Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

Kman101

I'd hope they wouldn't bother with the third theater if they weren't also adding in the new film. But they could always say, hey, we improved capacity so we don't need it. But because it was developed for Shanghai, doesn't that mean it's not exactly that costly. It's just a film. I'd have to imagine we get it at some point. Heaven forbid a film about flying over the world makes it to Epcot, you know, where you can actually walk around places from the world. That makes far too much sense. I'd rather California keep their version but watch them get it before Epcot does.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
This isn't exactly new news to most of us.

This is been rumored and confirmed to a point for several months now.

And for everyone who has pie-in-the-sky hopes for this, I would not expect the new film for quite some time… if ever.

The current ride has everything going for it. It has all of its numbers. It has fantastic gassed response and has had ridiculous demand for nine years now. Which naturally would lead management to conclude that "new changes are necessary"…

Yes, this rumor has been floating around for a while but even our best insiders get wrong information from time to time (or things change after they were given the information), so it's nice to see concrete verification that something is actually happening.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Almost 2 years to add a new theatre* to an almost 15 year old C/D ticket attraction, not to mention all the work already completed over the last 9 months clearing the land.
By contrast, USO went from Jaws ride operating to the opening of Gringotts in 2 years 6 months!

Yes, I know the permit expiration doesn't necessarily give you the completion date - but it is a guide.

Yeah, this does seem like a long time, especially when we are talking about a ride that has almost zero themeing, no fancy rock work, landscaping or other details to build.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thats exactly what I meant. SW is not part of the coming project but is a separate project farther down the road that is not worth getting one's hopes up for anytime soon.

Because? Profits! We sure can't try and capture fans of the 40+ year saga that still remains relevant to society today with more films on the way, right?
Is SW still part of the $1.2 to $1.6B rumored budget? I have to assume yes. If not then there must be some additional substantial stuff coming to DHS.

flyerjab

Is SW still part of the $1.2 to $1.6B rumored budget? I have to assume yes. If not then there must be some additional substantial stuff coming to DHS.

What I thought I knew has now become a little cloudy. All the current changes - TSMM expansion/plussing, TSPL, CarsLand something or other, general overall theming changes/added eateries/shopping, etc. - is all that compromises the current budget numbers that have been put out there by our insiders?

If so that changes my impression of what is happening, especially if the Star Wars part of this overall redo is not included in that budget. Meaning I am anticipating this redo even more if the Star Wars work is coming from a separate budget. Spirit indicated in a separate thread that some people state that the DCA redo topped out at the 1.1 billionths level, but he went on to add more that raised the overall price to over 1.6 billion.

TWDC played with that budget too. The figure they widely circulated was $1.2 billion, BUT that didn't include TSMM, WoC, the new Pixar Parade, all those night fests etc. The figure most in the business use when all of that is factored in is somewhere north of $1.6 billion.

If Spirit knows his insider info - which, love him or hate him - he typically does, then what I am taking from this is that TWDC is planning on spending about 1.7 billion on the transformation of DHS, but that this figure does not include the Star Wars part of the expansion? That doesn't seem right.

I am also trying to figure out what this has to do with the Soarin' expansion. ;)

mahnamahna101

What I thought I knew has now become a little cloudy. All the current changes - TSMM expansion/plussing, TSPL, CarsLand something or other, general overall theming changes/added eateries/shopping, etc. - is all that compromises the current budget numbers that have been put out there by our insiders?

If so that changes my impression of what is happening, especially if the Star Wars part of this overall redo is not included in that budget. Meaning I am anticipating this redo even more if the Star Wars work is coming from a separate budget. Spirit indicated in a separate thread that some people state that the DCA redo topped out at the 1.1 billionths level, but he went on to add more that raised the overall price to over 1.6 billion.

If Spirit knows his insider info - which, love him or hate him - he typically does, then what I am taking from this is that TWDC is planning on spending about 1.7 billion on the transformation of DHS, but that this figure does not include the Star Wars part of the expansion? That doesn't seem right.

I am also trying to figure out what this has to do with the Soarin' expansion. ;)
If DHS gets $1.7 billion for its makeover....

...and Star Wars Land is included separately....

I'm expecting the following or it's a huge waste of money:
Pixar Place ($800 million)
  1. TSMM 3rd track: $40 million
  2. TSPL (behind TSMM) - includes Woody's Roundup, Slinky Dog, RC Racers (3 B ticket flats) and Pizza Planet (QS restaurant) - $85 million ($125 million)
  3. Bug's Life miniland - includes rethemed HISTK play area, Heimlich's Chew Chew Train and Flik's Flyers (2 B-ticket flats) - $75 million ($200 million)
  4. Cars miniland - Mater themed dark ride and Flo's: $150 million ($350 million)
  5. Incredibles E ticket using the Twister ride system: $250 million ($600 million)
  6. Monstropolis miniland - relocated Laugh Floor, Door Coaster and Harryhausen's: $200 million ($800 million)
Muppets mini-land ($225 million) - $1.025 billion
  1. Gonzo and Swedish Chef-themed restaurant: $20 million
  2. Muppet Mobile Labs: $10 million ($30 million)
  3. Permanent M&G: $25 million ($55 million)
  4. New MuppetVision film: $20 million ($75 million)
  5. Muppets dark ride: $150 million ($225 million)
Hollywood Blvd ($150 million) - $1.175 billion
  1. Great Movie Ride revamp/upgrade - $140 million
  2. BAH removal - $10 million
Sunset Blvd ($175 million) - $1.35 billion
  1. Tangled replacing B&TB show - $25 million
  2. Gangster-themed trackless dark ride - $150 million
Toontown replaces Animation Courtyard ($350 million) - $1.7 billion
  1. Roger Rabbit dark ride - $80 million
  2. Mickey and Friends M&G - $50 million
  3. Toontown Trolley E ticket - $120 million
  4. Plane Crazy flat ride - $20 million
  5. Goofy themed family coaster - $80 million
Of course... that would make DHS a near-perfect park. Add in Star Wars Land and an Indiana Jones-themed water ride... probably my favorite theme park, period.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If DHS gets $1.7 billion for its makeover....

...and Star Wars Land is included separately....

I'm expecting the following or it's a huge waste of money:
Pixar Place ($800 million)
  1. TSMM 3rd track: $40 million
  2. TSPL (behind TSMM) - includes Woody's Roundup, Slinky Dog, RC Racers (3 B ticket flats) and Pizza Planet (QS restaurant) - $85 million ($125 million)
  3. Bug's Life miniland - includes rethemed HISTK play area, Heimlich's Chew Chew Train and Flik's Flyers (2 B-ticket flats) - $75 million ($200 million)
  4. Cars miniland - Mater themed dark ride and Flo's: $150 million ($350 million)
  5. Incredibles E ticket using the Twister ride system: $250 million ($600 million)
  6. Monstropolis miniland - relocated Laugh Floor, Door Coaster and Harryhausen's: $200 million ($800 million)
Muppets mini-land ($225 million) - $1.025 billion
  1. Gonzo and Swedish Chef-themed restaurant: $20 million
  2. Muppet Mobile Labs: $10 million ($30 million)
  3. Permanent M&G: $25 million ($55 million)
  4. New MuppetVision film: $20 million ($75 million)
  5. Muppets dark ride: $150 million ($225 million)
Hollywood Blvd ($150 million) - $1.175 billion
  1. Great Movie Ride revamp/upgrade - $140 million
  2. BAH removal - $10 million
Sunset Blvd ($175 million) - $1.35 billion
  1. Tangled replacing B&TB show - $25 million
  2. Gangster-themed trackless dark ride - $150 million
Toontown replaces Animation Courtyard ($350 million) - $1.7 billion
  1. Roger Rabbit dark ride - $80 million
  2. Mickey and Friends M&G - $50 million
  3. Toontown Trolley E ticket - $120 million
  4. Plane Crazy flat ride - $20 million
  5. Goofy themed family coaster - $80 million
Of course... that would make DHS a near-perfect park. Add in Star Wars Land and an Indiana Jones-themed water ride... probably my favorite theme park, period.
We took the conversation over to Spirit's thread since it's off topic on the Soarin expansion.
The Spirited Back Nine ...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
OK, let's get back to Soarin'

Here is the basic timeline for the current Epcot projects

When the Frozen attraction opens in Norway

then Soarin' will close and approx. 6 months later all 3 Soarin' theaters will open with new digital projectors and the new show.

Are you guessing or do you have information? I doesn't sound like we will see the new show when the the new theater opens.

flyerjab

then Soarin' will close and approx. 6 months later all 3 Soarin' theaters will open with new digital projectors and the new show.

Will they also make/keep a digital version of the California version so that there is some variety? Just curious about that for some reason.

RSoxNo1

Are you guessing or do you have information? I doesn't sound like we will see the new show when the the new theater opens.
The timeline all makes sense. The news there is the 6 month window. I would imagine that after the 2015 Holiday season that Soarin' would close.

Also, this rumor was mentioned by Jim Hill in March of 2012. It wasn't until November of 2013 that the rumor resurfaced when WDW1974 mentioned it again. At that point most had assumed that the 3rd theater was dead.

PhotoDave219

The timeline all makes sense. The news there is the 6 month window. I would imagine that after the 2015 Holiday season that Soarin' would close.

Also, this rumor was mentioned by Jim Hill in March of 2012. It wasn't until November of 2013 that the rumor resurfaced when WDW1974 mentioned it again. At that point most had assumed that the 3rd theater was dead.

Just curious, do you get a percentage when you pimp Jim Hill like that? Lol

PhotoDave219

Is this your speculation or do you have good source telling you this?

Progress.City

Thats exactly what I meant. SW is not part of the coming project but is a separate project farther down the road that is not worth getting one's hopes up for anytime soon.

Because? Profits! We sure can't try and capture fans of the 40+ year saga that still remains relevant to society today with more films on the way, right?
Gotta love a American capitalism! Our capitalism isn't just capitalism... It's the American way of doing it that is quite unique compared to other nations! Japan comes close, but Japanese capitalism is its own way of doing things.... Every capitalist country does it their own unique way... American capitalism? Profits are up, let's go on a building spree!!!! lol

Progress.City

That's what I've been thinking. There's probably more Spirit wasn't told. For example, if the Monster's Door Coaster was all ready to go into SS1 and even DCA is interested, how can they not jump at the opportunity to just build it. It would help capacity. It could be built fast, since all the engineering is done already and no infrastructure is required. Something to open while the rest is under perpetual construction is what they need. MIDC would fill that requirement and be also be a popular new addition!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Gotta love a American capitalism! Our capitalism isn't just capitalism... It's the American way of doing it that is quite unique compared to other nations! Japan comes close, but Japanese capitalism is its own way of doing things.... Every capitalist country does it their own unique way... American capitalism? Profits are up, let's go on a building spree!!!! lol
Japanese capitalism is different. Companies are more intertwined with each other and also with big banks. Many large corporations have large shareholders in common. It's more of a communal effort where you strive for success not just for yourself but for your "partners" as well. There is also more of an emphasis put on economic factors outside of pure profits. Japanese companies strive to be the largest by market share or highest quality as opposed to just focusing on profits above all other factors.

One downside is Japanese workers tend to be overworked and although they may be treated more fairly (as it relates to compensation) than workers at American corporations the levels of stress and hours worked tend to be even higher. Part of it is a cultural thing. People take their work very seriously and a failure by their company is considered a personal failure. I don't see too many Americans who share that mentality.

Clamman73

But will the Frozen attraction open at 9:00am when Soarin' is down?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom