Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

I learned that lesson the hard way. Also, kids. Kids are expensive. And my kids could care less if daddy has an Xbox 360 or an XBox One or an Atari 2600 for that matter.
And I usually only wait a year if the Black Friday sales is decent. If it isn't it will be a good hundred off the original price the next year

lebeau

Thanks Mom!:)

I missed whatever got my old pal PM booted in the first place. If anyone has the inside scoop, could you PM me? It was very anticlimactic missing the end of that story.

Edit: Thanks to those who shared the scoop. Wish I had been there.

lebeau

All I'm interested in is the September launch of GTA V. That will work on my existing PS3. I have no need for a new gaming system anytime soon.

At the risk of revealing how uncool I am, I have been playing a lot of Sims 3 lately. Just got all the expansion packs up through Supernatural for cheap. Waiting for Seasons to go on sale.

Yeah, I'm lame.

Calvin Coolidge

WB needs to get on making a great Wonder Woman movie I can take my daughters to! (Probably shouldn’t have rejected Whedon’s script. Hope someone got fired over that.)

A lot of insiders have said that Whedon's Wonder Woman script was terrible.

Wonder Woman might actually be "unfilmable" for a number of reasons - she's got kind of a goofy backstory that's constantly being retconned and re-written, the entire idea of Themyscira doesn't really make sense with everyone else's backstories...There's a real possibility that Wondy will have to be introduced in a Justice League movie, then have a solo movie that pretty much ignores backstory.

lebeau

A lot of insiders have said that Whedon's Wonder Woman script was terrible.

Wonder Woman might actually be "unfilmable" for a number of reasons - she's got kind of a goofy backstory that's constantly being retconned and re-written, the entire idea of Themyscira doesn't really make sense with everyone else's backstories...There's a real possibility that Wondy will have to be introduced in a Justice League movie, then have a solo movie that pretty much ignores backstory.

I went looking and I couldn't find a script or even a summary on-line. A lot of people don't get Whedon's scripts. Look what they did with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And apparently Alien 4. Until I read an awful WW script, I am going to assume WB screwed up letting him go to the Avengers instead.

WW unfilmable? Ridiculous. Difficult to pull off? Sure. For lots of reasons. But so is Superman. The right person (and I'm guessing Whedon was one of the right people) can pull it off.

I don't think the backstory is anywhere near as difficult to pull off as you're suggesting. I have seen it adapted well enough a few times. The direct-to-video WW animated feature does a great job telling the origin story. I would go see a live action version of that right now.

My concern is that a live action JLA movie with no build up will be an unholy mess. And then we won't get any of the solo movies. I understand not wanting to gamble on an Aquaman or Martian Manhunter movie. But if WB can't make a successful WW movie, they should fire their studio head and find someone who can.

luv

Nope. If its more than 24 hours after its original airing, spoilers alerts need not apply.

If you dont want it ruined, then you need to find a way to see it after its aired.
I guess someone complained about spoilers, lol?

I do not subscribe to the idea that people cannot, months or years after something aired, discuss it because someone, somewhere, might be just starting to watch.

I have a friend who just started watching the Sopranos. This "spoiler" requirement cannot go on ad infinitum.

If you're months or years behind and you don't want to know what is coming, don't read about it. I'll give people a day or a week, but after that, they're on their own to avoid hearing about something they didn't bother to see.

NoChesterHester

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jun/11/man-steel-hollywood-break-superheroes

Or when Bob Iger will learn that superhero movies, like the comics they're based on, are cyclical.

What an unbelievably elitist article. It isn't often that something makes my skin crawl. This successfully did just that.

Joe Queenan mentions the word "fascist" five times, but obviously has a very different definition of the word. There are some big personal bones to pick here. It is an opinion piece, but reads like it is laced with contempt for us rubes that enjoy the escapism that an action movie entails. A superhero movie after all is really just the 2010's version of a Stallone battlefest.

-----

"At heart, all superheroes are Republicans."

Ah, we get to the heart of the matter. I really don't understand this however since the republican party pretty strongly stands in the corner behind the protective services and military parts of our government. If the government is inept, and most of these movies show the police and military as the ones truly inept, then how is this some sort of republican mouthpiece? Quite a bit more pent up personal opinion spilling over into a rant piece.

-----

Also, as typical with movie critics, there is a lot of revisionist history piled in here. Avengers was an "aimless hodgepodge" and these movies are "sucking the life out of motion pictures." Sounds like elitist sour grapes. The sheeple can't possibly enjoy something that is actually good, only art house style films on esoteric subjects should be popular.

He touches on it briefly toward the end, but instead the vast majority of it comes across as a fest. Perhaps we need this escapism right now. Things have deteriorated in many facets of society and many of us don't really know how to fix it.

Of course art imitates society, the message has to change for the times.

-----

"Some people will read all this and say: "You're over-intellectualising. You're reading too much into it." This may be true. But these charges are always made by people who never over-intellectualise anything, who never read too much into things."

Says it all about this elitist author's mindset.

lebeau

It's only "unfilmable" because the lead is a female and Hollywood won't touch it. Ludicrous backstory didn't stop Thor from getting made. Would anyone care to tally up the solo female superhero films? Haven't seen any on the Marvel slate.

Exactly. There is a huge untapped potential. I have a 4-year-old who loves Wonder Woman almost as much as she loves Ariel. Put out a decent movie and you could add a lot of converts. But Hollywood is so backwards in its thinking. Every time a female-lead movie flops, Hollywood takes it as proof that people hate female action heroes. Whoever is the first to put out a decent female super hero movie (Catwoman and Supergirl don't count) is going to do very well. And it should be WW. Don't let Marvel beat you to the punch, Time Warner!

I want Nicholas Winding Refn's Wonder Woman to be made. Christina Hendricks, his first choice, would be an amazing WW.
http://screenrant.com/christina-hendricks-wonder-woman-benm-131853/

Where do I buy my ticket?

@lebeau I'd go with PS4. Cheaper, better exclusives, and no restrictions. In fact I preordered mine at Gamestop earlier :)

The price point basically ends the debate. I'm not spending $500 on an Xbox. My wife would kill me.

djlaosc

WW unfilmable? Ridiculous. Difficult to pull off? Sure. For lots of reasons. But so is Superman. The right person (and I'm guessing Whedon was one of the right people) can pull it off.

I don't think the backstory is anywhere near as difficult to pull off as you're suggesting. I have seen it adapted well enough a few times. The direct-to-video WW animated feature does a great job telling the origin story. I would go see a live action version of that right now.

My concern is that a live action JLA movie with no build up will be an unholy mess. And then we won't get any of the solo movies. I understand not wanting to gamble on an Aquaman or Martian Manhunter movie. But if WB can't make a successful WW movie, they should fire their studio head and find someone who can.

The CW are redeveloping their pilot (Amazon) for next season, so a Wonder Woman TV show has been in development for three seasons now (2011-2012, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014).
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/...orders-other-post-upfront-notes-417312/10382/
"It is being redeveloped. We're waiting for the script to come in. We have not seen it yet." Adding, "We are preparing to pilot it off-cycle should the script be what we want it to be. We do not want to produce something that doesn't work for that particular character. It is the trickiest of all the DC characters to get done." Aron Eli Coleite is penning said effort, replacing Allan Heinberg.

Animaniac93-98

Don't forget Flash too, and the possibility of Green Lantern already getting a reboot because the recent movie tanked so hard. Amazing to think that out of all of DCs characters it's Green Arrow thats seen recent success outside of Batman, if only on TV (and I know not everybody loves it, but it got renewed for a second season). Would they put Stephen Amell in a JLA movie?

Ludicrous backstory didn't stop Thor from getting made.

No kidding. I was going to say this if you hadn't.

lebeau

The CW are redeveloping their pilot (Amazon) for next season, so a Wonder Woman TV show has been in development for three seasons now (2011-2012, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014).
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/...orders-other-post-upfront-notes-417312/10382/
"It is being redeveloped. We're waiting for the script to come in. We have not seen it yet." Adding, "We are preparing to pilot it off-cycle should the script be what we want it to be. We do not want to produce something that doesn't work for that particular character. It is the trickiest of all the DC characters to get done." Aron Eli Coleite is penning said effort, replacing Allan Heinberg.

I have seen that and I'm not terribly optimistic. Smallville was fun for a while, but never very good. I have heard Arrow is basically Smallville mixed with Nolan's Batman.

We don't have the CW as part of our satellite package (simply amazing considering how many channels we do have). I would add it if a WW show gets on the air. Although the premise sounds less than inspiring. My understanding is it would take place before Diana becomes WW.

Clever Name

I guess someone complained about spoilers, lol?

I do not subscribe to the idea that people cannot, months or years after something aired, discuss it because someone, somewhere, might be just starting to watch.

I have a friend who just started watching the Sopranos. This "spoiler" requirement cannot go on ad infinitum.

If you're months or years behind and you don't want to know what is coming, don't read about it. I'll give people a day or a week, but after that, they're on their own to avoid hearing about something they didn't bother to see.
Yeah, but just think about the people that are returning from long prison sentences. They've paid their debt to society and now they're trying to meld back into the fabric of that same society and readjust to social norms. Then BAM, they hear that one of their role models has been ratted out by the DEA on a message board. I think we should do our best to help ex cons to become productive and law abiding members of our community.

I just think it's better to let people learn about things like the Easter Bunny in their own time. Just imagine if someone told you that Sookie had lost her fairy powers, turned into a shifter, was addicted to V and became the proprietor of the local house of ill repute in Bon Temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom