DHS CARS LAND

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I hear ya!

People rave about FLE's looks. But can you imagine how good FL would've looked like if instead of rocks they had build the place to look like a mediaeval European village? Of World Showcase / New Orleans Square quality?

Instead...
...grey rocks for BatB...
...red rocks for Mermaid...
...brown rocks for 7 Dwarf Coaster...
...orange rocks for Tangled...

:confused:

Terrible theming. Brown rocks for Tangled seems obvious. :lookaroun

The Empress Lilly

just make the monsters inc coaster! ;)
I wish there wouldn't be a Pixar area in DHS.

But if they must then why not Monsters indeed! Better than Cars Land 2. Although Brave would be my first choice.

DL might end up with a Cars area, WDW with Monsters, and DLP with Ratatouille. Somewhat cool. :)

The Duck

I know you may not believe me but even 74 says new stuff is on the way.
Actually I DO believe that good things are coming to WDW and hopefully soon. The point I was making is that the Powers That Be haven't exactly been taking care of the Florida Project as they should in recent years.
Is George K. a sign of a turning point? I hope so. But until we get official word about something substantial at DHS and elsewhere around the World, I have to remain cautiously optimistic instead of climbing the walls with glee.

ctxak98

I am not saying the rockwork is bad at carsland at all! I think it looks great! I am just saying in DHS it would not work! It would feel out of place so I would rather them just NOT add it. I guess you could make it feel more like a set but lets face it. We ALL know that Cars is not a real life film and was not shot on a film set...seems kind of ridiculous IMO

Californian Elitist

Seriously... the mountain range MAKES Cars Land what it is! Nobody walks down that little Route 66 and says, "I can't believe I'm standing next to Sarge's Surplus Hut!" You turn the corner to walk down Route 66, and the whole scene is what hits you. You see that massive mountain range behind the town just like it was in the movie; it's awesome. The Cadillac Range is part of the town; it's not just a bas relief facade stuck on a giant show building. You walk through the rocks in the Racers queue. You enter under a rock arch if you're coming from Pacific Wharf. You curl around the iconic butte during the outdoor portion of Racers. You NEED the rocks!

RIGHT?!

TP2000

While I agree that $300 million for a ride is ridiculous, RSR was $350 million - and that seems to be the going rate these days for a great E ticket.

And if that's what it cost, it was worth every penny, and more.

Just look what it did for DCA, after they'd already spent 750 Million on other projects and rides and shows fixing the park up over the last four years. RSR pushed it all over the edge, and it now has everyone west of the Rockies (and a few Midwesterners and East Coasters) talking about it and planning their next trip to Disneyland.

350 Million? Worth every penny.

PeterAlt

And if that's what it cost, it was worth every penny, and more.

Just look what it did for DCA, after they'd already spent 750 Million on other projects and rides and shows fixing the park up over the last four years. RSR pushed it all over the edge, and it now has everyone west of the Rockies (and a few Midwesterners and East Coasters) talking about it and planning their next trip to Disneyland.

350 Million? Worth every penny.
I couldn't agree more. I just hope the bean counters see this and realize that the big increase in DCA attendence can be repeated elsewhere by doing the same thing... Let the Imagineers do their jobs and give them the budget they require.

TP2000

Either build a full CL, or nothing at all. I can see a single Cars ride, if they must. But I'm afraid that will only be unfavorably compared with the full CL in DCA, so I would avoid that.

Agreed.

And if they turn RSR into a humble D Ticket and cut out the mountains, what would be the point exactly?

They already messed up the WDW version of Pirates of the Caribbean 40 years ago by cloning it quick and cheap and cutting out 8 minutes of the ride and offering a Cliff's Notes version from Disneyland. In the Internet Age, if they do a smaller and cheaper version of Radiator Springs Racers, it's not going to be the fix for DHS that they need.

They need to go BIG here, not scale back and ask East Coast audiences to settle for a budget D Ticket instead of the real E Ticket that everyone is talking about.

|Q|

I am not saying the rockwork is bad at carsland at all! I think it looks great! I am just saying in DHS it would not work! It would feel out of place so I would rather them just NOT add it. I guess you could make it feel more like a set but lets face it. We ALL know that Cars is not a real life film and was not shot on a film set...seems kind of ridiculous IMO

I'm not a fan of cloning, and i would prefer something different in DHS, but... why do you say it would not fit? because is themed too well? :O

Cosmic Commando

Not sure what the cost of Carsland in Cali has to do with whether or not they will clone it at WDW but I am sure you are making a point about something.
C'mon dude... I know you can connect these dots! You said this about Cars Land:
It is quite likely the foundation work required to duplicate it in Florida makes that impossible. Please find another dead horse to beat.
... completely ignoring the fact that the original Cars Land is built in one of the most famously earthquake-prone areas in the world? If you can build it along the San Andreas fault, you can build it in a swamp.

Why duplicate perfection rather than creating new perfection. da Vinci did not keep painting copies of the Mona Lisa. He made one and moved on to something new.
Did you quote the wrong post? I don't particularly want Cars Land in DHS. If they do build it, however, I think they should do it right. I call it "The Avatar Land Principle". I actually think they should come up with a high quality Cars dark ride completely indoors with no height requirement for DHS if they want Cars. They can still save money "cloning" the Cars character animatronics, they don't have to worry about rain shutting down the ride a la Test Track, and DHS desperately needs more rides without height requirements. There are three rides that anyone can ride at DHS: GMR, Backlot, and TSMM.

Cosmic Commando

Yes, there's no point in CL without the Cadillac Range. (If only for the briliance of that wordplay itself!)

Either build a full CL, or nothing at all. I can see a single Cars ride, if they must. But I'm afraid that will only be unfavorably compared with the full CL in DCA, so I would avoid that.
If the "Cars" portion of DHS is less than a full Cars Land, but it's part of a package of improvements that is really good for the park, it's a totally different story than if they just cheap out. Just would give DL and WDW fans something new to argue about. :cool:

jt04

C'mon dude... I know you can connect these dots! You said this about Cars Land:

... completely ignoring the fact that the original Cars Land is built in one of the most famously earthquake-prone areas in the world? If you can build it along the San Andreas fault, you can build it in a swamp.

Did you quote the wrong post? I don't particularly want Cars Land in DHS. If they do build it, however, I think they should do it right. I call it "The Avatar Land Principle". I actually think they should come up with a high quality Cars dark ride completely indoors with no height requirement for DHS if they want Cars. They can still save money "cloning" the Cars character animatronics, they don't have to worry about rain shutting down the ride a la Test Track, and DHS desperately needs more rides without height requirements. There are three rides that anyone can ride at DHS: GMR, Backlot, and TSMM.

Right on. My point was that whatever Carsland cost in Cali is not that important to the big picture. No doubt they could duplicate it at DHS but would it add value to TWDC? I contend that it would be counter-productive to clone it and they can get much more bang for their buck by doing something like you suggest above.

My frustration is with people that keep acting like a cloned Carsland is inevitable. Here are a couple dots to connect. The RSR clone rumor was started by a contractor for Universal projects and it will not be allowed to die. Hmmmm.

n2hifi

Not every queue needs tens of millions of dollars of pretty rocks at the expense of value engineering the actual attraction. I'm looking at you, Ariel.

Princesses:
Why are there so many rocks in the new Fantasyland?

Imagineers:
You said you loved rocks!!

Princesses:
Rocks? We meant we love Diamonds!!

Imagineers:
DOH!

71jason

If you look at the main attractions left at DHS, few still embody the whole "this is a movie studio" aesthetic, and those are largely hold-overs from opening. Back Lot tour, LMA, Indy, I guess GMR, arguably the Muppets. Star Tours and Jedi Academy are set in the Star Wars universe, not a back lot at Lucas Films. TSM is set in Andy's bedroom, not a set designed to look like Andy's bedroom. ToT is the Hollywood Tower Hotel, RnRC is a record label office (and then the streets of L.A.). You enter Voyage of the Little Mermaid through a seafaring port, with no indication it's supposed to be "fake." I think Cars Land is just the logical extension of this trend.

Plus it's the best thing Disney has built (stateside at least) since the early 80s. I'm willing to give them some bending room on theme in order to get that.

yensidtlaw1969

Why duplicate perfection rather than creating new perfection. da Vinci did not keep painting copies of the Mona Lisa. He made one and moved on to something new.
Actually, he painted two of them, and he spent seven years just on the second (and ultimately more famous) version. He then kept the painting until his death because he couldn't stand to let go of it.

Not quite related to the conversation at hand, but I thought I'd share.

EPCOTCenterLover

I'm not a big fan of direct clones, and I would like Cars Land to stay a DCA original- Soarin' too, but oh well. As for DHS, man, it needs something. Something great, first class, groundbreaking. Like ToT was at opening.

Anyway, even though I do not like direct clones, I do like the instances where the same themed attraction shows up in different parks with different looks, scenes, etc. As shown in DLP, for example.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom