Frozen at Disney's Hollywood Studios for the summer?

RSoxNo1

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Ya'know what would help alleviate long lines at TSMM? A new freaking ride!!!

Just adding a third track to TSMM is lazy beyond words.
No, the park could benefit from both. It is a popular, family friendly attraction in a park that gets 10 million guests a year. It is also among the biggest Fastpass+ problems (in all fairness, it was a Fastpass problem as well). At this point in time, it's reasonable to say that on many days there are people that want to ride Toy Story Mania, but don't. That problem is unlikely going away as that park evolves with additional attractions.

Consider Soarin' and Toy Story Mania expansion on the same plane as the Magic Kingdom hub expansion. These are unfortunately necessary because the original attractions weren't built with sufficient capacity. They are things that will help guest satisfaction surveys short term and long term.

GiveMeTheMusic

No, the park could benefit from both. It is a popular, family friendly attraction in a park that gets 10 million guests a year. It is also among the biggest Fastpass+ problems (in all fairness, it was a Fastpass problem as well). At this point in time, it's reasonable to say that on many days there are people that want to ride Toy Story Mania, but don't. That problem is unlikely going away as that park evolves with additional attractions.

Consider Soarin' and Toy Story Mania expansion on the same plane as the Magic Kingdom hub expansion. These are unfortunately necessary because the original attractions weren't built with sufficient capacity. They are things that will help guest satisfaction surveys short term and long term.

I disagree. Soarin' and TSMM are only at their level of popularity at WDW because there's nothing else in those parks that acts as a significant family draw. Both attractions function completely normally at DCA, where they're part of a healthy attraction roster that offers several attractions for all ages. DHS and Epcot are both woefully underbuilt when it comes to attractions. If DHS and Epcot each offered a slate comparable to DCA's, the Soarin'/TSMM problem would be solved overnight.

But instead of actually FIXING the problem, TDO misses the point entirely. If they were also building new attractions, I wouldn't bat an eye, but they're not - they're doing this in place of new attractions. I mean God only knows when DHS will actually get something new - at this rate, 2019 or 2020.

It just exposes the fundamental lack of theme park knowledge at TDO. They don't know how theme parks work, they don't know how theme parks are supposed to work and most importantly, they don't care.

Ignohippo

Ummm. Did you even read my post?

What's needed at DHS is more family-friendly rides. That's the reason TSMM is always jammed with long wait times. It's a good ride, but nothing that deserves the long lines it gets except for the fact that it's a ride that serves a demographic that's desperately underserved at that park.

So, you could add a third track to TSMM (adding, what? 500 people capacity?), or you could create a new attraction (MI?) that appeals to the same audience, takes 1,500 people per hour, alleviates congestion away from TSMM and actually gives guests something else to do.

DHS desperately needs more rides. Adding a new track to TSMM does nothing to help that and takes up valuable real estate that could be used for a new attraction.

The hub expansion is totally different. The hub is for safety and crowd congestion. Expanding the hub is the ONLY solution to the MK's overcrowding during parades and fireworks.

Adding a new track to TSMM costs a fraction of what a new ride does. So, they're going cheap and lazy. I'm not quite sure how you can defend that.

RSoxNo1

I disagree. Soarin' and TSMM are only at their level of popularity at WDW because there's nothing else in those parks that acts as a significant family draw. Both attractions function completely normally at DCA, where they're part of a healthy attraction roster that offers several attractions for all ages. DHS and Epcot are both woefully underbuilt when it comes to attractions. If DHS and Epcot each offered a slate comparable to DCA's, the Soarin'/TSMM problem would be solved overnight.

But instead of actually FIXING the problem, TDO misses the point entirely. If they were also building new attractions, I wouldn't bat an eye, but they're not - they're doing this in place of new attractions. I mean God only knows when DHS will actually get something new - at this rate, 2019 or 2020.

It just exposes the fundamental lack of theme park knowledge at TDO. They don't know how theme parks work, they don't know how theme parks are supposed to work and most importantly, they don't care.
DCA has a better attraction lineup as you said. It also draws less people. But look at Toy Story over there. It regularly has 45 minute waits without Fastpass. It is the longest wait for a non-Fastpass ride on a daily basis. Soarin' is expected to increase in popularity in the coming years as well with the introduction of the new film. There are no additions expected to open in either park in 2015. Maelstrom's redo may come by the end of 2015 but that wouldn't be an addition. These are changes that would take place prior to major additions with the expectation of additional attendance growth.

In order for either Epcot or DHS to have DCA's attraction lineup alone would take 20 years of expansion at the current pace. You also have to factor in the huge significance of Disneyland being right next door to DCA.

peter11435

Ummm. Did you even read my post?

What's needed at DHS is more family-friendly rides. That's the reason TSMM is always jammed with long wait times. It's a good ride, but nothing that deserves the long lines it gets except for the fact that it's a ride that serves a demographic that's desperately underserved at that park.

So, you could add a third track to TSMM (adding, what? 500 people capacity?), or you could create a new attraction (MI?) that appeals to the same audience, takes 1,500 people per hour, alleviates congestion away from TSMM and actually gives guests something else to do.

DHS desperately needs more rides. Adding a new track to TSMM does nothing to help that and takes up valuable real estate that could be used for a new attraction.

The hub expansion is totally different. The hub is for safety and crowd congestion. Expanding the hub is the ONLY solution to the MK's overcrowding during parades and fireworks.

Adding a new track to TSMM costs a fraction of what a new ride does. So, they're going cheap and lazy. I'm not quite sure how you can defend that.

But people would still want to ride toy story mania. The attraction simply does not have enough capacity to meet demand. A new attraction would give guests something else to do but they would still want to ride TSMM.

The difference in DCA is not that there are more attractions to experience. It is the (much) higher percentage if repeat guests who are less (not) interested in experiencing every attraction.

SJN1279

Toy Story could easily add a new track and new sequences to go along with it. It is a great ride that I skip often because of long waits. I'm all for increased capacity and maybe new sequences(possibly random) to go along with it.

Kitty17794

anyone heard yet if the fireworks at DHS will remain into October and/or beyond?

I don't believe they are. From what I understand, the Sing Along will be the only thing to remain for the time being after the 28th. I think pieces of the parade are heading back to MK for Once Upon A Christmastime. (IE: Frozen is being included in the parade.) Elsa is also supposedly doing the Castle Lighting. So most of the Frozen presence is returning to MK for Christmas, save the sing along.

ABQ

Elsa is also supposedly doing the Castle Lighting. So most of the Frozen presence is returning to MK for Christmas, save the sing along.
Is there at all any truth to Elsa doing the Castle lighting? I know a few tongue in cheek heavy eye roll posts were made here about it, but I don't recall any insider corroboration at all.

GiveMeTheMusic

Is there at all any truth to Elsa doing the Castle lighting? I know a few tongue in cheek heavy eye roll posts were made here about it, but I don't recall any insider corroboration at all.

I think it's a foregone conclusion at this point, but I've heard it mentioned. Can't confirm it though.

Ignohippo

But people would still want to ride toy story mania. The attraction simply does not have enough capacity to meet demand. A new attraction would give guests something else to do but they would still want to ride TSMM.

The difference in DCA is not that there are more attractions to experience. It is the (much) higher percentage if repeat guests who are less (not) interested in experiencing every attraction.

Absolutely. No one is saying TSMM wouldn't remain popular.

However, if you take 25% of the people waiting for TSMM and spread them out to another attraction, you're doing exactly what adding a third track would do AND you're giving the park a much needed new family attraction.

So what? We're going to have a Pixar Place with one attraction? Lame.

RSoxNo1

Absolutely. No one is saying TSMM wouldn't remain popular.

However, if you take 25% of the people waiting for TSMM and spread them out to another attraction, you're doing exactly what adding a third track would do AND you're giving the park a much needed new family attraction.

So what? We're going to have a Pixar Place with one attraction? Lame.
Adding more attractions to a park that is sparse on attractions doesn't cause guests to skip rides, it causes guests to stay longer in the park.

peter11435

However, if you take 25% of the people waiting for TSMM and spread them out to another attraction, you're doing exactly what adding a third track would do.
Except that's not what would happen. There would still be the same number of people waiting for toy story mania. In fact, possibly even more due to increased park attendance driven by the new attractions.

CDavid

Not every Hollywood Studios guest wants to experience every attraction either, but they don't have much else to choose from. That's the problem. The difference at DCA lies not in repeat guests, but in having a multitude and variety of (mostly) quality experiences to distribute crowds. The Studios park arguably lacks both.

Adding more attractions to a park that is sparse on attractions doesn't cause guests to skip rides, it causes guests to stay longer in the park.

Wait, I thought guests staying longer in the park (and hopefully spending more money) was a good thing, at least from Disney's perspective. In a sense, Midway Mania (TSMM) does not actually have the capacity problem. Rather, the rest of the park is literally missing the capacity to draw people away from TSMM, simply for lack of other things to do.

There would still be the same number of people waiting for toy story mania.

You cannot just arbitrarily make that assumption. Nor can we simply assume that increased capacity will substantially reduce wait times (potentially, shorter lines could produce increased demand).

People are on many different agendas when touring the park. A second attraction, roughly equal in popularity to Midway Mania and with similar wait times, may well lead to some guests choosing one ride over the other. Most guests pick-and-choose attractions to some extent anyway. With a sufficient number of varied experiences, people just don't have time for everything - which leads us back to the real problem, and the proper solution, that the park simply needs more to do.

Many years ago, the Contemporary Resort was essentially booked solid year round. Not everyone who wanted to stay in the resort could be accommodated. But the solution was not to build a second (or third) Contemporary; Instead they built Caribbean Beach, The Grand Floridian, and all the others. Suddenly, the Contemporary wasn't booked up anymore, and you could often get rooms the day of arrival.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom