PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

TP2000

64 comments on the blog post (which now seems to take an effort to actually find) and 62 of them are pleading with Disney not to remove the waterfall.

My polite post on the Parks Blog stating disappointment over removing the waterfall originally got through and was posted on 5/2/14 at 4:20PM. But then a few hours later it disappeared and hasn't returned. That tells me there were more than 62 comments of displeasure, but they are editing them down to remain at two pages.

A conspiracy theorist might think it was removed because I commented on it here in this thread, and that "they" were scanning message boards and didn't like that I bragged that I got a polite yet critical comment on the Blog. But I'm not into conspiracy theories, and honestly I don't think people working in a Celebration, Florida cubicle farm for Disney's Social Media team are that organized.

Kman101

That's very interesting it seems to be staying at a certain amount, and you're approved and posted entry is now gone. Hmm.

John

Just an observation about the art rendering for Poly, I really am not trying to extrapolate anything.......other then making an observation. The children pictured seemed to be under the care of a single adult. I imagine the man pictured to the right talking to the woman with his back facing us looks to be a CM. Also the children look young, no teens or tweens.

note2001

Curious that Disney commissioned an elaborate fountain for the VGF and what they're willing to spend on the Poly seems* to pale in comparison. (*I have no clue how much a hotel fountain costs, and would welcome input from anyone who does. Perhaps a statue and rock work is just as expensive as brass penguins)

Thinking of other new (deluxe) lobbies they've built: Someone help me out, is there a water feature inside the BLT lobby? I don't recall seeing one other than the reflecting pool outside. (You want to talk about a bland lobby? Look there folks.)

Last edited:

Rodan75

I suspect that there is either something more to the Tiki fountain in the lobby and/or they will update the tiki fountain to be something a little more reminiscent of the current fountain before all is said or done.

However, it is important for folks to remember that some of the very strong theming that exists at Poly and at some parts of WL is actually off putting to the target audiences. They want a taste of the theme, not to be smacked upside the head with it.

optjay

My comments didnt even make it onto the Disney blog lol. Nothing rude was said, but voiced my displeasure about the waterfall removal and generic themeing of the lobby.

llrain

I believe that the VGF would be budgeted via the DVC budget whereas the Poly lobby is budgeted via the, ill call it regular, Disney parks/resorts budget.. so you cannot really compare the two as one unless you are comparing what they are doing for the POLY DVC part which is different from the poly main construction
We pay for what you call, the elaborate fountain, through dues.

Curious that Disney commissioned an elaborate fountain for the VGF and what they're willing to spend on the Poly seems* to pale in comparison. (*I have no clue how much a hotel fountain costs, and would welcome input from anyone who does. Perhaps a statue and rock work is just as expensive as brass penguins)

Thinking of other new (deluxe) lobbies they've built: Someone help me out, is there a water feature inside the BLT lobby? I don't recall seeing one other than the reflecting pool outside. (You want to talk about a bland lobby? Look there folks.)

GymLeaderPhil

I hear you with Disney fans favoring nostalgia - they are different markets. But in the spirit of the discussion I don't think that is all that important. This is about what level of transparency and engagement a company should have with it's customers regarding it's product development.

Lets be honest here. Let's assume Disney were to come out and say
"Hello fan community, we are sorry to say that the Polynesian fountain is falling apart and can not continue operation in it's current state. The level of humidity needed to sustain the ecosystem of the fountain is causing long term damage to the building and things inside of it. The continued expansion of the property also requires more service space in the lobby, and we need to reclaim some of the space"

(this is the whole transparency thing in why.. now lets assume they are transparent in what)

"Because of this, we will be redesigning the Grand Ceremonial House to a refreshed Polynesian design that will be more comfortable, more appealing, and will bring the lobby into the 21st century with greater service, amenities, while still offering the sights, smells, and feel of the polynesian islands"

Here you could say "Disney was clear on why" - but would it change anything? No... because many people would say "well if its falling apart, just rebuild it!". These 'fans' don't have to face any of the realities of why they chose not to rebuild it, but they will still have a stubborn opinion of that's what Disney should do.. and nothing else. Now you just have people second guessing what Disney said.. vs accepting what they said.

It's a no win for Disney in a lot of ways because outsiders can pick and chose what they accept and will face.
So let me get this straight. A company that has specialized for over fifty years in building attractions that have large amounts of water running throughout and permeating from show scenes/figures cannot find a solution to maintain a small water feature inside a hotel lobby? I'll gladly pitch in for some of these...
DampRid-Group-Shot-1024x281.jpg

God knows if it doesn't have a radio frequency chip involved it's not being funded right now.

Operationally, where is the issue with lack of space or flow? I've never seen an issue at the Poly outside of it's unfortunately tiny and land-locked parking lot. Anyone who has worked the Front Desk want to chime in here?

Those aren't the issues here - it's money. Admittedly I believe the points you brought up would probably be included in a reactive statement if Disney were to craft it along with the boilerplate "We constantly are evaluating and adjusting our offerings."

Here's an idea. Redesign it with an entryway down the middle, add more bench seating along the perimeter, or reduce the size. Make it more accessible. Make it maintenance friendly. Spend money to retain a feature that has been inside the Grand Ceremonial House in some shape or fashion for over forty years.

Aesthetically you're taking out the kinetic energy in addition to a key story element that sets the tone for the theme. It would be akin to removing the band/piano at the Grand, the monorail running through then Contemporary. The statue is no weenie.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
So let me get this straight. A company that has specialized for over fifty years in building attractions that have large amounts of water running throughout and permeating from show scenes/figures cannot find a solution to maintain a small water feature inside a hotel lobby?

You should read the post again. The specifics given were a hypothetical example

OG Runner

Really dissappointing, to most is appears, and yet it will happen and we will end up dealing with it. I have stayed at the Polynesian twice before and always make a least one dinner reservation at Ohana. At least a few photos are taken at the fountain. Really dissappointed.

fractal

And here is a pic of one I got from the petition. I bet @fractal has some really good ones, he was there last summer.

Thanks for the props!

Here are a few shots I took - please excuse my son in the first one. He's thinks he's funny.

The water feature made a nice backdrop for portrait type photos...

_DSC4455-XL.jpg

_DSC4453-XL.jpg

This is not the best pic but you can get a sense for how much a part of the lobby the WF is...

_DSC4456-XL.jpg

_DSC6976-XL.jpg

_DSC6984-XL.jpg

If I would have known I would never see it again I would have taken more pictures. :(

_DSC6998-XL.jpg

and finally, here I am in front of the WF.

_DSC7008-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Spike-in-Berlin

in 2010 I stayed at the Polynesian for nearly a week, finally fulfilling a livelong childhood dream. I have never even visited the Poly before because I only wanted to see it, when I finally could afford to stay there without having to save money for it over months or years (I am not a saving-money-guy). We didn't stay there again in the following years however because we wanted to see other deluxe resorts as well and the Poly rooms were quite disappointing concerning cleanliness and mousekeeping. Especially when they charge such high prices.
When I arrived with my GF the setting was just perfect, we came from the boiling hot parking lot and entered a lush and green tropical paradise. When we entered the lobby 4-5 CMs stood in front of the waterfall, saying "Aloha" and handing out leis to us. It was like arriving in Hawaii. The waterfalls where the perfect background to this scene and it was an absolutely unforgettable moment, it was exactly like I had pictured the scene in my mind, since I had seen the "Polynesian Village" in 1982 for the first time and told my mother (we couldn't afford staying there, the Dollar was at an exchange rate to the DM of 3.15 in those days) that one day I would stay there with my family. OK there was no family, "only" my GF but it was a special moment and the mini-jungle with the waterfalls, the sound, the smell, played a vital role in the immersion.
I am SO glad, that I payed the money and stayed there in 2010 because after the "defurbishing" in typical TDO-style (remove important elements of the experience and increase prices at the same time, flanked by even more stupid propaganda-blabla) , this scene will be impossible to happen! And I am so glad that I videotaped every element of the present lobby to the last, because in a short time it will be gone forever.

pixargal

Thanks for the props!

Here are a few shots I took - please excuse my son's in the first one. He's thinks he's funny.

_DSC4455-XL.jpg

_DSC4453-XL.jpg

This is not the best pic but you can get a sense for how much a part of the lobby the WF is...

_DSC4456-XL.jpg

_DSC6976-XL.jpg

_DSC6984-XL.jpg

If I would have known I would never see it again I would have taken more pictures. :(

_DSC6998-XL.jpg

_DSC7008-XL.jpg
Great photos, thanks for sharing. BTW, your shirt is fantastic! I must find one for DH

Marc Gil

Thanks for the props!

Here are a few shots I took - please excuse my son in the first one. He's thinks he's funny.

_DSC4455-XL.jpg

_DSC4453-XL.jpg

_DSC4456-XL.jpg

_DSC6976-XL.jpg

_DSC6984-XL.jpg

_DSC6998-XL.jpg

_DSC7008-XL.jpg
*sigh* I'm sure going to miss those waterfalls....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom