Disneyland Resort Buys Even More Property

Old Mouseketeer

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I came upon something interesting and wanted to share it here.

If you want to go and click on the link bellow, you will see some interesting things that have been filed by Disney in regards to parking and circulation in the last few months:

http://gis.anaheim.net/developmentactivity/

Is the Pumba lot currently used for Cast Member parking? If so, I assume that the property at 1710-1730 Anaheim Blvd will be used to replace that parking while the new structure is being built.

I don't know if Disney owns this property, but my understanding/assumption is that they have been using it for a construction staging area for years, including construction of Carsland. I was assuming that they would be using it for staging for SWL.

Meanwhile, you can see from Manchester Street that demolition continues on 1515 Manchester which, as the permit above says, was slated to be the new home of WDI and other support functions for the resort. This was told to me by my rebel spies last year. I would infer from these changes that possibly Pumbaa lot may be spared until Phase II of the East Parking Structure and the 1515 and 1585 buildings will constitute Phase I. But I've been wrong before.

(No Bothan spies were even insulted or annoyed in reporting these secrets.)

Old Mouseketeer

I don't know if Disney owns this property, but my understanding/assumption is that they have been using it for a construction staging area for years, including construction of Carsland. I was assuming that they would be using it for staging for SWL.

Meanwhile, you can see from Manchester Street that demolition continues on 1515 Manchester which, as the permit above says, was slated to be the new home of WDI and other support functions for the resort. This was told to me by my rebel spies last year. I would infer from these changes that possibly Pumbaa lot may be spared until Phase II of the East Parking Structure and the 1515 and 1585 buildings will constitute Phase I. But I've been wrong before.

(No Bothan spies were even insulted or annoyed in reporting these secrets.)

OK, I've spotted a discrepancy on the Anaheim permitting page that was referenced above
http://gis.anaheim.net/developmentactivity/. The grid on the May 23, 2016 page lists the address in item #3 as 1710-1730 Anaheim Blvd, which would be the old Flaky Jakes/Spectrum lot fronting Katella, next to Del Taco. However, if you zoom in on the map, item #3 is shown as being on the other side of the freeway at 1710-1730 Anaheim WAY.

Meanwhile, back on the April 19, 2016 page, item #6 lists a 350 room hotel at 1721 S. Manchester, which would also encompass 1710-1730 Anaheim BLVD. So the Anaheim Way location is something completely new. Also in evidence on another page is a permit for a hotel on the former Bergstroms location across from Pumbaa Lot, next to the freeway and the new hotel being built.

TP2000

Bergstrom's was infamous in OC real estate circles for refusing to sell their property to Disney, even though Disney was waving huge money at them. Bergstrom's was still holding a grudge from the late 1990's when the Resort District widened roads and cut off the easy freeway access Bergstrom's once had.

Disney finally gave up on the Bergstrom family and shifted its parking expansion focus to north of the Pumbaa lot instead of east of it.

In the meantime, Bergstrom's business failed as the Internet put specialty stores out of business, and they had to close their Anaheim store in August, 2013. Their Irvine store closed later when the entire business went bankrupt. Now Bergstrom's is extinct and a failed brand, while their property goes to a lower motel bidder years later.

In 2016 Disneyland is still there, still doing huge business, and still getting the parking expansion it wanted.

Winner: Disneyland
Loser: Bergstrom's

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

It's a shame about the surrounding city. Sorry to say. I know the people who live there might take offense. I get that there are businesses. I'm not an idiot. I know how the world works. But the areas immediately surrounding Disneyland on Harbor are pretty trashy. It's a shame they can't just absorb all of that garbage. Those crappy motels, ghetto shoe stores and Carls Jr.? I'm drunk, but I know I'm right.

Animaniac93-98

It's a shame about the surrounding city. Sorry to say. I know the people who live there might take offense. I get that there are businesses. I'm not an idiot. I know how the world works. But the areas immediately surrounding Disneyland on Harbor are pretty trashy. It's a shame they can't just absorb all of that garbage. Those crappy motels, ghetto shoe stores and Carls Jr.? I'm drunk, but I know I'm right.

I think Walt would have agreed.

Walt-Disney-Treasures-Tomorrow-Land-Map-of-Disney-Florida-Project.jpg

Also, the drive from LAX to Disneyland is boring and ugly for the same reasons. Everywhere you look is concrete and grey. The roads, the buildings, even the sky somewhat. Then you get underneath the railroad station and you see all these pretty little buildings, gas lamps, flowers and trees. It's so surreal.

Last edited:

5thGenTexan

It would be nice if a couple of elevated walkways could be built across Harbor like in Las Vegas. We crossed several times and I never fully trusted everyone to stop. The walk along Harbor was interesting too. Hoping one of those cars turning in of Harbor wouldn't take you out. We stayed at the HOJO and after the first day we crossed at Manchester and went ahead and crossed Harbor right there. It felt a little safer on that side unless the homeless people sleeping in the landscaping along the Disney fence or on the bus stop benches bother you.

D

Deleted member 107043

It would be nice if a couple of elevated walkways could be built across Harbor like in Las Vegas. We crossed several times and I never fully trusted everyone to stop. The walk along Harbor was interesting too. Hoping one of those cars turning in of Harbor wouldn't take you out. We stayed at the HOJO and after the first day we crossed at Manchester and went ahead and crossed Harbor right there. It felt a little safer on that side unless the homeless people sleeping in the landscaping along the Disney fence or on the bus stop benches bother you.

This is why I almost always choose to stay on property when vacationing there. The immediate area around DLR has come a long way, but not enough for me to give up Disney's controlled environment.

Stevek

This is why I almost always choose to stay on property when vacationing there. The immediate area around DLR has come a long way, but not enough for me to give up Disney's controlled environment.
I worked in Anaheim from 1992-2006, both of our office locations about a mile from Disneyland. The area directly around the resort (think Harbor) has improved dramatically but as you go North, South or West, you get into areas that are a little less "desireable." I did work many late nights but never, ever felt concerned for my safety...but I know a few women co-workers that didn't have that same feeling. Bank robberies (in our building) and an abundance of homeless people caused the office to eventually relocate to Irvine. Our Anaheim office was in the Wells Fargo building, corner of Harbor and Broadway as a point of reference.

D

Deleted member 107043

I worked in Anaheim from 1992-2006, both of our office locations about a mile from Disneyland. The area directly around the resort (think Harbor) has improved dramatically but as you go North, South or West, you get into areas that are a little less "desireable." I did work many late nights but never, ever felt concerned for my safety...but I know a few women co-workers that didn't have that same feeling. Bank robberies (in our building) and an abundance of homeless people caused the office to eventually relocate to Irvine. Our Anaheim office was in the Wells Fargo building, corner of Harbor and Broadway as a point of reference.

I live in SF, which I'm ashamed to say has about 149 homeless people per square mile, so seeing them is no big shock to me. However, I feel safe here and I've never encountered any serious problems. This is probably a discussion for another thread, but the number of homeless people living on the streets in urban areas like Anaheim, SF and LA is shameful. We can do better.

George Lucas on a Bench

You know where you cross West Street on the walkway to the parking garage, with the crossing light? There have been several occasions where I thought I was going to die because someone was about to fly through a red light or make a right turn on red and take me along for the ride. Even recently. Even in the daytime. I would appreciate a bridge there.

Phroobar

You know where you cross West Street on the walkway to the parking garage, with the crossing light? There have been several occasions where I thought I was going to die because someone was about to fly through a red light or make a right turn on red and take me along for the ride. Even recently. Even in the daytime. I would appreciate a bridge there.
I agree. It's not a safe cross walk. Maybe that area will improve with the new hotel?

Stevek

I live in SF, which I'm ashamed to say has about 149 homeless people per square mile, so seeing them is no big shock to me. However, I feel safe here and I've never encountered any serious problems. This is probably a discussion for another thread, but the number of homeless people living on the streets in urban areas like Anaheim, SF and LA is shameful. We can do better.
Very true. Even in Anaheim it didn't bother me per say other than what you point out...we can and should do better. Off topic but our first trip to SF with our daughters...we're driving on Market around Powell and I kid you not, a guy is squatting in the street taking a dump. We quickly pointed out something interesting out the other side of the car so the girls wouldn't see. That would have been a great introduction to one of my favorite cities of all time.

D

Deleted member 107043

I was reading an article recently that SF has an unusually high number of mentally ill homeless people but no one knows exactly why. The situation is sad and troubling.

Anyway, back on topic...

Old Mouseketeer

I was reading an article recently that SF has an unusually high number of mentally ill homeless people but no one knows exactly why. The situation is sad and troubling.

Anyway, back on topic...

It may be off-topic, but it's still relevant. Sadly, efforts to take people with mental disabilities out of institutional settings (many of which were little better than incarceration) in the last 30-40 years were underfunded and sometimes poorly executed. Hence the large numbers who have fallen through the cracks.

What is particularly relevant (even while something of a buzz kill in a discussion about the "Happiest Place on Earth") is the sad fact that there are DL Cast Members who are homeless or transient. I'll never forget the first time I was driving along Katella or Harbor and saw a CM in costume leaving one of the older, unrenovated Motels. Moreover, there are hundreds, if not thousands, on various forms of public assistance, ranging from food stamps to Medi-Cal/Medicaid (publicly funded health insurance). Basically, the only difference between Walmart and Disney is that 1) Walmart actually teaches their employees how to file for government assistance and 2) Disney has a cute, fuzzy mascot.

I have loved Disney since my childhood--I am a true Disney geek in good standing. But Disney is no different than much of corporate America in paying vast numbers of people less than a living wage. So remember this before you abuse a CM. I have many friends who have worked there. They have worked alongside people who lived four people in a one-bedroom apartment, and struggled to survive. They have told me of a cast member who came to work with dirty hair and smelling bad because he was homeless. He was eventually fired for stealing food from a break room fridge because he was so undernourished he was gaunt. Others had rotting teeth or untreated medical problems, some of which were visible, because they had no health insurance and couldn't afford treatment.

I'm sorry for being of-topic. But we need to be reminded that the CM who tells us we can't stand in the walkway or that an attraction is closed or that Fastpasses have run out is making less than a living wage. And if you ever see someone verbally harassing or insulting a CM, step up and tell them to knock it off, because the CM can't.

OK, end of sermon. I know we go to Disney Parks to escape and be entertained (and on these discussion boards). But we don't really leave reality behind--we just pretend it isn't there.

D

Deleted member 107043

It may be off-topic, but it's still relevant. Sadly, efforts to take people with mental disabilities out of institutional settings (many of which were little better than incarceration) in the last 30-40 years were underfunded and sometimes poorly executed. Hence the large numbers who have fallen through the cracks.

What is particularly relevant (even while something of a buzz kill in a discussion about the "Happiest Place on Earth") is the sad fact that there are DL Cast Members who are homeless or transient. I'll never forget the first time I was driving along Katella or Harbor and saw a CM in costume leaving one of the older, unrenovated Motels. Moreover, there are hundreds, if not thousands, on various forms of public assistance, ranging from food stamps to Medi-Cal/Medicaid (publicly funded health insurance). Basically, the only difference between Walmart and Disney is that 1) Walmart actually teaches their employees how to file for government assistance and 2) Disney has a cute, fuzzy mascot.

I have loved Disney since my childhood--I am a true Disney geek in good standing. But Disney is no different than much of corporate America in paying vast numbers of people less than a living wage. So remember this before you abuse a CM. I have many friends who have worked there. They have worked alongside people who lived four people in a one-bedroom apartment, and struggled to survive. They have told me of a cast member who came to work with dirty hair and smelling bad because he was homeless. He was eventually fired for stealing food from a break room fridge because he was so undernourished he was gaunt. Others had rotting teeth or untreated medical problems, some of which were visible, because they had no health insurance and couldn't afford treatment.

I'm sorry for being of-topic. But we need to be reminded that the CM who tells us we can't stand in the walkway or that an attraction is closed or that Fastpasses have run out is making less than a living wage. And if you ever see someone verbally harassing or insulting a CM, step up and tell them to knock it off, because the CM can't.

OK, end of sermon. I know we go to Disney Parks to escape and be entertained (and on these discussion boards). But we don't really leave reality behind--we just pretend it isn't there.

Thanks for posting this. It needed to be said.

Old Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting this. It needed to be said.

Thank you for replying. I have known Disneyland workers before they were called Cast Members (Walt called them Hosts and Hostesses). My father had a weekend employee who was a full-time DL worker decades ago, and my mother's boss's wife worked there, too. Both signed us in many times. We hired a DL painter to paint our house (he painted the shooting galleries in Frontierland and Adventureland at dawn, among other things). People I care about have both benefited and thrived from working there (although not so much as the years have passed) and, unfortunately, been treated very badly. Not only from the company, but from guests. They deserve better from both.

GiveMeTheMusic

Thank you for replying. I have known Disneyland workers before they were called Cast Members (Walt called them Hosts and Hostesses). My father had a weekend employee who was a full-time DL worker decades ago, and my mother's boss's wife worked there, too. Both signed us in many times. We hired a DL painter to paint our house (he painted the shooting galleries in Frontierland and Adventureland at dawn, among other things). People I care about have both benefited and thrived from working there (although not so much as the years have passed) and, unfortunately, been treated very badly. Not only from the company, but from guests. They deserve better from both.

Modern day Disney mistreats its employees on a level that would shock and disgust most guests, if they had any real clue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom