Food & Wine Festival - Drunkytown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

Oh no, I'm getting really bummed by reading all this! I will be there this Thursday -Sunday for the first time. Well, if it's that bad this will also be my last time too.
It was my post earlier today on another thread that started this:

Friends were at Epcot last night (Saturday, October 12) for Food & Wine Festival (F&WF). They are WDW rookies and I warned them to stay away from Epcot on the weekends. Not believing me ("It's Disney. How bad can it be?" was the quote), they went anyway.

They have two small children and were staying at the Beach Club. After spending the morning at the Magic Kingdom, they went back to their resort to relax at Stormalong Bay and thought it would be fun to stroll over to the World Showcase (WS) for a "relaxing evening in the countries".

It was a disaster.Beyond the sheer masses making it extremely difficult to maneuver, their daughters (ages 3 and 5) were trampled several times by adults that were too drunk to walk straight. They aroma of stale beer and putrid food reminded them of their worst days in college. The free use of profanity was overwhelming.
To their credit, CMs were trying to control the crowds but were largely ignored (or worse) by intoxicated adults, several who seemed to ready to fight over the slightest suggestion to tone it down.

They were so turned off by the "experience" (I wonder if Disney will start issuing FP+ for the new "Get drunk and assaulted" experience at Epcot :banghead:) they just had to call me this morning. Their daughters left in tears. Right now, they never want to bring their children back to WDW.

If Disney was serious about providing family entertainment (you know, the group they target in all their advertising campaigns) they'd get rid of the "wine" portion of F&WF. Especially on weekends, it has deteriorated into such a drunkfest that it's actually dangerous.

Of course, making Epcot spirits-free on weekends would hurt revenue and, as we've come to expect from the current corporate Disney regime, it's always money first. :greedy:

Shame on you Disney, just shame on you.​

As @marni1971 wrote earlier, not only is Disney trumpeting the success of the Food & Drunk Fest, they are trying to turn the Flower & Garden Festival (F&GF) into the same "Ft. Lauderdale Spring Break" mentality.

As @The Mom wrote elsewhere, F&WF once was to a pleasant experience. So was the F&GF. Now it sounds like weekends are a travesty of Disney's core values.

Hell yes it's Disney's fault. They are going out of their way to meeting their revenue targets using liquor, turning a blind eye so they score their bonuses. I feel for the CMs who have to deal with this garbage. They are the ones who should be getting bonuses.

Please let us know how your trip goes. I'm not sure you should brave Epcot on the weekend. Still, my friends are WDW rookies and, up until last night, were having a lot of fun. (They've been calling me throughout their trip, "We are here; what should we do next?" I feel like a tour guide. :)) Maybe as an experienced WDW'er, you'll fare better.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It was my post earlier today on another thread that started this:

Friends were at Epcot last night (Saturday, October 12) for Food & Wine Festival (F&WF). They are WDW rookies and I warned them to stay away from Epcot on the weekends. Not believing me ("It's Disney. How bad can it be?" was the quote), they went anyway.

They have two small children and were staying at the Beach Club. After spending the morning at the Magic Kingdom, they went back to their resort to relax at Stormalong Bay and thought it would be fun to stroll over to the World Showcase (WS) for a "relaxing evening in the countries".

It was a disaster.Beyond the sheer masses making it extremely difficult to maneuver, their daughters (ages 3 and 5) were trampled several times by adults that were too drunk to walk straight. They aroma of stale beer and putrid food reminded them of their worst days in college. The free use of profanity was overwhelming.
To their credit, CMs were trying to control the crowds but were largely ignored (or worse) by intoxicated adults, several who seemed to ready to fight over the slightest suggestion to tone it down.

They were so turned off by the "experience" (I wonder if Disney will start issuing FP+ for the new "Get drunk and assaulted" experience at Epcot :banghead:) they just had to call me this morning. Their daughters left in tears. Right now, they never want to bring their children back to WDW.

If Disney was serious about providing family entertainment (you know, the group they target in all their advertising campaigns) they'd get rid of the "wine" portion of F&WF. Especially on weekends, it has deteriorated into such a drunkfest that it's actually dangerous.

Of course, making Epcot spirits-free on weekends would hurt revenue and, as we've come to expect from the current corporate Disney regime, it's always money first. :greedy:

Shame on you Disney, just shame on you.​

As @marni1971 wrote earlier, not only is Disney trumpeting the success of the Food & Drunk Fest, they are trying to turn the Flower & Garden Festival (F&GF) into the same "Ft. Lauderdale Spring Break" mentality.

As @The Mom wrote elsewhere, F&WF once was to a pleasant experience. So was the F&GF. Now it sounds like weekends are a travesty of Disney's core values.

Hell yes it's Disney's fault. They are going out of their way to meeting their revenue targets using liquor, turning a blind eye so they score their bonuses. I feel for the CMs who have to deal with this garbage. They are the ones who should be getting bonuses.

Please let us know how your trip goes. I'm not sure you should brave Epcot on the weekend. Still, my friends are WDW rookies and, up until last night, were having a lot of fun. (They've been calling me throughout their trip, "We are here; what should we do next?" I feel like a tour guide. :)) Maybe as an experienced WDW'er, you'll fare better.
I certainly would never take a 3 and a 5 yo to WS after MK expecting it to be relaxing....for the Adults MAYBE, but the kids are going to be bored to tears even without the F&B going on. No wonder the kids left in tears.

ParentsOf4

I certainly would never take a 3 and a 5 yo to WS after MK expecting it to be relaxing....for the Adults MAYBE, but the kids are going to be bored to tears even without the F&B going on. No wonder the kids left in tears.
Years ago we'd take our (at the time) young ones to the World Showcase in the late afternoon and evening during the Spring. They loved the World Showcase: shopping, eating, and the Kidcot stops. Later Kim Possible Adventure. Our kids always have been mature beyond their years. We'd take them to a restaurant and, inevitably, someone would stop by complementing us on their behavior, shocked that four youngsters could behave so well.

They like the World Showcase a lot less now. Even they have noticed the increased alcohol consumption over the last 5 years or so.

As was suggested earlier, it seems Disney finds it more profitable putting up cheap booths and opening up the taps rather than investing in Epcot to actually make it more fun. :greedy:

ParentsOf4

I disagree, poor behavior from a choice group of people has turned F&W and F&G into it's current form. That being said, can Disney do a better job at not overserving a person and contributing to the problem? Absolutely.
The issue still revolves around the individual and his or her choice to overindulge. People know what is right and wrong, to me saying the "bartender got me drunk" whether or not it has become a legal issue today is just another example of society looking for an out for their own poor choices and behavior.
Let's not fool ourselves. If serving liquor was not highly profitable, WDW would be dry. For corporate Disney, it's all about the money.

If this were Vegas or even the local pub advertising Oktoberfest, I wouldn't care. Intoxication is to be expected. But this is Disney, a company supposedly about family values. The only thing corporate Disney values is the cash, not much different than any drug dealer. Does that make Disney responsible? Absolutely.

IMHO, Disney is pushing the "wine" aspect a lot more than they used to. Years ago, F&WF used to be a much more pleasant experience, with food being the big draw.

Epcot Vice President Erin Youngs seems rather pleased with herself that this year's Flower & Garden Festival was turned into yet another excuse for excessive drinking.

Disney is intentionally bringing out the booze, turning a blind eye to its consequences.

NearTheEars

We had a good time at F&W, but we went around noon and left around 6 p.m. The alcohol was expensive, but I enjoyed a 22 oz Big Wave Golden Ale from Hawaii in a souvenir mug and then sampled some food around the showcase. My DGF only purchased a few wine samples and we shared a flight of tequila from Mexico.

If you pace yourself you'll have a good time and won't end up a sloppy mess.

By the end of the day we spent about $70. I'm normally very cheap at WDW. We usually pack a backpack of snacks and pick up ice water from the stands during our weekly visits, but I thought it was OK to splurge.

I was surprised not to see more tipsy folks, but again we were there just for the afternoon.

Wikkler

Original Poster
We had a good time at F&W, but we went around noon and left around 6 p.m. The alcohol was expensive, but I enjoyed a 22 oz Big Wave Golden Ale from Hawaii in a souvenir mug and then sampled some food around the showcase. My DGF only purchased a few wine samples and we shared a flight of tequila from Mexico.

If you pace yourself you'll have a good time and won't end up a sloppy mess.

By the end of the day we spent about $70. I'm normally very cheap at WDW. We usually pack a backpack of snacks and pick up ice water from the stands during our weekly visits, but I thought it was OK to splurge.

I was surprised not to see more tipsy folks, but again we were there just for the afternoon.
Evenings are probably the worst time, I'd say mornings are probably the best, then more and more alcoholics show up because they had a hangover from the night before, or something.

mergatroid

Last night was the most boisterous I've ever seen it. There was a smelll of vomit in several places around World Showcase and quite a lot of shouting going on. Whilst this happens around drinking I'd never seen it to this extent at the F & W before. It doesn't really bother me but seemed odd in Disney.

janoimagine

Intoxication is to be expected. But this is Disney, a company supposedly about family values.

Honestly, the true Disney family value died out long ago, look back to the 90's, Mirimax Films for example. What you have today is a company that tries to be all things to all people, and eventually that backfires on you. Disney is a corporation, indebted to it's shareholders, and at the end of the day, your correct, it's about money.

I don't think we are going to agree on this topic, but I still firmly believe that the responsibility lies with the individual when it comes to alcohol, and at $5 to $7 for a 3oz sip of wine, they arent exactly pouring it down your throat or making it fiscally easy to do.

I respect those who chose to be sober, but it's the ones who chose to be sober then go to the extreme of labeling everyone who drinks as an alcoholic that I find the most ... troubling. :D

Wikkler

Original Poster
To elaborate on what I said early on in the thread,
There's a reason why Walt forbid alcohol from Disneyland.
He didn't want drunkards in his park, because he knew how much trouble they can cause, so he banned alcohol.
Walt was right.

alissafalco

Well, I will definitely report back my experience of what happens this weekend. However, Im going on a girls trip, so I will not have my kids with me. So hopefully it will be a little more enjoyable. I probably wont care as much if I hear f-bombs. Also, why dont they just kick the people out who are acting offensive and vomiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom