Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

AEfx

Sounds like there's enough money there to tick off everyone--about something!
How's that for a glass half empty statement?

Don't get me wrong - he was replying to me - I am not ticked off at all - was just stating my preference that since we already have 2 Toy Story themed rides at WDW, plus a restaurant, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else, I'd really like to explore other Pixar properties, if that's indeed what they are doing (more Pixar) in addition to Star Wars.

In any case, no matter what - even if it is some kiddie Toy Story land - hey, gives those kids something to do while I'm in line for everything else, so it will be A-OK to me. ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Here comes the NBA...yawn...

Well it at least will provide entertainment for Orlando locals on TV as the various Orlando area gangs try to claim it as 'their turf'. Basketball themed clubs unless they cater to the 40 and over demographc tend to attract a 'disruptive' fanbase.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I keep seeing some say this but let's really look at the facts (Edit: Ok, more realistic opinion than fact):

If there is ZERO investment in the future of the parks, they will fail. Maybe not this year, or next, but they will. And no one on the BOD or anywhere in the higher ups in Disney will allow their legacy of being the group that failed the very public face of "I'm going to Disney World!"

The 50th + the failing state of DHS (Epcot could be added into this too) seems like it's been enough to spur them into motion. It's this or just abandon with that park at this point, and there's no way they're doing that. So while I feel your inner cynic, I think it's vastly misplaced here.

I don't think anyone on the BoD cares, by time the parks fail they will be counting their millions in Lichtenstein or one of the many tax havens across the globe. Biggest problem is for repeat visitors who are paying attention is the 'Going out of Business' vibe that WDW exudes these days.

Nland316

Just a question I've always wondered, how exactly can an attraction go so over budget? Isn't it estimated with a bit of wiggle room in case of issues that may possibly arise with construction or development? I would think it'd be comfortable enough for a few mistakes to happen along the way. Disneyland's old WESTcot project comes to mind when I think of this type of issue. How did a 3 billion dollar proposal eventual turn into somewhere around 5 billion? It seems like a huge price jump as if it wasn't properly estimated. Same Radiator Springs Racers. I read somewhere that John Lasseter had to ask for more funding for that project. How is an attraction budget not properly planned with issues like this in mind?

BrianLo

Well if you wanna go old school, Pixar has always been Disney from the very beginning. Separate company in name only, but its roots come from Disney... only to bring it back in the fold later in life.

Correction: if you really go old school Pixar's roots are Industrial Light and Magic/Lucasfilm. Quite literally the same company with only a different name. Although that was really not the intent of my original post to say Pixar is not a spiritual successor.

Perhaps I should have said the princesses and fairytales belong in MK and the 'others' in the studios. Recent examples from the studios that break the mould: Brave is more of an MK property and Wreck it Ralph more of a DHS property.

PhotoDave219

Correction: if you really go old school Pixar's roots are Industrial Light and Magic/Lucasfilm. Quite literally the same company with only a different name. Although that was really not the intent of my original post to say Pixar is not a spiritual successor.

Perhaps I should have said the princesses and fairytales belong in MK and the 'others' in the studios. Recent examples from the studios that break the mould: Brave is more of an MK property and Wreck it Ralph more of a DHS property.

I seem to recall something about the animators going to Roy back in the day and saying that the mouse should invest in it....

HauntedMansionFLA

If you hear old interviews with Lucas, he always refers to Pixar as his company.

Funmeister

Well if you wanna go old school, Pixar has always been Disney from the very beginning. Separate company in name only, but its roots come from Disney... only to bring it back in the fold later in life.

Sorry, PIXAR has NOT "always been Disney." It was part of Industrial Light & Magic and spun-off as its own division primarily doing work on commercials. Eventually it broke off (bought by Steve Jobs) getting into movies (Toy Story) which a relationship was created WITH Disney.

http://www.pixar.com/about/Our-Story

EDIT: Added Link

lazyboy97o

Sorry, PIXAR has NOT "always been Disney." It was part of Industrial Light & Magic and spun-off as its own division primarily doing work on commercials. Eventually it broke off (bought by Steve Jobs) getting into movies (Toy Story) which a relationship was created WITH Disney.

And it was under the creative leadership of a man long obsessed with Disney who was given the boot from the animation studio.

lobelia

Iger's Emporium of Acquisitions-land.

Essentially dedicated lands to the overarching Brands - Star Wars, Toy Story, Pixar-Other, not sure where they stand on WDAS. Far less studio-like in aesthetic and theme.

Really it's becoming the IP park... and that's actually ok as far as I'm concerned. It provides it with a proper identity while not weighing down Epcot and Animal Kingdom with an abundance of IP. Win-win.

Edit:

Ah yes, sorry to disappoint. However a smattering of IP can still be tied together under a moniker like Adventure or Discovery. Look at IOA (the loose book theme not-withstanding).

I think in this case a loose concept is much better than a failed one: "Studios".
Well thanks anyway. I was hoping for something unique. Nonetheless I'm looking forward to a beautiful park.

NowInc

I believe he is referring to the fact that John Lasseter got his start with Disney Animation and only once his proposal for computer generated movies got rejected (and him fired for his efforts), he went on to start the company under the wing of ILM.

Funmeister

I believe he is referring to the fact that John Lasseter got his start with Disney Animation and only once his proposal for computer generated movies got rejected (and him fired for his efforts), he went on to start the company under the wing of ILM.

I know...but he didn't. Lassiter came on years later in 1983.

Funmeister

Pixar transformed from a hardware and services company into a movie studio because of Lasseter. He completely changed the focus of the company.

I am not debating what Lasseter did for PIXAR. That is not the debate. I am pointing out that PD is quoting misinformation about the creation of PIXAR. That's all.

PhotoDave siad it was only different by name only (from Disney). Sorry, that is not true. lol

PIXAR even talks about it on their own site (as I previously linked): http://www.pixar.com/about/Our-Story

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom