Hollywood Studios expansion news!

spacemt354

Chili's
Walt Disney World as a whole has become stale because there is no risk taking. The identity crisis at the Disney-MGM Studios is because of that same aversion to risk taking. The park has become a place to toss brands because the brand "needs" a place in the parks. I would think now, more than ever, a truly groundbreaking project that helps to reinforce whatever identity the park is to have is needed. Not one that only furthers the tossing in of known brands.

There are risks being taken, they just aren't the risks some of us want them to take. $1 Billion investment into Next-Gen, the continued expansion of DVC resorts, the potential for Avatar land. Then the upper management takes risks when they claim the average guest won't realize a broken yeti, plain napkins, or other cut corners around the parks. While I wouldn't say the entire resort has become stale, I would say the risky decisions from the management that are either bad investments or rationalizations just to save a buck, contribute to the lack of attendance growth for the world.

I would say Future World and DHS are the only aspects of WDW for me that have become stale over the last few years. Both for the same reasons. Neither is living up to their potential and both have, to your point, an identity crisis. Sure, I guess you could say AK is not living up to the potential either, but the themeing and detail in that park still keeps me interested.

The identity crisis at DHS revolves around a few things. The hat, the lack of cohesive lands, the lack of attractions, and the staleness of the existing attractions. If the hat is removed, then Hollywood Blvd and the golden age of hollywood theme will be restroed. And at least to me, it will make a lot more sense thematic wise when entering the park.

I think adding Cars land and monster's inc into Pixar Place while replacing LMA and the Backlot unifies the area in the back left corner of the park, creating a cohesive land. Having a variety of Pixar brands in the Pixar Studios element of the park establishes the area much better than simply having TSMM as the only attraction in the "land." Then if rumors are true, after phase 1, Star Wars and Indy are potentially looking at expansions/revamps which should again, unify the Lucas Land area of the park. Then the stale aspect will be addressed with the removal of TLM and BatB shows, as their stories are being told in NFL.

Hollywood/Suset Blvd, Animation Studios, Pixar Studios, Muppets Studios, Lucas Land, then way down the road, the potential for Marvel Studios.

That sounds like a great park, and one I would enjoy going to. Whether or not Cars land is considered groundbreaking or not, it's still the quickest, most effective expansion move DHS can make at the present time to save their park.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I only did LMA once and never again. It's just cars driving around and around and around and around and occasionally there's a cool explosion. Indy's a lot more interesting
I agree, although we will definitely hit it one last time next month. I believe it will be our last chance.
I may even rearrange our last park day November 17 to catch the Backlot Tour one last time too.
Unlike some doubters, I believe the various insiders here who truly believe Cars land (at least) is coming. The Monsters Inc. Coaster, and anything else they want to throw DHS' way will all just be a bonus!

HTF

I agree, although we will definitely hit it one last time next month. I believe it will be our last chance.
I may even rearrange our last park day November 17 to catch the Backlot Tour one last time too.
Unlike some doubters, I believe the various insiders here who truly believe Cars land (at least) is coming. The Monsters Inc. Coaster, and anything else they want to throw DHS' way will all just be a bonus!

Anything else thrown in will be needed for capacity issues ;)

Well, according to the DisneyParks app, the backlot tour is "Closed for refurbishment". Could this be the hint that we are searching for, for a DHS expansion?

doctornick

Hollywood/Suset Blvd, Animation Studios, Pixar Studios, Muppets Studios, Lucas Land, then way down the road, the potential for Marvel Studios.

I don't know exactly where it could fit, but I think a "Toon Town" area would also be a good addition. It's been rumored in the past for DHS and with the loss of Toon Town Fair in MK, it would be an option. I think it could work well as a place themed to "where cartoons work" (as opposed to Cali where they where they live more or less).

p.s. would be a great place to re-add Mr. Toad if they ever wanted to do that.

spacemt354

Chili's
I don't know exactly where it could fit, but I think a "Toon Town" area would also be a good addition. It's been rumored in the past for DHS and with the loss of Toon Town Fair in MK, it would be an option. I think it could work well as a place themed to "where cartoons work" (as opposed to Cali where they where they live more or less).

p.s. would be a great place to re-add Mr. Toad if they ever wanted to do that.

I agree. Although I'm not sure where it would fit, I think toontown would be a great option for the studios. Perhaps by fantasmic maybe? I know there is some empty space behind the BatB stage and along the walkway to fantasmic. It would have to be out of sight on sunset blvd as to not affect the theme, but I think that could be a potential spot.

lazyboy97o

The identity crisis at DHS revolves around a few things. The hat, the lack of cohesive lands, the lack of attractions, and the staleness of the existing attractions. If the hat is removed, then Hollywood Blvd and the golden age of hollywood theme will be restroed. And at least to me, it will make a lot more sense thematic wise when entering the park.

I think adding Cars land and monster's inc into Pixar Place while replacing LMA and the Backlot unifies the area in the back left corner of the park, creating a cohesive land. Having a variety of Pixar brands in the Pixar Studios element of the park establishes the area much better than simply having TSMM as the only attraction in the "land." Then if rumors are true, after phase 1, Star Wars and Indy are potentially looking at expansions/revamps which should again, unify the Lucas Land area of the park. Then the stale aspect will be addressed with the removal of TLM and BatB shows, as their stories are being told in NFL.
I think you are simplifying the issues of the park's identity. Removing the Hat doe snot just automatically fix Hollywood Blvd, as other aspects have still be lost such as the street not being just another World of Disney.

I also do not see Pixar Place as a cohesive idea. Where in the Pixar films, excepting for some small easter eggs that are common to them all, is there the suggestion that this occurs in the same or even similar universe? The approach right now is the same one that plagues the Studio park concept, that these are creations of a company that are tossed together because of their common ownership/creation, not because of their commons stories. It is the worst of the Universal Studios model, brands just slapped together because they are all films.

New shows also do not address the experiential reasoning for the shows. Are they merely shows based on other properties under the Disney family of brands, or is there something more to their placement?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, according to the DisneyParks app, the backlot tour is "Closed for refurbishment". Could this be the hint that we are searching for, for a DHS expansion?

Backlot tour has gone down for refurbishment a couple times over the past few years, don't really see this as evidence of a DHS expansion.

SyracuseOrange

I think you are simplifying the issues of the park's identity. Removing the Hat doe snot just automatically fix Hollywood Blvd, as other aspects have still be lost such as the street not being just another World of Disney.

I also do not see Pixar Place as a cohesive idea. Where in the Pixar films, excepting for some small easter eggs that are common to them all, is there the suggestion that this occurs in the same or even similar universe? The approach right now is the same one that plagues the Studio park concept, that these are creations of a company that are tossed together because of their common ownership/creation, not because of their commons stories. It is the worst of the Universal Studios model, brands just slapped together because they are all films.

New shows also do not address the experiential reasoning for the shows. Are they merely shows based on other properties under the Disney family of brands, or is there something more to their placement?
Fair point.

Hehe - doe snot.

spacemt354

Chili's

I disagree that in a land, especially one based off a studio such as Pixar, that everything in the land has to tell the same common story. Fantasyland is a combination of serveral different stories that don't relate to one another whatsoever. It's not a matter of the easter eggs in Pixar films that connects them together, it's the concept that they all come from the same studio origin.

If brands slapped together because they are films is bad, then IoA should have never added Harry Potter to their laundry list of brands like Shrek, Mummy, Spiderman, Hulk, Dr. Suess, Transformers, etc. Unless you are looking for Pixar Studios to only represent one of their brands, such as Toy Story Playland, A Bug's Land, The Seas with Nemo, or Cars land, then I don't see the issue with having Pixar Studios show off their variety of storytelling.

And to address the staleness aspect of the park, I do feel that cycling through shows provides a great way to relieve that staleness

I feel like this would be a good way to revamp the park.
What would you do to correct it?

djlaosc

I agree that there are more than just the hat as being a problem in the front area of DHS.

Hollywood Boulevard Problems:
The Hat
Disney Channel Rocks
Mulch, Sweat & Shears
Merchandise in the shops

Sunset Boulevard Problems:
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
Merchandise in the shops

Echo Lake Problems:
Disney Junior Play n Dine at Hollywood and Vine
American Idol Experience
Empty ABC Sound Studio Building
Merchandise in the shops

The hat could be solved by knocking it down/moving it. DCR, MS&S, RnRC could be solved by using the area behind RnRC for a music themed area. DJPnD@HnV could be solved by using the land beside RnRC to build a new sit down restaurant that could be connected somehow to Animation Courtyard. AIE and ABCSS will eventually solve themselves. Merchandise is a WDW-wide problem.

Mrs.Toad

I was thinking after spending alot of time on another thread comparing Disney and Universal. Okay, Universal got Potter but really Disney has Star Wars/Lucas. The new Star Tours is exellent, how about expanding? They have the Indy stunt show. Either update it or bring the ride from CA with a twist now due to new technology.

I just had a flashing image in my mind of Space Mountain. Can you imagine a Star Wars indoor/dark coaster in DHS...and with a partnership with Lucas and all the potential effects. I am not saying SM 2.0 copying...but they have the potential for a classic e-ticket ride with longevity. Star Wars will never die down.

I would just like to see cohesiveness in each area one at at time. If they could attack this first, than maybe Pixar or something else and keep going every few years, DHS would have been at its pinnacle already.

I would suggest with Echo Lake....Making it a mini World Showcase in style, meaning food eateries in a row, but in that case it is countries. Close down Hollywood and Vine, and make a strip of classic themed table service eateries. The 50's stays, or even add more around the park for room issues. Sorry, I am nowhere near the amazing people on this thread that know the size of rides, space available, feet, dimensions...etc. Wish I was that knowlegable in that area, but math is not my thing.

Now a 50's family home kitchen was done, the legenary Brown Derby was done, and a 50's Sci-Fi drive in was done, I think to tie in the Hollywood Boulevard theme, one or two 30's-40's legends as eateries (Copa, Ciro's, Dan the Beachcomber...) or another theme can be thought of that ties in. Or something fun and quick service with the California Crazy Architecture like the Dinosaur Gertie's, or Egyptomania, or just more Art Deco.

Or...I thought of Boardwalk Empire...turn of the century...the 20's....a Charlie Chaplineesque silent film tribute type of table service. The entire restaurant being black and white. It ties in with the old Hollywood theme, being pre-old Hollywood or the very start that builded to the Golden Age of Movies. I even thought of the old school Mickey animated movies and how they lost their home in MK when the old Main Street cinema used to shwo them and you could just hang out and watch. Just a stream of thoughts flowing right now that I wish I could word better....

Also, DHS is due for a water ride like Splash or water/dark like POTC, and other classics. They have a lot of space, I think to mix it up.

djlaosc

Isn't the story for Pixar Place that you are at the actual Pixar Studios, not that you are going into the universes of the films? Not saying that I think that it is a good story, just that that is what I thought I read, and is why I was wondering whether we would be getting RSR built behind a soundstage to fit with the area!

Mrs.Toad

I think also as far as food service themes I am torn by these.

Commissary, buffeteria, cafeteria, soundstage got old quick and died down.

Now in DHS was it because the food is bad, the theme is weak, or they could be re-done with both improving marginally?

lazyboy97o

I disagree that in a land, especially one based off a studio such as Pixar, that everything in the land has to tell the same common story. Fantasyland is a combination of serveral different stories that don't relate to one another whatsoever. It's not a matter of the easter eggs in Pixar films that connects them together, it's the concept that they all come from the same studio origin.

If brands slapped together because they are films is bad, then IoA should have never added Harry Potter to their laundry list of brands like Shrek, Mummy, Spiderman, Hulk, Dr. Suess, Transformers, etc. Unless you are looking for Pixar Studios to only represent one of their brands, such as Toy Story Playland, A Bug's Land, The Seas with Nemo, or Cars land, then I don't see the issue with having Pixar Studios show off their variety of storytelling.
Islands of Adventure is not the same because each property has its own distinct land. That is not the case with Pixar Place where it is everything and anything that is done by Pixar. Where dinosaurs and talking cars and toys all come together not because of any commonalities within their stories, but because the same word appears in their opening credits. It is a strategy that leads to the disjointed nature of Studio-based theme parks. The focus shifts from creating an experiential environment to representing films from the studio in question. Why is Twister: Ride It Out in New York? Because it is a studio park and Twister is a film.

Isn't the story for Pixar Place that you are at the actual Pixar Studios, not that you are going into the universes of the films? Not saying that I think that it is a good story, just that that is what I thought I read, and is why I was wondering whether we would be getting RSR built behind a soundstage to fit with the area!
Pixar Place is designed in part after the Pixar campus, but then their are the few Monstropolis elements that anticipated the Monsters, Inc. attraction. And then why does the Pixar campus have giant toys everywhere and a over-scaled version of Andy's bedroom? Why would they also have part of Monstropolis built? If Cars Land is included, then why do they have a full scale recreation of Radiator Springs? At Universal Studios Hollywood this makes sense as the sets and pieces are actual artifacts of the film making process. Pixar does not use sets, it is all digital animation. All I see in Pixar Place is some weird construct of a place that might make sense if this was a place where these films were filmed.

flavious27

RSoxNo1

Lucas Land.
We had Jim Hill on last week (the show hasn't been released yet), and we discussed a Lucas Land possibility. Evidently the hold up is Disney trying to buy the intellectual property outright. It would allow for a lot more flexibility, as such they could leave the Echo Lake area alone for now and focus on other areas for enhancement knowing that a Lucas Land can stand the test of time.

jdmdisney99

Possibilities are endless for DHS, it is run by a MOVIE company. Disney could bring in rights like Charlie Chaplin and I wouldn't mind if they did something great. But first they should expand with what they have starting with Star Wars/Lucas Land, moving on to Pixar Place, then I think they should add another classic Hollywood section, and finally they should add Marvel Land. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom