A Spirited Perfect Ten

Travel Junkie

For those interested in Disneyland news, the Anaheim City Council approved the extension of a no gate tax for Disneyland. In return Disney agrees to a 1 Billion expansion project that includes infrastructure improvements such as a much needed new parking structure as well as new attractions, likely Star Wars and Marvel.

Construction must begin by the end of 2017 and be completed within 7 years. As said by @TP2000 in the Disneyland forum, this opens the door to probable D23 announcements next month for DLR. As the article below references not everyone was thrilled with the outcome including Anaheim’s mayor, so Disney probably wants to get moving on this fairly soon.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-670657-anaheim-city.html

matt9112

So why is Disney so slow to build things despite greater expense compared to Universal? I've seen many generalized explanations of bureaucracies of corporations and WDI wasting money and union labor and so on. Star Wars land was waiting on direction of the movies, plus the first draft wasn't ambitious enough. Avatar's lengthy timeline may be due to its ambition and James Cameron's busy schedule. The lack of other updates has (until now) been to lack of funding and interest. But going forward with the numerous new projects, what should we expect? It seems like Iger hasn't been ignoring opportunities to trim the fat so shouldn't we expect Disney to start getting more for its dollars, and more quickly?

Would anybody care to give a more detailed, specific analysis?

I don't know what to call it properly as I am no economist but I believe it is essential the same issue goverments often face. As they grow prices are inflated for basic stuff. Toilet seats costs 2000 bucks ect.

matt9112

I hate that statement. I don't want a police state. And we ALL have things that we'd rather not have the government know about us. Every single person. We do have a right to privacy. ... well, actually since the Patriot Act we have no rights at all unless the secret courts that we never voted to allow to be created allow us to! But that's a whole 'nother subject!

Exactly....this.
if you no longer have freedom due to the guise of safety there is nothing left worth fighting for? Yes? people protect there little lives drinking coffee and going to work and say oh I have nothing to worry about because it isn't directly affecting me.

Stop being so damn selfish people. Grow up and take responsibility if we all tried to be better people just a little tommorow it would do far more than your "trained" police with the aim of storm troopers.

stretchsje

I don't know what to call it properly as I am no economist but I believe it is essential the same issue goverments often face. As they grow prices are inflated for basic stuff. Toilet seats costs 2000 bucks ect.
Well, I don't want to get too off-topic, but governments get expensive for many reasons not really applicable to a private company. Here, I'm pretty familiar with where and why there's waste and can provide many specific examples.

There's some overlap, for sure, but there are many checks and balances and incentives in private industry that do not exist in government.

And in any event, Disney's vertical integration of how the movies reinforce the parks which reinforce the merchandising is an incredibly slick business model. Make a movie, sell a dress, then sell the experience of visiting the princess who also wears that dress. This is beneficial, whereas for example Comcast would have trouble getting more subscribers in Delaware due to a water park being built in Orlando.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Brand advocates. Now that's funny. All I care about is making money. I don't care which company it's from.

Your thesis on a target price based on International Parks and Resorts performance which is one part of one division of a 5 division company (4 after the consolidation) is just plain silly. But keep citing Forbes. A great magazine with fantastic stories. But a publication that almost nobody in the professional world uses for stock advice.

Pro tip: never take investing advice from a magazine you can buy at a grocery store.

Professionals use Bloomberg terminals and every source of information available, If you were less interested in attacking the messenger you might have noticed that the data and the conclusions are from Trefis which IS used by professionals.

Go ahead keep relying on Yahoo for YOUR stock information. I'm a permabear in my investing style.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Exactly....this.
if you no longer have freedom due to the guise of safety there is nothing left worth fighting for? Yes? people protect there little lives drinking coffee and going to work and say oh I have nothing to worry about because it isn't directly affecting me.

Stop being so damn selfish people. Grow up and take responsibility if we all tried to be better people just a little tommorow it would do far more than your "trained" police with the aim of storm troopers.
The "I have nothing to hide" argument is myopic. Its like saying we should be considered guilty until proven innocent.

There was a news story a few years ago about a man who looked up backpack prices online and later that day his wife looked up pressure cookers. A few hours later their door was being kicked in by police due to their combined internet searches raising suspicion. They had "nothing to hide" and did nothing wrong, but their home was raided nonetheless.

SYRIK2000

So why is Disney so slow to build things despite greater expense compared to Universal? I've seen many generalized explanations of bureaucracies of corporations and WDI wasting money and union labor and so on. Star Wars land was waiting on direction of the movies, plus the first draft wasn't ambitious enough. Avatar's lengthy timeline may be due to its ambition and James Cameron's busy schedule. The lack of other updates has (until now) been to lack of funding and interest. But going forward with the numerous new projects, what should we expect? It seems like Iger hasn't been ignoring opportunities to trim the fat so shouldn't we expect Disney to start getting more for its dollars, and more quickly?

Would anybody care to give a more detailed, specific analysis?

I'm OK with the answer being that I need to go read DisneyWar or some other (newer) book!

My take on it is that there is so much nit-picking to get it perfect. Every rework of plans during construction is very expensive and butchers the delivery date.

matt9112

The "I have nothing to hide" argument is myopic. Its like saying we should be considered guilty until proven innocent.

There was a news story a few years ago about a man who looked up backpack prices online and later that day his wife looked up pressure cookers. A few hours later their door was being kicked in by police due to their combined internet searches raising suspicion. They had "nothing to hide" and did nothing wrong, but their home was raided nonetheless.

Happens more than you think. And the presumption of not being guilty until proof has been provided is a cornerstone of America itself. You have the freedom to do as you please and face the court of law if it is something wrong. The goverment seems to disagree. Classic for your safety guise.
and on a finer point if something is a law doesn't mean it is unequivocally just. Madison I believe once said democracy alone doesn't equal freedom. Just because you vote for tyrants. Individual liberty ALWAYS trumps security and safety in my book.

MattM

Professionals use Bloomberg terminals and every source of information available, If you were less interested in attacking the messenger you might have noticed that the data and the conclusions are from Trefis which IS used by professionals.

Go ahead keep relying on Yahoo for YOUR stock information. I'm a permabear in my investing style.
Oh, wah. Nobody is attacking you. I was using Yahoo to point out how easy it is to debunk the craziness you spew here. TREFIS is used by E*TRADE customers. (No, there's nothing wrong with E*TRADE). But it is not used by professionals.

Bear at $75, Bear at $94, Bear at $114. What's your next stop?

Last edited:

BrianLo

As the article below references not everyone was thrilled with the outcome including Anaheim’s mayor, so Disney probably wants to get moving on this fairly soon.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-670657-anaheim-city.html

The article is quite disingenuous. I watched various portions of the meeting before giving up realizing it was going on for hours and hours. It was a dog and pony show of support for the item from police, local business, unions, hotels, residents and former employees. You'd never know that 90% of the speakers were for the outcome from the way the article is written.

It was also quite enlightening to find that at least in Anaheim, Disney has nearly everyone on their leash. In part deservedly so, Disney has been a fairly good corporate partner for the city in nearly all facets.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Iger and Staggs are attending the Allen & Co.'s annual Sun Valley conference. A who's who of industry titans. Zuckerberg, Rupert Murdoch, Tim Cook, Elon Musk, and Ted Sarandos are among some of the other attendees. Would love to be a fly on that wall.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/07/06/musk-iger-murdoch-allen-co-san-valley/29794609/

At the conference, Iger was asked about the upcoming competition they will have in the comic book movies from DC and Warner Bros. Igers arrogant response...."We're Marvel"

He also said, "...when the Marvel brand is on a movie, it really makes a difference. We are seeing signs of that."

Thats funny, I wonder how he feels about the "Disney brand" being on a movie after flops like Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, John Carter, etc. What kind of signs are they seeing from that?

PhotoDave219

Not apples to apples. The venue for the MLS games is larger than an arena for NBA and Hockey. If you put it that way, my Cats out draw MLS in both Football and Basketball averagically speaking. Statistics are a funny thing. . . And yes, I know averagically is a made up word. . .

Fact: The University of Kentucky Wildcats basketball team is more popular than the MLS.

(Someone decided to play the 'manipulate the data' game. Someone chose poorly)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom