DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

mahnamahna101

Well if we're getting a Pixar Place expansion, I'd say there's a few priorities:
  1. Another all-ages dark ride (with room for another later on) - Monsters, Inc the most likely (close Laugh Floor if this happens)
  2. Renovation of the HITSK play area into something Pixar. Theme it to Bug's Life and put a flat or two in there (balloon race and revamped bumper cars). You could also do Up or even Good Dinosaur.
  3. An actual E-ticket: TSMM is a C-ticket, give The Incredibles a state of the art E ticket for the more adventurous Pixar fans.
  4. Some kind of show to eat crowds - retheming LMA to Cars 2 might work

RSoxNo1

Tom Fitzgerald. Imagineer.

And with Skipper John there...I really doubt it'll be more of the same (TSMM).
While I've been among those suggesting it will be a 3rd track, I do hope I'm wrong and that it will be an entirely new attraction. If it's a clone, I could see them using the same ride system for Ride and Go Seek.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I kind of thought so. Which makes it interesting to me that Fitzgerald would be part of a crew touring DHS since isn't he in charge of WDI for Epcot specifically? Isn't there a creative chief equivalent to Fitz for DHS already?

Unsure.. but Fitz would still be the big senior guy down in the swamps so when the big boys come to town I would expect him to be involved even if not his main responsibility.

All this talk about the Door Coaster is just wishful thinking IMO. The topic hasn't gotten off the ground so many times... there is probably good reason why. The Rat ride makes the most sense to me.. it's a clone.. it probably wouldn't require significant site reconfiguration like a coaster would.. it was built fast in DLP... (under 16 months from announcement)... it's a family ride.. and if they had planned ahead a lot of the construction techniques/materials may be readily available.

What I don't know is how much space the current rat ride uses... and how that compares to the SS1 area... which isn't that big.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Except you don't have to worry about the queue, the Mr. Potato animatronic or the ADA compliance on the new track. To me, it looks like the simplest solution is to just build a 3rd track in Soundstage 1.

You're talking about incremental savings vs the majority of the expense. It's like buying another house because you need more closet space but you bought the house because the builder is offering a free kitchen upgrade promotion..

Nevermind the R&D to redo the ride system because you'd not be duplicating the old, but taking a derivative.

I'm sorry, none of this makes any practical sense. Not from a dollar perspective.. not from a marketing perspective... not from a construction perspective. It only makes sense for someone who wishes there were shorter lines.

A park exec would know that expanding TSMM would not bring in new demand... but opening another new attraction would.. and in doing so ALSO help TSMM lines. So why would you spend money on expanding TSMM in a way that requires spending the majority of the cost of a new attraction?

It just doesn't pass the sniff test.

RSoxNo1

I don't think it will be Ratatouille, let's face it they'll some day put this in WS in the France pavilion. And, they'll probably put the monsters inc coaster between two countries in WS so that you enter from one country end up in monstropolis and leave through another country. This way they can still close DHS completely.
The strongest rumors I've heard about Ratatouille have it going to DHS (potentially with a restaurant), however it does sound like there is a 5 year exclusivity agreement in place in Paris.

Brian Swan

Never thought I'd be excited for a potential clone but Crush Coaster, Ratatouille Adventure or any Monsters duplicate would work wonders in that spot. Are there known blueprints for the fabled Monsters coaster or is that just bluesky fiction?
I've read everything from pure bluesky to track sections actually manufactured and on-site, waiting to be assembled. One rumor said it was a custom track by Vekoma, others said it was an "out of the box" wild mouse that was going to be indoors with cool theming. I think I have read more conjecture here and elsewhere about the MI Doors Coaster than any other single "not officially in production" ride at a Disney park - but there seems to be NO real evidence to back up any of it. Hopeful, but not holding my breath...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Unsure.. but Fitz would still be the big senior guy down in the swamps so when the big boys come to town I would expect him to be involved even if not his main responsibility.

All this talk about the Door Coaster is just wishful thinking IMO. The topic hasn't gotten off the ground so many times... there is probably good reason why. The Rat ride makes the most sense to me.. it's a clone.. it probably wouldn't require significant site reconfiguration like a coaster would.. it was built fast in DLP... (under 16 months from announcement)... it's a family ride.. and if they had planned ahead a lot of the construction techniques/materials may be readily available.

What I don't know is how much space the current rat ride uses... and how that compares to the SS1 area... which isn't that big.

Rat appears to be a pretty large building.

doctornick

A park exec would know that expanding TSMM would not bring in new demand... but opening another new attraction would.. and in doing so ALSO help TSMM lines. So why would you spend money on expanding TSMM in a way that requires spending the majority of the cost of a new attraction?

I was with you up until this. I think anyone suggesting that a new attraction would reduce the demand and wait time for TSMM is crazy. If a new family friendly ride opened at Soundstage 1, it's not like people will say "I don't need to ride TSMM now" -- they'd want to ride the new ride and TSMM. And if the new ride actually draws a greater number of people to the park, those new people will want to ride TSMM. And I personally know of a number of folks who have been to DHS -- even with young kids -- and not ridden TSMM due to the long wait and not having FPs; if the ride had a sudden decrease in wait time then that crowd of folks would actually get in line to ride it.

Sure, if there were a lot of new rides added to DHS, then you might see a decrease in wait time/demand for TSMM. But we are talking at least 5 new rides, probably more like 10. As long as the number of rides in DHS remains in single digits and TSMM is one of only ones without a height restrictions, the vast majority of guests entering the gates are going to want to ride it. A single additional ride in SS1 is not going to dent demand for TSMM and will potentially make it worse.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was with you up until this. I think anyone suggesting that a new attraction would reduce the demand and wait time for TSMM is crazy. If a new family friendly ride opened at Soundstage 1, it's not like people will say "I don't need to ride TSMM now" -- they'd want to ride the new ride and TSMM. And if the new ride actually draws a greater number of people to the park, those new people will want to ride TSMM.

It's simple.. if you have 10k people.. two attractions will share the demand better than one. Even if people want to ride both attractions.

TSMM is an island in DHS in terms of its family friendly, anyone can ride, etc. That makes the demand for that attraction abnormally high. Introducing another attraction of the same approachability and desire will reduce the demand on TSMM by siphoning that audience to BOTH attractions instead of just one.

People only have so much time in the day... the more things they want to do, the less time they are willing to dedicate to a single thing. That reduces people's willingness to wait.. which will reduce lines. People spending time on another attractions is less time they have to dedicate to re-riding TSMM.. that will reduce demand.

You are looking at it only as a 'number of people in the park goes up.. so demand goes up' - you are failing to include the abnormal distribution TSMM has today and how that would be altered if another attraction attracted that same crowd.

Sure, if there were a lot of new rides added to DHS, then you might see a decrease in wait time/demand for TSMM. But we are talking at least 5 new rides, probably more like 10. As long as the number of rides in DHS remains in single digits and TSMM is one of only ones without a height restrictions, the vast majority of guests entering the gates are going to want to ride it. A single additional ride in SS1 is not going to dent demand for TSMM and will potentially make it worse.

If there is something else you want to do.. you won't re-ride TSMM (yes, people do it)
If there is something else you want to do.. your wait tolerance goes down
If there is something else people are doing... that is less people free 'right now' to enter a line

The addition of other things to do will diffuse and de-focus the singular focus on TSMM you highlight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom