Disneyland Resort Buys Even More Property

FigmentForver96

Well to be fair it took 46 years for Disneyland to open a second gate sooo I imagne it may be a while before they open a third. Especially with so much that can be done in both of the original parks.

TP2000

It sure is an exciting time to be a Disney fanatic.

I think the article that was linked to is probably most accurate. Disney wouldn't want to create a sky bridge to a separate part of the park. If I've ever heard of a way to take you out of the immersion of being in the park, that is one.

The sky bridge over Harbor via the Carousel Inn property won't be used to get people to/from a new theme park area. It will be used to get people to/from their cars parked in a massive new Pumbaa structure.

TP2000

I had a chance to go through the City of Anaheim Planning Department's information linked from the slashfilm website. There's a lot of juicy nuggets and interesting maps in there!

A few choice tidbits
  • Disney owns the Candy Cane Inn at 1747 S. Harbor Blvd. That little-known factoid had been mentioned a few years ago on another website, from someone who had a legal claim involving the Candy Cane Inn and the property owners listed on the documents were "Walt Disney Company". The latest property map from the city confirms it. DCA Marvel Land expansion potential!
  • Disney also owns the Alpine Inn at 715 W. Katella. That's about the very last kitschy motel from the 1950's left in Anaheim, and also kind of a dump. But it shows that Disney has the 7-11 and Palm Desert Inn surrounded!
  • Disney also owns the land under the SoCal Edison tension power lines along Disney Way. But it's tricky because Edison gets to dictate what happens beneath their lines to maintain access as an important public utility, which is totally understandable. Unless those lines get buried... Hmm.

Last edited:

dweezil78

I had a chance to go through the City of Anaheim Planning Department's information linked from the slashfilm website. There's a lot of juicy nuggets and interesting maps in there!

A few choice tidbits
  • Disney owns the Candy Cane Inn at 1747 S. Harbor Blvd. That little-known factoid had been mentioned a few years ago on another website, from someone who had a legal claim involving the Candy Cane Inn and the property owners listed on the documents were "Walt Disney Company". The latest property map from the city confirms it. DCA Marvel Land expansion potential!
  • Disney also owns the Alpine Inn at 715 W. Katella. That's about the very last kitschy motel from the 1950's left in Anaheim, and also kind of a dump. But it shows that Disney has the 7-11 and Palm Desert Inn surrounded!
  • Disney also owns the land under the SoCal Edison tension power lines along Disney Way. But it's tricky because Edison gets to dictate what happens beneath their lines to maintain access as an important public utility, which is totally understandable. Unless those lines get buried... Hmm.

Good finds! That land combined with the backstage parking just north of it would be plenty for a sizable DCA expansion. I imagine the owner of the Palm Desert Inn is going to have a prettttty nice pay day in the near future.

rle4lunch

The info out of Disneyland at the time of them buying the Carousel Inn is that current operations are going to continue and that there are no long term plans at this time for the Carousel Inn property. Trying to find the article were I read this from.

Of course they would say that. They wouldn't instantly announce demolition because it would drive business away from it, thinking that it wouldn't be maintained. Think from an economic point of view, not a Public Relations point of view.

TP2000

DVC expansion. Grand Cali isn't enough to meet demand, so at least a portion will be a new DVC build.

Take a look at the map, and the comments, in this thread again. We are talking about the new property Disney purchased on Manchester Ave. It's for parking and backstage infrastructure. It's not for anything involved with hotels or DVC or theme park rides.

TP2000

Good finds! That land combined with the backstage parking just north of it would be plenty for a sizable DCA expansion. I imagine the owner of the Palm Desert Inn is going to have a prettttty nice pay day in the near future.

Yeah, no kidding!

The best map in the city's Planning Department documents is titled Exhibit A - Disney Properties. It's a goldmine of info.

Although it's a map that is now a few months old. Disney purchased even more land not reflected on that map at the time. Like the business park at 1600-1640 Clementine St. They own that property too now.

TP2000

Reality wins again: We've already established this.

Exactly. I think the only people who might have thought there was something other than parking spaces and backstage offices going onto this property are very, very casual Disneyland fans. Or regular Screamscape.com readers, bless their little hearts.

Anyone following the main rumor sites for the last couple years knew this land was slated to be a new parking structure. Certainly all the regulars on this board and here in this thread have known that for over a year.

dweezil78

2) It won't be used to expand either park

Of course it will. Yes, they're obviously not going to stick a new attraction/area on an island by itself across the street -- but I think it's pretty clear they are going to use that new land to move facilities so they can free up space within the land immediately outside of Disneyland itself.

Also, what's with the negative attitude? This (the DLR sub) is one of the few forums I'm on where everyone is pretty respectful and adult-like. (Probably thanks largely in part to the small group here.)

lazyboy97o

Exactly. I think the only people who might have thought there was something other than parking spaces and backstage offices going onto this property are very, very casual Disneyland fans. Or regular Screamscape.com readers, bless their little hearts.

Anyone following the main rumor sites for the last couple years knew this land was slated to be a new parking structure. Certainly all the regulars on this board and here in this thread have known that for over a year.
He's trolling, believing that Disney's statements directly about the land negate any possibility that backstage relocations to this site would be a means of accommodating for future park expansion.

GiveMeTheMusic

I wonder if they'll say anything about this kinda stuff on Saturday. Not parking structures and office relocation, but why they're relocating offices and building a new parking structure.

Californian Elitist

Another parking structure is needed badly. I visited yesterday, got to the parks around 10 am. I was disappointed to find out Mickey and Friends was full and had to park in Toy Story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom