Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

BrerJon

I remember someone posting that they had no alternative to turn to if they shut EE down for repair, i.e another E ticket. There were a lot of proposals out there but Avatar finally made it to construction. I'm hoping that sometime after Pandora opens, EE can be fixed. I assume they probably need to do a good refurb on that ride anyway.

I've never understood this argument. DAK ran quite happily before 2006 with no Expedition Everest around, and crowds are - to this day - always quite light in the park, so it could easily absorb them if it was closed for six months.

Last edited:

SYRIK2000

I've never understood this argument. DAK ran quite happily before 1996 with no Expedition Everest around, and crowds are - to this day - always quite light in the park, so it could easily absorb them if it was closed for six months.

People would be lining up with pitch forks and torches if they shut EE down. Maybe when Pandora goes online if it's as popular as they are hoping. But even then people would still be up in arms.

lobelia

It is encouraging that they have approved a capital budget greater than 1.2 Billion and less than 10 trillion for WDW. Has anyone heard anything about the new concept behind the revamped DHS? Is it a unique concept compared to Islands of Adventure? To be clear, this is not a request for 1.2 billion potential names for the park.

SYRIK2000

It is encouraging that they have approved a capital budget greater than 1.2 Billion and less than 10 trillion for WDW. Has anyone heard anything about the new concept behind the revamped DHS? Is it a unique concept compared to Islands of Adventure? To be clear, this is not a request for 1.2 billion potential names for the park.

No details have leaked yet.

AEfx

Is it really a good thing that we have come to expect Disney projects to cost such sums? There would be more incentive to invest in the parks if the returns were better, something directly impacted by Disney's high costs of getting anything done.

You do have a point, and it is especially true at WDW - but construction costs have gotten ridiculously inflated everywhere. I know a local school district that paid just under 2M for their last school approximately 20 years ago. They are building an additional school now (and not much more impressive than what they built then) that is costing around 45M. And this isn't a big city, but a small town.

Some of it can be chalked up to increased regulations, cost of materials, etc. - but a lot of it is simple plain pure greed and them making up for the fact that construction is now a slow-paced, multi-year commitment in many cases. Projects that used to take a few months now take several years because they have less people working and those that are working are doing far less. I've seen it in project after project after project. There is no hustle, there is no rush, it's what's the longest we can stretch this project out without totally losing it.

But again, yup, it's exasperated to the nth level at WDW, especially by their wish to spread budgets out, but it's getting pretty bad in general everywhere.

I remember someone posting that they had no alternative to turn to if they shut EE down for repair, i.e another E ticket. There were a lot of proposals out there but Avatar finally made it to construction. I'm hoping that sometime after Pandora opens, EE can be fixed. I assume they probably need to do a good refurb on that ride anyway.

I believe @marni1971 has confirmed that the "it needs to close to fix" is BS, that they can remove it (and have) without closing the mountain (they just put that black sheet up).

Irie

My advice, though, don't spend money on WDW in 2015. There's nothing new and nothing worth your time and $$$. Next year? If you are a big fan of DAK and/or Frozen, then do it. If not, wait a few years at least. Visit UNI/SEAS/Busch if you are coming to FL. Better yet, visit parks elsewhere be they in the USA or abroad. ... Do so with the knowledge that one day (maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but sorta soon and until they tear them down for lesser attractions) some really kewl stuff is finally going to sprout in the swamps.

Let me begin by saying that I still enjoy a trip to WDW but due to large price increases and few additions over the past 15 years, we have reduced our trips from 2-3 per year to once a year at best. We began travelling to the Caribbean (multiple times to Jamaica and have a trip scheduled to the Dominican Republic this year). We have a WDW trip planned for early 2016 (renting DVC points to get around the expensive room costs) and will probably not make it back for a few years while we await the upcoming changes to be completed.

Would we have ventured out to other locales if WDW had continued to add/plus the parks? I don't know, but I do know that they have lost out on a good portion of my family's vacation dollars. I know that "someone is always in line to take my place" but we can't be the only ones to come to this decision.

PhotoDave219

Hate to sound lazy, but has a dollar amount and time frame been officially announced?

I just want to know if I am going to pee myself from the shear grandeur of the experience or old age.

Nope.... don't expect it to anytime soon either.

I'm assuming that Disney will just start construction and promote the new DAK offerings at D23 this year and hint at things coming to the Studios.

Alas, we're going to have to wait a month.

PhotoDave219

We're not discussing Universal in this thread.

The concepts I've heard are Pixar and Star Wars. beyond that, nothing has leaked out.

AEfx

The concepts I've heard are Pixar and Star Wars. beyond that, nothing has leaked out.

Personally, while I really think Pixar is shoehorned into the studios as it is, I just hope it's not more Toy Story crap. We have enough Toy Story-themed things in WDW. I'd pretty much prefer any other Pixar-themed thing over it.

Mike S

Personally, while I really think Pixar is shoehorned into the studios as it is, I just hope it's not more Toy Story crap. We have enough Toy Story-themed things in WDW. I'd pretty much prefer any other Pixar-themed thing over it.
image.jpg

:inlove:

doctornick

Yes, I think the interesting question is whether we'd have any other class of IPs represented in this park expansion: Disney animation (or non-animation) films, Indiana Jones, Muppets, Guardians of the Galaxy (or any other Marvel that would be allowed), etc.

It could very well be just Pixar and Star Wars that are added -- there certainly is enough there to support a lot of attractions -- but I have the feeling that we'll get something outside of those two things.

AEfx

I honestly dont know.

I'm going to be optimistic.

Oh, while I won't complain if they do (unless they build a real ride, it likely will be kid-eating stuff that is fine by me) - just stating my preference. We have enough Toy Story, IMO - you'd think it's one of the only Pixar properties that exist if you went by WDW.

SYRIK2000

Yes, I think the interesting question is whether we'd have any other class of IPs represented in this park expansion: Disney animation (or non-animation) films, Indiana Jones, Muppets, Guardians of the Galaxy (or any other Marvel that would be allowed), etc.

It could very well be just Pixar and Star Wars that are added -- there certainly is enough there to support a lot of attractions -- but I have the feeling that we'll get something outside of those two things.

Guardians of the Galaxy would be a great IP to make a dark ride from. Lots of possibilities.
And everyone would be saying I am Groot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom