The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

spacemt354

Chili's
One more thing to add...do we think the guardians of the galaxy will end up crossing paths with the avengers for the infinity wars? I don't know much about the comics...

That would be my guess.

This whole Cinematic Universe has been building on the Infinity Gauntlet storyline with Thanos being the big bad guy trying to collect all 6 infinity gems to complete the gauntlet. The gems in the movies have been the Tesseract (Space Gem), the Aether (Reality Gem), and the Orb (Power Gem) from GotG. I also think Loki's staff is the Mind Gem but I don't know if that's confirmed. If so, then it only leaves the Time Gem and the Soul Gem left to introduce.

Basically, if one collects all the gems and puts them in the gauntlet, they control the entire universe. Thanos wants that and if he gets it, it'll be all hands on deck in the MCU, which will mean a probable crossover between GotG and Avengers since everyone will be needed to stop Thanos.

Gosh, Part 2 is gonna be epic.:happy:

ThemeParkJunkee

Well, another 19 pages I may get around to reading. At Portofino Bay ...finally... I have been patiently waiting for this leg of my journey for a while. Tuesday in late October...my Express pass is not that necessary and it is perfect. The weather is great, my room wasn't ready for three hours but we were fine. So done with WDW at this point. DBF is definately done and I am inclined to agree. He is all for a "drive by" two day trip five years from now to see whatever is new. That is it.

ETA: We went to Sea World and Busch Gardens prior to planting ourselves here at Universal. We love roller coasters and nature shows.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
A couple of you asked various questions about the Asian parks, so here are some random thoughts that are generally responsive to those questions:

-I had heard HKDL has a more intense Halloween than the US Parks but, holy cow, I was not expecting that. I ended up going through both houses the second time by myself because my wife refused to do Graves Academy a second time. Very, very well done and a great change of pace from the usual Halloween stuff in the US. I only wish HKDL debuted Paint the Night earlier or later so it didn't cause a cut to the rest of the Halloween stuff.

-Haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere, but the stage show at HKDL (new for this year) features some local celebrity who is a member of S.E.A. He seemed a lot like Harrison Hightower, except not quite as dastardly, and he was collecting freaks rather than artifacts. Visually cool show, but entirely in Cantonese, so I probably missed something via dialogue (dialogue is seldom that important to Disney shows, so those who are letting 'not understanding anything' stop you from visiting the int'l parks--don't).

-I am not one of the 'anti-HKDL' people (quite the contrary), but I was underwhelmed by Paint the Night. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I felt the pacing was terrible (they need to get rid of the show stops and interactive element--both were complete duds on opening night) and it feels a bit imbalanced in favor of contemporary/hip stuff. There are some flashes of brilliance in terms of the floats (and costumes!), but the parade needs more than a little tweaking. It's no Dreamlights, but definitely better than MSEP.

-Skeleton Friends at Tokyo DisneySea (YouTube it) is the best Halloween entertainment at any park, and prove that good 'streetmosphere' can be just as important as good attractions.

-Once Upon a Time is far better than I expected based on the reviews. It's not Disney Dreams quality, but it's a significant improvement over what WDW has--and I like Celebrate the Magic.

-Jungle Cruise enhancements are great, and their skippers are always a hoot. I don't get the controversy over The Lion King music (hasn't the attraction always been self-aware and broken the fourth wall?). All of my TDR friends said the night version was "much better," but I didn't find that to be the case. Was really just a minor tweak of the day version.

-Visited USJ, which is a great park, although it needs to add some serious capacity. Single rider saved me. Their WWoHP is better than USF's in terms of ambiance (Black Lake is a big deal). Space Fantasy is an attraction about which I had never heard, but is incredible. HHN was fun, especially the roaming zombies.

-No hard ticket Halloween events in any 3 of the Japanese parks I visited. Also, admission is ~$60 US for each of these parks and includes the Halloween events. Yes, it's cheaper to visit Tokyo DisneySea for a day than DHS. You could even do a meal at Magellan's and still come out ahead...

I have plenty more thoughts, but I'm not sure whether more than 2-3 of you actually care about the Asian parks, so I'll stop rambling now. If you want to know more, just ask...

Stupid question, but the S.E.A. celebrity would probably be the owner of the monkey in Mystic Manor I would think (I haven't been to HKDL in about 4 years)

WDWFigment

Stupid question, but the S.E.A. celebrity would probably be the owner of the monkey in Mystic Manor I would think (I haven't been to HKDL in about 4 years)

That's Lord Henry Mystic, this is an actual local HK celebrity. It's a special Halloween show ("Horrors of the Amazon"), unrelated to Mystic Point/Manor. Very good show.

RSoxNo1

Exactly why I said since Indy (still my all-time favorite). Tower and Splash (in its prime) are definately in the conversation, too.

I haven't ridden RSR but from what I've seen, I don't think it'll top Gringotts for me personally. Fondness for the subject matter is always a factor, and I have no real care for Cars. Plus, you know...Test Track.

I also think that Disney hasn't matched Forbidden Journey, ever, though there are Disney rides I like more for just because I'm overly fond of them.
The reality is, they're all excellent attractions. It's the Spiderman vs. Transformers debate. For me, I like Spiderman better but others like Transformers better. There's not much wrong with either attraction though so at this point we're arguing semantics.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
"everyone's favorite park that they've never been to, Tokyo DisneySea"

I love that description! It's so true!

As someone who has been to Tokyo DisneySea multiple times in the last decade, I can tell you there's no real difference between Mermaid Lagoon in Tokyo and the four dressed up carnie rides in Flik's Fun Fair in Anaheim. Mermaid Lagoon is indoors, because the Tokyo climate can be rainy and generally crummy about seven or eight months out of the year. The Anaheim climate is generally perfect about 9 or 10 months out of the year, so no need to put Flik's Fun Fair indoors.

Pair the four Flik's Fun Fair rides with the newly digital and astoundingly impressive upkeep on the Tough To Be A Bug show next door, and A Bug's Land at DCA is a really solid family-friendly land. Any of the WDW parks would be instantly improved and their desperately low attraction-count would skyrocket if they got a version of A Bug's Land from DCA.

Heimlich's Chew Chew Train - Every ride can't be Space Mountain! :D
heimlichs_chew_chew_train1.jpg

If DHS is getting a Toy Story Land with dressed up carnival rides, that's definitely not a bad thing. So long as it's not the only thing. DHS also needs a solid D Ticket, a kick-butt E Ticket, and a thorough replacement of all the tired old 1990's stage shows in DHS to complete the transformation (plus a parade and a Disneyland-style upgrade to the embarrassing version of Fantasmic! there).

But a handful of family-friendly carnival rides would begin to flesh out the painfully weak attraction lineup at DHS. And begin to elevate it to the level of truly great second-gate parks like DCA and DisneySea. :cool:

What we are afraid of is the carnie rides will indeed be the only thing, As you say having some well themed flat rides would indeed help the park.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was a themed carnival ride in the same way a high school play is the same thing as a professional Broadway production.

I don't know what kind of roadside carnivals they have where you live, but around here there is nothing even approaching Mr. Toad. You could argue that the Carousel and Teacups are well-presented carnival rides, but I've never seen a carnival with a "dark ride" other than a couple semi-trucks with a 20-second spin through a crude haunted house (and even that's uncommon). That is in no way comparable to Toad; The scale, theme, and presentation are as different as night and day. Sure, you can say that is similar to Toad, but then the carnival itself is also similar to the Magic Kingdom as a whole (they both have rides, places to eat, etc.). It's not a valid comparison.

If any "carnie rides" going into the Studios were on the scale of even Mr. Toad people wouldn't have a problem with it. The concern is over getting a Dinorama 2.0 (Bugs Land, Toy Story Playland, etc.).

I did enjoy Mr Toad's ride, But the original and much enhanced version still exists at DL.

Bairstow

Well, another 19 pages I may get around to reading. At Portofino Bay ...finally... I have been patiently waiting for this leg of my journey for a while. Tuesday in late October...my Express pass is not that necessary and it is perfect. The weather is great, my room wasn't ready for three hours but we were fine. So done with WDW at this point. DBF is definately done and I am inclined to agree. He is all for a "drive by" two day trip five years from now to see whatever is new. That is it.

ETA: We went to Sea World and Busch Gardens prior to planting ourselves here at Universal. We love roller coasters and nature shows.

Hey, could you do me solid and ask the Gringotts Money Exchange goblin where to find the Jaws ride?
I want to see what he says.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom