DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

spacemt354

Chili's
I was with you up until this. I think anyone suggesting that a new attraction would reduce the demand and wait time for TSMM is crazy. If a new family friendly ride opened at Soundstage 1, it's not like people will say "I don't need to ride TSMM now" -- they'd want to ride the new ride and TSMM. And if the new ride actually draws a greater number of people to the park, those new people will want to ride TSMM. And I personally know of a number of folks who have been to DHS -- even with young kids -- and not ridden TSMM due to the long wait and not having FPs; if the ride had a sudden decrease in wait time then that crowd of folks would actually get in line to ride it.

Sure, if there were a lot of new rides added to DHS, then you might see a decrease in wait time/demand for TSMM. But we are talking at least 5 new rides, probably more like 10. As long as the number of rides in DHS remains in single digits and TSMM is one of only ones without a height restrictions, the vast majority of guests entering the gates are going to want to ride it. A single additional ride in SS1 is not going to dent demand for TSMM and will potentially make it worse.

An additional family ride with no height restriction will reduce the wait time for TSMM. But I don't think it will make it 30 mins like out in DCA. It will take it down a notch though from the average 80-100 mins it is now.

The reason why TSMM is so crowded is because it's the only all kids ride in the whole park. An additional C or D-ticket family ride will take some of the heat away. If the area around Soundstage 1 is equipped with smaller additional kid friendly attractions, you could see it help out even more.

I can see it becoming much like RnRC and ToT. Two popular rides (if that's what's actually coming to SS1) with wait times 40-60 mins each.

kap91

So why would you spend money on expanding TSMM in a way that requires spending the majority of the cost of a new attraction?

It just doesn't pass the sniff test.

I know no one pays attention to the info I post since I don't post info often, but the TSMM expansion IS a real plan that was at least very close to getting done as of a few months ago because they were talking to outside contractors about it. AND the same goes for a new ride that was planning to be built. I've been talking about that for months now, but people seemed to think the possibility wasn't there. I think today's presence of the higher ups basically squashes that view. Nothing says that a new ride can't be built AND TSMM expanded. In fact that seems like a pretty darn smart move if true, cause as another poster said-one new ride is likely to do nothing but increase the TSMM wait times. Especially if it happens to be next door.

I've read everything from pure bluesky to track sections actually manufactured and on-site, waiting to be assembled. One rumor said it was a custom track by Vekoma, others said it was an "out of the box" wild mouse that was going to be indoors with cool theming. I think I have read more conjecture here and elsewhere about the MI Doors Coaster than any other single "not officially in production" ride at a Disney park - but there seems to be NO real evidence to back up any of it. Hopeful, but not holding my breath...

The monsters coaster was a very real thing, bidding had even gotten close or started on the project. Then the recession hit and it got shelved. It's very possible that's it's been resurrected, my source seemed to think so, but I'm skeptical on that point.

Mawg

what is absolutely mindboggling to me is.. how @marni1971 is in the parks so infrequently.. yet manages to be there at the time these guys all make the trip to FL?? :) Oh and @wdwmagic you have a typo on your photo credit on the page :)
Answer is obvious: Marni is actually Tom Staggs and Lee is a top exec in Public relations who took the picture.

Last edited:

Mawg

It's simple.. if you have 10k people.. two attractions will share the demand better than one. Even if people want to ride both attractions.

TSMM is an island in DHS in terms of its family friendly, anyone can ride, etc. That makes the demand for that attraction abnormally high. Introducing another attraction of the same approachability and desire will reduce the demand on TSMM by siphoning that audience to BOTH attractions instead of just one.

People only have so much time in the day... the more things they want to do, the less time they are willing to dedicate to a single thing. That reduces people's willingness to wait.. which will reduce lines. People spending time on another attractions is less time they have to dedicate to re-riding TSMM.. that will reduce demand.

You are looking at it only as a 'number of people in the park goes up.. so demand goes up' - you are failing to include the abnormal distribution TSMM has today and how that would be altered if another attraction attracted that same crowd.

If there is something else you want to do.. you won't re-ride TSMM (yes, people do it)
If there is something else you want to do.. your wait tolerance goes down
If there is something else people are doing... that is less people free 'right now' to enter a line

The addition of other things to do will diffuse and de-focus the singular focus on TSMM you highlight.

I would agree with you if HS was a full day park, but since it is not the only thing one more attraction does is make people want to stay another hour but still ride everything. TSMM lines will not get shorter until there are many more attractions for the whole family built. But, I would still rather see a new attraction than an expansion of a current. I just don't think the lines at TSMM are going to get any shorter for a very long time.

kap91

You and I are 100% in agreement. The main reason TSMM is so ungodly popular is because there's such a huge lack of family rides at DHS.

I was just trying to save you the heartache of an endless argument. There are a couple of people who will argue expanding TSMM is the perfect thing needed.
You forgot to add that it's insanely hyped by every website and tour giuide and also really fun (to most people) too.

Seriously, I get this logic, but it's too simplistic. TSMM at CA still routinely gets hour long waits, and that's minus fastpass plus a whole heck of a lot more big rides to manage the load.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know no one pays attention to the info I post since I don't post info often, but the TSMM expansion IS a real plan that was at least very close to getting done as of a few months ago because they were talking to outside contractors about it.

I didn't see that other thread (just searched for your earlier posts) so it's not for your lack of posting ;)

I just don't see how they do that.. the savings just don't seem to be there, and given the numbers driven organization that the parks have become.. it just doesn't add up to me. I'll be more than happy to say I was wrong... but for them to go that direction would be jaw dropping shocking to me.

The Visionary Soul

Well the soundstage that TSMM is built out of, has a giant building attached to the back. The queue in is what encompasses the former soundstage. Everything else is another building.
Completely BS. The only addition to the building that was made was for Midway Mania's maintenance facility, and that is on the side, not the back. The ride is contained entirely in the old soundstages.

Furthermore, I can confirm that this permit is for an additional track for Toy Story Mania. The current ride will be converted to FP+ Only.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seriously, I get this logic, but it's too simplistic. TSMM at CA still routinely gets hour long waits, and that's minus fastpass plus a whole heck of a lot more big rides to manage the load.

30-45min waits when an average attraction can be 20mins... (which is pretty common for TSMM vs other stuff in DCA) is a world of difference than 120min waits compared to the rest of DHS's wait times.

TSMM wait times (as a function of TP's 1-10 scale)
chart

Yes, there are more differences (FP for instance) - but the fact TSMM is located within 10min walking distance of 60+ other attractions is a huge factor compared to DHS where it sits on an island... a 30min bus ride away from the MK and other diversions that fit it's demographic as well.

doctornick

It's simple.. if you have 10k people.. two attractions will share the demand better than one. Even if people want to ride both attractions.

TSMM is an island in DHS in terms of its family friendly, anyone can ride, etc. That makes the demand for that attraction abnormally high. Introducing another attraction of the same approachability and desire will reduce the demand on TSMM by siphoning that audience to BOTH attractions instead of just one.

People only have so much time in the day... the more things they want to do, the less time they are willing to dedicate to a single thing. That reduces people's willingness to wait.. which will reduce lines. People spending time on another attractions is less time they have to dedicate to re-riding TSMM.. that will reduce demand.

You are looking at it only as a 'number of people in the park goes up.. so demand goes up' - you are failing to include the abnormal distribution TSMM has today and how that would be altered if another attraction attracted that same crowd.

If there is something else you want to do.. you won't re-ride TSMM (yes, people do it)
If there is something else you want to do.. your wait tolerance goes down
If there is something else people are doing... that is less people free 'right now' to enter a line

The addition of other things to do will diffuse and de-focus the singular focus on TSMM you highlight.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree. A single additional family friendly ride at DHS is not going to impact wait times at TSMM at all. There will still be a marked lack of attractions that at family friendly at the park. One ride is not going to change guest's desire to ride TSMM because even after they ride the Monsters Inc ride (or whatever it is), they'll still want to ride TSMM. Yeah, there's limited time in a day, but it's not so limited to not allow for people to do both rides

I'm not disagreeing with the principle that more family friendly rides will decrease demand for TSMM. But it will take far more than 1 such ride. You don't hit the "well, we've done enough so it's not worth waiting" attitude with just 6 rides in a park. People will want to fill their day; if they weren't doing it with the DHS offerings before, 1 ride alone won't be doing it either (especially with the BLT closed, which removed one of the "rides" that kids could do).

My point is simple that anyone who was willing to wait x minutes to ride TSMM before will still do so. They would just do that and go on the new ride. Put 5 new rides in that all ages can do and now we are talking about a real reduction in demand for TSMM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom