A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Late Night Musings:

Almost bought jorts today (OK, not a musing ... more a what I was looking at in Macy's deal).

Another great name in American business is likely to disappear very soon as the troubled A&P grocery chain filed for bankruptcy protection for the second time in five years. I doubt most people here beyond the small footprint in New England and the NY area even know what they were. I remember when they were in Downtown Kissimmee and Walmart wasn't even in the market. My only point in bringing it up is it's just another example of what can happen to you with decades of corporate mismanagement while others can do what you did better. (No, Disney isn't going out of business tomorrow despite how TPFKaTD-MGMS looks today. But nothing in life is guaranteed beyond death!)

Onto Disney matters after this brief weather bulletin, did y'all hear that there was a MAJOR rain storm in SoCal on Sunday? Anaheim was pummeled ... yes deluged by ... by ... by a quarter of an inch of rain all day (I hear @TP2000 was seen sandbagging in his tony Villa Park 'hood while wearing a monogrammed bath robe and sipping a martini!:eek::D:cool:) Yes, the remnants of Hurricane Delores gave the Southland some much needed rain (while washing out a bridge on I-10 connecting Palm Springs with Phoenix ... a bridge that was built in 1967!) Hell, the Angels and Padres both had HOME RAINOUTS! The funniest thing is the media coverage (it's always breathless because people in paradise do not know how to deal with rains falling from the heavens!) I heard from KABC-7 (put the kids to bed Matilda, this be scary adult stuff!) that people in DL were wearing PONCHOS!?! !I KNOW!!!! ... Bottom line, I think I sweat more than a quarter of an inch of precip walking from the mailbox to my front door!

Speaking of media. If you are interested in ephemera (a word for something I never knew until I met the Epcot Explorer and he learned me!), the OC Register put out a special edition for DL's 60th that was apparently given away to Guests on Friday. Now, I'm sure I don't know any fanbois there from O-Town who walked away with 36 copies (hopefully 1-2 for me) but you can purchase the commemorative edition thru their website for $10, including shipping. Nice and I don't recall them doing this for the 50th, which I attended.

OK, no more $107 offers for the ASMu any longer. Nope, times must be getting tougher as we move into late summer as now I'm getting $84 Pop Century offers. To be fair, I've paid as much as $79 plus tax for Disney value motels over the years, so I can't really say that isn't a good price if you wish to be on property. But as someone who got rooms for as little as $30 with CM rates and routinely got $49 and $59 AP and FL resident rates, it still feels on the high side of fair.

Ant-Man opened and did grasshopper type numbers pulling in $58 million. Not bad at all, although the company was predicting $65 million and used the 'rain' in SoCal as part of the reason why it didn't reach those levels. Still, with a budget of 'only' $130 million, this film doesn't have to do crazy business to bee (see what I did there?) a buzzing, stinging sensation. I'm seeing it tomorrow!

Congrats to Pixar as Inside Out still hangs strong and went over $300 million in the USA to become the third-biggest film for them behind Toy Story 3 and Finding Nemo.

Let's talk a little Shanghai, shall we? Good. Word I'm getting from the left coast is that a lot of folks wish to throw blame for SDL's difficulties on Bob Weis, which I find more than amusing. The issues with that resort go to much higher levels than WDI's 'lead' (who has less creative control than likely anyone to have that title has in the past). People want to paint a picture that leaves out Iger, Staggs and Rasulo's messy relationship with the CCP to fit their own agendas. As I've said, I think the design work on the park largely appears to be top notch. The biggest issue is the decision to place DisneyTown right up against the park.

That decision, btw, wasn't so much a creative one from WDI, but rather an edict from Shendi that WDI designed around. Again, SDL is being sold to many people (as in hundreds of millions) as a place you can come to for entertainment and leisure for FREE. That means, the lake, the shopping area etc. And you can bet these visitors will wind up being put into the attendance. One would hope that reputable organizations like TEA don't simply allow that when Disney/Shendi says ''we had 17 million visitors here in the first nine months'' because that doesn't tell the story. Plenty of people visit the various Downtown Disney's and City Walk's without ever paying to set foot in a theme park.

BTW, a little birdie told me that The Lifestyle Center That Will Officially Be Known as Disney Springs as of October 1st is doing remarkably well despite the insane construction and parking chaos. People are coming and people are spending. But there are a few locations hurting because of the walls and the way traffic is being routed and have let Disney know of their displeasure.

Club 33 seems to be moving forward yet again for WDW. I have no further information at this time. But I have a nagging feeling that they won't be placing this at the MK at all.

PhotoDave219

OK, no more $107 offers for the ASMu any longer. Nope, times must be getting tougher as we move into late summer as now I'm getting $84 Pop Century offers. To be fair, I've paid as much as $79 plus tax for Disney value motels over the years, so I can't really say that isn't a good price if you wish to be on property. But as someone who got rooms for as little as $30 with CM rates and routinely got $49 and $59 AP and FL resident rates, it still feels on the high side of fair.

So here's what doesnt make any sense to me. If the resort is pulling 25% Peak days on the Yeah, MK is pulling 33% peak crowd.... If the crowds are so batcrazy, WHY are they offering discounts?

I can't reconcile this as its been insane since Memorial Day weekend. Statistically abnormally busy up and over beyond Summer 2013 & 14.

Driving me nuts trying to make any sense of this.... and then the mouse offers those discounts. Ugh.

Longhairbear

Almost bought jorts today (OK, not a musing ... more a what I was looking at in Macy's deal).

Another great name in American business is likely to disappear very soon as the troubled A&P grocery chain filed for bankruptcy protection for the second time in five years. I doubt most people here beyond the small footprint in New England and the NY area even know what they were. I remember when they were in Downtown Kissimmee and Walmart wasn't even in the market. My only point in bringing it up is it's just another example of what can happen to you with decades of corporate mismanagement while others can do what you did better. (No, Disney isn't going out of business tomorrow despite how TPFKaTD-MGMS looks today. But nothing in life is guaranteed beyond death!)

Onto Disney matters after this brief weather bulletin, did y'all hear that there was a MAJOR rain storm in SoCal on Sunday? Anaheim was pummeled ... yes deluged by ... by ... by a quarter of an inch of rain all day (I hear @TP2000 was seen sandbagging in his tony Villa Park 'hood while wearing a monogrammed bath robe and sipping a martini!:eek::D:cool:) Yes, the remnants of Hurricane Delores gave the Southland some much needed rain (while washing out a bridge on I-10 connecting Palm Springs with Phoenix ... a bridge that was built in 1967!) Hell, the Angels and Padres both had HOME RAINOUTS! The funniest thing is the media coverage (it's always breathless because people in paradise do not know how to deal with rains falling from the heavens!) I heard from KABC-7 (put the kids to bed Matilda, this be scary adult stuff!) that people in DL were wearing PONCHOS!?! !I KNOW!!!! ... Bottom line, I think I sweat more than a quarter of an inch of precip walking from the mailbox to my front door!

Speaking of media. If you are interested in ephemera (a word for something I never knew until I met the Epcot Explorer and he learned me!), the OC Register put out a special edition for DL's 60th that was apparently given away to Guests on Friday. Now, I'm sure I don't know any fanbois there from O-Town who walked away with 36 copies (hopefully 1-2 for me) but you can purchase the commemorative edition thru their website for $10, including shipping. Nice and I don't recall them doing this for the 50th, which I attended.

Ant-Man opened and did grasshopper type numbers pulling in $58 million. Not bad at all, although the company was predicting $65 million and used the 'rain' in SoCal as part of the reason why it didn't reach those levels. Still, with a budget of 'only' $130 million, this film doesn't have to do crazy business to bee (see what I did there?) a buzzing, stinging sensation. I'm seeing it tomorrow!

Congrats to Pixar as Inside Out still hangs strong and went over $300 million in the USA to become the third-biggest film for them behind Toy Story 3 and Finding Nemo.

Let's talk a little Shanghai, shall we? Good. Word I'm getting from the left coast is that a lot of folks wish to throw blame for SDL's difficulties on Bob Weis, which I find more than amusing. The issues with that resort go to much higher levels than WDI's 'lead' (who has less creative control than likely anyone to have that title has in the past). People want to paint a picture that leaves out Iger, Staggs and Rasulo's messy relationship with the CCP to fit their own agendas. As I've said, I think the design work on the park largely appears to be top notch. The biggest issue is the decision to place DisneyTown right up against the park.

That decision, btw, wasn't so much a creative one from WDI, but rather an edict from Shendi that WDI designed around. Again, SDL is being sold to many people (as in hundreds of millions) as a place you can come to for entertainment and leisure for FREE. That means, the lake, the shopping area etc. And you can bet these visitors will wind up being put into the attendance. One would hope that reputable organizations like TEA don't simply allow that when Disney/Shendi says ''we had 17 million visitors here in the first nine months'' because that doesn't tell the story. Plenty of people visit the various Downtown Disney's and City Walk's without ever paying to set foot in a theme park.

BTW, a little birdie told me that The Lifestyle Center That Will Officially Be Known as Disney Springs as of October 1st is doing remarkably well despite the insane construction and parking chaos. People are coming and people are spending. But there are a few locations hurting because of the walls and the way traffic is being routed and have let Disney know of their displeasure.

Club 33 seems to be moving forward yet again for WDW. I have no further information at this time. But I have a nagging feeling that they won't be placing this at the MK at all.

I'm originally from MA, and loved shopping at A&P. Sorry to see the brand doing poorly. Now I'm Palm Springs, and LOVE how the CA media reports rainstorms along with camera in the gutter photos, and videos.

Cosmic Commando

I'm really pulling for the film, because I loved it. It did end up being #1 in its third weekend, so now every Pixar film has been #1 at the box office. I'd say it's almost certain that it will pass Finding Nemo eventually. I'm impressed that it held up so well in a weekend where another kids movie came out. It's interesting to note: at this point in its release, Frozen had earned less than half of its total domestic earnings. Inside Out has earned over $100M more than Frozen during the same amount of time. Inside Out doesn't have dat song, so little girls probably won't still be dragging their parents to see it in October, but hopefully Disney realizes that they have something good here.

djlaosc

I've had a look at this to see how much it would cost to ship to the UK. For anyone that has done this, once you log in to Paypal, have you paid, or do you get a chance to check the order beforehand?

It says $2.00 shipping before logging in, but I wouldn't want to log in and be locked in to the purchase if the postage balloons to $40 or so...

Cesar R M

You can always buy these.. just saying..
sDQH37g.png

Cesar R M

So here's what doesnt make any sense to me. If the resort is pulling 25% Peak days on the Yeah, MK is pulling 33% peak crowd.... If the crowds are so batcrazy, WHY are they offering discounts?

I can't reconcile this as its been insane since Memorial Day weekend. Statistically abnormally busy up and over beyond Summer 2013 & 14.

Driving me nuts trying to make any sense of this.... and then the mouse offers those discounts. Ugh.
Question. are the hotels THAT busy? or are JUST THE PARKS busy?
is DVC full to the seams? (and eating the normal hotel's business?)

In other news.. boxoffice reports that Jurassic World is mere 6 millions away from taking the #3 spot of all time from the AVENGERS.

I've had a look at this to see how much it would cost to ship to the UK. For anyone that has done this, once you log in to Paypal, have you paid, or do you get a chance to check the order beforehand?

It says $2.00 shipping before logging in, but I wouldn't want to log in and be locked in to the purchase if the postage balloons to $40 or so...

paypal always gives you the full resume before you transfer the money.

And most stores always gives you the final quote before submitting the order (after you authorize paypal to make the charge)

TP2000

Onto Disney matters after this brief weather bulletin, did y'all hear that there was a MAJOR rain storm in SoCal on Sunday? Anaheim was pummeled ... yes deluged by ... by ... by a quarter of an inch of rain all day (I hear @TP2000 was seen sandbagging in his tony Villa Park 'hood while wearing a monogrammed bath robe and sipping a martini!:eek::D:cool:)

I'll have you know that my rain gauge said we got 0.92 inches of rain on Sunday! To make East Coasters understand, the average monthly July rainfall for Villa Park/Anaheim Hills is 0.01 inches, or statistically nothing. Sunday's rain broke monthly records dating back to the 1860's. And since the rain happened before 5 o'clock, I was only drinking a raspberry lemonade. :(

The OC Register did a great job on Disneyland's 60th, both in print and online. They were giving out free copies of the Register at Disneyland on Friday. I grabbed one and am glad I did.
DSC_1794-M.jpg

The park guidemaps that day were also a special treat, and not just because they came with an I Was There button.
60thmaps-1-M.jpg

When you unfolded the Disneyland guidemap, it was a reprint of the original 1955 guidemap. Clever!
map-inside-1-M.jpg

map-inside-2-M.jpg

I said this in another thread, but I hope some Orlando suits were in Anaheim on Friday taking notes for the WDW 50th. WDW will likely get a new night parade and new 50th fireworks at Magic Kingdom, and also try and tie the DHS remake into the 50th via pained marketing. But on Friday October 1st, 2021, TDO needs to consider a touching and thoughtful format like the one TDA pulled together for Friday, July 17th, 2015.

Horizons1

I'll have you know that my rain gauge said we got 0.92 inches of rain on Sunday! To make East Coasters understand, the average monthly July rainfall for Villa Park/Anaheim Hills is 0.01 inches, or statistically nothing. Sunday's rain broke monthly records dating back to the 1860's. And since the rain happened before 5 o'clock, I was only drinking a raspberry lemonade. :(

The OC Register did a great job on Disneyland's 60th, both in print and online. They were giving out free copies of the Register at Disneyland on Friday. I grabbed one and am glad I did.
DSC_1794-M.jpg

The park guidemaps that day were also a special treat, and not just because they came with an I Was There button.
60thmaps-1-M.jpg

When you unfolded the Disneyland guidemap, it was a reprint of the original 1955 guidemap. Clever!
map-inside-1-M.jpg

map-inside-2-M.jpg

I said this in another thread, but I hope some Orlando suits were in Anaheim on Friday taking notes for the WDW 50th. WDW will likely get a new night parade and new 50th fireworks at Magic Kingdom, and also try and tie the DHS remake into the 50th via pained marketing. But on Friday October 1st, 2021, TDO needs to consider a touching and thoughtful format like the one TDA pulled together for Friday, July 17th, 2015.
Don't get your hopes up. Touching and thoughtful will be replaced by merchandise and bloggers.

Mike S

Did anyone else read this with a Boston accent? :hilarious:

Nubs70

This could be explained by performing a sensitivity analysis. If I had time, I would put one together.

My hypothesis is that WDW is pricing at the top end of the price point. If "discounts" were removed, attendance would decrease substantially thus catering overall revenue.

stlphil

Of course people won't be able to go into the park in Shanhai for free, but is there any information yet, or even informed speculation, on how much it will cost?

When I was in China for business, admittedly quite a number of years ago now, the admission price for tourist sites was less (much, much less) for Chinese people compared to foreigners. Is that still common practice these days, and if so, will it likely be what we see at SDL?

Rodan75

I think the big difference between discounts now and discounts from a few years ago, is that that the discount windows are very limited and there isn't a lot of notice to get into those booking windows. I think they are the equivalent of Flash Sales where they have occupancy holes they need to fill.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Not really a spoiler...

Did anyone else who watched Ant-Man feel like it borrowed or was inspired slightly from Monsanto's Adventure Through Inner Space?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom