Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
@ford91exploder "resident curmudgeon" fits you extremely well...I think that every time I read your posts.

Back to topic at hand...I do wonder what the survival chances of Fantasmic! (edited to correct auto-correct :facepalm:) are...it's on the opposite side of the park from everything getting the axe & newer than Illuminations, but I can't help but think they would want a new night show to go with their (mostly new) DHS? Something with a Pixar & SW presence? Maybe they will go the way of DL & not do it every night?

I do try to live up to that label on here, OTOH it's not hard doing it with the pathetic offerings Disney has these days at WDW, If you want to see how a Disney park USED to be run visit Tokyo.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A great story that won't likely ever get written (listening @skubersky ?) is spending a day with a family that bought one day tickets to that park only and what they saw and what their thoughts were/are. Again, won't happen because it is a great story to write.

Yes and the fact that the O-town press refuses to cover this stuff is a indictment of the state of todays so called 'Press' which functions only as a PR department for Corporations and Politicians.y

Also how much do you wanna bet DHS goes UP in price next price increase (when will the NEXT one be August or Next year) even though the majority of attractions have been CLOSED.

Cesar R M

The trouble is people here look at $2B and think... well what does that buy you in WDW? Based on recent memory, it buys you MyMagic+ - WiFi, MagicBands and new gate readers and Fastpass machines.

Hard to be excited by that, so you see why people think the number *must* be higher if they're getting new lands and attractions out of it too.
pretty sure it was more than that. (including server/systems changes, infrastructure upgrades, cabling..etc..)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Ive got the scoop on another reason the BOD was in town. They were also overseeing the completion of the D-Zone at Epcot. A new partnership has been born.

View attachment 98986
Do you think they were also there to greenlight Epcot's new festival?
We have Flower & Garden, Food & Wine.
Next is of course Epcot's First Annual Brand & Franchise Festival!

PhotoDave219

Yes and the fact that the O-town press refuses to cover this stuff is a indictment of the state of todays so called 'Press' which functions only as a PR department for Corporations and Politicians.y

Also how much do you wanna bet DHS goes UP in price next price increase (when will the NEXT one be August or Next year) even though the majority of attractions have been CLOSED.

Well it is very difficult to get a source to go on the record in Orlando. People fear for their jobs left and right.

I greatly appreciate the cast members that have reached out privately with their notes and support and occasional nugget of information…

At best, you can get a union official to go on the record.

BrianLo

Well the well is dry.. and the house is empty. What do you expect? Did Norm and Todd ever reconcile? I figured that was another significant contributor to why the core content has waned.

I guess I'll continue to hold out hope, it's not like they don't know anything at all, they had all these plans back in the Fall. If not, hopefully something or someone eventually fills in that missing gap in the Disneyland community side of things.

Or maybe Disney will actually reopen the Blue Sky Cellar!

Rodan75

Meanwhile the Yeti is sitting in his cave, crossing his paralysed fingers that a slice of the cash pot might make its way to his mountain.

I would assume if they were planning to tackle the Yeti, they would do so while DAK is being revitalized (are we calling it DAK 2.0 or more like 1.5) now with the current work.

MerlinTheGoat

How awesome would it be if the 50th was the turn around point for WDW like it was for DL :inlove:

I can dream..........
Unfortunately, if there is a turn around then it will have to be out of the "goodness of their hearts" on the part of higher executives. Something unlikely to just occur out of the blue (at least until new leadership comes along that choose to approach park maintenance differently). Unless the bean counters have finally realized that preventative maintenance is actually considerably cheaper in the long run than letting the problems pile on and requiring more work and money when they can't ignore it anymore...

Disneyland had a LOT of powerful motivators that caused its change to occur, the leaders were basically forced into a corner to change their ways in the end-

- Michael Eisner (for all his flaws) did clearly care about the parks and was upset by the way things were headed
- A massive PR scandal hit Disneyland due to the guest deaths found to be caused by improper maintenance
- Fanbase at Disneyland is very picky and actively spread bad publicity about the condition of the park
- Roy Disney jr was still alive and protesting alongside the fanbase

WDW does not have this motivation. It's very fortunate that no guests have died (yet anyways, close calls have happened involving falling concrete around guest areas) due to poor maintenance. That's something I would never wish to happen (Disney parks getting cleanups are not worth the loss of a life). But overall there's no real motive either way for management to change their ways.

truecoat

Meanwhile the Yeti is sitting in his cave, crossing his paralysed fingers that a slice of the cash pot might make its way to his mountain.

I remember someone posting that they had no alternative to turn to if they shut EE down for repair, i.e another E ticket. There were a lot of proposals out there but Avatar finally made it to construction. I'm hoping that sometime after Pandora opens, EE can be fixed. I assume they probably need to do a good refurb on that ride anyway.

dumboflyer

Hate to sound lazy, but has a dollar amount and time frame been officially announced?

I just want to know if I am going to pee myself from the shear grandeur of the experience or old age.

Dollar amounts have not been announced, though those with knowledge of the situation seem to have a good ballpark figure. From previous posts it is definitely over $1.25bn, definitely less than $10tn (thx, @Lee). Best guesses from those who don't have sources seem to be in the $2bn +/- $500mn region for the WDW portions alone.

Time frame suggestions, again from those with more specific knowledge, seems to be commencement of construction within the next year (possibly this fall for some portions) and completion by 2021 for WDW's 50th.

No specifics on individual rides, shows, or attractions at this point.

ToTBellHop

Dollar amounts have not been announced, though those with knowledge of the situation seem to have a good ballpark figure. From previous posts it is definitely over $1.25bn, definitely less than $10tn (thx, @Lee). Best guesses from those who don't have sources seem to be in the $2bn +/- $500mn region for the WDW portions alone.

Time frame suggestions, again from those with more specific knowledge, seems to be commencement of construction within the next year (possibly this fall for some portions) and completion by 2021 for WDW's 50th.

No specifics on individual rides, shows, or attractions at this point.
I was able to get Bob Iger on the record saying 2.35 billion Schrute Bucks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom