Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

LithiumBill

Agreed.
Or...Favreau...

Dude....harsh...
Speaking of Kevin Smith, here's he take on this acquisition:

WE ARE DISNEY!
ALL YOUR CHILDHOOD ARE BELONG TO US!
Lots of folks asking what I think about the recent announcement that Disney is now the proud owned of the STAR WARS universe. I’m all for it. Can’t wait to see all the new movies they’re gonna make. The 7 year old Kev who saw STAR WARS during its initial release in 1977 is finally gonna get all 9 STAR WARS movies he was promised back then. I’ll be first in line to pay for whatever they do.

The Disney purchase of Lucasfilm is the fulfillment of a wish the Mouse made upon a star a few years back: the wish for little boys.

Sounds dirty but it’s just business: the Disney Princess market gave the Mouse all the little girls they could sell an Ariel costume to but Disney couldn’t interest boys in their wonderful world beyond the single digit years. Few boys are clamoring to play with a Peter Pan action figure and hooking the audience while their young is an important component of long term brand loyalty. So rather than develop their own boys brand in-house, they started buying “boy” stuff. It started with Marvel and it now continues with the world of STAR WARS.

And so long as Disney’s allowed to continue the franchise and make new flicks, they’ll make that $4 billion back in less than a decade. They’ve got eons worth on non-movie material to work from, too: all the books, the games, the comics, etc.

But the most important development to come out of the Disney purchase of Lucasfilm?

We might finally get an official Special Edition BluRay release of the STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL!!!

Taken from: http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/10/30/kevin-smith-discusses-disneys-acquisition-of-star-wars/

Nemofinder

Ok ok ok, WHAT IF they brought back the old Muppet Movie ride idea but used Star Wars and Indiana Jones in it as well as whatever else they planned? Maybe the Avengers too? I mean I know thats a long shot with all the politics but i mean... it could be cool.
Lest we forget

disney fan 13

Meaning Star Wars fans?

Fans in general, sigh. Scared of the unknown.

Really, are we going to do worse than Jar Jar?

Depends. Most are just fearing an erase of the EU and that DR and DH lose there contracts. But there also some who fear what Disney would do with a Star Wars Movie.

Me? I'll wait and see...

Atomicmickey

Universal likely couldn't care less. It has Harry Potter. How could it feel the least bit threatened by a franchise that faded a long time ago?

Frankly, I'm surprised ANYONE'S still a fan of Star Wars after those crappy sequels/prequels and that dopey Clone Wars cartoon...

Well, that would be an opinion, now, wouldn't it?

I guess Disney's got their work cut out for them reviving this old goat.

They probably could have gotten the Lil' Abner AND the Howdy Doody rights for the price they
paid for this crapdawg.

GenerationX

Oh, lord, here we go. That comment is made so often here that one can only wonder if ANY thought is ever put behind it.

It's true that Winnie the Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, and Cinderella did exist prior to Disney. But Disney, which was once an entity known for its creativity, originality and innovation, created its OWN version of those stories and characters, and did it so well that the Disney version is now the definitive version of those stories for generations of children and for audiences worldwide. Because Disney didn't use to be about: "What off-studio property that has already had tv shows and multiple film treatments can we buy today?" It used to be about: "What story rights can we purchase and develop into a film filled with concepts, music, characters and storylines that WE'LL create?" There is a difference between acquisition and artistry. It beats me why some people who call themselves Disney fans can't seem to grasp that difference. :rolleyes:
Way back when Disney purchased the rights to those old characters, there were NO properties available with multiple film and TV show treatments. The only source material available for acquisition was from books.

I enjoyed the recent Muppets movie. Star Tours 2.0, too. Pixar movies and attractions continue to show artistry, as well.

LithiumBill

Universal likely couldn't care less. It has Harry Potter. How could it feel the least bit threatened by a franchise that faded a long time ago?

Frankly, I'm surprised ANYONE'S still a fan of Star Wars after those crappy sequels/prequels and that dopey Clone Wars cartoon...
How long before JK starts turning out the prequels and sequels to Potter, now that her big "adult" book flopped horribly?

I loved the HP books, and the movies were "MEH" - nothing compared to the books.

How long before Potter fades with no support? No new movies. No new books. No new toys (those NEVER equaled SW). No new apparel, I see SW everywhere, Potter nowhere. GO to any toy store, how big is the Potter section? Is there a potter section? Now, Star Wars, that gets an entire aisle.

They are not on the same level of overall franchise. Not unless JK steps outside what she has said she would do, and creates MORE POTTER.

Atomicmickey

Depends. Most are just fearing an erase of the EU and that DR and DH lose there contracts. But there also some who fear what Disney would do with a Star Wars Movie.

Me? I'll wait and see...

That's a tough call. I have stuck my toes into the EU a bit and found it muddled
and cliquish. Really wasn't enchanted with how that all was handled, but there
are some clever and interesting ideas in there. I'm one of those who is a fan,
and doesn't care much for it.

And, again, there's going to be a split, but really I think everyone's going to be
curious to see a George Lucas-free Star Wars. I'd sure rather have Clone Wars,
the original animated Tartovsky series, than more Jar-Jar.

Bottom line, these things happen. We need to move on. James Bond got
recast. Now Star Trek did a pretty good job with a reboot.

At least they're not rebooting the darn thing. Seems like we're going to get
Lucas' outline for the new trilogy, anyway.

Well, I think between us we've pretty much settled the nerd debate forever,
now. The internetz can go back to whatever they were doing, seems like
it's all over. :)

RSoxNo1

Kevin's first Superman Script got turned into WILD WILD WEST, no joke. lol. GIANT SPIDERS! ;)
Kind of, Kevin Smith was given the Superman script to do a re-write on it. He saw the script that they had, thought it sucked and offered to re-write it. He re-wrote his version and then brought it to the producer, John Peters. As Smith tells the story Peters had all sorts of cooky requests:
  • I don't want to see him in that suit
  • I don't want to see him flying
  • He has to fight a gigantic mechanical spider in the third act
The mechanical spider found it's way into Wild Wild West.

In all seriousness though, I can't recommend An Evening with Kevin Smith enough, his story about doing the re-write work on Superman is unbelievable.

Magenta Panther

Well, that would be an opinion, now, wouldn't it?

I guess Disney's got their work cut out for them reviving this old goat.

They probably could have gotten the Lil' Abner AND the Howdy Doody rights for the price they
paid for this crapdawg.

Doesn't Universal own the rights to Li'L Abner? I know it's got attractions devoted to the likes of Heathcliff and Gasoline Alley... :p

LithiumBill

66294_4335799387401_1219141797_n.jpg

This was too good not to post... lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom