The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
American Airlines does not and has never owned JAL. They are code share partners through OneWorld. That's all.

Right...what I mean is...as I've found out recently, if I try to book a trip from Tampa to Tokyo through Kayak.com for example, it will say Japan Airlines, then you read the fine print and it shows that 2 of the flights (one stop each way) are run by American Airlines....that's just wrong.

Goofyernmost

Right...what I mean is...as I've found out recently, if I try to book a trip from Tampa to Tokyo through Kayak.com for example, it will say Japan Airlines, then you read the fine print and it shows that 2 of the flights (one stop each way) are run by American Airlines....that's just wrong.
Why is that wrong? It's pretty standard airline procedure to lease the planes owned and operated by other companies to connect their links.

maxairmike

OK, recall last night that I said I may need some help. Here it is:

It involves sourcing something that has come into my possession.

Does anyone here know about Disney's use of the Compass Rose Corporation, incorporated in April of 1965? It is listed as the company of record for various FCC licenses (a sample is here http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=fle&stid=12&en=COMPASS ROSE CORPORATION ...) and appears to have been, initially, a tool for land acquisition during Walt's days.

It is listed as an "affiliated company" and the ownership of the same by TWDC does not appear to be clear or complete -- I would say more muddled. Yet, Disney's typical roster of corporate agents and officeholders out of Burbank and Glendale is there for this 'Compass Rose Corporation'.

I know Compass Rose has been utilized by TWDC to obscure real estate transactions over the years to the present day. In fact, not too long ago, Disney sold 234 acres to Horizon West (the master-planned development north of the MK and south of Windermere) for the rather small, curiously so, amount of $18 million.

Compass Rose Corporation is separate and distinct, however, from the shell companies employed by Disney to acquire the land on which WDW itself was built. Those companies are known to be Latin American Development, Ayefour Corporation, Tomahawk Corporation, Reedy Creek Ranch Inc., Bay Lake Properties Inc., and Compass EAST Corporation.

The other aforementioned shell corporations were folded into Compass East in September of 1966 which a year later became the Walt Disney World Company. Standing alone, Compass Rose Corporation has existed and operated for nearly 50 years now. Largely, it appears, to dissolve of real estate and hold the telecommunications backbone of Disney's resort properties. (Although, as just one anomaly of many produced, the site vacationsurvey.com, for example, was a Compass Rose Corporation endeavor.)

The former Buena Vista Communications/Vista-United is now part of Smart City Telecom, but Compass Rose appears to hold much of the required licensing for the flow of communications at WDW. And, again, shows itself in real estate transactions where there is an apparent intent to distance WDW and TWDC from the operations of Compass Rose.

I have been made aware of various items of interest that indicate Compass Rose Corporation has a more significant role and the FCC licenses attached to it may speak to that as does Disney's effort to make this apparent subsidiary appear to be something other than that.

Does anyone here have any more information on how and why Disney is employing this very old tool of Walt's era?

If you wish to keep it private, then that is fine too ... PM me and we can take it off the site to email.
There's just some 'odd' things that may be perfectly normal with an explanation so ... anyone help?

Hmmmm...don't have the time or energy presently, but I do enjoy a good trip down the records search rabbit hole something like this typically entails. If you find the answer(s) your looking for before the middle of the week, do let us know. I'll likely do my own searching regardless, as these things are a natural curiosity for me, but just want to be sure I'm not hitting you with redundant information at a later date.

Stevek

Now, are you watching the NBA Finals?

Ugh, no way. Zero interest. I've been completely enamored with the Stanley Cup playoffs, more specifically the run my Kings have been having. The series against the Hawks was perhaps the best 7 game series I've ever seen. Shame more people can't get into the sport. It's easily the best live sport IMO, once you figure out the game.

dadddio

The 'some guy I once knew' is the current President of WDW and was the VP of EPCOT when the decision to take the building down and the decision to build Mission Space were made. The information I am putting forth I am attributing to him.
Assuming that you did know him, the mere fact that he didn't tell you something doesn't mean that something didn't exist.

BrianLo

This is called a codeshare. It's neither wrong or intentionally meant to be tricky, it's quite common practice. It should usually say "this flight is operated by Airline xxx" right under the flight number.

JAL doesn't actually fly to TPA... so pre-codeshares you would never be even offered a JAL marketed flight.

In case you are curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeshare_agreement#Reasons_and_advantages

dadddio

"Fishing" answers for what is what I would like to know!?!? It amazes me that some people who post here dislike @WDW1974 so much they try to make everything he says into an f'ing conspiracy theory. What in the WORLD could he possibly do to offend fanbois by asking an honest question? If someone else asked the same question there would not have been that much backlash.
I don't dislike him. I don't even know him. That being said, the bit that is off about your post is the thing about an 'honest question' because what he asked wasn't one. Also, what 'backlash'? He asked a completely skewed question that was basically designed to generate responses only from those that agree with his premise. He was called on it by a few posters. That's not a backlash.

dadddio

It's just a code share agreement. All airlines do it. Back in the day, if your flight had four digits, it was probably a code share. I don't know if that's still accurate.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Ill informed I would say.. not wrong. Assuming a foreign carrier operates all legs within the US would be 'wrong'.

First.. if you are using a 3rd party site like Kayak... realize they will often book mixed carrier tickets to try to find the cheapest combination...

Second.. airlines partner all the time in codesharing agreements to sell routes. Look on any departures board in the airport.. watch the flight numbers roll for the same flight. The booking site should also say 'operated by..'.

If you ever book a regional flight.. you find nearly all of them (even branded stuff like United Express) are operated by other airlines.

and to really screw with your head.. your FreqFlyer perks and benefits will vary depending on who sold you the ticket.. even for the same exact flight. It really sucks when you can't get Lounge access because of whose ticket you bought..

It's just how the biz is.. and has been for decades.

Funmeister

I don't dislike him. I don't even know him. That being said, the bit that is off about your post is the thing about an 'honest question' because what he asked wasn't one. Also, what 'backlash'? He asked a completely skewed question that was basically designed to generate responses only from those that agree with his premise. He was called on it by a few posters. That's not a backlash.

The fact he was "called on it by a few posters" was/is backlash because you do not care for the way he worded a question. This is insane...

"Called on it" for what? lol Why? Are you building a case against him? lol Are you going to contact guest communications and report that he asked a Disney question in an unflattering light? LOL

He started this thread. If people do not care for it...then leave. He is not selling Kool Aid any more potent then what Disney is selling to anyone here. Your "few posters" are worried enough about a question someone asked that you feel is skewed? LOL It's HIS thread! If you do not like it...start your own!

A few people on this board remind me of the listeners who hate Howard Stern. THEY....KEEP....LISTENING.....but of course want to about how bad he is. LOL

HAIL @WDW1974 STERN - KING OF ALL (disney related) MEDIA

Oh, the outrage! LOL

Take a WDW survey sometime and we will talk about skewed questions/answer options!

Your visit to Epcot today was:
A) Great
B) Awesome
C) Terrific
D) Outstanding

(Okay, it's not that bad but pretty damn close!)

Moving on....

TP2000

Suffice to say, when I fly to and from SoCal, 90% of the time it is thru LAX (BTW, SoCal is also home to international airports in Long Beach, Burbank and Ontario ... I've only used the latter and it has seen about 65% of flights cut back from about 2000 to now.)

Ontario Intl. Airport (ONT) has fallen quite a bit. You know they are owned by LAX World Airports, the quasi-governmental authority that runs LAX? Yeah. Ontario Airport imploded when the housing market collapsed in '07 and they haven't recovered. 2007 was also about the time that the Ontario city council wanted to rename the airport Walt Disney International Airport, to try and get Disneyland tourists to book their flights through Ontario instead of John Wayne or LAX. Seriously. The locals threw a fit. The Disney Company also wasn't thrilled with the idea. The Ontario city council dropped it shortly thereafter. True story.

Long Beach Airport (LGB) is fantastic. It's JetBlue's West Coast hub. There's a new terminal beyond the original 1940's art deco check-in terminal, and I like it because when you are sipping wine on the patio waiting for your flight you can say you are at the "LGBT" and then giggle for stupid reasons. It's like the upscale boutique hotel of airports, with indoor/outdoor lounge areas and hip restaurants and bars. Nicest and fastest TSA folks you've ever seen, too.

Long Beach Airport (LGB) and their new LGBT, the indoor/outdoor Hipster Boutique Hotel of airport terminals - 20 minutes from Disneyland
Long%20Beach%20Airport%201.jpg
Long%20Beach%20Airport%202.jpg

I see folks discussing WDW tours and how they ... um ... ah ... ahm ... STRETCH the truth regarding Walt Disney and what his impact really was on the creation of the MK and most of WDW. Those tours are WONDERful IF you like to coat your world view in outright distortion and lies with a healthy dose of PR spin tossed on top.

Yeah, it's ridiculous what they get away with on that Keys To The Kingdom guided tour. And Magic Kingdom management is charging cash-money for those half-truths and urban legends and misplaced anecdotes and a couple of outright lies, served up by a perky tour guide in blue plaid who I'm afraid actually believes what her manager told her to say. It's shameful, and also a bit sad.

On about the third hour of the Keys To The Kingdom tour I took a few years ago, I began to wonder "Who the heck is in charge of this place, and what brand of bourbon are they drinking all afternoon instead of effectively managing their business?!?"

Last edited:

Longhairbear

Ontario Intl. Airport (ONT) has fallen quite a bit. You know they are owned by LAX World Airports, the quasi-governmental authority that runs LAX? Yeah. Ontario Airport imploded when the housing market collapsed in '07 and they haven't recovered. 2007 was also about the time that the Ontario city council wanted to rename the airport Walt Disney International Airport, to try and get Disneyland tourists to book their flights through Ontario instead of John Wayne or LAX. Seriously. The locals threw a fit. The Disney Company also wasn't thrilled with the idea. The Ontario city council dropped it shortly thereafter. True story.

Long Beach Airport (LGB) is fantastic. It's JetBlue's West Coast hub. There's a new terminal beyond the original 1940's art deco check-in terminal, and I like it because when you are sipping wine on the patio waiting for your flight you can say you are at the "LGBT" and then giggle for stupid reasons. It's like the upscale boutique hotel of airports, with indoor/outdoor lounge areas and hip restaurants and bars. Nicest and fastest TSA folks you've ever seen, too.

Long Beach Airport (LGB) and their new LGBT, the indoor/outdoor Hipster Boutique Hotel of airport terminals - 20 minutes from Disneyland
Long%20Beach%20Airport%201.jpg
Long%20Beach%20Airport%202.jpg

Yeah, it's ridiculous what they get away with on that Keys To The Kingdom guided tour. And Magic Kingdom management is charging cash-money for those half-truths and urban legends and misplaced anecdotes and a couple of outright lies, served up by a perky tour guide in blue plaid who I'm afraid actually believes what her manager told her to say. It's shameful, and also a bit sad.

On about the third hour of the Keys To The Kingdom tour I took a few years ago, I began to wonder "Who the heck is in charge of this place, and what brand of bourbon are they drinking all afternoon instead of effectively managing their business?!?"
PSP/ Palm Springs International is gorgeous also. It has seen a huge increase in passengers the last few years, this past season being the most passengers in it's history, if I am not mistaken.

TP2000

PSP/ Palm Springs International is gorgeous also. It has seen a huge increase in passengers the last few years, this past season being the most passengers in it's history, if I am not mistaken.

Yes, it is. I love that Palm Springs finally tapped in to its mid-century modern history before it was all gone or turned into stucco "Tuscany!" strip malls.

tamotu99

I would say in general to stay away from domestic carriers internationally. I used to love Continental's Business First product, but United has just butchered the only high quality domestic carrier.

I can't say I have flown a bad foreign carrier, and that even includes Europe's answer to SW in EasyJet. When I have a decent experience on a domestic carrier as I did two weeks ago on Delta, that is cause for celebration. About time we let the foreign carriers into USA service.

Easy Jet are a great budget airline (even better you now get assigned seats, so the long pointless queues and pushing and shoving are gone) another great European budget is German Wings, theya re owned by lufthansa and run their planes, great service

Have you ever flown on Ryanair, now they are the worst, the worst airline i have ever flown on, its not just budget its designed to try and make you pay penalties

thought you might like this video its an Irish comedic trio about booking a Ryan air flight, but could apply for several airlines
WARNING - Language

As for Nadal vs Fedderer all you can say is that they are the two greatest tennis players of the modern era with Djokovic a close third especially on hard, like all sports they are the greatest ever by virtue of playing in the modern era with modern sport science, the financial ability to dedicate themselves to the sport, the technology advances in racquets, shoes etc

On Clay it is undisputed, Nadal is the best, on carpet it is undisputed Federer is the best, i would say on hard and grass Fedderer slightly shades it, so overall i would put Fed just slightly ahead of Nadal

Last edited by a moderator:

Bolna

Funny how that's changed in the last five years or so, isn't it? If it weren't for my beloved Epcot, as a West Coaster I'd be about the same when it comes to WDW now. TDO has a lot of work to do, and the Dwarfs Mine Train and Avatar simulator ride isn't nearly enough.

You obviously can't beat the convenience of Lufthansa's twice-daily non-stop flights from Frankfurt to LAX, and on those snazzy new 747-8 Intercontinentals no less. But I recently flew Norwegian Air on their non-stop flight from LAX to Oslo and it was a very good airline at a very good price on a new 787 Dreamliner. Norwegian Air also has non-stops to LAX from London and Copenhagen at prices that beat the non-stop British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, KLM, etc. fares in Business or Coach.

Now, of course, John Wayne OC Airport is actually much closer to Disneyland and much nicer than LAX, but the only international service to John Wayne comes from from Mexico and Canada on Interjet or Westjet. But if you are already inside the USA, do whatever you can to avoid the disaster of LAX and get your Disneyland flight to John Wayne Orange County Airport.

Thanks for the tips! However, have you seen the new International Terminal at LAX? It is quite amazing! It seems to be brand new and has all kind of cool screen effects and is really nice to hang out in! Lot's of great food choices as well. I looked around and found this blog post that describes it nicely. And it even shows the flight that I took (the AF A380). :)

I actually flew into John Wayne on my first ever visit to Disneyland in 1992!

Bolna

Have you ever flown on Ryanair, now they are the worst, the worst airline i have ever flown on, its not just budget its designed to try and make you pay penalties

Ah, yes, I was going to reply to @WDW1974's post that he obviously never had the joy of flying on a Ryanair flight. Otherwise he would not make the claim of European budget carriers being so good... :hungover:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom