Hollywood Studios expansion news!

Pixiedustmaker

I am not an insider but all the evidence points to Cars Land coming to DHS. The executive in charge of Cars Land in California being reassigned to Florida. All the talk from mutiple inside sources.

Kathy Magnum is a WDI exec who presided over a very successful construction project at DCA. There are rumors about Disneyland getting an E-Ticket, or even an expansion, but I tend to think that is Tony Baxter's area. WDW has some big projects on the table, Avatarland, and 7DMT is still a long time away from opening. Personally, I think a fifth gate is coming to WDW, over a DHS expansion, but we'll have to wait and see. I doubt DCA will get anything major for seven years, maybe longer. In terms of career progression, I think it made sense that Magnum moved to Orlando. WDI also said that she wasn't attached to any new project.

Pixiedustmaker

With the attendance trends happening in Orlando? Yes.

DHS gets 10 million a year, if they shutdown the backlot tour, and LMA, and whatever else they need to do for the Monsters Inc. coaster . . . it means reduced capacity. Reduced capacity means longer lines, plus guests reading online about the project might avoid DHS for the next three years. DCA's project was much less invasive as Carsland was built in a parking lot, and nobody missed Sunshine Plaza as it was just a cheap strip mall. No rides.

Disney predicts only 1% growth each year at WDW for the next ten years despite higher growth in decades past. I have to think that this is mostly because of demographic trends, i.e. the recession. They've sunk real money into Shanghai because of the growth potential. You have a point that Carsland could increase attendance, but Carsland was a sort of hail mary pass to save DCA which had horrible attendance numbers. A DHS Carsland would be a lot more expensive, and they risk cutting into the 10 million guests per year that go to DHS. I think a fifth gate is the more likely option, and that it will include a full Carsland.

HTF

Less invasive? Did you visit DCA before, during, and after this project started because I did. The park was a mess and for the past 3 years an even bigger mess. It was the most invasive theme park project ever taken on. How is having over 3000ft of construction walls up within a 55 acre park not invasive? To have to enter a park through temp structures with protective sheeting hanging above that so debris doesn't fall into your hair.What its like to walk to a the main lagoon only to be greeted by miles of pipes, construction galore, and many more panels of construction barriers?

The fact of the matter is that Disney has an issue and they realize it. If they do end up biting the bullet and closing LMA and the Backlot rest assured it will have the same effect on attendance all of this construction at DCA did, none. If anything it might actually create buzz around a resort that has gone stale. I mean look at the crazies at FLE softs today. Its a kiddie land and adults were losing their minds. (Don't, I was there to watching all of you have a great time;)) Its not their fault though. Its the Disney faithful that are just begging for new attractions. You build this and they will come in droves even during construction and in numbers no one will believe until DCA's estimates are released in a few months.

Pixiedustmaker

Less invasive? Did you visit DCA before, during, and after this project started because I did.

. . .

The fact of the matter is that Disney has an issue and they realize it. If they do end up biting the bullet and closing LMA and the Backlot rest assured it will have the same effect on attendance all of this construction at DCA did, none.

In terms of invasiveness, I'm talking about the loss of attractions. Yes, DCA looked like construction wall land for years, but they also added Mermaid and World of Color, which were small draws in and of themselves. If DHS wipes the Backlot Tour off the map, in addition to LMA—all without rolling out anything new for three years, AND with the availability of Potterland and other parks nearby . . . I could easily see DHS losing guests under this scenario.

So no, I do not believe that such a project at DHS would do no harm in terms of attendance.

AEfx

In terms of invasiveness, I'm talking about the loss of attractions. Yes, DCA looked like construction wall land for years, but they also added Mermaid and World of Color, which were small draws in and of themselves. If DHS wipes the Backlot Tour off the map, in addition to LMA—all without rolling out anything new for three years, AND with the availability of Potterland and other parks nearby . . . I could easily see DHS losing guests under this scenario.

So no, I do not believe that such a project at DHS would do no harm in terms of attendance.

Whenever I walk by, the Backlot Tour (if it's running) has CM's standing at the entrance begging people to come in while on their way elsewhere.

While LMA does eat a chunk of guests at a time, I really don't think it's such a huge draw to the park. I don't think many people make their decision to go there over LMA.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just truely wouldn't understand bringin cars land to dhs. Not only because of the previously mentioned fact that its Lasseter's baby, but you also have to remember that Test Track is just across the lake with the same technology that is getting refurbished. It would just seem uncreative on Disney's part. If you can't bring RSR, and Luigi's flying tires has terrible capacity, I highly doubt a big deal would be made about opening Mater's Junkyard Jamboree...but then again, there was a conference about benches

Copied ride systems are nothing new. Whenever this comes up I like to mention that DHS had Star Tours then they built Body Wars in Epcot with the same ride system. Same two parks we are talking about here. This is just one example of shared ride systems between the parks.

DisneyDaniel

Copied ride systems are nothing new. Whenever this comes up I like to mention that DHS had Star Tours then they built Body Wars in Epcot with the same ride system. Same two parks we are talking about here. This is just one example of shared ride systems between the parks.

I was shocked when I saw the video for the new Journey of Little Mermaid ride and saw what I thought were clam-mobiles. They are shell-mobiles but it reminded me too much of the clam-mobiles at the Finding Nemo ride, which is my least favorite ride. It looks like they made JLM very nice though, I'm glad.

DisneyDose

I was readin the DPB and noticed this comment on the article. Seems legit. Scroll down to the comments section. it's the first comment.

While that is true, the Disney Parks Blog knows just as much as fans do until the word is given. I don't see an announcement like this being made until next years D23 Expo.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
While that is true, the Disney Parks Blog knows just as much as fans do until the word is given. I don't see an announcement like this being made until next years D23 Expo.

All that response to the comment indicates is that blog will probably say something about DHS in the near future. We don't have any idea what that might be. It's very unlikely to be something as big as Cars Land, but there are a lot of smaller things that the blog could talk about. I think the new Pirates attraction would be most likely since it has been announced but hasn't been talked about for a while.

jdmdisney99

If Avatarland is still on the table, that could be announced at the "What's Next?" presentation on Dec. 7 and if they do do an expansion at DHS, it would probably be announced at the 2013 D23 Expo.

themonkeyisthesultan

I was shocked when I saw the video for the new Journey of Little Mermaid ride and saw what I thought were clam-mobiles. They are shell-mobiles but it reminded me too much of the clam-mobiles at the Finding Nemo ride, which is my least favorite ride. It looks like they made JLM very nice though, I'm glad.

Other than the appearance, they have much more in common with doombuggies

FigmentJedi

Whenever I walk by, the Backlot Tour (if it's running) has CM's standing at the entrance begging people to come in while on their way elsewhere.

While LMA does eat a chunk of guests at a time, I really don't think it's such a huge draw to the park. I don't think many people make their decision to go there over LMA.
I only did LMA once and never again. It's just cars driving around and around and around and around and occasionally there's a cool explosion. Indy's a lot more interesting

twebber55

I only did LMA once and never again. It's just cars driving around and around and around and around and occasionally there's a cool explosion. Indy's a lot more interesting
agree...i like the studios but they have a lot of one and dones rides/shows...

FigmentJedi

agree...i like the studios but they have a lot of one and dones rides/shows...
And even with Indy, my main motivation for catching it the last couple times was to further fill out the Star Wars Weekends day of the trip and only getting partial showings because of lousy weather on said Weekends days.

menamechris

DHS gets 10 million a year, if they shutdown the backlot tour, and LMA, and whatever else they need to do for the Monsters Inc. coaster . . . it means reduced capacity. Reduced capacity means longer lines, plus guests reading online about the project might avoid DHS for the next three years. DCA's project was much less invasive as Carsland was built in a parking lot, and nobody missed Sunshine Plaza as it was just a cheap strip mall. No rides.

Disney predicts only 1% growth each year at WDW for the next ten years despite higher growth in decades past. I have to think that this is mostly because of demographic trends, i.e. the recession. They've sunk real money into Shanghai because of the growth potential. You have a point that Carsland could increase attendance, but Carsland was a sort of hail mary pass to save DCA which had horrible attendance numbers. A DHS Carsland would be a lot more expensive, and they risk cutting into the 10 million guests per year that go to DHS. I think a fifth gate is the more likely option, and that it will include a full Carsland.

I think you are analyzing this too much. Do you honestly think the Backlot Tour and LMA will be there for ever and ever and ever? No... Neither does Disney. The bottom line is - do they want to bite the bullet and put something there that WILL have staying power and be an attendance grab for decades to come? Or do they just want to put in a lackluster placeholder? DHS is not in a good position right now for a Disney park. And in a pretty sad state. Something has to be done eventually. I am sure they are more than confident that they will make up more than they lost in merchandising and attendance once the project is complete.

menamechris

I just truely wouldn't understand bringin cars land to dhs. Not only because of the previously mentioned fact that its Lasseter's baby, but you also have to remember that Test Track is just across the lake with the same technology that is getting refurbished.

Can you think of anything Disney could do that would boost attendance in DHS AND significantly raise merchandising more than Carsland? Neither can they...

spacemt354

Chili's
Can you think of anything Disney could do that would boost attendance in DHS AND significantly raise merchandising more than Carsland? Neither can they...

Exactly. Carsland is the whole package. It's already been proven as a success, comes with an E-ticket everyone has been in awe about, skyrockets merchandise sales, attendance, and provides a facelift to a park that is in desperate need of one.

Weighing those factors against the idea that Test Track is short distance away, I think is a no-brainer to bring Carsland to DHS. And besides, as already stated above, Disney recycles the same ride systems all the time. There are omnimovers all across the 4 parks. Same type of systems, but completely different experiences.

AEfx

It's also a huge PITA to get in and out of - it's the only time I feel really "herded" at WDW. I have always found the CM's there a bit less than magical. I understand they are likely under a great deal of pressure to get everyone seated and it is a massive undertaking, but I feel like I am in grade school LOL. And yeah, once or twice was way enough for me. I just never found the show to be that great - it's neat, but they spend too much time on the hokey "let's pretend we are making a movie" stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom