The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

mahnamahna101

I would just love to see Disney do anything different! I don't feel immersed in the "lands" anymore at Disney. Animal Kingdom does an excellent job of transporting you elsewhere but outside of that... Disney hasn't delivered imo.
I know they like to cater to families and children but come one! Give us at least one true thrill ride.
I can't tell you how many times I have rolled my eyes watching that Disney World Documentary and the imagineers are talking about people wanting thrill rides and then promptly show Test Track & Mission Space o_O:banghead:
Space Mountain at Disney Paris has a 54" height requirement, a launch and three inversions, so there's that. I'd count RnRC and ToT along with Journey to the Center of the Earth at DisneySea, I'll even give them Indiana Jones Adventure, Everest and California Screamin'. So there's 7 true thrill rides taking all of their parks into account... the rest are fairly family friendly (I see 4 and 5 year olds riding them).

But I agree that Disney has no idea what an actual thrill ride is. I'd love to see them take Bald Mountain and build a thrill machine coaster in Fantasyland - 54" height requirement, immersive theming, on-board music from Fantasia, Chernabog AA/projection chasing you throughout the ride, a few inversions in the pitch darkness, 150 foot drop backwards (with a launch as Chernabog is flying towards the car rolling backwards)... THAT's a thrill ride!! Fire Mountain in Adventureland could be a great addition as well.

Something to equal Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Popeye, Dudley, Spider-Man, FJ, MIB, Mummy, Gringotts, even a family dark ride with the craziness of Cat could be cool - Disney just hasn't shown the drive to build cutting edge thrill rides. MK only has 7 attractions out of 40-50 with a height requirement. Speedway, Barnstormer and SDMT are under 40" so they're more for the preschool/kindergarten crowd. Stitch is 40" for slight intensity, but it's a terrible attraction so I wouldn't recommend anyone go on it :D

So MK has 3 rides that could be classified as thrill rides. A few more E-ticket thrill rides wouldn't hurt and would actually help draw in more demographics. Disneyland has 4 (Indy, Splash, Big Thunder and Space - maybe 5 if you include Matterhorn which has only a 35" height requirement so I don't)

Last edited:

lebeau

They should have created a Haunted Mansion style dark ride where guests use wands to make things happen. A Hogwart's open house for Muggles where we get to explore the castle and learn how to do spells. It would have been an epic ride that the whole family could have enjoyed together(which was the point of the Potter books and movies in the first place).

They could have also built Forbidden Journey as a ride where we are students in Hagrid's Care of Magic Creatures class, something goes wrong, and off we go through the Forbidden Forrest.

2 rides for two different audiences that would have satisfied everyone.

Yes, surely they made a terrible, terrible mistake. The complete mishandling of the HP franchise has plagued Universal for years.

:rolleyes:

Let's compare that to Disney's years-in-the-making Fantasyland Expansion which clearly has something for everyone. From ages 3-7.

GLaDOS

They should have created a Haunted Mansion style dark ride where guests use wands to make things happen. A Hogwart's open house for Muggles where we get to explore the castle and learn how to do spells. It would have been an epic ride that the whole family could have enjoyed together(which was the point of the Potter books and movies in the first place).

They could have also built Forbidden Journey as a ride where we are students in Hagrid's Care of Magic Creatures class, something goes wrong, and off we go through the Forbidden Forrest.

2 rides for two different audiences that would have satisfied everyone.

Yes, they could have built these 2 rides if they magically created more land to build on. They had room for one ride, and they went for the ride that had the most home run potential. It worked.

NearTheEars

Disney controls about 24,000 hotel room and another 3,000 timeshare "two bedroom equivalents". After the opening of the 1,800-room Cabana Bay, Universal has 4,200 rooms.

In 2013, Disney's domestic occupancy rate was 79%. That number is inflated by DVC. Looking at just WDW's hotels, the occupancy rate was about 76%.

Taking it one step further, Disney designated about 4% of their rooms as unavailable in 2013. Rooms taken of inventory are not counted against the occupancy rate.

After putting it all together, about 72% of WDW's hotel rooms were occupied in 2013.

For Metro Orlando, WDW's hotel occupancy rate is average. It's actually below average for the immediate WDW vicinity.

Considering the tremendous advantages Disney has over the local hotel competition, Disney should be embarrassed by its poor occupancy rate.

Would lowering rates to make them more affordable, in turn raising occupancy, but adding more stress to transportation infrastructure and a need for more employees, help the bottom line? Would they break even?

Maybe that's why they keep them sky-high. Unless I hit the lottery or win some kind of trip there is no chance I'll ever stay at a deluxe. Thankfully we're close enough just to sleep at home.

I'm not a business wiz just asking.

mahnamahna101

Yes, surely they made a terrible, terrible mistake. The complete mishandling of the HP franchise has plagued Universal for years.

Let's compare that to Disney's years-in-the-making Fantasyland Expansion which clearly has something for everyone. From ages 3-7.
Where's my E-ticket for Fantasyland? What's that - Fantasyland should be all ages-only? From looking at the park map, the whole place is all-ages :rolleyes:

Yep, only 3 to 7 yr olds like Fantasyland... teens and adults can't possibly enjoy an attraction placed in this area, or really the MK in general ;)

Haha you can definitely tell MK's main demo from the additions over the last 10 years. Hasn't seen an E-ticket in 20 yrs. And yet Fire Mountain and Bald Mountain are nowhere in sight...

PrincessNelly_NJ

Space Mountain at Disney Paris has a 54" height requirement, a launch and three inversions, so there's that. I'd count RnRC and ToT along with Journey to the Center of the Earth at DisneySea, I'll even give them Indiana Jones Adventure, Everest and California Screamin'. So there's 7 true thrill rides taking all of their parks into account... the rest are fairly family friendly (I see 4 and 5 year olds riding them).

But I agree that Disney has no idea what an actual thrill ride is. I'd love to see them take Bald Mountain and build a thrill machine coaster in Fantasyland - 54" height requirement, immersive theming, on-board music from Fantasia, Chernabog AA/projection chasing you throughout the ride, a few inversions in the pitch darkness, 150 foot drop backwards (with a launch as Chernabog is flying towards the car rolling backwards)... THAT's a thrill ride!! Fire Mountain in Adventureland could be a great addition as well.

Something to equal Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Popeye, Dudley, Spider-Man, FJ, MIB, Mummy, Gringotts, even a family dark ride with the craziness of Cat could be cool - Disney just hasn't shown the drive to build cutting edge thrill rides. MK only has 7 attractions out of 40-50 with a height requirement. Speedway, Barnstormer and SDMT are under 40" so they're more for the preschool/kindergarten crowd. Stitch is 40" for slight intensity, but it's a terrible attraction so I wouldn't recommend anyone go on it :D

So MK has 3 rides that could be classified as thrill rides. A few more E-ticket thrill rides wouldn't hurt and would actually help draw in more demographics. Disneyland has 4 (Indy, Splash, Big Thunder and Space - maybe 5 if you include Matterhorn which has only a 35" height requirement so I don't)

I was specifically speaking of WDW. I struggle to consider TOT, Everest or, RnRC as true thrill rides.

Outside of the launch RnRC is pretty tame and short. My first time, I asked guest in line how bad it was and got told that Space Mountain was more intense than RnRC.
I avoided TOT for years because I hate drop rides... well.. I was actually disappointed when I finally got the courage to ride it.
Everest... It is probably their best attempt at a thrill ride but again... but I know 4 year olds who ride it with no issue.

Maybe I'm just used to large coasters. I live 20 minutes from SFGA and it has some great coasters.

JediMasterMatt

I am sure everyone here can agree that the most important thing to both companies is filling the parks to rim so they can maximize profits and not care that guests are bumping into each other.

While yes, park attendance is very important, the real war shaping up in Orlando is over where those guests will spend their nights - a Disney resort or a Universal resort.

Park attendance will take care of itself as attractions get added (in Universal's case at least). The all out war for the future of Orlando is the fight over hotel occupancy. WDW's business model has always been one based on steering guests to staying on property; but, now with MM+ - it is the cornerstone of their profitability model.

Universal was previously content about just stealing a day trip away from the Mouse. Now, they have the ammunition and more importantly the desire to get people to spend their nights at Universal and make day trips to see the Mouse. With Comcast fast tracking more rooms, the stakes will keep going up. They are making "an offer we can't refuse" when it comes to the value proposition they have over a comparable stay at WDW. Better quality for less money and unbeatable perks when it comes to early entry and unlimited Express Pass.

If you are a fan of Disney Parks, this is what we should all be rooting for as it will likely take drops in hotel occupancy to get any positive reaction from TDO.

mahnamahna101

I was specifically speaking of WDW. I struggle to consider TOT, Everest or, RnRC as true thrill rides.

Outside of the launch RnRC is pretty tame and short. My first time, I asked guest in line how bad it was and got told that Space Mountain was more intense than RnRC.
I avoided TOT for years because I hate drop rides... well.. I was actually disappointed when I finally got the courage to ride it.
Everest... It is probably their best attempt at a thrill ride but again... but I know 4 year olds who ride it with no issue.

Maybe I'm just used to large coasters. I live 20 minutes from SFGA and it has some great coasters.
I'd say ToT is a true thrill ride at night... during the day, not so much. Everest I do agree isn't a thrill machine... but RnRC is a bonafide thrill ride just for the launch and inversions - it's about equal with Mummy in terms of thrill. Space is a thrill ride just because of the whiplash from the track :D

And yeah, theme parks are known for theming more than 300 ft coasters... but a 150 ft one inside a Disney mountain could be great with the right effects, etc. Hulk, DC and Rockit are leaps and bounds above Disney's coasters in terms of thrill, though.

bhg469

IMG_0609_zps3f5535d0.jpg

Does this not scream deluxe to you?
The iHome Ipod dock... easily worth an additional $120 per night alone!:rolleyes:
But the tv is flat!!

PrincessNelly_NJ

I'd say ToT is a true thrill ride at night... during the day, not so much. Everest I do agree isn't a thrill machine... but RnRC is a bonafide thrill ride just for the launch and inversions - it's about equal with Mummy in terms of thrill. Space is a thrill ride just because of the whiplash from the track :D

And yeah, theme parks are known for theming more than 300 ft coasters... but a 150 ft one inside a Disney mountain could be great with the right effects, etc. Hulk, DC and Rockit are leaps and bounds above Disney's coasters in terms of thrill, though.
I definitely would give them Space Mountain... I like whiplash:D
I still don't see RnRC as thrilling. After the take off... it seems pretty slow... I have never heard anyone screaming of joy after the take off... IDK... I'm so used to massive coasters that it disappointed me. I even took my friends to WDW last year and they felt the same way about it. (we still rode it 3 times in a row!:D)
I'd pick the Mummy over RnRC.
But that is just my opinion... I can respect yours too...

Can Disney please just give me a dueling Star wars coaster, please and thank you!:arghh::arghh::arghh:

SJN1279

Only there's no room for both of those... you'd have to remove something. And back when Hogsmeade was being developed, Universal was on the verge of closure. Potter was their "hail mary". The Haunted Mansion style dark ride would have added another $80-90 million to the costs. Back then, they couldn't afford that.

Removing Dueling Dragons or tearing down the rest of LC would have been the only way to add both.

You could have removed that awful Voyage of Sinbad show to put another Potter attraction. Each Potter land is actually only one new ride. Didn't Cameron say, one ride doesn't make a land? :p

SJN1279

The Potter IP draws people in, but Universal lacks an epic family dark ride. Hogwarts was the missed opportunity.

New Fantasyland has a dark ride for the entire family. A surprisingly fun well themed coaster. An extremely well themed restaurant with great food, and increased capacity for Dumbo and the land as a whole. It may have taken a while to open, but it is a very well balance and well themed land.

bhg469

You could have removed that awful Voyage of Sinbad show to put another Potter attraction. Each Potter land is actually only one new ride. Didn't Cameron say, one ride doesn't make a land? :p
Yes as his project got downgraded from 3 to 1 and a half...

What makes you think HP is done also? 3rd gate on the way, lots of things they can remove to make more room. A few more Rowling books on the way... we haven't seen the last of the Harry Potter world attractions.

lazyboy97o

I love how you and your ilk always seem to forget either the Hogwarts Express or Harry Potter and Escape from Gringotts when trying to peddle this stupid idea that there is only one [new] ride in each portion of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

FrankLapidus

IOA has Forbidden Journey, Dragon Challenge and Flight of the Hippogriff.

If you will insist on this strange little vendetta against Universal, at least do some research before you throw around baseless, agenda-driven inaccuracies.

EDIT - I see you said "new" rides. Still a land though if you do subscribe to the James Cameron school of theme park design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom