DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

kap91

I didn't see that other thread (just searched for your earlier posts) so it's not for your lack of posting ;)

I just don't see how they do that.. the savings just don't seem to be there, and given the numbers driven organization that the parks have become.. it just doesn't add up to me. I'll be more than happy to say I was wrong... but for them to go that direction would be jaw dropping shocking to me.
I don't think they're as 100% number driven (or at least dollar driven) as the consensus on this board seems to be. We know they pay a ton of attention to guest feedback, fastpass+ was at least in part a direct response to guest complaints about line length, what's to say the #1 complaint at DHS isn't TSMM's wait time? That'd be enough reason to add capacity to it. (We can argue all day whether it makes sense to add capacity to the ride or add more attractions - but can we agree that the most direct and immediately logical (certainly by the suits that run the place) solution to a ride that has long waits is to essentially add more cars to that ride?))

And I'm sure there’s a hundred ways the numbers could add up depending on how they add them. If a person is only waiting in line for an hour instead of two well that's an hour they can spend in a restaurant or gift shop isn't it? Especially if the new track is fastpass only track (don't know for sure but I suspect that's the case as it would allow them to increase capacity without having to change anything about the original ride, nor have to close it). That increases the number of people who aren't waiting in line at all.

michmousefan

I can't think of any way that a "third" TSM track would work. First, the queue is in between the current loading area and Soundstage 1. Second, while the ride path has two tracks, it only has one loading and unloading zone and dispatches two vehicles at a time. A "third" track would have to be an entirely redesigned ride system if it were indeed only one track.

Even if they somehow did this, having one side handle 1/3rd of the capacity and the other sides take 2/3rds would be a nightmare to for traffic flow.

Another option would be to copy and paste and mirror the entire original ride track, and I highly doubt that would happen, given that, again, the queue is in between and would have to be completely reconfigured.

toy_story_mania_possibilities.jpg

Dark green and pink = queue. Soundstage 1 would be to the left of this image.

On top of all of that, adding a third track would likely require a substantial shutdown of the existing ride. With the backlot tour and other things closing left and right, they won't take their most popular ride offline for any stretch of time... at least not anytime soon.

kap91

30-45min waits when an average attraction can be 20mins... (which is pretty common for TSMM vs other stuff in DCA) is a world of difference than 120min waits compared to the rest of DHS's wait times.

TSMM wait times (as a function of TP's 1-10 scale)
chart

Yes, there are more differences (FP for instance) - but the fact TSMM is located within 10min walking distance of 60+ other attractions is a huge factor compared to DHS where it sits on an island... a 30min bus ride away from the MK and other diversions that fit it's demographic as well.
Guess I've never visited on anything less than a 10 day.

Cesar R M

I was with you up until this. I think anyone suggesting that a new attraction would reduce the demand and wait time for TSMM is crazy. If a new family friendly ride opened at Soundstage 1, it's not like people will say "I don't need to ride TSMM now" -- they'd want to ride the new ride and TSMM. And if the new ride actually draws a greater number of people to the park, those new people will want to ride TSMM. And I personally know of a number of folks who have been to DHS -- even with young kids -- and not ridden TSMM due to the long wait and not having FPs; if the ride had a sudden decrease in wait time then that crowd of folks would actually get in line to ride it.

Sure, if there were a lot of new rides added to DHS, then you might see a decrease in wait time/demand for TSMM. But we are talking at least 5 new rides, probably more like 10. As long as the number of rides in DHS remains in single digits and TSMM is one of only ones without a height restrictions, the vast majority of guests entering the gates are going to want to ride it. A single additional ride in SS1 is not going to dent demand for TSMM and will potentially make it worse.
the point is spreading the people into TWO rides instead of all forcefully waiting on 1 attraction.

kap91

On top of all of that, adding a third track would likely require a substantial shutdown of the existing ride. With the backlot tour and other things closing left and right, they won't take their most popular ride offline for any stretch of time... at least not anytime soon.

It doesn't have to be attached to the current track. Or the queue for that matter. Especially if it's fastpass or standby only.

noidwork

Everyone keeps talking about how Disney got caught flat footed with the success of Frozen and they didn't have anything pre-postured to captitalize on it's success. With that in mind, my guess, and it's just a guess, I haven't seen, heard, read anything, is that this is Nemo related. Last time I checked Finding Dory is slated to be released in June 2016. I'm guessing their banking on that being a huge hit. Wouldn't it be nice if for once they could show some synergy and launch a movie and it's related ride at the same time? I know Epcot has the Sea's and all, but we all agree it's attrocious. Maybe they're starting to right the ship.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think they're as 100% number driven (or at least dollar driven) as the consensus on this board seems to be. We know they pay a ton of attention to guest feedback, fastpass+ was at least in part a direct response to guest complaints about line length, what's to say the #1 complaint at DHS isn't TSMM's wait time? That'd be enough reason to add capacity to it

What I've concluded from my observations is an organization focusing on the bottom line. Something is in need? Ok, but only if the bottom line allows it. Someone sees excess and says "see.. they spend money!" - but that is from another bucket when it's a new attraction being built.. entirely different mindset and leeway vs the guys trying to balance the parks' operating budgets every 2-4 weeks. This is the company that shutters fully functioning locations to idle them to save operating costs.. or shutters things rather than invest to modernize. Those are tells of a company that puts the bottom line metrics FIRST.. everything else is 'if it fits'.

Reduced line waits do not drive additional revenue on their own.. they only help save revenue if your customers are so ed they are leaving. That's why I have a hard time thinking they would spend what I imagine would spend 20,30+ ?? million dollars to just reduce TSMM waits because of customer satisfaction scores. That would be a huge spend just for survey results. Seems disproportionate to their normal MO.

It reeks of the company that does things only when they absolutely must.. or if someone can argue it will pay for itself. Doing it for pure customer sat doesn't seem to be in the deck anymore.

kap91

well lets make this moot... the bigwigs would not come from anaheim to look at a track expansion of a current ride... and really, how many times has staggs been seen out in the GeneralPop of WDW?

I wasn't arguing they were. They're clearly here for another reason. No they're not gonna come out just for a moved frozen celebration and added track. But, that doesn't mean those things aren't also happening.

Blueliner

The strongest rumors I've heard about Ratatouille have it going to DHS (potentially with a restaurant), however it does sound like there is a 5 year exclusivity agreement in place in Paris.

If they broke ground now, that would fit current WDW construction timelines!

All kidding aside, the exec spotting and permit are fun bits of news to chew on until more details emerge.

RayTheFirefly

Everyone keeps talking about how Disney got caught flat footed with the success of Frozen and they didn't have anything pre-postured to captitalize on it's success. With that in mind, my guess, and it's just a guess, I haven't seen, heard, read anything, is that this is Nemo related. Last time I checked Finding Dory is slated to be released in June 2016. I'm guessing their banking on that being a huge hit. Wouldn't it be nice if for once they could show some synergy and launch a movie and it's related ride at the same time? I know Epcot has the Sea's and all, but we all agree it's attrocious. Maybe they're starting to right the ship.
Cool idea.

novawildcat18

Completely BS. The only addition to the building that was made was for Midway Mania's maintenance facility, and that is on the side, not the back. The ride is contained entirely in the old soundstages.

Furthermore, I can confirm that this permit is for an additional track for Toy Story Mania. The current ride will be converted to FP+ Only.
The additional track will be the main, standby ride? That doesn't make much sense to me. Why wouldn't the current part be standby and the additional be FP+?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom