Disneyland Resort Buys Even More Property

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
http://screamscape.com/html/disneyland_resort.htm

Very interesting news from California came out a few hours ago, as it was announced that Disney had just closed a $48 million deal to purchase two large parcels of land near the park, 1515 and 1585 S. Manchester Ave. It is worth noting that this new batch of property connects right up to the backside of this year's previous purchase of the Carousel Inn to the West, and connects right up to Disney's existing Pumbaa parking lot.

For now, it seems Disney plan is to use the large building for office and warehouse space, and the future of the Pumbaa parking lot is currently destined to become the next giant parking structure for the Disneyland Resort as well, through probably mixed in with some of this new land purchased as well. But if you pull back to look at the bigger picture, taking in all of the land Disney now owns in Anaheim, there is one interesting target I see all by itself, that would perfectly connect up the new parcel and Pumbaa lot, to the large parcel Disney already owns to the south once earmarked as the site for a future 3rd park, that is currently used for overflow and cast member parking.

What is catching my eye is the Anaheim Gardenwalk mall site which looks ripe for the picking if Disney was so inclined. The small retail mall has been in the news on and off for awhile now as having financial problems, and never was fully built out to what it promised to be. In fact, just this past June the local news mentioned that Anaheim couldn't ever lure in hotel developers to the site with a $158 million in subsidies for the taking before they expired. It would be interesting to see if Disney gobbles up this project as well... either to scrap or to mix in as another Downtown Disney style retail wing with future hotel projects.

I checked to see if this was already made and didnt really find anything so...here we go lol.

Pixie VaVoom

OK - so is someone saying that the 'Carousel inn' either is no more...or is going under the wrecking ball!?! I haven't been to DL is almost a decade - but i LOVED the 'Carousel Inn'. Awwww...now i will be sad :(

dweezil78

OK - so is someone saying that the 'Carousel inn' either is no more...or is going under the wrecking ball!?! I haven't been to DL is almost a decade - but i LOVED the 'Carousel Inn'. Awwww...now i will be sad :(

No announcements have been made, but I would say make your reservations soon because I can't imagine Disney keeping it there for much longer.

Jahona

No announcements have been made, but I would say make your reservations soon because I can't imagine Disney keeping it there for much longer.

The info out of Disneyland at the time of them buying the Carousel Inn is that current operations are going to continue and that there are no long term plans at this time for the Carousel Inn property. Trying to find the article were I read this from.

TP2000

This isn't really news. Last year Miceage reported that Disney had just purchased those business parks on Manchester with plans to build a parking structure where Pumbaa now is.

And then we were talking about it in a thread here back in April/May and discussing how the Carousel Inn will be demolished for a skybridge that connects Disneyland with this huge piece of property destined to become a new parking structure. Here's that thread...
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-buys-carousel-inn-for-32-million.898794/

Although when we were discussing it last spring we didn't have the nifty color coded maps that the slashfilm.com site has just created. That really shows how it all fits together.

But dear, sweet Screamscape.com, I see they're still the clearing house of three month old rumors from around the Interwebz. Gotta love 'em. :rolleyes:

Californian Elitist

This isn't really news. Last year Miceage reported that Disney had just purchased those business parks on Manchester with plans to build a parking structure where Pumbaa now is.

And then we were talking about it in a thread here back in April/May and discussing how the Carousel Inn will be demolished for a skybridge that connects Disneyland with this huge piece of property destined to become a new parking structure. Here's that thread...
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-buys-carousel-inn-for-32-million.898794/

Although when we were discussing it last spring we didn't have the nifty color coded maps that the slashfilm.com site has just created. That really shows how it all fits together.

But dear, sweet Screamscape.com, I see they're still the clearing house of three month old rumors from around the Interwebz. Gotta love 'em. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

TP2000

Here's a good graphic of the property we're all talking about...
disneyland-anaheim-buys2.jpg

The Green shaded box is the Carousel Inn that Disney bought last April, to become a skybridge structure over Harbor Blvd. connecting Disneyland to the property on Clementine/Manchester Ave. That Harbor Blvd. skybridge discussion we had back in May is found in the other thread linked above.

The Purple 1 land is the big office park that Miceage reported a year ago that Disney had just purchased. The smaller building on the south is the US Immigration Service building for the LA region, and the bigger building to the north is currently the Sybron Dental company complex.

Sybron signed a 10 year lease on that building in May 2007, but I'm not sure if that lease can be broken any sooner. It's a massive building at 160,000+ square feet.

The Orange 2 land is the existing 1,300 space Pumbaa parking lot that's been owned by Disney since the mid 1990's.

And for those keeping score at home, Disney also owns the smaller office park just to the east of the Pumbaa lot, shown on this map wedged between Clementine and the Santa Ana Freeway. This property includes some recently condemned office buildings and the old Bergstrom's children's store that went out of business (the larger building on an angle alongside the freeway). Disney owns all that land now. Again, I go to the right cocktail parties.

I'm not a traffic engineer or an architect, but if I were a betting man, I would say that the adjacent office park/Bergstrom's property across from Pumbaa becomes part of the new freeway/road access and entry point to a new parking structure on Pumbaa. With Clementine Street in that block either sunk below grade for whatever minimal surface traffic that is left, or Clementine Street in that block eliminated altogether.

Because once Disney owns all that land and puts a massive parking structure there, Clementine north of Disney Way really serves no purpose. Manchester Ave. could continue to exist south towards the cul de sac near Bergstrom's.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Here's a good graphic of the property we're all talking about...
disneyland-anaheim-buys2.jpg

The Green shaded box is the Carousel Inn that Disney bought last April, to become a skybridge structure over Harbor Blvd. connecting Disneyland to the property on Clementine/Manchester Ave. That Harbor Blvd. skybridge discussion we had back in May is found in the other thread linked above.

The Purple 1 land is the big office park that Miceage reported a year ago that Disney had just purchased. The smaller building on the south is the US Immigration Service building for the LA region, and the bigger building to the north is currently the Sybron Dental company complex.

Sybron signed a 10 year lease on that building in May 2007, but I'm not sure if that lease can be broken any sooner. It's a massive building at 160,000+ square feet.

The Orange 2 land is the existing 1,300 space Pumbaa parking lot that's been owned by Disney since the mid 1990's.

And for those keeping score at home, Disney also owns the smaller office park just to the east of the Pumbaa lot, shown on this map wedged between Clementine and the Santa Ana Freeway. This property includes some recently condemned office buildings and the old Bergstrom's children's store that went out of business (the larger building on an angle alongside the freeway). Disney owns all that land now. Again, I go to the right cocktail parties.

I'm not a traffic engineer or an architect, but if I were a betting man, I would say that the adjacent office park/Bergstrom's property across from Pumbaa becomes part of the new freeway/road access and entry point to a new parking structure on Pumbaa. With Clementine Street in that block either sunk below grade for whatever minimal surface traffic that is left, or Clementine Street in that block eliminated altogether.

Because once Disney owns all that land and puts a massive parking structure there, Clementine north of Disney Way really serves no purpose. Manchester Ave. could continue to exist south towards the cul de sac near Bergstrom's.

OT, but I like how Google Maps thinks Gadget's Go Coaster is inside the Main Street Opera House.

Kramerica

It sure is an exciting time to be a Disney fanatic.

I think the article that was linked to is probably most accurate. Disney wouldn't want to create a sky bridge to a separate part of the park. If I've ever heard of a way to take you out of the immersion of being in the park, that is one.

Rather, it makes more sense to me, like the article states, to relocate a lot of that backstage area directly attached to the north of the park to this newly purchased area, and then use that new space to build their new project.

Can you imagine a Star Wars land themed as well as cars land is? Not saying that's what it would be. But I sure am excited.

GiveMeTheMusic

so that's definitely enough land for a 3rd park right ?

The eventual third park will be built on the current site of the Toy Story Lot.

It sure is an exciting time to be a Disney fanatic.

I think the article that was linked to is probably most accurate. Disney wouldn't want to create a sky bridge to a separate part of the park. If I've ever heard of a way to take you out of the immersion of being in the park, that is one.

Rather, it makes more sense to me, like the article states, to relocate a lot of that backstage area directly attached to the north of the park to this newly purchased area, and then use that new space to build their new project.

Can you imagine a Star Wars land themed as well as cars land is? Not saying that's what it would be. But I sure am excited.

That's what it would be. Backstage facilities are being moved across the street to the new parking structure complex. Star Wars Land will be a ginormous heavily themed Disneyland park expansion, taking over the current site of Toontown as well as a big chunk of backstage area.

Kramerica

Wait, you guys are talking about a third park?

Didn't Disney flat out say that there were no plans for a third gate?

Parking garage and relocated backstage facilities. The Toy Story Parking Lot is the third gate's land.

okay got ya. Only been to Disney cali once, Im more of a Tokyo and Florida guest but Id be up for another trip if they did another park for sure.

I do hope they keep toon town though. I really enjoyed it and enjoy it in Tokyo as well. Id be sad to see it torn down. Id rather see Marvel and Star wars go into Disney adventure or a 3rd park instead

Kramerica

Disney says a lot of things. There are plans for a third park, they're just not in motion. When DLR gets a third park, it will be on the site of the Toy Story Lot.

Sorry for being ignorant, but I'm by too familiar with the layout of Disneyland resort as a whole. I'm assuming the toy story lot is to the west of the two parks? Would it be able to work into the giant plaza between the two parks? Would be sort of a turn off two have the two parks conveniently across from one another and then another park floating off in the middle of nowhere.

Also, what's the plan for replacing the lost parking spaces from doing that?

GiveMeTheMusic

Sorry for being ignorant, but I'm by too familiar with the layout of Disneyland resort as a whole. I'm assuming the toy story lot is to the west of the two parks? Would it be able to work into the giant plaza between the two parks? Would be sort of a turn off two have the two parks conveniently across from one another and then another park floating off in the middle of nowhere.

Also, what's the plan for replacing the lost parking spaces from doing that?

Toy Story Lot is south of Katella on Harbor Blvd, disconnected from the other two parks. It's south and east of the current resort. Obviously if a park were built there some sort of efficient transport option would have to be installed by the resort to handle park hoppers.

It's assumed that the Pumbaa garage will offset lost spaces when the third gate starts construction. By then the resort may have other parking options in the hopper as well. The third gate is at least 10 years away in my estimation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom