Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixiedustmaker

This is fabulous to know. Thank you so very much for that. Whew! What a relief!

I'd take that rumor with a grain of salt. MagicBands/NextGen is making the company money, and saving money, and guests like the convenience, they're not for everybody, but a lot of people would like the ease of booking FP ahead of time, not having to wait in line for a FastPass, and more easily completing transactions in the park. It is being touted as a success, don't know why it won't come to Disneyland as planned . . .

rioriz

No Kool Aid, here. We first stayed at Portofino when it opened and it continues to be excellent. To get a resort room at a third of the price of GF with our Uni AP, it's rather hard to argue about what's a better deal and if the rooms were the same price, I'd still take Portofino.

Contrary to our last WDW resort stay in 2011 when we had an issue of something that had gone missing (long story) and the response was basically tough ----. After that, not a dime will ever go to their resorts. An exec. tried to clean up the mess after we returned home, but it was too little, too late.

It all comes down to preference, but don't make it seem like people have jumped in the Uni train because it is quote unquote cool, rather that they are providing a superior product today.[/quote

It would be remiss to say this board, and look at my join date, is more anti Disney pro Uni than ever before. I am a former worker, but no "Pixie Duster". And I will say it is the "cool", "popular" thing to be anti Disney now. Just look at the responses to people who do speak well of WDW get. This is not to say WDW doesn't deserve the criticsm at all. So again, while on these boards people have informed, legitimate, viewpoints, on the outside WDW still offers a great product that is far from dwindling down to second rate. Outside this board, as WDW74 said, Disney is still the worldwide leader and I hope Uni continues to grow and offer competition. But I will stand by that people jump on the train just cause it is the thing to do...the mob mentalitly

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

I'd take that rumor with a grain of salt. MagicBands/NextGen is making the company money, and saving money, and guests like the convenience, they're not for everybody, but a lot of people would like the ease of booking FP ahead of time, not having to wait in line for a FastPass, and more easily completing transactions in the park. It is being touted as a success, don't know why it won't come to Disneyland as planned . . .

Booking fast passes ahead of time would be the ONE thing that would be the deal breaker for us. Firm as firm can be. I hate the very notion with such vehemence I can solemnly say...without a shadow of a doubt...we would absolutely stand behind the words...that when the day comes that fast passes can only be booked ahead of time online I will not go there. Will NOT. With complete absolution. Not. That's entirely too far and crosses the line into stupid for me. So, hopefully, pre-booked fast passes will never become the only fast passes in California. I'm holding out hope.

Pixiedustmaker

I am IT guy for a large fortune 500 company.... the idea and thoughts behind the RFID and NextGen "stuff" to me is brilliant...and Disney is ahead of the game (compared to other theme parks) trying to pull this off. Because of this...they are learning as they go because they have nothing to go by in some regards.

I have no doubt, the RFID and NextGen can be a MAJOR hit with fans and for Disney's bank account... IF and only IF it is designed well, implemented well, supported well, and constantly updated as needed. They CAN do this... and they CAN make a big splash in to Disney innovation with this whole concept... it just needs the right management behind it and support from the CM's and fans to give it a shot.

Too many poo-poo'd on it because of cost right from the beginning thinking it was "taking away from designing new attractions" etc. when in some ways this IS an attraction in and of itself.

It is ahead of the curve, it used to be that grocery stores were more automated than hospitals and some companies, then they caught up. The $1 billion price tag is for all Disney resorts worldwide, so for WDW it is probably $175 million to $200 million, plus, the whole system relieves pressure on the old paper FP machines (more people using paperless means less cost), and less moving parts in the hotel room locks, plus it is an attraction itself.

Bravo! Most detractors don't get it that families with even modest computer skills will be able to use the system, and learn to love it, especially if they are repeat customers. It isn't a secret that MagicBand makes buying merch. much more easy, (shorter lines at shops means it is easier to guy stuff), and that Disney will make a killing, or at least enough to get their money back in probably 2 or so years, but Disney is in it for long-term game, I can see families getting addicted to this technology.

Having an iphone/smart phone app will probably happen as this will save Disney more money as you wouldn't need to use their screens to check when you FP reservations are

Pixiedustmaker

Booking fast passes ahead of time would be the ONE thing that would be the deal breaker for us. Firm as firm can be. I hate the very notion with such vehemence I can solemnly say...without a shadow of a doubt...we would absolutely stand behind the words...that when the day comes that fast passes can only be booked ahead of time online I will not go there. Will NOT. With complete absolution. Not. That's entirely too far and crosses the line into stupid for me. So, hopefully, pre-booked fast passes will never become the only fast passes in California. I'm holding out hope.

There is still paper FPs. Use it as much, or as little, as you like. If you've been to DLR recently, you know that RSR is a pain to get a FP for, there is often a line stretching around half the park . . . for the fast pass. If you want to wait in line, more power to you, I'm perfectly happy with booking a RSR fastpass and not having to race to get one!

I'm sure you can book online, then cancel if you want, and change your FP when in the park. I think MagicBand-FP is easier than paper FP's to keep track of, especially if they come out with a smart phone app. I'm going to love standing in line for Mr. Toad and using my iPhone to schedule a fast pass for what is availabl for four hours from that point, and then scheduling it in line! Have fun racing around to see what still has FPs available . . .

With paper FastPass . . . how are you supposed to cancel it? I think that MagicBands make FP acquistion and changes more flexible and spontaneous.

Remeber FPs is always non-spontaneous, you have to come back *hours* later . . .

TP2000

Booking fast passes ahead of time would be the ONE thing that would be the deal breaker for us.... That's entirely too far and crosses the line into stupid for me. So, hopefully, pre-booked fast passes will never become the only fast passes in California. I'm holding out hope.

Yup, completely agree.

I use WDW like a tourist (only go every couple years, stay onsite for days, try and make every hour count, adore Epcot) and I use Disneyland like a local (have an AP, go every few weeks, only stay for a few hours and only do a few fave things, used to trash DCA but now love it).

And as much as I dislike it thus far, I can see the financial merits of MyMagic+ for some of the WDW demographic and can understand why totally out-of-touch ladder climbers like Nick Franklin would like it while he simultaneously gives a flying leap about what Walt used to call "the show" inside the parks.

That said, I could see how MyMagic+ could work for a big slice of the WDW tourist demographic (seasoned super-planners), while being utterly confusing and damaging to another big slice of the WDW tourist demographic (unseasoned amateurs who didn't plan their vacation like the invasion of Normandy).

But I can not see how it's going to work for a big chunk of the Disneyland demographic (local day trippers or Annual Passholders). It would just never work, and will infuriate them once they figure out how much it screws them over. It's a cliche' that Disneyland is a locals-only park, as on my last Disneyland visit a week ago I heard accents and languages ranging from Sydney to Seoul to Seattle to Tokyo to Edinburgh. But the many folks visiting Disneyland from overseas are just using a day or three on their larger West Coast USA vacation that doesn't involve Disney in the planning process. That's the difference between Anaheim and Orlando; Disneyland is made up of locals or domestic and foreign tourists who didn't go through a Disney go.com website to book their entire vacation.

MyMagic+ could work for a chunk of the WDW visitor base, kind of. At least enough for Nick Franklin to use it on his resume' even if he has to leave Disney suddenly in 2014 to "spend more time with family" after MyMagic+ fails to live up to the promise.

But they could NEVER get MyMagic+ to work for Disneyland. Ever. Never. Or at least not without alienating and infuriating a majority of the people who visit Disneyland and DCA each day. They must be able to see that in Burbank. And if they don't see that, then now is a very good time to sell your Disney stock because this won't end well for the Walt Disney Company.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

The 'net is a breeding ground for folks who want to learn new ways to scam Disney, like by becoming a Lifestyle Blogger. But to hear it from a 22-year-old kid without prompting sorta tells you all you need to know.

Anyway, back to my Earl of Sandwich leftovers while you ponder/comment on that.

We may need to redefine the term "lifestyler" after my night.... just saying.

Pixiedustmaker

It would be remiss to say this board, and look at my join date, is more anti Disney pro Uni than ever before. I am a former worker, but no "Pixie Duster". And I will say it is the "cool", "popular" thing to be anti Disney now. Just look at the responses to people who do speak well of WDW get. This is not to say WDW doesn't deserve the criticsm at all. So again, while on these boards people have informed, legitimate, viewpoints, on the outside WDW still offers a great product that is far from dwindling down to second rate. Outside this board, as WDW74 said, Disney is still the worldwide leader and I hope Uni continues to grow and offer competition. But I will stand by that people jump on the train just cause it is the thing to do...the mob mentalitly

There's almost an alternate reality on this board, where WDW is completely malicious and NextGen is a nefarious means of gathering data, and Uni has somehow transcended WDW . . . Potterland is cool, Disney was wrong to lose JK Rowling, but they've got Star Wars and it isn't like a major attraction, Seven Dwarf Mine Train hasn't been built, I'm going to love checking out BoG, ETwB, and 7DMT . . . and I'm a guy who you'd think would have been more excited about stuff like the Test Track refurb. Disney is doing some stuff right, not a fan of Avatar, but there are some awesome things happening with New Fantasyland, can't have a new land open every year.

MagicBands/NextGen is a success financially, and think that WDW is appropriately (given the Epcot heritage) a trend setter here.

PhotoDave219

Here's the thing with the Uni vs Disney arguments: We just want Disney to care about the parks and reinvest in them the way Comcast is dedicating itself to their parks.

Thats all. Its that simple. No limited time magic, no free dining, no bells, whistles, D23, hoopla, disney lifestyler or other BS about it... we just want the parks taken care of and reinvested in. We'd like some foresight and stewardship.....

.... because that (POOH!) isnt happening lately.

Skip

It is ahead of the curve, it used to be that grocery stores were more automated than hospitals and some companies, then they caught up. The $1 billion price tag is for all Disney resorts worldwide, so for WDW it is probably $175 million to $200 million, plus, the whole system relieves pressure on the old paper FP machines (more people using paperless means less cost), and less moving parts in the hotel room locks, plus it is an attraction itself.

Bravo! Most detractors don't get it that families with even modest computer skills will be able to use the system, and learn to love it, especially if they are repeat customers. It isn't a secret that MagicBand makes buying merch. much more easy, (shorter lines at shops means it is easier to guy stuff), and that Disney will make a killing, or at least enough to get their money back in probably 2 or so years, but Disney is in it for long-term game, I can see families getting addicted to this technology.

Having an iphone/smart phone app will probably happen as this will save Disney more money as you wouldn't need to use their screens to check when you FP reservations are

You sound like the desperate scapegoat trying to justify this 3 billion dollar mess. You have no idea what you're talking about. The minor conveniences you get out of this system (which I'll add do not outweigh the multitude of major tech headaches and screwups the system creates) do not justify the ridiculous 2-3 billion dollar expenditure. No family is gonna get addicted to this technology unless they're literally insane - or you, I guess.

Pixiedustmaker

You sound like the desperate scapegoat trying to justify this 3 billion dollar mess. You have no idea what you're talking about. The minor conveniences you get out of this system (which I'll add do not outweigh the multitude of major tech headaches and screwups the system creates) do not justify the ridiculous 2-3 billion dollar expenditure. No family is gonna get addicted to this technology unless they're literally insane - or you, I guess.

NextGen doesn't cost $3 billion, it hasn't even been completely rolled out yet as the $1 billion is for all Disney parks worldwide, and some stuff hasn't been added to WDW yet, but probably will get there in time. Disney spends tons of money on maintaining FP machines, and hotel room locks, and NextGen is part of replacing an antiquated infrastructure. For WDW, MagicBand/NextGen is probably around $175 millon, that is probably WDW's slice of the $1 billion dollar pie. It is already a success and making WDW money. Who wouldn't want to schedule FP via a smart phone or MagicBand? Sounds fun to me, is everybody on this board a luddite?

Virtual FastPass lines, shorter lines at ODV and shops, more customization . . . I'll *love* it when it comes to Disneyland.

Computer tech doesn't cost as much as it did three decades ago, maybe then you could say it costs $1 billion for WDW!

The future begins today.

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

There is still paper FPs. Use it as much, or as little, as you like. If you've been to DLR recently, you know that RSR is a pain to get a FP for, there is often a line stretching around half the park . . . for the fast pass. If you want to wait in line, more power to you, I'm perfectly happy with booking a RSR fastpass and not having to race to get one!

I'm sure you can book online, then cancel if you want, and change your FP when in the park. I think MagicBand-FP is easier than paper FP's to keep track of, especially if they come out with a smart phone app. I'm going to love standing in line for Mr. Toad and using my iPhone to schedule a fast pass for what is availabl for four hours from that point, and then scheduling it in line! Have fun racing around to see what still has FPs available . . .

With paper FastPass . . . how are you supposed to cancel it? I think that MagicBands make FP acquistion and changes more flexible and spontaneous.

Remeber FPs is always non-spontaneous, you have to come back *hours* later . . .

I have not been to DLR but I do know of the situation with RSR's fastpass lines. The idea of "booking" a FP is nice enough...provided you know what day you'll be there months ahead of time and enjoy having your days scripted. I don't want to be tethered to my smartphone on vacation. I enjoy going on cruises because I can legit turn it off and call it done. Standing in line for Mr. Toad's while you're scheduling your next fastpasses on the fly is a nice notion...provided there's any available for what you want (since the popular ones will be long-since sold-out) and you've not exceeded your few alloted each day (because 3 is your new limit). I don't want to "cancel" fast passes. If I had some I couldn't use then I gave them away. And I am NOT wearing one of those ridiculous bracelets. Not happening. Ever. It's these limitations that I don't want to deal with. I want to roll on the fly. We've never ran the parks chasing down fastpasses. If we happened upon something with a longish line and the current return time fit for us we'd get a FP. Otherwise, we kept moving. But again, we rolled on the fly. I don't want my days scripted before I get there. I don't want to write the script during the day. I don't enjoy the over-planning. Does not appeal in a big way. If I can't arrive with a few basics under my sleeve and manage a good day then it's work and I'm not interested. That simple.

Captain Neo

There's almost an alternate reality on this board, where WDW is completely malicious and NextGen is a nefarious means of gathering data, and Uni has somehow transcended WDW . . . Potterland is cool, Disney was wrong to lose JK Rowling, but they've got Star Wars and it isn't like a major attraction, Seven Dwarf Mine Train hasn't been built, I'm going to love checking out BoG, ETwB, and 7DMT . . . and I'm a guy who you'd think would have been more excited about stuff like the Test Track refurb. Disney is doing some stuff right, not a fan of Avatar, but there are some awesome things happening with New Fantasyland, can't have a new land open every year.

MagicBands/NextGen is a success financially, and think that WDW is appropriately (given the Epcot heritage) a trend setter here.

On what planet is seven dwarf mine train a "major attraction"??

Also it's hilarious that you quite Tony Baxter yet defend what Disney has been doing with the parks. Baxter was very much against what has been going on with their handling of parks & resorts which was a big reason why he left. He felt it was a lost cause with the current way of thinking.

Longhairbear

If it were ANY company but Disney you would see mass casualties in the exec ranks. Everyone from Nick Franklin and Jim MacPhee to Jay Resulo and Tom Staggs would have their exec headhunter on speed dial.

Th8s will cost multiples of what it was expected to, will not drive revenue like Disney promised the Board and will never be fully implemented as originally planned. It also won,t be exported to Anaheim and Paris as planned either.
Thank goodness we won't get it here in California!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom