A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

9/11 did indeed have a profound effect on the DFBM (Disney Florida Business Model). Some things were already in the pipeline, others were approved by Michael Eisner in his last few years (LMA, Soarin, EE etc.) But Disney now operates WDW where it almost appears you're visiting a place that is about to go under, not one that sets quarterly records for profits. Yet, you don't see that money being pumped back into the parks in any major way ... NGE/MM+ aside and ...blah, blah and blah ... we've been down this road before.

Again, across four theme parks and two water parks, what new things are being offered to WDW Guests for Summer 2015?
price increases and upcharge events?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
considering how well they censor the parks "official blog" ?
Id say they would disable comments if the tsunami gets unstoppable.

I agree - but that's only ONE social media outlet, Facebook, Twitter, Message boards like this one not to mention the local news if some Make a Wish kid cannot make it to Frozen...

Cesar R M

Yes, Avatar was a thing way back in 2009. Mainly because it ushered in a new era of 3D. Wow, feels so long ago already....almos feel like we need to explain to the kids how we old people had 2D blockbusters...

But Avatar is not character driven. Cinderella is not a thing without her. But not Avatar. It doesn't matter no one can name a single character. On the contrary, more's the better. WDW could build an entire AVland without a single character. The central element of Avatar is the exoplanet, the alien lifeforms, with their bioluminescence and interconnectedness. This aspect is remembered by everybody who's seen it.

And even if they don't, or have never seen the movie in the first place, that doesn't matter. IP doesn't make a Disney park, or else all of the criticism of the fanbase the past 15 years has been mistaken.
you forgot Sigourney Weaver.
Character wise.. she and the Colonel are the only strong points.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney now operates WDW where it almost appears you're visiting a place that is about to go under, not one that sets quarterly records for profits. Yet, you don't see that money being pumped back into the parks in any major way

THIS is the point that bothers me, What IF TWDC actually has lots of 'Off Balance Sheet' stuff and they are spending like this because in reality they DO NOT have the money, Most companies which show this kind of profitablity are doing SOMETHING visible with the money even if it's only a flashy new HQ building.

Why the total fixation on the stock price unless the whole edifice crumbles if the stock drops.

I've been mocked for thoughts like this before and I'm sure I'll attract unwanted attention but the spending PATTERNS of TWDC recently bug me.

djkidkaz

To me the IP doesn't really matter too much, its all about execution. I've used this example before but I think it really stands out. If they announced Tower or Terror today with it being themed to the Twilight Zone, I think it would get the same response Avatar did. Myself and many others have seen Twilight Zone episodes but to theme an E-Ticket attraction after that would boggle my mind. We'd be asking questions like "Why Twilight Zone?!", "What kids today will even know what that is?" "Why are they building a free fall drop ride when they have those at every theme park everywhere?" "What merchandise sales can they make off that? Are they going to sell Rod Serling dolls??!"

But here we are today, with that very attraction in existence and its one of the most popular rides at any of the parks. They also did a fantastic job theming it so it really doesn't matter if you know Twilight Zone or not, but if you do, there are fun nostalgia bits in there for you. And the merchandising team has done a pretty good job coming up with things to sell that relate to the attraction.

So again, I think with Avatar I'm asking all those same questions but they've pulled it off before and I think they can do it again.

mahnamahna101

Dont forget how people have claimed that the Frozen attraction will somehow make ALL of Epcot more appealing to those who previously found it lackluster and they will stay longer. Im really looking forward to visiting Innoventions East and West and enjoying all the new and exciting offerings that will be there once the Frozen attraction debuts. /sarc off
TDO really should come up with a way to get the Frozen revamp to 1,500/hr minimum. 1,800-2,000 is better.

EPCOT really needs its own $1.5 billion revamp

$800 million for Future World
$700 million for World Showcase

Use Future World's to:
Radically enhance Imagination! ($100 million)
Radically enhance Energy ($100 million)
Radically enhance Innoventions ($50 million)
Spruce up the plaza ($25 million)
Revamp Spaceship Earth's AAs and the finale ($50 million)
WoL replacement of some kind ($350 million) - includes an E-ticket family coaster, Omnimover and a show
Mission Space revamp ($50 million)
Enhancements for Living With the Land's AAs/sets ($25 million)

Use World Showcase's to:
Update all existing CircleVision films ($100 million)
Japan E-ticket ($150 million)
Germany D-ticket ($125 million)
UK C-ticket ($100 million)
Canada E-ticket ($175 million)
Italy B/C-ticket ($50 million)

Epcot would be ready for the Frozen flurries of fans if they had all of that in their arsenal :) of course that requires a lot of money and armchair Imagineering :p

mahnamahna101

Frozen is going to give Epcot and Disney a huge bump in 2016. I don't see Kong giving IOA the same bump.
A C-ticket ride that has 900/hr and excessive demand (meaning most who want to ride it won't be able to) versus an E-ticket ride that likely has 2,500-3,000/hr based on the giant RVs that won't cause people to stampede.

EPCOT has 11.9m from 2013. IOA had 8.1m from 2013. One has numerous areas that could use some love, the other is relatively top notch aside from small spurts. One has no momentum, and the other does. I wonder which has the best chance of getting a large increase in attendance for 2016. ;)

Kong is going to give IOA a bigger bump simply because it's high capacity, an E-ticket and IOA has more momentum/room to grow than Epcot right now.

Epcot needed to expand their attraction lineup in order to handle the crowds for this Frozen addition.

Epcot should get 5% while IOA could get 8-15%.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You got some of that right. One day we'll have a few drinks and I'll tell you all about my real life, which is a lot more interesting than this ranting, egotistical, but very knowledgeable online Spiritual persona. :greedy::devilish::cool:

I thought I might be in Orlando here in June.. but timing isn't playing out. But if the cards fall in place as I'm working on now... there could be regular tradeshows I'll be in Orlando for yearly. And you know what trade shows mean... free booze party crashing :D

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You know, ship has sailed, but I'd have ponied up the royalty $$ to theme the park to Buffet. Seems a no-brainer, would have differentiated it from Typhoon more and been very "Universal."

Well who's to say they have not ...

And to follow that up with a nice meal.

Last edited:

asianway

THIS is the point that bothers me, What IF TWDC actually has lots of 'Off Balance Sheet' stuff and they are spending like this because in reality they DO NOT have the money, Most companies which show this kind of profitablity are doing SOMETHING visible with the money even if it's only a flashy new HQ building.

Why the total fixation on the stock price unless the whole edifice crumbles if the stock drops.

I've been mocked for thoughts like this before and I'm sure I'll attract unwanted attention but the spending PATTERNS of TWDC recently bug me.
Did someone say off balance sheet debt for an entity under total TWDC control?

BernardandBianca

Nope. Too damn big. Ships that seem like giant floating Lifestyle centers. You'd barely know you were at sea. And waaaay too many people with you... Besides, I hear a woman could blow eight grand in a spa in a week on one.

Our last cruise was on Silverseas' Silver Cloud - now that is the way to cruise.

PhotoDave219

The stock price always has to be up because we pay the executives in Stock. The higher it goes, the more money they get and the more Yoda dresses they can buy their wives.

BernardandBianca

I may be wrong, but I think he is referring to Jennifer Fickley-Baker; social media manager on the Disney Parks Blog

Do you mean the cast member who announced on the DPB the debut of the turrets in front of the castle at WDW, and then had uncensored replies informing her that the turrets are still behind the scrims? As if she was writing from an outdated schedule, and hadn't bothered going to the park to see for herself?

PhotoDave219

TDO really should come up with a way to get the Frozen revamp to 1,500/hr minimum. 1,800-2,000 is better.

EPCOT really needs its own $1.5 billion revamp

$800 million for Future World
$700 million for World Showcase

Use Future World's to:
Radically enhance Imagination! ($100 million)
Radically enhance Energy ($100 million)
Radically enhance Innoventions ($50 million)
Spruce up the plaza ($25 million)
Revamp Spaceship Earth's AAs and the finale ($50 million)
WoL replacement of some kind ($350 million) - includes an E-ticket family coaster, Omnimover and a show
Mission Space revamp ($50 million)
Enhancements for Living With the Land's AAs/sets ($25 million)

Use World Showcase's to:
Update all existing CircleVision films ($100 million)
Japan E-ticket ($150 million)
Germany D-ticket ($125 million)
UK C-ticket ($100 million)
Canada E-ticket ($175 million)
Italy B/C-ticket ($50 million)

Epcot would be ready for the Frozen flurries of fans if they had all of that in their arsenal :) of course that requires a lot of money and armchair Imagineering :p

Speaking of armchair imagineering, there's a specific forum for that.

As for Frozenstrom, Short of putting in an omni-mover (and I have no idea how they could), its unlikely to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom