Ratatouille in Epcot

Communicore

So while I like the idea of EPCOT getting love, I really wish they would focus on fixing the eyesores they have rather than adding buildings and plugging in movie characters.

I have no doubt that if they put in a Pixar based ride in the French Pavillion that it would be successful. But it's another nail in the cartoonified coffin of a once intelligent and fantastic park.
I'm all for the cartoonization. Once Character Spot was established that's the final straw. That's what people like, and that's what will bring in the profits so why not?

aladdin2007

Brazil PLEASE. I'd rather explore a new country done in the old EPCOT Center style than a toon based attraction.

Agree, though WS needs a new ride..... But I can't see the statue making it into the pavilion as much as I would like it. Question is are there sponsors involved?
wow their concept art skills have become more and more toonish.

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

brazilworldshowcaseconcept.jpg
Some quick and dirty changes to highlight the details.

CDavid

I would take both. Spend the big bucks!

Why can't they do both?

Because one is perfectly true to the purpose, theme, and vision for Epcot and World Showcase, and the other...well, isn't any of those things.

These days? When people think cloned toon rides are a good idea for Epcot? Probably slim.

If toons had never been inappropriately placed in The Living Seas or Mexico, then maybe people today wouldn't have the mistaken impression that character-based attractions are appropriate for Epcot. The very worst thing that could be done is to exacerbate the problem with the wrong placement for what is probably a very good attraction - for the Studios.

PhotoDave219

I'm all for the cartoonization. Once Character Spot was established that's the final straw. That's what people like, and that's what will bring in the profits so why not?

Can we keep it more in Future World?

Seriously.... with the 6-9 months out of the year that is the drunkfests at Epcot, the last thing we need is attracting more children and exposing them to that environment.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Ok.
I wasn't gonna put this out there, but what the hell...

Two pieces of concept art. One for the Rat ride, the other for an as yet un-built country.
Which one does Epcot need more?
Which one better fits with the mission and purpose of Epcot?

How you answer that will determine whether or not you "get" Epcot.

I also have a feeling opinions may be skewed a bit by age....

(Enjoy the photo. Good chance I'll get told to pull it.)

View attachment 53414

View attachment 53415
That's a joke, yes? Is either of these a real possibility? And if it's one or the other, how can those making the decision possibly need more than 5 seconds to realize which one fits Epcot better? Put the Rat clone in Pixar place along with a new restaurant, which DHS needs.

tl77

My parent's first took me, my brother, sister, and grandmother to WDW in the early 1980's, and while we could do "most" of the things at MK together, we could do "everything" in EPCOT. At the time both parks were an equal draw for us, and we probably preferred EPCOT a little more than MK. Today 30 years later, my parents are now the grandparents, and we a planning a trip for the whole family this fall, and Epcot is the one park we will probably skip, for the simple reason that there isn't enough to do there for us as a family.

I don't know that the Ratatouille ride is the best addition to the park, but we're probably not the only family that feels Epcot is skip-able, and given how many hotels and DVCs they have in WDW, how all the advertising, meal plans, and ticket deals are geared towards "families" ...having a park that no longer appeals to families is probably a big problem, and I prefer they found a way to fix that problem that doesn't involve any more movie stars or cartoon characters

CDavid

It does. An old school one.

Once before when new World Showcase countries were rumored, it was mentioned it might mean the new addition taking the place of an existing country. Is that a danger here, or is this possibly a true addition?

(With the realization we're probably asking questions prematurely...)

aladdin2007

Once before when new World Showcase countries were rumored, it was mentioned it might mean the new addition taking the place of an existing country. Is that a danger here, or is this possibly a true addition?

(With the realization we're probably asking questions prematurely...)

I think a new addition, it would cost more to take one out and replace it....Lee whats the percentage estimate of either the pavilion or rat happening at all. Im feeling 80% rat, 20% pavilion.

doctornick

I would love to see the Ratatouille ride come to WDW... in DHS. I agree with others that it would be a much better location, both thematically and in terms of where it would benefit. DHS would massively benefit by adding a family friendly ride like that and would also be a good place to have the associated restaurant -- a nice sit down French place there would be a good addition. If TDO is considering adding Kitchen Calamity to WDW and not going to put it in DHS, well, I find that odd to say the least. I mean, unless all of Soundstage 1/Backlot Tour/LMA was all being already planned to be used for other attractions and it just wouldn't fit, then the rat should be put there somewhere.

That said, ignoring the better option and considering Ratatouille in France/Epcot in isolation on its own merits.... I'm on the fence. As I have said, I think WS desperately needs rides especially in that area of the park, so I'm definitely in favor of that. And Ratatouille wouldn't be my first choice for a ride theme, but I'm not one who thinks it is terrible. It's not anywhere near as bad as Frozen in Norway or even Donald and company in Mexico IMHO. Ratatouille is, like Nemo in the Seas (another one I don't have big problems with), is a real animal living in the real world -- as opposed to anthropomorphic animals living in some fictional world. There are restaurants in France and some probably have rats in them. And the movie celebrates French culinary cuisine. It's absolutely a stretch to add it to France, but it's not a big enough stretch that I'd lose sleep over it or be particularly bothered. I'm more offended by what they did to Imagination than adding this ride to Epcot.

I totally get the arguments against adding it to France. I'm sympathetic to them. I don't favor the idea in a vacuum and agree that Disney/TDO could and should do better. Hell, if they want to clone a ride but have it be a good thematic fit, just take the Matterhorn blueprints, shape the mountain like Mt. Fugi and add Godzilla instead of an Abominable Snowman. Or put the Sindbad ride in Morocco (okay, it's not really ideal for Morocco, but it is certainly the type of cultural as opposed to cartoony ride that would be great for WS).

But, honestly, I'm just not bothered by the idea of the Ratatouille ride. It wouldn't cheapen WS to me and still is French enough that I feel it would enhance the experience at the pavilion rather than take away. I think it would really be a boon to Epcot and would help to spread out the crowds. Hell, it might even get us some longer hours in WS, which I fully support.

doctornick

It does. An old school one.

Well, I'd be happy to see it. As I said, WS needs rides more than it needs new countries with just food and shops. Any construction in WS should be to add a ride IMHO, whether an addition to an existing pavilion or a new country.

PeterAlt

Uh...Please tell me your post may contain trace amounts of sarcasm... :confused:

If only there were a thematically better place in Walt Disney World to place such an attraction, maybe some sort of "Fantasy" land or something. Or, perhaps some sort of park devoted to movie themed attractions.
After spending the w/e at WDW, I have reached many new conclusions. Here's a biggie:

Disney isn't in the business of creating attractions for us fans. I know this may be a hard pill to swallow. They create attractions for the general public and a wide variety of interests. Disney fans like us make up a small percentage of their customers. When, at times, Disney does create attractions that we Disney fans love, we should be thankful and happy because they didn't have to do anything to cater to us, since the money they will make off of us alone is but a very insignificant drop in the bucket.

For example, today we went to see American Idol at DHS. It didn't appeal to me (thus my boredom caused me to focus on my camera rather than the show), but my sister loved it! She had so much fun that I didn't want to spoil that for her and I let her have the time of her life, happy that at least she was at least enjoying it. I also noticed that the room was full of people equally enjoying themselves. My sister likes Disney but she's not part of the community of fans, like I am. I suspect that those other in the room who were having such a good time, like my sister was, weren't part of the community of Disney fans as well.

It's okay for Disney to create attractions like American Idol, with an appeal to audiences other than the community of Disney fans. It's business.

Rat at EC will broaden the appeal of EC the same way the Nemo overlay of LS has. It will probably not win the approval of the community of Disney fans, like how the Nemo overlay hasn't won approval of hard core fans. But vocalize that disapproval to the kids who will love it and their parents who will share that experience.

This is a good business move, something the company desperately needs to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom