The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
please stop beating around the bush and let us know how you feel

Nah ... passive aggressiveness is so en vogue today, especially with private lounges, Twitter, FB, blogs.

If I don't like someone or something, then I come right out and say it. And I never say something behind anyone's back that I wouldn't say to their face (hey, Georgie K, am I right?) ... Fanbois are so strange. I've never understood the sexual joy of wall carpeting, but whatever.

71jason

Please, JT. I know it is summer. But really ... so many things at WDW are literally crumbling and rotting and you get excited because they are building parking garages at a mall that should have been there a decade ago.

Is this the place to point out that Universal built two signature-quality CityWalk restaurants (in everything but price) in around 6 months? While PI has been allowed to languish for 6 years?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I watched a Brigante video and posted from NJ...does the site show the location of posts?o_O

The Spirit knows all. ... And then some ...

Agreed that Star Wars will have to be done at least to this level of detail by Disney. They can't half- it. Do it right or not at all.

And that should worry us all ...

FigmentJedi

But anyone who crows in this thread about something big and exciting that is new to Disney better be talking about the Ratatouille ride/restaurant/area at DLP or Harrison's hospital bills. This is a 'no crowing about kiddie coasters, Orange Bird merchandise, upcharge events or parking lot/structure construction' zone, please.
Orange Bird is so passe. That Figment and Dreamfinder comic is the new hotness in Disney throwing old park fans bones. And it's been getting positive buzz from comic reviewers in general and not just Disney nerd hype.

Last edited:

themonkeyisthesultan

Respectfully, there's another way to look at the issue of theme park parking.

WDW averages over 5000 empty hotel rooms per night. Maybe if they priced their hotels so that those rooms were full, fewer people would stay offsite and there wouldn't be a need for an overflow area? :)
That could explain it as well. I was just offering an uninteresting explanation for uninteresting news. :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 should we expect Potter 3.0 before 2020?

I think we should expect a lot before 2020. Steve Burke has said to expect an entirely different UNI resort by then to the Creatives. Parts of that were unveiled this week, but VAST amounts of development weren't. They don't want to destroy all the excitement by saying 'we've only just begun' (also a fanboi favorite anthem to sing to their plush), but this is very much like Disney was in the late 80s.

The Visionary Soul

That would be YOUR definition of the purpose of a refillable mug. When they started they were a perk to stay at the resorts. If you stayed at a resort you got a one charge unlimited beverage with connected mugs that identified the particular resort you were in. The purpose was not to cut themselves out of revenue while in the parks, never was, never will be. The only reason why the changed it to cover other resorts was because many people stayed in more then one on any given visit. Then, of course, the bring it back every year for life idea caught on with some people that loosely interpreted the intent. It is possible that in the beginning they did offer "lifetime" usage of the mugs, but even that was limited to the specific resort that you bought it from and not anyplace you happen to be that had fountains.
Damn right it's my definition. And quite honestly, I don't care what the mugs used to be. I know every detail of the old mug program. They did offer lifetime mugs. But even then, I always found it stupid that you couldn't get them filled in the park. I believe that today, you should be able to purchase a mug that is very much like the one at the water parks, valid at refill stations all day in the parks. The RapidFill system (as much as I hate it) has a benefit of being able to be rolled out anywhere and all the systems could be linked together. The only reason they aren't good everywhere is because of the insane way Disney manages revenue streams. F&B in the parks is different than the resorts which is different than the water parks.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Does anyone remember or have a pic of how far the line was to get into Wizarding World when it first opened? I think the only time Disney came close to a line that long was when Indy opened at Disneyland. Also, keep in mind...the line for Indy was for a single attraction...the line at IOA for Potter was to get into the entire land. Can't wait to see how DA compares. I am sure it will be much longer with the additional publicity this go 'round.

I don't know if we will see those lines on opening day, JUST because it was literally announced yesterday...the first HP area opening day had been announced several months in advance. I'm betting we will see the same amount of people but I don't know if we'll see them all on the first day.

PhotoDave219

Now I gave Uni glowing marks for the creativity of Diagon Alley. Its fantastically designed and executed.

Where Universal needs to work on? Training. Day to Day operations and basic guest service. Lose the gruff attitudes and realise youre part of the show. Learn how to handle crowds. Do the simple, basic stuff that even Disney somehow cant screw up.

lazyboy97o

Damn right it's my definition. And quite honestly, I don't care what the mugs used to be. I know every detail of the old mug program. They did offer lifetime mugs. But even then, I always found it stupid that you couldn't get them filled in the park. I believe that today, you should be able to purchase a mug that is very much like the one at the water parks, valid at refill stations all day in the parks. The RapidFill system (as much as I hate it) has a benefit of being able to be rolled out anywhere and all the systems could be linked together. The only reason they aren't good everywhere is because of the insane way Disney manages revenue streams. F&B in the parks is different than the resorts which is different than the water parks.
Because Walt Disney World is not a single place. It is instead a geographic cluster of competing businesses that happen to share ownership.

71jason

Radiator Springs has been done before, a Florida Carsland would lose that impact. And I'm pretty sure people would want to see Elsa's ice palace more then Arendelle.

Star Wars done right could totally curbstomp Potter though.

I kind of meant to include the ice palace in Arendelle (assumed it was within the geographic area of the country). But even with Cars Land in LA, I think an east coast version would be killer.

My larger point was there are plenty of IPs that could support something like this. And frankly--having seen nothing beyond London--I fear a lot of the rave reviews for Diagon Alley are like the 180 pictures of a Starbucks coffee. Orlando theme park fans so obsessed with something--anything--new that an impressive dragon and Rapunzel float in an otherwise average parade or a new Starbucks becomes a home run. WDW could step up its game easily if it wanted to. It clearly has no interest.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, Disney isn't afraid of UNI taking business away, right? Just in from a kind friend in Burbank, but look at Fallon's set now and look at clips of it from Monday. You'll notice some significant changes that were the result of TWDC threatening via Zenia and legal to go to the government and file a complaint because of what was perceived by Disney as constant advertising for free (even if they are the same company, no money was exchanged, no ad time bought). So suddenly the UNI globe disappeared and the UNI arch was made tougher to make out/blurred and Fallon was moved into a blocking position in front of it.

Yes, Disney is that petty. Really. Mindblowingly petty. ...

lazyboy97o

I kind of meant to include the ice palace in Arendelle (assumed it was within the geographic area of the country). But even with Cars Land in LA, I think an east coast version would be killer.

My larger point was there are plenty of IPs that could support something like this. And frankly--having seen nothing beyond London--I fear a lot of the rave reviews for Diagon Alley are like the 180 pictures of a Starbucks coffee. Orlando theme park fans so obsessed with something--anything--new that an impressive dragon and Rapunzel float in an otherwise average parade or a new Starbucks becomes a home run. WDW could step up its game easily if it wanted to. It clearly has no interest.
I don't think Cars Land has sustained the interest, allure and excitement of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade.

So, Disney isn't afraid of UNI taking business away, right? Just in from a kind friend in Burbank, but look at Fallon's set now and look at clips of it from Monday. You'll notice some significant changes that were the result of TWDC threatening via Zenia and legal to go to the government and file a complaint because of what was perceived by Disney as constant advertising for free (even if they are the same company, no money was exchanged, no ad time bought). So suddenly the UNI globe disappeared and the UNI arch was made tougher to make out/blurred and Fallon was moved into a blocking position in front of it.

Yes, Disney is that petty. Really. Mindblowingly petty. ...
And how much did Disney pay to have the Hecks visit Walt Disney World and learn about MagicBands that go "boing?"

71jason

* While theme parks do attract a lot of people, TV shows (again, particularly talk shows, but really any live audience production) don't really want tourists as perpetual audiences and have Joe Schmo from Arkansas on his once-in-a-lifetime trip and all excited about being on the tee-vee shouting because he had too many shots added to his Butterbeer and his tongue is a bit lazy.

I don't know I think the mix of tourists interested in trying something new and fanbois anxious to be star-uhm, lovers could ensure a healthy crowd on a regular basis. Not the 800 seats a night Tonight filled, but I understand in NYC that number is only like 250. Something like that could be reasonable in Orlando.

* Theme park guests do not have the patience for television production. Going to Letterman is a three-hour experience, going to see a Sitcom taping can take six hours.

I was pleasantly surprised by this. Attended two tapings, neither lasted more than 75 minutes. And the Fun show felt live to tape--new song, maybe two minutes of patter, then a mini-concert with their three hits. I've heard stories about Disney parade tapings, but but with a looser style, I think things could work better.

mahnamahna101

I think we should expect a lot before 2020. Steve Burke has said to expect an entirely different UNI resort by then to the Creatives. Parts of that were unveiled this week, but VAST amounts of development weren't. They don't want to destroy all the excitement by saying 'we've only just begun' (also a fanboi favorite anthem to sing to their plush), but this is very much like Disney was in the late 80s.
The Living Seas
Captain EO
Maelstrom
Star Tours
The Great Movie Ride
Wonders of Life
Splash Mountain
Disneyland Paris
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Alien Encounter
The Timekeeper
Tower of Terror
Indiana Jones Adventure
Test Track
Rock n' Roller Coaster
Animal Kingdom

I could get behind something like that for Universal....

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom