Hollywood Studios entertainment overhaul

RSoxNo1

But DHS being show heavy does not need to be adressed, it needs to be cherished!

With four parks, WDW enjoys a luxury that is unique in the world. The luxury of variation and diversity. It means WDW can have variation in its parks. Different atmospheres, different vibes, different ways of exploring them. DHS is the show park, not the ride park. DAK is the tranquil exploration park, not the ride park.

I disagree with the oft heard suggestion that DHS needs dark rides, and DAK needs Dark rides. Why should they? They shouldn't be MKs with different themes. They should to be different experiences.
The majority of people that visit Disney World are expecting to see rides. As good as many of these shows are, there will be people that will simlpy refuse to see them because they're shows.

Look at the distribution of activities in the parks:

Magic Kingdom
Ride heavy
Smaller Shows

Epcot
Dining Heavy
Large quantity of rides, but they don't dictate the day
Shopping

Hollywood Studios
Show Heavy
Low number, but high quality rides

Animal Kingdom
Animal Exhibits
Rides
Shows

Simply put, the number of rides and the quality of those rides correlates pretty strongly with park attendance. Most would argue that the ride lineup at DAK is worse than DHS and the attendance of those two parks is flip flopped, but they're close enough in offerings and attendance that I don't think it disproves my point.

Yes, the parks need variety. I support expansion over replacement. But if they feel that replacement is necessary I hope/expect the replacement to be better.

pumpkin7

I would love to see Animagique placed in the VOLM theater
I wouldn't mind seeing Cinemagique from DLP somewhere in the parks. It's a brilliant little show featuring Martin Short and I feel it's a bit wasted in DLP.
A new Tangled show would be EPIC. I love Tangled! Although I love BatB too, I've seen it practically every time we've ever been, ever...!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well knowing Disney, if they decide that Ph&F is the next big franchise, then they will be all over WDW. An interactive adventure in EPCOT, a show in DHS, a meet&greet at the MK, and parade floats everywhere. Like Nemo or Toy Story, you shan't be able to walk fifty yards without encountering them.
The problem is that they probably won't do this until after the show has been cancelled.

Considering Disney's love of cancelling a show after/at 65 episodes...P&F is due to be cancelled soon since they are well over 170 episodes already!

I wouldn't put much more on the shelf life of P&F, since they have nearly exhausted all good ideas for the show, and many episodes are basically repeating. I wouldn't expect Disney to make a leap on doing something extravagant now with the show.

RSoxNo1

I disagree, EPCOT has only what? 8 rides? Not exactly a large quantity :p
Epcot has more rides than any park except the Magic Kingdom, I count 10+Sum of all Thrills
Spaceship Earth
Soarin'
Test Track
Mission: Space
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Living with the Land
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Journey Into Imagination With Figment
Maelstrom
Gran Fiesta Tour

mm52200

Sorry to bring this thread back up again but just saw on disneyauditions.com that they're holding dancer auditions for BATB December 7 for full time and substitute roles...so what's the status with BATB now? Aren't Equity contracts usually a year long?

Timothy_Q

Those wanting PaF to replace VotLM need a reality check.

Not if it means we'll get a show that isn't stuck in the 90's.

I love the show as well, but mostly for nostalgic reasons and for some cool effects in the theater. But the show itself is pretty weak. 20 years is more than enough for VotLM. Time for something new.

mm52200

Not if it means we'll get a show that isn't stuck in the 90's.

I love the show as well, but mostly for nostalgic reasons and for some cool effects in the theater. But the show itself is pretty weak. 20 years is more than enough for VotLM. Time for something new.
I'm all for new things, but replacing a show based on the film that started the Disney Renaissance with a show based on a Disney Channel show is just a little insulting...and as everyone else has pointed out, there are two theaters in DHS sitting empty. If they have two new shows they want to create...why not put them in those theaters? DHS needs MORE things to do.

J03Y

But DHS being show heavy does not need to be adressed, it needs to be cherished!

With four parks, WDW enjoys a luxury that is unique in the world. The luxury of variation and diversity. It means WDW can have variation in its parks. Different atmospheres, different vibes, different ways of exploring them. DHS is the show park, not the ride park. DAK is the tranquil exploration park, not the ride park.

I disagree with the oft heard suggestion that DHS needs dark rides, and DAK needs Dark rides. Why should they? They shouldn't be MKs with different themes. They should to be different experiences.

i agree yet disagree with this. DHS is supposed to be the most exciting out of all the parks, yet also the most theatrical. it should have a nice neat balance of both, i mean it's not called "Hollywood" Studios for nothing. there need to be shows in order to showcase the traditional side of Disney and i think that should never change. but DHS is supposed to be Universal Studios' main competitor in Orlando, it needs the cool cutting edge rides.

granted, i don't think just putting a dark ride in the list by default is good, it isn't original either. it's such a generic thing to propose. not every dark ride works, especially not for every Disney movie in existence. i'd prefer for Disney to hop off the interactive experience of WWOHP train and start looking into how they made the Forbidden Journey ride. that would be a cool ride for DHS to have in their arsenal!

The majority of people that visit Disney World are expecting to see rides. As good as many of these shows are, there will be people that will simlpy refuse to see them because they're shows.

Simply put, the number of rides and the quality of those rides correlates pretty strongly with park attendance. Most would argue that the ride lineup at DAK is worse than DHS and the attendance of those two parks is flip flopped, but they're close enough in offerings and attendance that I don't think it disproves my point.

Yes, the parks need variety. I support expansion over replacement. But if they feel that replacement is necessary I hope/expect the replacement to be better.

see, i don't fully agree with this either. attendance to the shows is astounding, i see Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Fantasmic and Beauty and the Beast packed every time i go.

this is how i see each park:

Magic Kingdom:
small, sit-in themed rides (sometimes dark) with few coasters
themed for little kids and teens/adults who grew up with the attractions since childhood

Epcot:
cultural experience in dining and shopping
very few attractions (as far as like you sit in the car/boat)
more shows (screens and movies count/i consider Soarin as more of a show)
definitely for adults/older teens

Hollywood Studios:
few rides, but still exciting
the number of shows is like one or two more than the number of rides, but guests mainly focus on maybe two or three
other attractions focus mainly on the studio aspect of the park (ie Backlot Tour, LMA, Indiana Jones & Animation)
designed primarily to attract teens and adults looking for thrills with an area of the park for kids

Animal Kingdom:
Animals everywhere
most attractions are animal centered (Killiminjaro Safari and Rafiki's Planet Watch as a couple examples)
non-animal centered attractions are still fun and exciting (ie Dinosaur, Everest, Kali River Rapids)
only two shows, so the park is heavily centered on thrill seekers and nature lovers

Timothy_Q

I'm all for new things, but replacing a show based on the film that started the Disney Renaissance with a show based on a Disney Channel show is just a little insulting...and as everyone else has pointed out, there are two theaters in DHS sitting empty. If they have two new shows they want to create...why not put them in those theaters? DHS needs MORE things to do.

Completely agree on the 2 empty theaters that should be used.

That doesn't change the fact that VotLM is outdated and should be replaced.
"the film that started the Disney Renaissance" just got a new ride and a new hotel.

And it doesn't mean the show is bad just cause it came from Disney Channel. Phineas & Ferb and Gravity Falls are both pretty amazing.

Enchantâmes

Completely agree on the 2 empty theaters that should be used.

That doesn't change the fact that VotLM is outdated and should be replaced.
"the film that started the Disney Renaissance" just got a new ride and a new hotel.

And it doesn't mean the show is bad just cause it came from Disney Channel. Phineas & Ferb and Gravity Falls are both pretty amazing.
Sure they are, lets see how long they hold up compared to The Little Mermaid. :rolleyes:

RSoxNo1

i agree yet disagree with this. DHS is supposed to be the most exciting out of all the parks, yet also the most theatrical. it should have a nice neat balance of both, i mean it's not called "Hollywood" Studios for nothing. there need to be shows in order to showcase the traditional side of Disney and i think that should never change. but DHS is supposed to be Universal Studios' main competitor in Orlando, it needs the cool cutting edge rides.

granted, i don't think just putting a dark ride in the list by default is good, it isn't original either. it's such a generic thing to propose. not every dark ride works, especially not for every Disney movie in existence. i'd prefer for Disney to hop off the interactive experience of WWOHP train and start looking into how they made the Forbidden Journey ride. that would be a cool ride for DHS to have in their arsenal!

see, i don't fully agree with this either. attendance to the shows is astounding, i see Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Fantasmic and Beauty and the Beast packed every time i go.

this is how i see each park:

Magic Kingdom:
small, sit-in themed rides (sometimes dark) with few coasters
themed for little kids and teens/adults who grew up with the attractions since childhood

Epcot:
cultural experience in dining and shopping
very few attractions (as far as like you sit in the car/boat)
more shows (screens and movies count/i consider Soarin as more of a show)
definitely for adults/older teens

Hollywood Studios:
few rides, but still exciting
the number of shows is like one or two more than the number of rides, but guests mainly focus on maybe two or three
other attractions focus mainly on the studio aspect of the park (ie Backlot Tour, LMA, Indiana Jones & Animation)
designed primarily to attract teens and adults looking for thrills with an area of the park for kids

Animal Kingdom:
Animals everywhere
most attractions are animal centered (Killiminjaro Safari and Rafiki's Planet Watch as a couple examples)
non-animal centered attractions are still fun and exciting (ie Dinosaur, Everest, Kali River Rapids)
only two shows, so the park is heavily centered on thrill seekers and nature lovers

The consistent driver of each of those parks are the rides. You can look at DAK and say that the three stage shows are a driver and the animal walk throughs are a driver, at Epcot you can say that shopping and dining are both drivers. But if you look at all 4 parks, the single most important driver of attendance is the rides.

Enchantâmes

Which brings us back to the same thing. Theme park stage shows should be changed every 5-8 years.
20 is beyond ridiculous. Especially for one that was never groundbreaking to begin with.
I meant the movie, TV shows are not on the same level as classic Animated films and they never will be.

Timothy_Q

I meant the movie, TV shows are not on the same level as classic Animated films and they never will be.

I know what you meant.
That's why I'm saying stage shows should be changed every 5 years, cause TV shows usually don't have such lasting impact as movies do. But that shouldn't stop Disney from taking advantage of a show while it's popular.

And still, the park's best ride is based on a 50 year old TV show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom