The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

FigmentFreak

I firmly believe that the Club 33 expansion is designed to take advantage of all of these Lifestylers/Bloggers ... the ones who have money and don't get in on a 'friend' (you know the kind you find in the Disney fan community) and want to crow about having a membership.

I tried to have a business meeting in the 1901 Lounge (the Club's DCA locale) last month and with all the OC folks who just wanted to crow about their status in the Disney community, decry paying taxes despite all being worth many millions of dollars and act like the workers there were family, I was having very bad 90210 flashbacks.

What I am curious to know is when Disney is going to make the announcement about the FL location. Do you know? This thing was first told to me over a year ago and still nothing, but I know it is happening.

So a Club 33 in Florida. They'll just put it where Club Cool is in EPCOT, ya know, a cheap overlay, seems to be the in thing these days.

Hobnail Boot

Some people...

g1395350382515600057.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not sure what the current discussion around hotel rooms is all about, but the rooms that are on property but not owned or operated by Disney shouldn't factor into a discussion around occupancy. Universal lives and dies by theme park attendance. It's the single largest driver of earnings for them by a lot (although merchandise is gaining steam). Hotels are not a major portion of the bottom line. For WDW hotels are a huge part of the business. The better way to look at this is not to look at rooms occupied but to add up the lost opportunity for vacant rooms. If they increased occupancy by 20% into the mid 90s that would be about a million dollars a day of increased revenue assuming an average room rate of $200. The additional costs are pretty small so it's mostly profits. $365M a year left on the table. That would pay for a RSR scale ride being built each year!!! The best way to get the numbers up higher isn't to cut rates it's to add to the parks. I also personally think they missed a good opportunity with MM+. Making it virtually the same for off property guests gives Disney no strategic advantage in renting hotel rooms.

mahnamahna101

Haha, and no one did. :)

I will, LOL.

It's kind of like the two types of men who generally went to a vintage Britney concert before she was of age (leaving aside the guys who's girlfriends dragged them).

If it's a gay guy trying to meet Princesses, that normally is cute and somewhat adorkable in some circles, harmless, a gay guy who wants to meet/see a character he "idolizes". OMG! You know?

If it's a straight guy, it's creepy and gross and you can't help but put some sexual yuckiness to it.

That's why when I go to a Britney concert, or stand in line for a female character (Leia has been the only one, I have, I think) I go a bit out of my way to flash my gay card - normally, everyone involved is very much relieved.
Wow.... so many stereotypes. So gay guys and straight women are normal, but straight guys are creepy? Just for wanting to meet a female they crush on?

Is it not creepy for a gay guy to want to meet a Disney prince? Or Spider-Man? Or Darth Vader?

How about those "larger than life" women that squeal at Gaston? Or Captain America? Or Aladdin? Not creepy?

One creepy guy doesn't make all straight guys looking to meet someone who may have been their first crush or someone they admire the same. Little boys grow up into men... and those boys very well could have fond memories of a specific Disney princess (Belle for me, could be any, though)

It seems anything a straight guy does is "creepy" - that word is so overused, much more than "bossy" is used towards women.

Princess Leia, Black Widow, Wonder Woman, Marilyn Monroe, Lucy Ricardo, Betty Boop, Olive Oyl, Marge and Lisa Simpson, Minnie Mouse, any female Disney villain - just a few female characters where I just can't see what's creepy about harmlessly meeting and greeting with them. I don't really care if they want to meet the other characters either. Aside from Disney Junior. That would just be odd seeing anyone over the age of 8, getting excited to meet preschool show stars.

I could care less if a guy likes Britney, the Disney princesses or My Little Pony. Society keeps saying we have to be more tolerant, how about we show tolerance for straight guys who happen to want to meet a female character they liked growing up? Disney is for the child at heart. Meeting characters is part of the experience - straight guys shouldn't be exclude for fear of "creeping" people out. We're in 2014, yet it's still considered okay to discriminate based on weirdness. It's time to move away from pettiness IMO

Rant done...

Last edited:

themonkeyisthesultan

I know about those. There was a bit of sarcasm in my post. Also changing a gift shop into a Starbucks would probably end up brining in more money than the gift shop did, especially since I'm sure it was one of those shops that sold the generic uninteresting "DISNEY PARKS" stuff that can be found everywhere else.
Yeah, the shops on Discovery Island were more or less interchangeable, no big loss there. Much better and more interesting merch in Asia and especially in Africa.

seascape

SOG is no longer owned by Disney swolphin and hotel blvd are long term land lease deals-Disney has no control other than what is in the leases(Westin/Sheraton can't be used in marketing, etc)
Yes, everything below ft wilderness is a leased hotel and not owned or operated by Disney. In my first response above I stated I included hotels that were leased. Also at Universal the hotels are a partnership and not fully owned and operated by Universal.

PhotoDave219

If only that much effort and attention to detail could be used to improve their own parks....

You know, after reading this and other sterling reviews (including Dave's) one thing still gnaws at me. The average guest at WDW today does not seem to be interested in total immersion. They love things like fastpass+ and ADR's because they can ride more rides and "do" more. Even recent comments here about DAK cites its "lack of rides" that makes it less enjoyable. Did Disney create this atmosphere by removing things like benches and trees, or did they react to it? The answer is probably a little of both, but those of us who were fortunate enough to experience that elusive immersion factor at WDW back "in the day" do appreciate UNI's efforts to bring it back.

Do they? Or is that what we are told they want.

Guests will do love anything at Disney. Management knows it and manipulates that to its advantage.

PhotoDave219

I can't keep track of these folks without a whiteboard and pics ... if he runs Attractions, who are the Rosebooms and how do they fit in?

And any Disney-specific Lifestylers get credentialed for this?

I saw the usual Disney bloggers. But seeings as I go far out of my way to avoid them, I couldnt tell you who beyond the people I know or recognize. I was rather busy trying to use every second of time I was allotted, and still missed things.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Banks seems like a true fan and a nice guy, not picking on him - just trying to figure out how much cash this enterprise throws off to support:

Matt
His wife
His son
Banks
The female host
Isn't there a second female host?
The cutie patootie new girl
The out of the loop guy
Is Anthony Armenia part of this?

Sounds like there's money here, lots of it and I want in
It is kinda funny that several of them no longer want to head into the parks for the mundane stuff, and instead send in the minions. I know Brigante hires people to shoot things for him, as does Attractions Magazine.

bhg469

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.
It's not at all sarcasm. It's the truth.

Every theme park in the country has roller coasters and all of them are higher, faster and more thrilling than Disney's. Like I said, my favorite attraction ever is the haunted mansion. I can't think of anything less thrilling than that ride but it's so masterfully done, you can't help but love the detail.

Last edited:

Nemo14

Do they? Or is that what we are told they want.

Guests will do love anything at Disney. Management knows it and manipulates that to its advantage.
That's what I really don't know. I've seen so many people in WDW just rushing from one ride to another, and with FP skipping the queues that were meant to set the mood for the ride. Did the Disney powers that be create this attitude or is it a reflection of the current "I want it now" mentality that has permeated so much of society in general?

PhotoDave219

Banks seems like a true fan and a nice guy, not picking on him - just trying to figure out how much cash this enterprise throws off to support:

Matt
His wife
His son
Banks
The female host
Isn't there a second female host?
The cutie patootie new girl
The out of the loop guy
Is Anthony Armenia part of this?

Sounds like there's money here, lots of it and I want in

JL Left for a full time job with Diz. I have no idea how they handle it financially. I just know they generally do a good job and play it pretty evenly.

PhotoDave219

That's what I really don't know. I've seen so many people in WDW just rushing from one ride to another, and with FP skipping the queues that were meant to set the mood for the ride. Did the Disney powers that be create this attitude or is it a reflection of the current "I want it now" mentality that has permeated so much of society in general?

Society in general. Plus the mentality of "I spent $7000 on this vacation, we have to do it all".... theme park commandoes seem to be more the norm these days. Open to close, going all out.

bhg469

I would wager both. I would love to shake the heck out of the people that have an entire week to enjoy their trip yet micro manage every aspet of it. It used to be a choice, but it's now becoming necessary. I never thought of myself as a beach resort type of guy because I like a lot of input and constantly need to interact with people or take in stuff, but our all inclusive stay in st Lucia was much more satisfying than our last trips to wdw. It's just the level of service that made the trip special, something I haven't felt in disney for a long time.

Nemo14

Society in general. Plus the mentality of "I spent $7000 on this vacation, we have to do it all".... theme park commandoes seem to be more the norm these days. Open to close, going all out.
True - and in a way understandable I suppose. A vacation in WDW is a major expense, so I guess that means doing as much as you possibly can to get your money's worth. I'll take a mood-setting queue any day though. Different strokes...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom