Toy Story and Soarin Rumors

RSoxN1, if you have reviewed my past post, you'll notice where the above image first came from. (Though without the colors) You will also see that I don't speak often to projects without making sure the information I am giving is accurate at the time.

Folks are always welcome to be skeptical, so much is said that is just wishing or "talk" that never goes beyond just that.

As for who I am or my sources, I'll just let my past speak for itself. Sorry, but the few here who do know me personally understand why.

As for it being done, It might not be a new attraction as many on the boards would like but the need is there for the average guest. I personally would love a new attraction (give it time folks, they are coming) but TSM could use the 3rd track.

As for design, the set up is to have the 3rd track as the FP+ queue, with it's own load/unload. (The load/unload information is still a little vague for me. Just being honest)
I can confirm this is true... Half of soundstage 1 will become a TSMM 3rd fastpass+ track.... Plus I can also hint at a very near closing of Indiana Jones, backlot express, echo lake and tear down of AIE theater.... I cannot however confirm what's going here I can only tell you they'll be closing in the near future.

msteel

I can confirm this is true... Half of soundstage 1 will become a TSMM 3rd fastpass+ track.... Plus I can also hint at a very near closing of Indiana Jones, backlot express, echo lake and tear down of AIE theater.... I cannot however confirm what's going here I can only tell you they'll be closing in the near future.

If the new track is going to be Fastpass, then will both the existing tracks be standby? That doesn't seem right to me. And if there is going to be Fastpass on both sides, how are they going to route a single Fastpass return location to both sides of the Standby queue?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Does that mean that our assumption that the Frozen sing-along will move into the Superstar Theater is wrong?

If the new track is going to be Fastpass, then will both the existing tracks be standby? That doesn't seem right to me. And if there is going to be Fastpass on both sides, how are they going to route a single Fastpass return location to both sides of the Standby queue?
The current 2 tracks will be standby only and the new track will be fastpass only.
Does that mean that our assumption that the Frozen sing-along will move into the Superstar Theater is wrong?
I can't confirm any of that but from what ive heard if frozen summer fun DOESNT get extended then the sing a long will move into the Superstar Theater until September 28 and demolition will follow shortly after.... Also for the SODL fans... Because the demolition/construction does not include streets of America SODL will continue until Disney decides to cancel it which I have no idea why the would with the crowd it draws.

Where does the disabled load fit into that scheme?
That is a good question I haven't been told anything as for that.... I would assume they would send the disabled person up the exit ramp of the standby side and standby by disabled people would use the current set up. Note that's just what I assume I haven't been told anything as for that.

dstrawn9889

are they still running them up the exit? i thought that they had done away with that and the queue was large enough to turn in an ECV...

are they still running them up the exit? i thought that they had done away with that and the queue was large enough to turn in an ECV...
No I was saying that May be what they do once the 3rd track is added.... The current set up makes the disabled people go through the fastpass or standby line then at the merge point they send the disabled party up a ramp to a separate loading area specifically for people in wheelchairs/ECVs rather than up the stairs to the normal loading area

hazelrah

I have no knowledge one way or the other if these "capacity expansion" rumors are true, but if they are, it seems like a very strange way to go about things.

If they want to lessen the load on TSMM and Soarin', they could just as easily build a new attraction that everyone wants to see. It can't really cost much more than an entire new Soarin' theater or TSMM track.

peter11435

If they want to lessen the load on TSMM and Soarin', they could just as easily build a new attraction that everyone wants to see. It can't really cost much more than an entire new Soarin' theater or TSMM track.

Except a new ride would not suddenly make people no longer want to ride those attractions. They would just want to ride both.

CDavid

I have no knowledge one way or the other if these "capacity expansion" rumors are true, but if they are, it seems like a very strange way to go about things.

Except a new ride would not suddenly make people no longer want to ride those attractions. They would just want to ride both.

Nevertheless, @hazelrah is correct. The proper way to go about reducing demand on TSMM or other popular attractions is through additional new rides, and not by added capacity to existing ones (which may, in fact, not reduce lines or wait times anyway). You spread crowds out by giving people a variety of things to see and do, so that one attraction is not swamped, like TSMM - being located in a park with too few attractions. If there were another several attractions at the Studios, people would still want to ride both TSMM and the new additions, but there would be no capacity problem even without the proposed expansion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Expanding an existing ride is faster and cheaper then designing and building something new. It's also very low risk since you know the ride system works, and you know it's already popular. Classic low-risk management decision. Not saying I like it, but I understand why they would choose to do it.

Macca250

I anticipate I'll be doing a lot of cringing when the Parks Blog try and dress up the additional track. "Imagineers provide magical insight into replicating the same ride 6 years on..... With the additional track guests will be able to score more points than ever and re-ride to infinity and beyond!!!" .... Plus with the added capacity - "Toy Story dining package announced! EAT WHILE YOU RIDE!"

peter11435

If there were another several attractions at the Studios, people would still want to ride both TSMM and the new additions, but there would be no capacity problem even without the proposed expansion.

This is simply not true. The only way this would be the case is if a significant number of guests were riding TSMM multiple times because they had nothing else to do. Since that is not the case, demand for TSMM would not be reduced by the addition of additional attractions. The same number of guests who want to experience TSMM today would still want to experience the attraction then. In fact there would probably be more guests wishing to ride TSMM due to increased attendance driven by the new attractions.

The number of guests who visit the studios on average is greater than the daily capacity of the attraction. More importantly the percentage of studios guests wishing to ride exceeds the capacity of the attraction.

I'm not saying they should not build new attractions. They absolutely should. But they also need to increase capacity where needed.

CDavid

This is simply not true. The only way this would be the case is if a significant number of guests were riding TSMM multiple times because they had nothing else to do. Since that is not the case, demand for TSMM would not be reduced by the addition of additional attractions. The same number of guests who want to experience TSMM today would still want to experience the attraction then. In fact there would probably be more guests wishing to ride TSMM due to increased attendance driven by the new attractions.

The number of guests who visit the studios on average is greater than the daily capacity of the attraction. More importantly the percentage of studios guests wishing to ride exceeds the capacity of the attraction.

I'm not saying they should not build new attractions. They absolutely should. But they also need to increase capacity where needed.

Demand for Toy Story Midway Mania would indeed be reduced by the addition of new attractions. Not everyone in the park rides every attraction or sees every show. In fact, they literally can't. Few, if any, attractions have a daily capacity large enough to accommodate all the guests in the park that day, but that works perfectly well so long as people have a large enough selection of attractions to choose from. Visitors are only going to experience so many rides/shows a day (is the WDW average something like 7 or 8??? Not sure.); If the TSMM queue is excessive, many will gladly choose something else. The problem right now is there isn't much else to choose from, most (or all) of which they're probably already doing that day.

Disneyfanman

I still think it's a smart play (expanding capacity). Those crazy waits can do nothing but upset guests in line. If all these other rumors are true then they ARE going to add new attractions as well. So we get both. My only beef is that TDO has really coasted for awhile (not adding E-tickets) in Orlando. It does feel like we are about to get some new toys tho.

peter11435

Demand for Toy Story Midway Mania would indeed be reduced by the addition of new attractions.

No. It wouldn't. People would still want to ride the attraction. And even if some choose not to ride it would not make enough of a difference to be noticeable. The majority of guests when visiting the park would still want and expect to ride TSMM. And as would be the goal of any additional attraction there would be more guests in the park. Therefore increasing demand.

Not everyone in the park rides every attraction or sees every show. In fact, they literally can't. Few, if any, attractions have a daily capacity large enough to accommodate all the guests in the park that day, but that works perfectly well so long as people have a large enough selection of attractions to choose from.

I realize that. Which is why I said that the most important thing was that the percentage of guests wanting to ride is greater than it's capacity. Not simply the number of guests in the park. Almost no attraction at WDW could physically carry 100% of the guests in the park. But few have such a high percentage demanding to ride combined with a relatively low capacity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom