The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

articos

What Orlando envisioned to be is what Atlanta has become in television and film production. The industry in Georgia has exploded with countless movie studios, production facilities, and so-forth. Pinewood opened their second U.S. studios (the other being L.A.) recently, Tyler Perry's empire is growing so much that he's in talks to buy a former Army base and convert it into a mega studios, Screen Gems is constantly busy with work south of the city. It goes on and on. The amount of series on the air and films that have and are being produced in the metro area are simply staggering. There was already a rock solid foundation of talent with all the production at the Turner properties, but a 30% sales tax rebate incentive exploded the industry and outside of NY & LA, it's the biggest production area in the United States. And you're completely right about Louisiana as it has in many ways shifted work from the Wilmington, NC area to Louisiana.

Pinewood only has the Georgia site. I didn't realize they were open - that was a ridiculously fast build. L.A. is only a small sales office for the UK/International studio facilities, located on the Sony lot. Georgia is a big production location because of the incentive. Without that, not as much production, which is exactly what's about to happen in Louisiana once this current production boom is over.

And taken location for location, Universal's facilities is still better than anything offered in Atlanta, even. It's all about the dollars.

PhotoDave219

Sadly, I think you're right.

Universal will not be able to out-draw Disney.

They will, however, spend a ton of money during a day at another company's park.

The more Universal improves, the more of a dent that they will but it market share.

Every gimmick known to man will not be able to keep guests from going up the street for a day or two. Thats what the kids want.

PrincessNelly_NJ

They had their chance when they were designing a Hogwarts attraction.
They could have but it wouldn't have been as good.
Uni pretty much caters mostly to thrill seekers... and it would have been pretty disappointing to travel all the way to Orlando for a "Haunted Mansion" type ride. It just isn't their style.
KK will be a ride that everyone can enjoy though.

wogwog

IMG_0609_zps3f5535d0.jpg

Does this not scream deluxe to you?
The iHome Ipod dock... easily worth an additional $120 per night alone!:rolleyes:
The real shame is as a Florida resident I can get a DCL cabin for so much less per day with food and entertainment included. I do multiple DCL and RC cruises a year and maybe one visit to WDW. Sad the
difference. DCL can deliver. WDW no longer does. I am minutes from WDW and visited Disneyland and DCA twice last year and WDW once, only to accompany visiting family.

PhotoDave219

I'm curious, I saw a few reports of people praising the cast that they interacted with. Some saying that the cast really played up their parts. Do you think it is possible you had bad luck or are we talking all of UNI not just DA?

I'll agree, SOME of the cast did. Some of the cast was ill prepared for yesterday. Some of the cast just didnt know basic guest service.

mahnamahna101

They had their chance when they were designing a Hogwarts attraction.
Oh yes, because a Omnimover would work JUST perfect with a Whomping Willow, Dementors, Quidditch match, etc? ;)

FJ is a groundbreaking attraction that uses a brand-new ride system to tell a story that wouldn't be possible with a standard track dark ride. And just because it makes you sick... it's obvious the majority of people driving Universal attendance don't mind one bit.

The only way to accurately bring HP to life is through an E-ticket thrill ride. It's too fast-paced of a story to be a family dark ride, for the most part. Whereas Disney would give you a MAGICAL "Toy Story Midway Mania"-style attraction (that's legitimately what Disney had planned for Potter - along with a shop of course!!), Universal brought the books to life.

HP isn't really a little kid's franchise anyways... but the Ford Anglia and the Weasley Bros' shop are both asking for family dark rides if you ask me.

PrincessNelly_NJ

The real shame is as a Florida resident I can get a DCL cabin for so much less per day with food and entertainment included. I do multiple DCL and RC cruises a year and maybe one visit to WDW. Sad the
difference. DCL can deliver. WDW no longer does. I am minutes from WDW and visited Disneyland and DCA twice last year and WDW once, only to accompany visiting family.
I probably would do the same thing...
Change out those headboards and a room at the GF looks almost exactly like a room at the Hampton Inn. I'm curious, if Disney offered no discounts on these rooms... would people still pay?

ABQ

Universal will not be able to out-draw Disney.

They will, however, spend a ton of money during a day at another company's park.

The more Universal improves, the more of a dent that they will but it market share.

Every gimmick known to man will not be able to keep guests from going up the street for a day or two. Thats what the kids want.
I think everyone hopes you're spot on with this assessment, as that will equate to dollars lost and revenue alone is all that will coax TWDC into being serious about its parks, and not just its hotels, again.

Astro Blaster

The Spirit knows all. ... And then some ...
Ah, so you were referring to me. Just a simple guy from NJ watching a Brigante video, eh?

While I inadvertently ignited a spoiler firestorm once by posting the press release regarding the cast for episode 7 (and learned a possible new definition of spoiler in the process!) I won't spoil anything about DA.

I wish I could see it for myself soon but I won't be in Orlando until November, and *gasp* I may not have time to make it to UNI. As a fan of Harry Potter, it makes me glad that they did the thing right. Despite the fact that the books and original movies are done, the spinoff movies are coming soon and the theme park areas are kicking . HP fandom is NOT going away.

SJN1279

Oh yes, because a Omnimover would work JUST perfect with a Whomping Willow, Dementors, Quidditch match, etc? ;)

FJ is a groundbreaking attraction that uses a brand-new ride system to tell a story that wouldn't be possible with a standard track dark ride. And just because it makes you sick... it's obvious the majority of people driving Universal attendance don't mind one bit.

The only way to accurately bring HP to life is through an E-ticket thrill ride. It's too fast-paced of a story to be a family dark ride, for the most part. Whereas Disney would give you a MAGICAL "Toy Story Midway Mania"-style attraction (that's legitimately what Disney had planned for Potter - along with a shop of course!!), Universal brought the books to life.

HP isn't really a little kid's franchise anyways... but the Ford Anglia and the Weasley Bros' shop are both asking for family dark rides if you ask me.

They should have created a Haunted Mansion style dark ride where guests use wands to make things happen. A Hogwart's open house for Muggles where we get to explore the castle and learn how to do spells. It would have been an epic ride that the whole family could have enjoyed together(which was the point of the Potter books and movies in the first place).

They could have also built Forbidden Journey as a ride where we are students in Hagrid's Care of Magic Creatures class, something goes wrong, and off we go through the Forbidden Forrest.

2 rides for two different audiences that would have satisfied everyone.

Cesar R M

So, Disney isn't afraid of UNI taking business away, right? Just in from a kind friend in Burbank, but look at Fallon's set now and look at clips of it from Monday. You'll notice some significant changes that were the result of TWDC threatening via Zenia and legal to go to the government and file a complaint because of what was perceived by Disney as constant advertising for free (even if they are the same company, no money was exchanged, no ad time bought). So suddenly the UNI globe disappeared and the UNI arch was made tougher to make out/blurred and Fallon was moved into a blocking position in front of it.

Yes, Disney is that petty. Really. Mindblowingly petty. ...

Is there any video or photos to show the comparison of before and after the censoring?

with regards to your saying that Gringotts has some issues..

do you expect it to be fully operational july 8th?
Wasnt gringott's main problem the noise?

PrincessNelly_NJ

I would just love to see Disney do anything different! I don't feel immersed in the "lands" anymore at Disney. Animal Kingdom does an excellent job of transporting you elsewhere but outside of that... Disney hasn't delivered imo.
I know they like to cater to families and children but come one! Give us at least one true thrill ride.
I can't tell you how many times I have rolled my eyes watching that Disney World Documentary and the imagineers are talking about people wanting thrill rides and then promptly show Test Track & Mission Space o_O:banghead:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Universal has taken the Disney RFID from the lunch rush at Be Our Guest and applied it to the Leaky Cauldron. I was sitting down and asked my handler "Is this RFID or something" and half the creative team, eating in the corner, turned to pay attention to me. There's also a number on top of their candle as a backup.

I'm not familiar with the RFID system at BOG since I haven't been there. Can you explain it a little bit? I'm asking because I had a concept of a system many years ago, just wondering if it's similar

Cesar R M

Can I get one person here to admit they'd pay $567 to stay at the Grand Flo and to try and defend that absurd price point? Any regular? Drag someone in who stays in the planning/hotels forum or General up here ... just find me one person that wants to justify the insanity. You'll be able to order pizza and forgo the popcorn for that one!

I honestly can only think about the bragging point and views to the lagoon/MK.

"I STAYED AT THE CONTEMP AT 500 USD A DAY!"

PrincessNelly_NJ

They should have created a Haunted Mansion style dark ride where guests use wands to make things happen. A Hogwart's open house for Muggles where we get to explore the castle and learn how to do spells. It would have been an epic ride that the whole family could have enjoyed together(which was the point of the Potter books and movies in the first place).

They could have also built Forbidden Journey as a ride where we are students in Hagrid's Care of Magic Creatures class, something goes wrong, and off we go through the Forbidden Forrest.

Flight of the Hippogriff is prefect for smaller ones.
Uni's target audience are older, teens & up.

mahnamahna101

Only there's no room for both of those... you'd have to remove something. And back when Hogsmeade was being developed, Universal was on the verge of closure. Potter was their "hail mary". The Haunted Mansion style dark ride would have added another $80-90 million to the costs. Back then, they couldn't afford that.

Removing Dueling Dragons or tearing down the rest of LC would have been the only way to add both.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom