A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Interesting story on the need for more parking in Anaheim in today's OC Register. Also interesting that again the two main sources are (for lack of a better term and because it fits) Lifestylers in Mouseplanet's Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix and Theme Park Insider's Matthew Gottula.

Now, unlike most Lifestylers I don't know these individuals beyond their names and seeing them on Twit feeds from time to time. My comment isn't about them, so much as it is about journalists covering Disney and UNI being so lazy that they go to people who are 'easy' gets. People who live online and focus on the subject most of their awake time. While some might say that's a perfect perspective to get, I'd argue that it only shows one facet of a situation. It just makes the turn around time on a story so much quicker when it basically is written by others.

Anyway, here it is:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-669308-parking-years.html

WDW1974

Original Poster
There is a classic Spirit post good information on the little things that matter or are interesting, gossip on inner workings on TWDC, observations on attendance with a little media critique at the end. So what's more interesting Mr. Robot vs Humans? Is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell on your radar?

Mr. Robot is right in my wheelhouse when it comes to a lot of what I believe and how I view corps today. If hour number one was any indication of what will follow, then I'll be watching religiously. I wanted to see Humans, but completely forgot. ... I think that territory has been covered very well over the years, though. I'm still unnerved over seeing A.I. when it came out in the late 90s. I was not prepared for how ... depressing and emotional it was. But I do intend to watch Humans.

Have heard good things on Strange and Norell too.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Man, talk about a movie that Disney Animation would never make today. Visually and thematically, it's one of Disney's most ambitious movies.

I gather it's also not very popular with the fanboi community. Shocking, I know.

Very good point. I wonder how many fanbois under 35 have even seen it once. ... and Disney largely ignores the characters in the parks. You'd think that DAK might have a place for them (no, not a dark ride ... that would likely still leave me in tears!) The only place I've seen the characters used of late is in WoC at DCA and Dreams of Christmas at DLP ... and in topiary form at EPCOT.

Let's put it this way, there's more Figment merchandise out there by a mile than Bambi and friends!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm doubting that.

The plans don't indicate one, and there really isn't a big enough room in there.

Unless...they make the whole place that sort of lounge....nah.

I've been told the new working name is Skippers Cantina now not Cafe. You can do many things with space. But I don't have the plans in front of me. ...and all I have heard is chatter, so view it as rumor.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just throwing this out there don't know if it's been discussed yet. Disney has told house keeping to stop doing the towel animals and mickeys because it wastes towels and time. They would much rather have the maids cleaning for an extra five minutes than making towel animals.

I have NO issues with that at all. The towel animals means as much as someone telling me ''Welcome Home'' or worse ''Have a MAGICal Day/Night.'' ... hell, I remember someone on this site complaining about their first trip to DL because people simply asked them how they were (like in the real world) and told them to have a good afternoon (like in the real world) and they were used to the horrific attempt at sincerity that passes for world class Guest Service in the swamps.

A Mousekeeper's job isn't to pose plush and make a towel gator holding the TV remote. It's to sanitize the remote, vacuum under the bed, polish on top of the furniture, clean the weird sticky substance off the table, make sure there isn't previous guests' hair in the shower or sink etc. Too often they miss the basics while doing something stupid. No need for towel animals. They became a cliche sometime around 2003 anyway.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That what is so interesting about the Princess Snowflake generation. The tales that the Disney Princess movies are based on are cautionary tales about the dangers of the real world. Now the parents of Princess Snowflake storm Guest Relations if poor ADHD Princess Snowflack can't get a GAC for the entire family reunion group of 45.

Oh I know, Disney sorta ignores how dark and scary many of its best films were. I hated watching Old Yeller. But that crying did prepare me, to some degree, to what happened to me multiple times with beloved dogs whose time had come and they needed a nudge, as heartbreaking as they were.

Disney never wants people to recall how Maleficient summons all the demons 'FROM HELL' in the 1959 film because by 1999, hell was too scary and polarizing for people. Of course, I could get into how racist Dumbo and Peter Pan are, while Darth Iger and Co. continue to protect us from the horrors of Song of the South, but I'll save that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
But could you imagine them with today's society?

Do you know how much crap would be thrown from them? Or other activities go on inside them?

It's good that they've gone… They were nice for the time. But it's time to move on from them.

Poor excuse. They exist all over the world. Heck, in the last few years I have ridden and enjoyed them at BGT and BGW. They are truly a fun experience to be so high and in your own space to view what is going on below.

I only rode the DL one once in 1990 as by the time I returned it was closed. Never made it on the TDL one, which also closed in the mid-90s sometime. I still recall my last ride on MK's in 2/99 on an absolutely beautiful day.

I am guessing that WDW (and Disney Co) management view things like you do as far as the Guests. But what does it say that Busch Gardens in nearby Tampa can still have the attraction without issues? Are WDW's Guests just more trashy? More entitled? Both?

Fantasmicguy

Oh I know, Disney sorta ignores how dark and scary many of its best films were. I hated watching Old Yeller. But that crying did prepare me, to some degree, to what happened to me multiple times with beloved dogs whose time had come and they needed a nudge, as heartbreaking as they were.

Disney never wants people to recall how Maleficient summons all the demon FROM HER IMAGINATION in the 1959 film because by 1999, hell was too scary and polarizing for people. Of course, I could get into how racist Dumbo and Peter Pan are, while Darth Iger and Co. continue to protect us from the horrors of Song of the South, but I'll save that.
I fixed it for you

Mike S

Poor excuse. They exist all over the world. Heck, in the last few years I have ridden and enjoyed them at BGT and BGW. They are truly a fun experience to be so high and in your own space to view what is going on below.

I only rode the DL one once in 1990 as by the time I returned it was closed. Never made it on the TDL one, which also closed in the mid-90s sometime. I still recall my last ride on MK's in 2/99 on an absolutely beautiful day.

I am guessing that WDW (and Disney Co) management view things like you do as far as the Guests. But what does it say that Busch Gardens in nearby Tampa can still have the attraction without issues? Are WDW's Guests just more trashy? More entitled? Both?
Heck, I just recently rode the Skyway at Six Flags Great Adventure.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anyone discussing the potential 1 billion dollar investment Disney has to make in Anaheim to keep the entertainment tax off Disneyland? Big news on the Street as it might effect stock price, but news like this, I would guess, should worry us who want new shiny and chrome stuff at WDW. One billion dollars has to come from somewhere.

They have billions just sitting around. Surely you haven't missed all the stock buybacks over Iger's tenure?

Oh, and just to be crystal clear, but DLR's funds have nothing to do with the recent decisions on WDW's near-term future.

truecoat

I have never seen a photo of the monorail crossing the new bridge over BV Street. Must be quite a site to see when at DCA. Must visit someday.

Buena-Vista-Street-115.jpg

Tony Perkis

Disney never wants people to recall how Maleficient summons all the demons 'FROM HELL' in the 1959 film because by 1999, hell was too scary and polarizing for people. Of course, I could get into how racist Dumbo and Peter Pan are, while Darth Iger and Co. continue to protect us from the horrors of Song of the South, but I'll save that.
Heavyweights man. A black comedy to its core.

Stevek

Not sure where you heard there won't be A Christmas Fantasy Parade this year. It should return like normal, but will only run during the day because of PTN. Believe...In Holiday Magic won't be shown this year so that Disneyland Forever can continue uninterrupted.
I had read it on a couple of different sites. Glad to hear that's not accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom