Disney to make an expansion announcement today.

Ignohippo

so if Disney and Cameron are having "creative differences" (does this just mean money?), how long until Cameron marches his blue aliens down the street to a theme park that doesn't have the same trouble ceding control? Isn't this just going to be another missed opportunity like Potterland? In five years are we all going to be looking for Disney's answer to Universal's Avatarland?

I never saw the movie, so I don't have an opinion on the content, but I'd hate to see Disney miss another major opportunity, especially one that could be a game changer for Animal Kingdom!

While there may be "creative differences", I would assume the problems are more than likely due to the movies running behind schedule/put on hold. I'm sure indifference by the fan community doesn't help.

I imagine Disney will still keep this project on a developmental front burner until the movies actually come out (or until a time when Disney has a more educated idea on how the movies are shaping up and how this project will be received). They'll probably keep imagineers on it for the foreseeable future.

That way, if it truly appears they're sitting on something that could be huge success, they can greenlight it and get it up and running quickly (which is why they'll go ahead and move FotLK anyway.

Surely, Cameron can pull the plug at any time if he doesn't feel Disney is living up to their side of the deal. I imagine Disney will keep him placated just enough to keep the project until they're either ready to move on it or give it up. Regardless, Disney would have to be the best possibility Cameron has to see his theme park vision become a reality. I don't see Six Flags ponying up to the bar anytime soon.

WDW1974

Remember my post is speculation, primarily about the timing of the two projects. I don't have confirmation that they are linked to each other, but I did hear of some confirmation that Cars Land really is under heavier development than we all thought.

Ah ... speculation over others speculation.

But you certainly are correct in that Carsland (among other concepts) are much further along than anything Avatar-related. I'm wondering if the only thing keeping it on life support is Bob Iger's ego.

And just wading through this thread ... but is Disney making an announcement today? About anything of note (no, I don't care what kind of merchandise will be sold in the new tent ... or what characters will be appearing at a new meet and greet)? Log on for the first time at 5 p.m. and see 14 pages ... why do I feel this is more hoping and wishing on Pixie Dust than actual substance?

Finally, Kevin, if you're still reading (and gonna believe you are), but I did read your column (you know I read all your stuff!:)) why the hell haven't you done a column on Disney playing with the AC? Get some talking head from Disney to talk about going green (instead of simply acting out of greed for the green) and then ask people how they feel about waking up covered in sweat because their AC shut off. Disney has been playing this game in Florida, off and on for a decade. You know, there was a time when they NEVER shut the a/c off in a show building like PoC. Do you know how long it takes on summer days to get it feeling even remotely comfortable in those? ... You're missing something that Disney should be royally bashed for and I certainly wouldn't expect someone like Jason Garcia to write about it ... and my pal Merfie simply wants to be the King of the EPCOT Fanbois, so he won't give them a shot. It might be a better column that reviewing another section of the AoA motel. Just a thought ...

djlaosc

Spielberg is very particular as well, but his new Star tours got done on time. Why Cameron would be holding out, if he is, is pure crap. So we still know nothing. All speculation. As for Fantasmic, Fix the show before adding seats.

Lucas not spielberg

Wasn't Star Tours supposed to be continuously updated? If so, doesn't that mean that Lucas could have been nearly 20 years late!

WDW1974

The only thing I saw on local6.com was a report about Avatar being delayed in DHS quoting the IGN article. Not sure there is anything there that has already not been beat to death here. Certainly not going to hold an announcement that the vaporware project has vaporized.

So 14 pages in another thread on nothing?

Seriously, how many more days til I can take off for the west coast and leave the insanity behind?

WDW1974

Shouldn't Disney be preparing a DCA-full fat style makeover though? Actually shouldn't they be investing capital in all their parks concurrent with other park projects?

What Disney should be doing and what Disney actually is doing are two very different things.

Studios proposal on the table is for a DCA-like in scope makeover, yet it likely will be far less ... and that has nothing to do with whether Avatarland happens or not (my money, which was placed on not almost as soon as the year began, seems to be placed correctly).

WDW1974

Not sure who is paying for what exactly, but I'd bet all of the global expansion is at least partly to blame for why WDW is feeling the neglect these days. Only so many Imagineers in the Mouse House, after all.

(Of course, I could totally be wrong here. I'm just speculating.)

Wrong.

Disney built TDL and EPCOT Center and a whole new Fantasyland for DL at the same time.
They built Disney-MGM, Euro Disney, Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island and scores of resorts at the same time.

There are other examples, but they hire talent as needed. Disney is doing very, very little now compared with other points in history.

WDW1974

Considering it took UC around 15 months from start of the attraction's creation to opening of DM ride at UO, tells you everything you need to know. WDI needs a pruning.

They are shooting for opening Transformers as early as Memorial Day.

Think about that when Disney takes five years to open meet and greets and kiddie coasters.

It's flat out unacceptable, yet that's their business plan ... stretch out the CAPEX over as many years as they can.

SirLink

What Disney should be doing and what Disney actually is doing are two very different things.

Studios proposal on the table is for a DCA-like in scope makeover, yet it likely will be far less ... and that has nothing to do with whether Avatarland happens or not (my money, which was placed on not almost as soon as the year began, seems to be placed correctly).

That is true - I'm tired. I just wish they had projects to for when they needed to press the big button marked 'Emergency'

WDW1974

No one could bother to respond to this because it was more important to discuss the merits of Potter, Marvel, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Twilight...am I missing anything?

Is that really the announcement? 1000 more seats? I hope so, I need a good laugh today.

I'm on Page 7 of a 15-page thread ... trying to skin quickly and I see no evidence anything was announced. I don't recall who the OP was, but really how many threads about the same thing (nothing) are we gonna have. Has this board gone all Seinfeld?:D

ctxak98

They are shooting for opening Transformers as early as Memorial Day.

Think about that when Disney takes five years to open meet and greets and kiddie coasters.

It's flat out unacceptable, yet that's their business plan ... stretch out the CAPEX over as many years as they can.

This is exactly what I mean by Disney will no longer be able to compete if UNIVERSAL is using sooooo many franchises. They have some of the best movies of all time on there property and people will visit the parks even if the rides arent good because of the name! and people still think that Something made up like Beastly Kingdom or a new continent or pixar ride is going to affect anything. They only have a few options left to really wow people. Star Wars, Avatar or possibly Lord of the rings. While I agree Pixar movies are good they do not come off well to older kids.

WDW1974

Here's the site the original interview came from.
http://collider.com/jon-landau-avatar-sequels-titanic-3d-interview/192618/
No mention of Disney or avatarland at all. Ign is like screamscape.
They credit indie wire with original story but no source was given only guesswork by reporter. Still nothing official. Is it delayed more than likely does anyone have a statement from Disney or Cameron no

Neither Disney nor Cameron would want to make a statement that would make them look bad ... or like they jumped into a bad marriage after a wild night in Vegas.

The movies are delayed (and are not guaranteed to ever happen) ... those are Cameron's biggest concern, not a theme park land in the swamps.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm on Page 7 of a 15-page thread ... trying to skin quickly and I see no evidence anything was announced. I don't recall who the OP was, but really how many threads about the same thing (nothing) are we gonna have. Has this board gone all Seinfeld?:D

There is nothing in this thread of value except for people so hungry they are willing to jump at any scrap vs actually checking the source. It may be ancedotally correct, but is not a verification of anything. You can stop reading now :)

ctxak98

I'm not a fan at all of Harry Potter, but even I know it's much more than that.

Why not just purchase the rights to DC Comics and make an entire land based on Krypton? Or Gotham City?
And so is avatar....I dont get where your going with this so I think we can agree to disagree here.

WDW1974

As I was leaving work, I'm a photographer for a local news station, a fellow photographer was just getting back from the press event. I scanned the press release and the biggest thing I saw was the additions to the F! Stadium. I am sure there was other stuff and the press release is in every major fan sites inbox right now we will all know more within hours.

YOU are here?!:)

Cool.:cool:

Hope to see ya in O-Town soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom