DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

doctornick

OK, so even if there is an additional track for TSMM planned, one think I don't get is what they would do with the rest of the building. They wouldn't need all of SS1 for one track of TSMM, but it would be pretty small for another ride to use the other half. Could they be planning 2 tracks?

Jeffxz

well lets make this moot... the bigwigs would not come from anaheim to look at a track expansion of a current ride... and really, how many times has staggs been seen out in the GeneralPop of WDW?

It doesn't make sense that they would be there to consider something that was already greenlit and permitted either. Seems like they might be there to make some decisions on what happens next after the 3rd track.

doctornick

It doesn't make sense that they would be there to consider something that was already greenlit and permitted either. Seems like they might be there to make some decisions on what happens next after the 3rd track.

Regardless of what is going to be built, the collection of bigwigs means (to me) that something significant is happening and will occur in the relatively near future. Maybe TSMM is simply getting more tracks in Soundstage 1, but that doesn't preclude other attractions from being built in now available space.

Lasseter and company aren't there looking at track layouts for a TSMM expansion.

RSoxNo1

Completely BS. The only addition to the building that was made was for Midway Mania's maintenance facility, and that is on the side, not the back. The ride is contained entirely in the old soundstages.

Furthermore, I can confirm that this permit is for an additional track for Toy Story Mania. The current ride will be converted to FP+ Only.
Do you mean the current two tracks will be FP+ only with the 3rd track being for Standby?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Completely BS. The only addition to the building that was made was for Midway Mania's maintenance facility, and that is on the side, not the back. The ride is contained entirely in the old soundstages.

Furthermore, I can confirm that this permit is for an additional track for Toy Story Mania. The current ride will be converted to FP+ Only.

I hate this idea.
But dammit....I trust your info.

Talk about taking the steam out of a lot of speculation on here.

Hopefully, SS1 is not the only area the execs were there to look at. I can't fathom that they would bring together that group to the parks just to look at a second track to an existing ride. Of course, they've been known to do a few unfathomable things around WDW lately.

I guess we can hope that other permits will follow soon for those mysterious other missing project numbers.

The Visionary Soul

On top of all of that, adding a third track would likely require a substantial shutdown of the existing ride. With the backlot tour and other things closing left and right, they won't take their most popular ride offline for any stretch of time... at least not anytime soon.
Not really, the new track will operate completely independently of the current ride, with its own separate loading station and maintenance facility. All that will need to be done is to put a hole in the wall of the current queue and re-route it so it goes by potato head and goes left instead of right.

flyerjab

Ummm........anything else that you might feel so inclined to confirm for us regarding DHS? ;)

raymusiccity

Track extension may be part of this, but it's not the entire thing. There has to be more Pixar content coming.

Only conjecture, but, why couldn't the entire brain trust be tapped for Star Wars? It would be an insult to John Lassiter if Disney felt his creative genius was only suited to 'Toy Story' concepts.

Why not Big Hero 6, or a Wall-E concept that would dove tail perfectly with Star Wars Land?

kap91

Just because the ball was set in motion back then - I don't give them any slack for failing to stand up and stop it - especially since they've had changes in leadership. Instead you have people more than willing to stick to the status quo... which to me is vulgar in a company that supposedly is innovative and creative focused.

The long drawn out refurbs which allow them to idle attractions? (Nemo Subs) The trimming of operating hours... It's the land of a 1000 cuts.. carefully orchestrated to avoid looking like a larger thing.

And yes, they have brought back some that were on the ropes (CoP) but just because you get 1 out of 5 right on a test.. you don't get an A - you still got an F.

The refurbs still lag behind because of the reduced upkeep INBETWEEN the refurbs. Again, doing something 1 out of 5 times doesn't get you credit for doing it. While the work being done seems massive, it's also because it's a massive piece to keep up to date. We see volume of activity - not coverage. And projects like NFL added how much attraction capacity to a park that was woefully behind? I've never been one of those "Disney doesn't do anything!" guys.. but I still believe they are far below the line in what is needed.

I'm sure they see it as important because someone probably made it a METRIC they track and are graded on. Instead of actually ensuring the end game... they play a game of watching the number and manipulating the number. Where are the survey takers after the @$%% hits the fan on a big night? Oh wait.. you'll find them out in mass when a new attraction is opened tho..

My company does it.. they supposedly tie everyone's compensation to a cust sat score of 1-5 they track within two decimial places. And its all complete and utter crap.

Ahh.. but you miss how they address this without needing customer loyalty. Expand your market. They invest in attracting the South Americans... they invest in bringing in the conventions.. the sports teams... Then you add in things like RunDisney, the ever expanding number of F&W variations, etc. THAT is how they address needing to increase guest counts without needing to move an individual customer from an 'ok visit to a wonderful visit'. It's diminishing returns to polish one customer... but if you can bring in 3 more for the same cost... you win!

They can't be as engaged and interested in customer satisfaction as you state and also be oblivious to situation in the park. It would have been in their face for ages. Let's be real.. just like DCA... the park was doing 'enough' to let it keep doing its thing.

Do we really believe American Idol was closed because of customer feedback? Or do we realize it was a show that included lots of high cost labor.. that wasn't pulling in the numbers... and for all we know could have been up for a licensing renewal they didn't want to take.

If TRUE customer sat was really up at the top of the list... they would have put a bullet in the head of so many things so long ago. But customer sat is now a METRIC - not a sentiment.

I won't argue that they could be doing so much more, only that they continue to get better. That's not to say great. But better and improving is better than not. Albeit an an almost glacial pace. I was also referring to the refurbishment of facades, which seems to happen constantly these days, even when they look great to begin with.

I don't think even the daftest of executives could look at DHS and think the park needed no treatment. But I also think that it takes long times for big changes to manifest, especially given the company were talking about. It's clear the people in charge have been wanting to do big things to DHS for a very long time, even years before the original Carsland rumors. If an executive one day woke up, I don't think it was recently. Rather if anything of scale should happen at DHS (which I firmly believe will, though if it's this project who knows) it’ll be because the situation finally allows for it. It's fiscally just not feasible (for a publicly traded company) for the company to focus on as many big projects as they need to simultaneously. Even if they could do things cheaper. DHS (as well as resort development as a whole thanks to MM+, and before that the recession) has just been on the short end of that deferment stick. WDW has a to do list a mile long and growing but really can only do at most 4 or 5 things on it at a time. And those things tend to take years.

I really do think that the time of slower development at WDW is coming to a gradual end, all the big infrastructure projects are coming to a close. Of course the real question is how good the new developments will be, I'm confident in Avatar being a knock your socks off addition, but less so with everything else on the table. I know Disney is capable of great things, but it is hit or miss, especially in Florida and has more to do with goals than capability or budget.

The Visionary Soul

Talk about taking the steam out of a lot of speculation on here.

Hopefully, SS1 is not the only area the execs were there to look at. I can't fathom that they would bring together that group to the parks just to look at a second track to an existing ride. Of course, they've been known to do a few unfathomable things around WDW lately.

I guess we can hope that other permits will follow soon for those mysterious other missing project numbers.
I'm sure you'll figure it out soon enough. Everyone is correct here who thinks there is more going on than just an expansion to Toy Story Mania. But to those that doubt that Toy Story Mania is being expanded to address capacity concerns... well, to you I will just say "I told ya so" when it happens.

The Visionary Soul

Only conjecture, but, why couldn't the entire brain trust be tapped for Star Wars? It would be an insult to John Lassiter if Disney felt his creative genius was only suited to 'Toy Story' concepts.

Why not Big Hero 6, or a Wall-E concept that would dove tail perfectly with Star Wars Land?
An insult? John Lasseter loves Toy Story! It's "his" movie! Won him a special achievement Oscar ya know.

PhotoDave219

So what was all the ironwork in 2007 for?

flyerjab

No, not that I feel so inclined to confirm.

Thanks though, for providing the info that you have. I have found you to be a very unheralded insider on this sight. I have been looking for posts from you ever since some of the posts you made regarding the changes coming to the hub, but you seem to have fell silent of late (at least on this part of the forum).

I always enjoy when you chime in as your information has proven reliable in the past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom