PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

El Grupo

I suspect that there is either something more to the Tiki fountain in the lobby and/or they will update the tiki fountain to be something a little more reminiscent of the current fountain before all is said or done.

I agree. Considering how often designs evolve after a concept has been released for public consumption, I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney make several changes and adopt a "new" water feature much more similar to what is in place today before construction begins.

GrammieBee

Just so you know,I have nothing against having a drink or two. However, I have to ask, why does anyone find it necessary to take their child into a bar in the first place? Is it to teach him or her that drinking in a bar is a form of entertainment?

dgp602

I suspect that there is either something more to the Tiki fountain in the lobby and/or they will update the tiki fountain to be something a little more reminiscent of the current fountain before all is said or done.

However, it is important for folks to remember that some of the very strong theming that exists at Poly and at some parts of WL is actually off putting to the target audiences. They want a taste of the theme, not to be smacked upside the head with it.
Then to those I say, stay somewhere else. If you come to Disney and expect NOT to be immersed in a particular theme, then you didn't do your research....

GrammieBee

In answer to xdan0920.
Possibly. Having worked with teenagers and young adults for over thirty years, I found that a very large percentage of them think that the only purpose of drinking is to get as drunk as possible. Im not sure what being in a bar teaches a child about drinking.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
In answer to xdan0920.
Possibly. Having worked with teenagers and young adults for over thirty years, I found that a very large percentage of them think that the only purpose of drinking is to get as drunk as possible. Im not sure what being in a bar teaches a child about drinking.

Not that this is the best place for a debate on this issue, but, I don't think it teaches them anything. Most teens/young adults drink to get drunk. I can't see any correlation between that type of behavior, and a parent ordering their kid a tiki themed non alcoholic beverage at the bar in a hotel lobby that they are staying at.

71jason

However, I have to ask, why does anyone find it necessary to take their child into a bar in the first place? Is it to teach him or her that drinking in a bar is a form of entertainment?

The more I look at the picture, the more I'm convinced it depicts a short-haired woman in a red dress, not a kid. But it was an unfortunate choice for the artist to make.

ryguy

A pro football coach ( whom you and I know) once said..... " I love the fans....but if I listen to them, and act upon according to what they say. I too will end up being a fan"

Like the quote and it certainly applies to sports. But I think it doesn't really apply to this topic. To me this a new coke vs original formula coke analogy. I think if there is enough push back from the customers businesses do listen. In the end the customer is usually right. Hopefully Disney will reconsider, instead of being smug. Disney doesn't have the greatest record of being right all the time. For example: mission space, imagination, the sorcerers hat, Animal Kingdom I could keep going.

DougK

They really don't. I don't get this logic.

Well my post apparently did not "make the cut" on the Disney Blog site so I guess they agree with you.

And just to clarify a bit I don't mean that they legally owe us an explanation, it's more of a moral thing. They shouldn't have to always be compelled by law to do the right thing, I think in this case it would just be good customer service to explain their thinking to us, after all the guests are what made Disney what it is today - a super successful business - and it should be obvious to them that a large amount of people are emotionally invested in the Polynesian lobby.

GymLeaderPhil

You should read the post again. The specifics given were a hypothetical example
Oh I know those were just you ruminating on a response. We all know you didn't and won't be responsible for removing the lobby feature. Unless there's some monorail footers included with the redesign.

Soarin' Over Pgh

What a disgrace, that blog post...

My original and re-posted comment - gone. Trying to post a shorter, sweeter comment - Error 503.

Disney fascism is in full force.

Yeah my comment never made it to the blog at all. And I tried a simple "please reconsider removing the best part of the lobby" and got an error message as well.

:(

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

What makes you suspect that? Why would they not include it in the artwork? Why would they not want to get visitors excited? I dont see any way how that Tiki statue could be made into something anywhere close to what the WF looks like. Disney is more known for value engineering designs, not improving on the original artwork.

However, it is important for folks to remember that some of the very strong theming that exists at Poly and at some parts of WL is actually off putting to the target audiences. They want a taste of the theme, not to be smacked upside the head with it.

Not sure where to start with this one. Do you have anything that could substantiate this claim? Who is the target audience? People that want to stay at a Hawaii themed resort? Why would anyone book a stay at a polynesian themed resort and be put off by the tropical theme, or same for WL? I cant imagine a person walking into either resort and feeling "put off" by the beauty and detail of it. How is it "smacking them upside the head"? Its not like there is a man twirling a fire baton in your face or simulated rain falling on you. What would qualify as "a taste" of the theme?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom