A Spirited Perfect Ten

Mike S

Who ever said that was an answer to Potter? I thought NFL was the answer to that?
The truth is Disney doesn't care what Universal does. The imagineers "bring it on" comment at D23 when questioned about Potter is all you need. NFL was a project to help capacity at MK which ended up not helping that much. It's still a madhouse. The knee jerk reaction to get the rights to Avatar is probably the closest thing to an "answer" we have, no matter how delayed it is from what it was supposed to "answer" to.

PhotoDave219

The truth is Disney doesn't care what Universal does. The imagineers "bring it on" comment at D23 when questioned about Potter is all you need. NFL was a project to help capacity at MK which ended up not helping that much. It's still a madhouse. The knee jerk reaction to get the rights to Avatar is probably the closest thing to an "answer" we have, no matter how delayed it is from what it was supposed to "answer" to.

I dunno about you but I'm not sure "We Dont Care What Our Competition Does" is the best business model.

Also means the likelyhood that they'll even pay attention to what the guests want is somewhere around slim/none.

But They'll sure pay attention to that Harvard MBA who worked on Wall Street that never set foot in a Theme Park, oh no....

Cesar R M

TDO really should come up with a way to get the Frozen revamp to 1,500/hr minimum. 1,800-2,000 is better.

EPCOT really needs its own $1.5 billion revamp

$800 million for Future World
$700 million for World Showcase

Use Future World's to:
Radically enhance Imagination! ($100 million)
Radically enhance Energy ($100 million)
Radically enhance Innoventions ($50 million)
Spruce up the plaza ($25 million)
Revamp Spaceship Earth's AAs and the finale ($50 million)
WoL replacement of some kind ($350 million) - includes an E-ticket family coaster, Omnimover and a show
Mission Space revamp ($50 million)
Enhancements for Living With the Land's AAs/sets ($25 million)

Use World Showcase's to:
Update all existing CircleVision films ($100 million)
Japan E-ticket ($150 million)
Germany D-ticket ($125 million)
UK C-ticket ($100 million)
Canada E-ticket ($175 million)
Italy B/C-ticket ($50 million)

Epcot would be ready for the Frozen flurries of fans if they had all of that in their arsenal :) of course that requires a lot of money and armchair Imagineering :p
you know, it makes me wonder.. a lot of these attractions have sponsor.
how badly would they be if there werent sponsors?

Cesar R M

Do you mean the cast member who announced on the DPB the debut of the turrets in front of the castle at WDW, and then had uncensored replies informing her that the turrets are still behind the scrims? As if she was writing from an outdated schedule, and hadn't bothered going to the park to see for herself?
I wonder if they have these posts queued and "programmed" to be posted at specified dates (for efficiency purposes)

orky8

Avatar certainly was the answer, but it still baffles me what the question was that prompted that answer.

Last edited:

space42

Who ever said that was an answer to Potter? I thought NFL was the answer to that?

I'm not even a huge UNI fan - but I've taken some more notice the last few years as what they are doing and it is indeed exciting!

To expand on what you were saying - since Disney announced their 'answer' to potter in 2011 - Universal has opened or announced the following:

Transformers, Potter 2.0, Springfield, Cabana Bay Hotel, City Walk upgrades, King Kong, Volcano Bay Water Park,and the Raptor experience - plus more I'm sure that I'm missing... this is just off the top of my head.

This is insane.

As a long time Disney fan - I can't think of any other time in history that I'm not at all excited about what they ARE building. I have 0 interest in Disney Springs. I have 0 interest in more time shares at WL. I have 0 interest in Maelstrom redo.
Avatar? Just don't know enough about it to get excited yet. I'm sure the land will be impressive (so is NFL) - hope the actual attractions are really exciting / immersive / large in scope, etc. Hearing that the main attraction is an upgraded version of Soarin' doesn't bode well though...

JediMasterMatt

A C-ticket ride that has 900/hr and excessive demand (meaning most who want to ride it won't be able to) versus an E-ticket ride that likely has 2,500-3,000/hr based on the giant RVs that won't cause people to stampede.

EPCOT has 11.9m from 2013. IOA had 8.1m from 2013. One has numerous areas that could use some love, the other is relatively top notch aside from small spurts. One has no momentum, and the other does. I wonder which has the best chance of getting a large increase in attendance for 2016. ;)

Kong is going to give IOA a bigger bump simply because it's high capacity, an E-ticket and IOA has more momentum/room to grow than Epcot right now.

Epcot needed to expand their attraction lineup in order to handle the crowds for this Frozen addition.

Epcot should get 5% while IOA could get 8-15%.

Just wait until next year when Pixiehuffers will be proclaiming Kong's failure when it fails to consistently produce 2 hour lines like On Frozen Pond.

Hourly capacity... it's like magnets - how does it work?

Don't worry though, EPCOT has it under control. To prepare for the increase in attendance they know they will have with Frozen, they added a capacity guzzling E-ticket just prior to it's opening. No wait, I'm confused. That was Universal when they knew Diagon was going to be a huge gate draw, so they quickly rushed in the high capacity E-ticket in Transformers to help with the load.

EPCOT is getting a 3rd theater for Soarin'... which is opening well after Frozen... which is replacing the capacity lost by Maelstrom.

Pull up a chair as early next year at EPCOT is going to be fun to watch.

mahnamahna101

Just wait until next year when Pixiehuffers will be proclaiming Kong's failure when it fails to consistently produce 2 hour lines like On Frozen Pond.

Hourly capacity... it's like magnets - how does it work?

Don't worry though, EPCOT has it under control. To prepare for the increase in attendance they know they will have with Frozen, they added a capacity guzzling E-ticket just prior to it's opening. No wait, I'm confused. That was Universal when they knew Diagon was going to be a huge gate draw, so they quickly rushed in the high capacity E-ticket in Transformers to help with the load.

EPCOT is getting a 3rd theater for Soarin'... which is opening well after Frozen... which is replacing the capacity lost by Maelstrom.

Pull up a chair as early next year at EPCOT is going to be fun to watch.
Haha Epcot's saving grace is the high capacity people-eaters in Future World... if they get people to visit any of them besides SSE.

Soarin' needs to have 5-6 auditoriums in order to have decent capacity.

Indeed, they all must think POTC, HM, SSE, PeopleMover, Star Tours, GMR and Dinosaur are unpopular, just because none of them have waits over 45 minutes... ever. High capacity does wonders for an attraction.

JediMasterMatt

Indeed, they all must think POTC, HM, SSE, PeopleMover, Star Tours, GMR and Dinosaur are unpopular, just because none of them have waits over 45 minutes... ever. High capacity does wonders for an attraction.

No worries. FP+ has all those "unpopular" attractions sorted out. People churning hourly capacity or not... we're making everything have a line.

ParentsOf4

To me the IP doesn't really matter too much, its all about execution. I've used this example before but I think it really stands out. If they announced Tower or Terror today with it being themed to the Twilight Zone, I think it would get the same response Avatar did. Myself and many others have seen Twilight Zone episodes but to theme an E-Ticket attraction after that would boggle my mind. We'd be asking questions like "Why Twilight Zone?!", "What kids today will even know what that is?" "Why are they building a free fall drop ride when they have those at every theme park everywhere?" "What merchandise sales can they make off that? Are they going to sell Rod Serling dolls??!"

But here we are today, with that very attraction in existence and its one of the most popular rides at any of the parks. They also did a fantastic job theming it so it really doesn't matter if you know Twilight Zone or not, but if you do, there are fun nostalgia bits in there for you. And the merchandising team has done a pretty good job coming up with things to sell that relate to the attraction.

So again, I think with Avatar I'm asking all those same questions but they've pulled it off before and I think they can do it again.
More than 20 years after it opened, Tower of Terror (TOT) continues to be one of my favorite attractions. Imagineering seemed to get so many things right with TOT. It appears that like you, The Twilight Zone tie-in never meant much to me, even though I regularly watched The Twilight Zone in my youth. The tie-in is almost a distraction from the attraction.

Pandora could be a wonderfully entertaining land, if Disney doesn't cut corners, but I have a difficult time envisioning it generating the success of the Wizzarding World of Harry Potter (WWOHP). WWOHP has some fanatical fans, with many of them working at WWOHP, adding an air of authenticity to the land. It's the WWOHP's Team Members who help make WWOHP what it is. Avatar has no such fanatical following.

In addition, wasn't Avatar overwhelmingly CGI? The Harry Potter films certainly also had a ton of CGI but those have transferred well to a physical set. Is Disney going to be able to create a land that feels as real as the WWOHP?

Then there's J.K. Rowlings' richly textured books, helping designers flesh out the WWOHP. Avatar doesn't really have anything similar.

Disney is capable of creating something as immersive as Tower of Terror was in 1994 or the WWOHP is today. The question are: Will they and will most Guests even care if they do?

Can Pandora match the WWOHP? I don't think so.

Can Pandora match the Tower Of Terror? Maybe.

Last edited:

WildcatDen

But Avatar was the answer to Hogsmeade..
Why does anything have to be an answer to anything else? I get the idea Disney doesn't feel they need to answer anything UNI does. To keep bringing it up is a bit redundant. Disney is doing their thing at their pace. Seems to be working out for them profits wise. Sure, it may not be what we want or expect and it may well come back to bite them later, but right now, my expectations for Disney to "Answer" UNI is non existent.

Mike S

I dunno about you but I'm not sure "We Dont Care What Our Competition Does" is the best business model.

Also means the likelyhood that they'll even pay attention to what the guests want is somewhere around slim/none.

But They'll sure pay attention to that Harvard MBA who worked on Wall Street that never set foot in a Theme Park, oh no....
I agree. Especially with the latest announcement of Volcano Bay, you would think Disney would look to their own water parks and think "what can we do to improve them?" They've gone just as long or even longer without new additions as the theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom