Disneyland Resort Buys Even More Property

BrianLo

Just double checked and they are no longer taking bookings after October 15. Previously when I was on the website last week it ended March 31.

Wonder if this got fast tracked somewhat.

For all of Chapek's supposed flaws, he at least gets things done, unlike Staggs.

mm121

Here's a good graphic of the property we're all talking about...
disneyland-anaheim-buys2.jpg

The Orange 2 land is the existing 1,300 space Pumbaa parking lot that's been owned by Disney since the mid 1990's.

And for those keeping score at home, Disney also owns the smaller office park just to the east of the Pumbaa lot, shown on this map wedged between Clementine and the Santa Ana Freeway. This property includes some recently condemned office buildings and the old Bergstrom's children's store that went out of business (the larger building on an angle alongside the freeway). Disney owns all that land now. Again, I go to the right cocktail parties.

if disney owns the land east of the orange pumba lot what are they building there? on the east side of clemente

mm121

I had a chance to go through the City of Anaheim Planning Department's information linked from the slashfilm website. There's a lot of juicy nuggets and interesting maps in there!

A few choice tidbits
  • Disney owns the Candy Cane Inn at 1747 S. Harbor Blvd. That little-known factoid had been mentioned a few years ago on another website, from someone who had a legal claim involving the Candy Cane Inn and the property owners listed on the documents were "Walt Disney Company". The latest property map from the city confirms it. DCA Marvel Land expansion potential!
  • Disney also owns the Alpine Inn at 715 W. Katella. That's about the very last kitschy motel from the 1950's left in Anaheim, and also kind of a dump. But it shows that Disney has the 7-11 and Palm Desert Inn surrounded!
  • Disney also owns the land under the SoCal Edison tension power lines along Disney Way. But it's tricky because Edison gets to dictate what happens beneath their lines to maintain access as an important public utility, which is totally understandable. Unless those lines get buried... Hmm.
why would disney just not tear down the hotels to drive traffic to their on site hotels?

mm121

I would doubt it. Their lodging options are all on the west side of the property, and they seem to like it that way with the announcement of a fourth swanky hotel over there. They passed on buying GardenWalk at least twice in the last five years, after all. They still have dozens of acres of surface parking lots to use even after the new hotel and parking structure go up on the Downtown Disney lots.

They haven't even touched the Simba parking lot and the 1980's Paradise Pier Hotel that will eventually be imploded.

Simba is the red square in this aerial photo. Mr. Trump says it's HUUUUGE!
swland2.jpg~original

Everything east of Harbor is chopped up by random motels and hotels. It's a minor miracle they amassed the property they did for the new structure, and I know from friends in OC real estate circles that Disney had been working for years on that deal. That they had to buy out a 200 room hotel and will soon tear it down to build a skybridge over Harbor tells you just how involved and complicated this plan was.

thats really dumb they didnt buy garden walk

i'm sure in a few years when they want to build a 3rd park they will be regretting it, it would have enabled them to connect a walkway all the way from the current parks down to toy story

they could have done something like this!

Disneyland East Ultimate Resort Expansion Options

masterplan access to 3rd gate.jpg

Last edited:

mm121

Hi. We're from Disney and it would good if you "retire" now so we can level the motel you've worked at for thirty years and put in a walk way. That would be great. No hard feelings. Have a fast pass for It's Tough to be a Bug.

32 million bucks isnt a bad sum to retire on

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom