A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

Haha Epcot's saving grace is the high capacity people-eaters in Future World... if they get people to visit any of them besides SSE.

Soarin' needs to have 5-6 auditoriums in order to have decent capacity.

Indeed, they all must think POTC, HM, SSE, PeopleMover, Star Tours, GMR and Dinosaur are unpopular, just because none of them have waits over 45 minutes... ever. High capacity does wonders for an attraction.

Soarin Will have 261 people per cycle after they build the third theater. Five minutes per cycle with 9 to 10 cycles per hour because you have a load unload time. So realistically, 2500 people per hour. Assuming it's open for 12 hours, you're looking at 25,000 people per day. Assuming of God daily attendance is 40,000 after frozen opens, that's using the 20% growth projection the Disney somehow was expecting… means two thirds of your audience can actually ride soarin.

My numbers for frozen were off yesterday. I was assuming it would be open for 12 hours a day, not the current 11 to 9 that world showcase is. As it currently stands at 900 guests per hour, 10 hours is only a mere 9000 guests per day or one quarter of the current audience.

If frozen stays at 900 guests per hour and if they get a 20% increase in guest traffic that would be somewhere in the vicinity of 42,000 guests per day if you use the 2013 numbers. That means more than three quarters of your audience will Not be able to ride the brand-new headliner attraction of frozenstrom.

Simple math says somebody in parks and resorts didn't do their due diligence.

michmousefan

Soarin Will have 261 people per cycle after they build the third theater. Five minutes per cycle with 9 to 10 cycles per hour because you have a load unload time. So realistically, 2500 people per hour. Assuming it's open for 12 hours, you're looking at 25,000 people per day. Assuming of God daily attendance is 40,000 after frozen opens, that's using the 20% growth projection the Disney somehow was expecting… means two thirds of your audience can actually ride soarin.

My numbers for frozen were off yesterday. I was assuming it would be open for 12 hours a day, not the current 11 to 9 that world showcase is.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they open the Norway pavilion (and the princess-fest) at 9am once the Frozen takeover is complete. I can just envision the lineup of strollers, mini-princesses and overeager moms to enter WS at the stroke of 11 at the Odyssey/Mexico side of things. There's not a ton of room there for people to bunch up. Plus people will be entering Epcot to go specifically to that ride and then hearing "it doesn't open for two more hours" will not be pleasant.

PhotoDave219

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they open the Norway pavilion (and the princess-fest) at 9am once the Frozen takeover is complete. I can just envision the lineup of strollers, mini-princesses and overeager moms to enter WS at the stroke of 11 at the Odyssey/Mexico side of things. There's not a ton of room there for people to bunch up. Plus people will be entering Epcot to go specifically to that ride and then hearing "it doesn't open for two more hours" will not be pleasant.

Okay, add 1800 so thats 10,800. Still cant have more than 1/4 of your daily attendance ride the attraction.

FigmentJedi

In addition, wasn't Avatar overwhelmingly CGI? The Harry Potter films certainly also had a ton of CGI but those have transferred well to a physical set. Is Disney going to be able to create a land that feels as real as the WWOHP?

Then there's J.K. Rowlings' richly textured books, helping designers flesh out the WWOHP. Avatar doesn't really have anything similar.
What? The Harry Potter films were full of physical sets and miniatures. The theme park version was even supervised by the set designers/builders from the movies.

Avatar was shot almost entirely in a motion-capture studio and bluescreen rooms. Like I think the only physical sets were the human compounds.

Mike S

My numbers for frozen were off yesterday. I was assuming it would be open for 12 hours a day, not the current 11 to 9 that world showcase is. As it currently stands at 900 guests per hour, 10 hours is only a mere 9000 guests per day or one quarter of the current audience.

If frozen stays at 900 guests per hour and if they get a 20% increase in guest traffic that would be somewhere in the vicinity of 42,000 guests per day if you use the 2013 numbers. That means more than three quarters of your audience will Not be able to ride the brand-new headliner attraction of frozenstrom.

Simple math says somebody in parks and resorts didn't do their due diligence.
Just from an operational standpoint whoever approved this shouldn't have a job at parks and resorts in the first place.

doctornick

Yeah, I fully expect them to open up Norway at 9am with FW. Might even make sense to open up Mexico as well, so that people can go there for that boat ride when they get disappointed that the wait for Frozen is 45 minutes at 9:08am

Katie G

@Katie G .... There are no low-attendance days anymore. So there's no point to a multi-tiered admission. Outside of Christmas/Spring Break? Crowds are pretty even and consistant througout the year, with the two exceptions: Week-10 days after Labor Day as well as Tues-Thurs of the weeks between New Years & MLK Day.

Everything else is a busy crowd, with those other times peaking.

Your point centers around MK only which is the favored park of course, but not the whole of WDW. The other parks do experience lower attendance periods. When the tickets give you access to any of those parks, you can't solely focus on MK.

Additionally, any day where MK still lets Cast in would probably be considered a lower attendance day. Total daily attendance and In-park attendance are vastly different and impact the crowd factor a lot. For example, at DLR daily attendance does hit higher levels, but the peak crowded feelings tends to be around dinner time when the locals show up after work. They crowd the walkways and restaurants and make it feel far more crowded than the true peak in-park attendance around 2-3pm.

PhotoDave219

Your point centers around MK only which is the favored park of course, but not the whole of WDW. The other parks do experience lower attendance periods. When the tickets give you access to any of those parks, you can't solely focus on MK.

Additionally, any day where MK still lets Cast in would probably be considered a lower attendance day. Total daily attendance and In-park attendance are vastly different and impact the crowd factor a lot. For example, at DLR daily attendance does hit higher levels, but the peak crowded feelings tends to be around dinner time when the locals show up after work. They crowd the walkways and restaurants and make it feel far more crowded than the true peak in-park attendance around 2-3pm.

I could expand on the point and prove it, but I'm cooking at the moment.

And We're not taking about how guests tour DLR, we're talking about how guests tour WDW.

Katie G

Again, across four theme parks and two water parks, what new things are being offered to WDW Guests for Summer 2015?

For Water Parks .... a 1-Day Water Park Hopper ticket... 2 water parks for the price of 1! Or a Water Park Annual Pass for $110! :) Also, I think TL has a Summer Party in the park. They also debuted a few new food options at the beginning of the year that are quite good

tribbleorlfl

Speaking of armchair imagineering, there's a specific forum for that.

As for Frozenstrom, Short of putting in an omni-mover (and I have no idea how they could), its unlikely to happen.
I commented on this over in the construction thread, but I asked my dad what his thoughts were on retrofitting the flumes with an omnimover system. He just recently retired from UO tech services, but prior to that, worked in WDW maintenance for over 15 years. He said that it would be fairly easy to install the necessary wiring, equipment and tracks as there is already a fair amount submerged. His biggest question mark would be the downhill portions as they would need some kind of anti-slip system to keep the rv's from sliding down too fast.
The truth is Disney doesn't care what Universal does. The imagineers "bring it on" comment at D23 when questioned about Potter is all you need. NFL was a project to help capacity at MK which ended up not helping that much. It's still a madhouse. The knee jerk reaction to get the rights to Avatar is probably the closest thing to an "answer" we have, no matter how delayed it is from what it was supposed to "answer" to.

I dunno about you but I'm not sure "We Dont Care What Our Competition Does" is the best business model.

Also means the likelyhood that they'll even pay attention to what the guests want is somewhere around slim/none.

But They'll sure pay attention to that Harvard MBA who worked on Wall Street that never set foot in a Theme Park, oh no....
Personally, I don't think it's a matter of WDW not knowing or caring about what's happening down the street. Most large corporations have Business Intelligence departments to keep tabs on their competitors. Orlando is a pretty small town, and with the back-and-forth employment bw the two resorts, I'm pretty sure TDO and UO know exactly what's going on with each other.

No I think it's simply a matter of them looking at their position of market leader as being incredibly safe for the time being. They don't need to keep up with the competition, it's the other way around. UO is spending gobs and gobs of money to stay/become relevant all the while TDO is doing the bare minimum and still bringing home record profits.

I agree it's a short sighted and lazy approach, and we as Consumers lose out (both in terms of quality and pricing), but it's a lot different than not caring about what the competition is doing. If and when UO starts significantly eating into WDW margins, they'll react.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom