NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

menamechris

Jim Handy

This makes Universal more appealing on a resort-wide level. I wouldn't be surprised to see folks leaving Disney for 1/2 days at the end of their trip with a more affordable hotel waiting at Universal. Instead of the pattern now where most visitors are staying at Disney hotels or other area hotels and just visiting, they'd be staying.

menamechris

This makes Universal more appealing on a resort-wide level. I wouldn't be surprised to see folks leaving Disney for 1/2 days at the end of their trip with a more affordable hotel waiting at Universal. Instead of the pattern now where most visitors are staying at Disney hotels or other area hotels and just visiting, they'd be staying.

Exactly...with this value hotel option available at Universal - I think more people will split their vacation stays. It could actually circumvent the dining plan trap Disney has been using to try and get people to not go visit Universal. More people just may plan on only 4 days at Disney - and then go stay at Universal for 2 or 3 days.

asianway

Exactly...with this value hotel option available at Universal - I think more people will split their vacation stays. It could actually circumvent the dining plan trap Disney has been using to try and get people to not go visit Universal. More people just may plan on only 4 days at Disney - and then go stay at Universal for 2 or 3 days.
UOR should offer bus service to bring guests over from WDW for split stays

ParentsOf4

But wait! Universal is just copying Disney. Disney is at the forefront of resort development having opened Art of Animation earlier this year. Universal is trailing badly and better get a move on it or Universal will fall hopelessly behind. (My post is just dripping sarcasm, in case anyone misses it.;))

the.dreamfinder

LOL- I wouldn't be surprised if Universal starts offering a similar form of "Magical Express" from the airport.
It will probably happen, but I'm concerned that if they choose Mears as their contractor, then they will have handed them a monopoly that will make guest friendly resort to resort transit a customer service nightmare.
IMHO, It would be a good time to build that mag lev line from MCO to the major Orlando destinations down I-4.

midwest_mice

I could see Universal doing some sort of bus from the airport. Out of the dozen or so visits to Orlando, I still haven't gone to Universal...Disney all the way.

COProgressFan

I agree -- this is a big deal and Disney should be concerned. I can see lots of folks spending more time at Universal with this new more affordable resort.

I also think, as a direct comparison to Pop, All Star, and especially AoA the Universal Suites look more kitschy/retro than "tacky". I know we just have a few tiny pieces of concept art, but I don't think I would ever stay at AoA but might consider this Universal alternative.

bubbles1812

I could see Universal doing some sort of bus from the airport. Out of the dozen or so visits to Orlando, I still haven't gone to Universal...Disney all the way.
I would encourage you to give Universal a try. Even a half day just to check out what the park has to offer. I love both places and Uni has made great strides in recent years. And Disney will still be there when you get back ;)

culturenthrills

The coasters are terrific (although less so after Manta opened and I went to BGW!).

God I miss Apollo's Chariot. I can't believe that we still don't have a hypercoaster here in Florida. I know BGT was supposed to get one but they got Cheetah Hunt instead and how much better would Hollywood RRR be if they would have gone with a B&M hyper like Universal Japan. I just hope the next coaster SW or BGT gets is a hyper cause we need one here so badly. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

TimeTrip

God I miss Apollo's Chariot. I can't believe that we still don't have a hypercoaster here in Florida. I know BGT was supposed to get one but they got Cheetah Hunt instead and how much better would Hollywood RRR be if they would have gone with a B&M hyper like Universal Japan. I just hope the next coaster SW or BGT gets is a hyper cause we need one here so badly. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
YES! As a coaster fan, it really saddens me that there isn't a good hyper, or any hyper at all down around these parts. Sigh. My fave is still S:ROS at SFNE, though it's now called something else. Now... if they could bring El Toro down from Six Flags Great Adventure, THEN we're talking. Though not technically a hyper, i'd take the airtime/action on that thing any day over any other ride.

WDW1974

But wait! Universal is just copying Disney. Disney is at the forefront of resort development having opened Art of Animation earlier this year. Universal is trailing badly and better get a move on it or Universal will fall hopelessly behind. (My post is just dripping sarcasm, in case anyone misses it.;))

I love dripping/things that drip ... and I love sarcasm ... so I REALLY love your post!

WDW1974

Being that according to your trip listings your 12 or so visits to WDW have all been since 2004 ... and since WDW has barely had any new product in that time period, one might wonder why you wouldn't want to try UNI out?

Are you one of the people who are afraid to leave WDW property ... who believe they are MAGICally trasported away from the real world ... who think that no other themed entertainment venture could possibly begin to compare to Disney? Just wondering.

WDW1974

AC is a GREAT coaster. One of my all-time faves ... and for all the folks who talk about rides like that being 'too intense' for certain demos, I just sorta shake my head because riding Space Mountain and RnRC in FLA are very painful experiences. AC is as smooth as my behind after some manscaping!:eek::) :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom