Disneyland Resort Buys Even More Property

NiarrNDisney

Looks like Uncle Walt will be a little closer to getting his wish of the park not being completely surrounded by cheap motels and seedy businesses that ruined the views from his park and further his vision that later became Walt Disney World!

Californian Elitist

Looks like Uncle Walt will be a little closer to getting his wish of the park not being completely surrounded by cheap motels and seedy businesses that ruined the views from his park and further his vision that later became Walt Disney World!

The park is not surrounded by seedy businesses and hotels. That ended years ago. Also, the Disneyland dream is completely different from the E.P.C.O.T. dream.

NiarrNDisney

The park is not surrounded by seedy businesses and hotels. That ended years ago. Also, the Disneyland dream is completely different from the E.P.C.O.T. dream.

Yes I noticed that the surrounding area looks much better than what I had seen in pictures from the past but either way the resort will have more land now to grow and put space between it and the outside world.

As for Walts dream: He mentioned many times how he did not care for the way the area around Disneyland grew to be and made plans that if and when he built another park he would make sure to purchase enough land, that way once the park was built the company could continue to create and control the areas that surround it which in this case includes the resorts and other parks. Yes E.P.C.O.T was his overall dream for an ultimate utopia but it began because of his dislike of the views outside of his prototype Disneyland.

Californian Elitist

Yes I noticed that the surrounding area looks much better than what I had seen in pictures from the past but either way the resort will have more land now to grow and put space between it and the outside world.

As for Walts dream: He mentioned many times how he did not care for the way the area around Disneyland grew to be and made plans that if and when he built another park he would make sure to purchase enough land, that way once the park was built the company could continue to create and control the areas that surround it which in this case includes the resorts and other parks. Yes E.P.C.O.T. was his overall dream for an ultimate utopia but it began because of his dislike of the views outside of his prototype Disneyland.

The buildings that are being relocated are towards the back of Toontown, on Ball. The majority of the hotels are not in that area, but on Harbor. There are some on Katella and Ball, though.

I'm not denying Walt was upset about Disneyland's surroundings. I misunderstood your wording (I got the impression you were comparing Disneyland to E.P.C.O.T.). In saying that, I think it's strange to say Walt's idea of a man-made city sprouted from Disneyland's surroundings. He did enjoy the fact his city would have more space than Disneyland, yes.

This is all somewhat off topic, so I will leave it at that.

dweezil78

Another parking structure is needed badly. I visited yesterday, got to the parks around 10 am. I was disappointed to find out Mickey and Friends was full and had to park in Toy Story.

Whaaaaaaat... Full at 10am!? That's crazy! Are you sure they weren't just redirecting cars to Toy Story to avoid traffic congestion and help balance things out? I've definitely seen that happen before.

Californian Elitist

Whaaaaaaat... Full at 10am!? That's crazy! Are you sure they weren't just redirecting cars to Toy Story to avoid traffic congestion and help balance things out? I've definitely seen that happen before.

Yep, I'm sure! Said parking lot was full. I was flabbergasted. You should have seen the bus lines for everyone who parked in Toy Story.

corona79

Believe it or not , "a new parking structure" is not "expanding a park".

So, in other "news", a third of August is gone and the WDW "news" site has only three weeks for FP+ testing to start.

TP2000

Believe it or not , "a new parking structure" is not "expanding a park".

So, in other "news", a third of August is gone and the WDW "news" site has only three weeks for FP+ testing to start.

We're a happy little group here. We don't always agree 100% with each other, but it's a fun place to chat and share with friends.

Do you realize no one understands what you are saying in most of your comments (like this latest one), and your thoughts just come off as being grumpy and oddly argumentative for no apparent reason?

Phroobar

I got there yesterday about 4pm and there was plenty of room in M&F parking. In the morning they like to redirect people to Toy Story. Since I have handicap tag, I park in Chip & Dale even if the cop is redirecting everyone to Toy Story.

Travel Junkie

While we wait for a new parking structure, a permit was filed the other day in what looks like the first sign of expanding the Toy Story lot.

Permit #: BLD2015-02044 Address: 1900 S HARBOR BLVD
Issued: 8/13/2015 Contractor: WHITING TURNER CONTRACTING CO
Census: 565 Phone #: 949 863 0800
Parcel #: 13718112 Type Of Work: Blockwall / Columns
Valuation: $20,000.00 Description: Toy Story Parking Lot (SP-9) - Parking Lot Expansion - Site development: Construct 1,730 lineal feet of 16' high sound wall, install 6 new 33' high parking lot light poles and relocate another 3 existing parking lot light poles to expand existing Toy

Stevek

While we wait for a new parking structure, a permit was filed the other day in what looks like the first sign of expanding the Toy Story lot.

Permit #: BLD2015-02044 Address: 1900 S HARBOR BLVD
Issued: 8/13/2015 Contractor: WHITING TURNER CONTRACTING CO
Census: 565 Phone #: 949 863 0800
Parcel #: 13718112 Type Of Work: Blockwall / Columns
Valuation: $20,000.00 Description: Toy Story Parking Lot (SP-9) - Parking Lot Expansion - Site development: Construct 1,730 lineal feet of 16' high sound wall, install 6 new 33' high parking lot light poles and relocate another 3 existing parking lot light poles to expand existing Toy
Looking at the satellite view and assuming Disney owns all the property that looks like dirt, I'm assuming they are either going to use the southeast corner or south sections that are currently undeveloped.

TP2000

Looking at the satellite view and assuming Disney owns all the property that looks like dirt, I'm assuming they are either going to use the southeast corner or south sections that are currently undeveloped.

I think the key info here is the length of new sound wall at 1,730 feet and the addition of six new light poles. Based on the satellite image and spacing of existing light poles, and the length of the wall, that doesn't appear to be enough to use the southeast corner and southern sections. But six new light poles and 1,700 feet of wall would be perfect for the narrow strip of dirt along the eastern side of what is now CM parking attached to the Katella CM parking lot, behind the apartments on Haster Street.

This appears to be expansion of the CM parking lot, not the Toy Story lot for paying visitors, although it's technically the Toy Story lot because it's also accessible via Harbor Blvd. and an access road from the Buzz Lightyear section of the lot.

And with that discussion, we've now landed very firmly in theme park nerd land. :D

Travel Junkie

from @OCDisney on twitter.

CMuPbUGUYAEUq0A.jpg:large

Stevek

I think the key info here is the length of new sound wall at 1,730 feet and the addition of six new light poles. Based on the satellite image and spacing of existing light poles, and the length of the wall, that doesn't appear to be enough to use the southeast corner and southern sections. But six new light poles and 1,700 feet of wall would be perfect for the narrow strip of dirt along the eastern side of what is now CM parking attached to the Katella CM parking lot, behind the apartments on Haster Street.

This appears to be expansion of the CM parking lot, not the Toy Story lot for paying visitors, although it's technically the Toy Story lot because it's also accessible via Harbor Blvd. and an access road from the Buzz Lightyear section of the lot.

That eastern wall, from the CM parking lot to the end is about 1000 feet based on the google maps scale so that would cover a portion of it but another 700 feet not accounted for...that's alot going up somewhere else?. Does Disney own all of that property that is currently dirt? I always assumed they did but find it a bit odd that they paved the whole place, didn't touch those areas. That southeast corner appears to be some type of runoff/reservoir. It looks like it has large drains going into it so likely nothing going on there....which cuts down the length of that eastern wall to around 700-800 feet.

If we weren't in nerd land before, we certainly are deep into it now.

kibia16

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I came upon something interesting and wanted to share it here.

If you want to go and click on the link bellow, you will see some interesting things that have been filed by Disney in regards to parking and circulation in the last few months:

http://gis.anaheim.net/developmentactivity/

February 23: DEV2016-00014 - 333 W Disney Way (Pumba Parking Structure) - Conceptual Development Review for a Parking Structure, transportation hub, pedestrian pathway and bridge to serve the Disneyland Resort.

May 17: DEV2014-00064C - 1900 S Harbor Blvd (Toy Story Lot) - Permit the expansion of an existing temporary surface parking lot.

May 31: DEV2016-00056 - 1710-1730 S Anaheim Blvd. - Conceptual Development Review to permit a cast parking lot and outdoor storage area for Walt Disney Parks & Resorts.

Is the Pumba lot currently used for Cast Member parking? If so, I assume that the property at 1710-1730 Anaheim Blvd will be used to replace that parking while the new structure is being built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom