The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
And on the note of DHS Bulldozers-I just saw a petition for #SaveTheSorcerersHat.

Did I miss that memo? But I did see a cute photo tweeted under the banner of #savethesorcerershat

B0uXJh4IEAAuqZP.png

Daniel Johnson

PhotoDave219

Agreed. But in my experience of watching Disney build stuff in their parks for the last 20 years, it's a three year job for Disney to get a major new attraction operating from start to finish. Two years at best if the attraction doesn't involve a ride system and is a theater show.

With that said, and knowing there isn't yet a bulldozer in sight at DHS, I would think the earliest we'd see anything at DHS is the third Toy Story Midway Mania track coming online in the summer of 2017. And that's not really new and won't be marketable.

If bulldozers arrive this winter to start prepping land in the rumored Star Wars or Pixar Place areas, the earliest we'd see the new lands and their rides open is Spring, 2018.

If they follow the DCA model, they'll open the smaller/less marketable things first in 2018 and save a Star Wars Land opening for last for 2019 or later. If DHS really does get a DCA style extreme makeover, it would appear to be a project that isn't completed until the end of this decade, if not the dawn of the 2020's. For real.

Again… It is my opinion and analysis that redevelopment of the back lot area of DHS Will begin sometime in the January to March timeframe.

The scope, specifics, or specifically everything that it will entail? No friggin idea. Don't know, don't care, I'll look forward to seeing it in 2020.

As for Star Wars… I really want to smack the first guy who put Star Wars land out there in the first place about a year ago… Because they Cause mi so many damn headaches.... The first thing park to get anything Star Wars related will not be in Orlando. And that won't be anytime soon. As for a timetable? We are still looking at 12 to 18 months at the earliest… Possibly 24 months out before construction would even start here.

So yes, we are looking at a good five years of construction at the studios.

DC0703

Certainly something is coming, and Star Wars will eventually be some part of it, but @ford91exploder does sort of have a point. Nothing is coming in the immediate future; Construction has yet to begin, so any new additions are probably looking at late 2016 or 2017 at the earliest. In other words, among guests who tend to visit regularly (every year), they will have at least two more visits - to a park which already needs help - before any expansions debut.

Consider the source.

My guess is that they will do a phased approach (like they've been partial to lately). Pixar (or whatever they are doing back there) will probably be first, given the closings. I would bet that Star Wars Land won't even begin until after at least some parts of the Pixar area are done and open. They won't want to have over half the park mostly closed off.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Hmpf. I just saw that a Disney Spokesman said this afternoon on the news that the Hat is coming down, starting to pop up on news feeds of many sights. Interesting.

Edit:

Disney Spokesman Bryan Malenius just confirmed to Local 6 the park plans to reimagine the park's central plaza by removing the Sorcerer's Hat in early 2015.

That's not the only change. Disney's walkthrough attraction "The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow" will be closing on Nov. 6.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Hmpf. I just saw that a Disney Spokesman said this afternoon on the news that the Hat is coming down, starting to pop up on news feeds of many sights. Interesting.

Edit:

Disney Spokesman Bryan Malenius just confirmed to Local 6 the park plans to reimagine the park's central plaza by removing the Sorcerer's Hat in early 2015.

That's not the only change. Disney's walkthrough attraction "The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow" will be closing on Nov. 6.
wow, DHS will be even worse in 2015 than 1 year ago..

I mean, back lot closed, jacksparrow down, LMA down as well? constructions walls up everywhere...

Goofyernmost

Exactly and it's the goal of most of the so called 'Haters' on this board. Just bring back the quality we USED to get, We understand it's not a museum, Attractions WILL change but as long as they are BETTER than what they replace most of us WILL be happy.
I'd like to believe that, but, I'm afraid that no matter what is given the reaction is going to be the same. Not enough, not enough, never enough.

GiveMeTheMusic

I'd like to believe that, but, I'm afraid that no matter what is given the reaction is going to be the same. Not enough, not enough, never enough.

At this point, I don't think it's possible for Disney to do enough. They're so unbelievably behind and stale at WDW that it would take billions and billions of dollars to get their parks up to the standards enjoyed at other resorts, let alone to the cutting edge they once were.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
At this point, I don't think it's possible for Disney to do enough. They're so unbelievably behind and stale at WDW that it would take billions and billions of dollars to get their parks up to the standards enjoyed at other resorts, let alone to the cutting edge they once were.

Considering TWDC is spending between 49% and 116% depending on accounting rules used of free cash flow on stock buybacks - what is it this quarter 6-8 billion???? They could easily spend 2 billion on EACH park and barely affect the pace of stock buybacks.

misterID

... not to mention a significant increase in park-to-park ticket sales. I believe you predicted that the need to a park-to-park ticket to ride the Hogwart's Express would be a major problem for Uni.
I think those "many park patrons" he was talking about were some of us who followed every detail of construction, listened to the insiders gush about the tech and concept, and created a ride in our heads that could not possibly live up to expectations... sort of like the numbers UNI expected which by all accounts were incredibly unrealistic... The many let down were not as many as he thinks... or wants to, it seems.

TP2000

Again… It is my opinion and analysis that redevelopment of the back lot area of DHS Will begin sometime in the January to March timeframe....

So yes, we are looking at a good five years of construction at the studios.

Agreed. Both to the January-March timeframe when we might see the first bulldozer and glimmer of site prep, and that the timeframe on the whole DHS project takes us out to the end of the decade, if not 2020 or later.

As a reminder to those who may not have been around, or have forgotten, here's how the DCA Extreme Makeover went down timing-wise:

Fall, 2005 - Backstage clearing and prep work begins for Toy Story Midway Mania
October, 2006 - Construction walls go up Onstage for Toy Story Midway Mania
Winter/Spring, 2007 - Al Lutz breaks series of articles on his blog about a massive park-wide project to redo DCA, including a name change
October 17th, 2007 - Bob Iger announces a 1.2 Billion Dollar project to rebuild and rebrand DCA, capped by Cars Land in 2012.
June, 2008 - Toy Story Midway Mania opens, but was not part of 1.2 Billion Dollar budget approved 9 months earlier
Winter, 2009 - Major reconstruction and demolition begins throughout Paradise Pier
June, 2010 - World of Color premieres
September, 2010 - Buena Vista Street construction begins
Spring, 2011 - Paradise Gardens and Goofy's Sky School open
May, 2011 - The Little Mermaid ride opens
June 15, 2012 - Cars Land, Buena Vista Street and the new Disney California Adventure opens

So that's about five years from the Bob Iger press announcement on 10/17/07 to the grand reopening ribbon cutting on 6/15/12. It cost well over a Billion dollars, perhaps 1.5 Billion, especially when you add Midway Mania and World of Color.

And that got DCA five (5) all new rides, three other rides re-themed/re-skinned, one new night spectacular, a fabulously swanky restaurant, and a whole lot of pretty buildings, theme changes, and aesthetic upgrades throughout the park.

What does DHS need to get up to at least DCA's current level of offerings? 1.5 Billion like DCA got? More than 1.5 Billion?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom