Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterAlt

If you took the story away from ToT or Splash they would still be two of the most advanced rides of their kind on the planet. I'm not saying taking away show scenes or AAs. I'm talking about story.

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain. None of them have stories yet are 3 of the best attractions ever created. Story matters little.
All those classics have stories. Take away the story from Tower of Terror or Splash and they will not be the same. Both are great because they do a good job telling a story. The thrills are nothing more than story elements. The deep bass that made the theater rumble in Jurassic park is a story element that helped tell the story. You can't have a movie with deep bass and no story.

GLaDOS

All those classics have stories. Take away the story from Tower of Terror or Splash and they will not be the same. Both are great because they do a good job telling a story. The thrills are nothing more than story elements. The deep bass that made the theater rumble in Jurassic park is a story element that helped tell the story. You can't have a movie with deep bass and no story.

Please explain the narrative to HM. You can't because there is none. It's an experience, not a narrative.

Read this. It'll help. http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2006/11/myth-of-story.html

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would not be so quick to make that statement. I know a very casual family who was just in WDW that has not been in seven years. From the mouth of them "Wow, there really is nothing new, merchandise sucks now, and the focus is on these flashing lights for FastPass." I had been talking with them about booking in December a trip for them. They have ZERO interest in it and would rather go to Vegas or try Universal. They are the definition of the casual visitor with disposable income and they have zero desire for any WDW and MM+.
I have some friends there now as well that are very infrequent visitors. I'm curious to get their feel for things when they get back. Disney very well may be setting a standard with Joe Q Public that they can't maintain seeing all the promo stuff that you see on the likes of the travel channel etc.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
We do that too! Ours looks like this:

8:00-1:00 - water park
1:00-5:00 - getting from water to theme park by WDW transport
5:00-midnight - theme park
Aaaaah - we rent a car. And because I book through CAA, we get the Diamond Parking Pass.

The only "hassle" is getting into MK. I try to look at the monorail or the ferry as our first "ride" of the day.

The rest of the parks are a breeze. I've booked a rental for our upcoming September trip (10 days plus 5 hours) for less than $160.

PeterAlt

GLaDOS

I have some friends there now as well that are very infrequent visitors. I'm curious to get their feel for things when they get back. Disney very well may be setting a standard with Joe Q Public that they can't maintain seeing all the promo stuff that you see on the likes of the travel channel etc.

Just as another personal story, but my family has noticed the difference too. They still love the parks, but they all agree it's not what it used to be. EPCOT was once our favorite park. Now we barely bother with it. None of them are big fans of the ADR system. We still enjoy it, but it's certainly not what it was. And even though my family isn't a huge fan of Universal like me (they're not thrill ride people), they have to admit those parks are light years ahead of where they were 10 years ago.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

I have yet to attempt to even bring up MDEMM+FP+ to these people. They asked an employee what the flashing lights were and it was explained to them. They asked the employee "Why would I want to do that so far out?" Simply put they have said they will be spending money on cruises and DLR (where they have been a few times since WDW), and even Vegas. I just find it ironic that the families with disposal income that WDW wants to like this do not. This is the third family I know personally who have been there in the past two months who have said they have no desire to return or plan so far out.

Smiddimizer

All rides have stories. It just so happens that the post-Eisner idea of "story" is that it has to unfold like a movie, the guest one of its characters.

WDWDad13

Just as another personal story, but my family has noticed the difference too. They still love the parks, but they all agree it's not what it used to be. EPCOT was once our favorite park. Now we barely bother with it. None of them are big fans of the ADR system. We still enjoy it, but it's certainly not what it was. And even though my family isn't a huge fan of Universal like me (they're not thrill ride people), they have to admit those parks are light years ahead of where they were 10 years ago.

here's an interesting take on it... my parents... took our family to Disney several times back in the day but never really knew how to plan or make the most of it....when I started going multiple times per year and knew what to do and where to go so we make the most of our time and get the attractions in we want to do... I took them back...and they LOVED it way more than they ever did.

I'm hoping this pre-planning part (for those that try it) will give many better experiences and less stress after they are there

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You are absolutely right, we are in a new generation. This new generation expects everything to be on their iPhone. If it isn't, it is old fashioned. Walking around the park to machines grabbing bits of paper is going to seem very old-hat soon.
So why not let anyone in any park on any day go online and select a virtual fast pass, use it, then select another one? Simply show the app or web screen at the attraction entrance as they show a piece of paper now?

Say I'm in Epcot at 10am and I want a FP for Test Track. I open a free app and select it, it tells me on my iPhone to goto the ride at 4pm and show the app screen. Simple. I'm staying off property, I don't have any jewellery on my wrist, and I don't have to give any details.

PeterAlt

Not sure what you're getting at, practically ALL of Universal's attractions have a story element.
I'm not the one who brought this up, but that's correct about Uni's rides having story elements and this adds strength to my original augment. Uni is more a theme park than say Six Flags partially because of the fact that its rides have story elements.

tirian

I guess we will found out very soon - my feeling is that it will be very popular. Just the fact that guests wont have to walk between FP machines will sway a lot of people. I can very well imagine people at breakfast whipping out the iPhone and picking up some FP+. Much better than charging across the park in a mad dash to a FP machine in a lot of people's eyes.

In this post you describe what FP+ should have been. If only Disney had simply made it digital! It's the obvious successor to the current system.

I participated in the earlier test at the Contemporary, and it's true that the ability to double-dip reserved FPs and new ones was great. But my co-workers tested the full system on a CM-only preview at the Beach Club, and the limits were frustrating. They couldn't gather as many FPs as usual and spent most of their day standing around Epcot.

A few other points—some negative, some positive:
• The FP+ tests at POTC and HM were disastrous, ruining the attractions' previous efficiency.
• Guests were told to make purchases only with their Magic Bands. The bracelets didn't increase sales.
• The eventual goal of NGen is for everything to be completely scheduled in advance—every ride, every character interaction, every meal. FPs themselves would theoretically be phased out because you'd arrive at each attraction at the proper time anyway. Does this solve lines at WDW? It remains to be seen—it certainly sounds like nothing more than a shell game.
• After these tests, nobody in Ops or mid-level management thinks NGen is going to work. Execs are becoming more openly negative. PhotoPass, automatic attraction photos, Talking Mickey, and hotel room keys aren't functioning properly...
• There is a warehouse full of IT nerds trying to fix computer code and scheduling for FP+ and other components of NGen. Much of the budget overrun is directed here right now.
• The upcoming Imagination refurb and DHS reboot should be successful, but Disney is concerned that no matter what they build, crowds will continue to be unwieldy. NGen was popularized among execs as crowd management.
• The data mining angle was mostly phased out after it raised eyebrows in Congress. Yeah, they'll still track your purchases, but it's no worse than how Super Target offers coupons or how Amazon and Netflix make suggestions.
• @wdwmagic You're right. Simply making the current FP system digital would have been a fantastic system. It's too bad Disney didn't roll things out in phases. As it stands, they bit off more than they could chew.

Is FP+ utterly doomed? No, Disney will figure out a way to use it. It just won't be what was planned.

FigmentJedi

That's a fan/CM created story.
With a grain of truth in that in that all of the walkthrough versions that were proposed, the hauntings were centered around a wedding that went wrong from the original story of Captain Blood and Priscilla, to the Walt Disney narrated monster wedding between Monsieur Boogieman and Mme. Vampire and the Bloodmere Manor plots having ghosts trying to recreate a wedding to undo a curse. A wedding backstory was apparently in the Imagineer's heads still when they were making the version we got going off the Bride in the Attic story that Kat Cressida was told as a child by her father who worked for WED at the time.

The version most people are familiar with featuring Master Gracey and Leota as a jilted lover was Cast Member created though. And then it got popular enough that Disney was drawing inspiration from that stuff.

tirian

So why not let anyone in any park on any day go online and select a virtual fast pass, use it, then select another one? Simply show the app or web screen at the attraction entrance as they show a piece of paper now?

Say I'm in Epcot at 10am and I want a FP for Test Track. I open a free app and select it, it tells me on my iPhone to goto the ride at 4pm and show the app screen. Simple. I'm staying off property, I don't have any jewellery on my wrist, and I don't have to give any details.

Original plan: Crowd management (to avoid costly new attractions) and data mining.

New reality that's slowly gaining traction in TDO: Guests expect new attractions and the data mining thing doesn't tell much more than you can already get by tracking a credit card.

RunnerEd

No, Uni won't adopt the same technology. Nor will DLR.

Indications are FP+ is crashing and burning during testing. @t3techcom18 reports "of those who are active in the test, 30% thus far have opted to do anything with FP+ prior to arrival." That's a devastatingly bad number. If anything close to that number holds up, then MyMagic+ will have failed at one of its main objectives, which is to get guests to preplan their vacations so they don't drive up I-4 and visit a theme park that's building new, exciting attractions. If that participation rate continues, MyMagic+ will become the biggest boondoggle in the history of WDW.

FP+ requires a lot of preplanning. Many really enjoy that preplanning but, based on FP+ results so far, most don't. It's common sense. Most don't want to treat their vacations like homework assignments.

@t3techcom18 is writing some absolutely fascinating posts on the current round of testing. I strongly suggest you read his latest posts.

I'll probably use it so that I can condense my "must do's" into 3 days, drive back to my AKL villa, take a break, and head to Uni for 3 days. It will make condensing my trip very easy!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm not the one who brought this up, but that's correct about Uni's rides having story elements and this adds strength to my original augment. Uni is more a theme park than say Six Flags partially because of the fact that its rides have story elements.

Apologies, I mis-interpreted your reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom