NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
A good, objective view of what you think of the park. It differs a bit from mine, but not completely. I agree Suess needs paint badly. I think the food ain't great in IOA, but that's why I only eat at Mythos and Margaritaville. I always walk straight through toon lagoon.

But I think Spidey is incredible. I like JP, and my kids love the JP play area. The ride building thing doesnt bother me at Uni OR Disney for some reason.

I agree IOA has some issues, and we've never been able to make it a whole day in the park... But when I personally praise Uni, it's in regard to what they've done recently, which I think is top notch... Head and shoulders above what Disney has even attempted, I believe.

Good to see you posting again, Tirian.

My recent trip to USH has me believing that uni has caught up to Disney in the ability to create amazing attractions for teens and adults. Transformers, the King Kong piece of the tram tour, the Simpsons, Shrek 4-D, Mummy, Jurassic Park ride, and even Terminator, old as it is, all compare quite favorably with with e best of what Disney offers in similar types of attractions. Where USH doesn't meaure up is in theming and placemaking (althought Potter may accomplish that -- i havent been yet) and attractions for the whole family.

Californian Elitist

My recent trip to USH has me believing that uni has caught up to Disney in the ability to create amazing attractions for teens and adults. Transformers, the King Kong piece of the tram tour, the Simpsons, Shrek 4-D, Mummy, Jurassic Park ride, and even Terminator, old as it is, all compare quite favorably with with e best of what Disney offers in similar types of attractions. Where USH doesn't meaure up is in theming and placemaking (althought Potter may accomplish that -- i havent been yet) and attractions for the whole family.

Isn't Transformers AMAZING?! Oh my word, I was stunned after I got off that ride. It's fantastic.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yes, I know I'm probably the only person on earth who doesn't get a thrill up my leg about Spiderman. That's 100% just me. :rolleyes: At least let me explain. IMHO--my extremely humble opinion--the cardboard-flat queue at Spidey leaves much to be desired. It's almost a comic-book aesthetic, but on the cheap. Then the ride basically whisks you through 3-D screens and some blacklight sets while villains yell that they're gonna' get you. Your vehicle shakes every time they touch it. The final scene where you "fall" is impressive, but there's so much confusion leading up to it, I don't feel any connection to this ride. I get the same feeling from the Mummy. It's just a series of scenes where someone yells he's gonna' get you. (One way...or another...I'm gonna' find ya...I'm gonna' get ya, get ya, get ya, get ya...)

Better than the "something goes horribly wrong" or "____ goes missing" plot in so many other attractions:

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

Tom Morrow

FJ works because of the brief calm moments that lead up to the encounters. The flight through the observatory; the seconds of thrilling flight before the dragon attacks; the quidditch match; and the fully realized return over the water, into Hogwarts, to Harry and friends, to Dumbledore, and finally into the hall--it's storytelling at its best.
While I do agree that FJ is an absolutely incredible ride, I feel the story is lacking. Universal's premises are usually pretty good (you are agents training for MIB, you are muggles attending an open house lecture at Hogwarts, etc), but the actual plot of the rides tend to devolve into a lot of chaos and things being thrown in your face just for the sake of it. In Forbidden Journey, for example, why exactly do the dementors attack a Quidditch match? It isn't explained and it doesn't make sense, it exists for the sake of giving you the thrill of having them attack you. The climax of the action is very cliche' - "it's caving in!!" What is caving in, and why? You are then congradulated by the Hogwarts students, Harry, and Dumbledore even though you didn't do anything and if anything, Dumbledore should be mad at you for sneaking out.

Another poster mentioned that Disney always uses "something goes terribly wrong!", but if anything, I feel Disney has done a great job avoiding that with most of the recent efforts.

That said, this stuff doesn't really bother me that much, and I think their goal is just to give their demographic a lot of what it wants - action.

Universal's biggest issue right now is maintenance throughout all of IOA except WWOHP. Hogsmeade was incredible, while the rest of the park barely performed above Six Flags. It seems they're dumping all their budget into keeping WWOHP in top condition, which is understandable. Too bad the rest of the park suffers.
As someone who frequents all the Orlando parks and heavily scrutinizes show quality and upkeep, I strongly disagree here. You may not have seen IOA in the years leading up to WWOHP, but it was a mess. Ever since WWoHP opened, though, I am amazed at the upkeep. Everything looks fresh and new, everything works, the rides probably never looked and sounded better, and its extremely rare to see a major (or even minor) show effect not working. As we all know, the same can not be said for WDW.

Sure, Marvel Superhero Island and Toon Lagoon have theming comparable to Six Flags (though still much better - sometimes I doubt people on here have actually been to a Six Flags park), but they were built that way, its not a recent thing and its not neglect.

Hmmm...I wonder if it would be just as amazing in Orlando ;)
Im thinking that the two stroy type building would be a perfect way to utilize the small footprint (relativly speaking) of SS44. It would fit in New York area too.....
question for you whylightbulb...if they also take down the monsters cafe also, would they try to build in a stage control room into the new construction for the stage (i guess they call the hollywold bowl theatre) there? that would seem like it would open up a lot of room for mardi gras and summer concert series

Captain Chaos

Im thinking that the two stroy type building would be a perfect way to utilize the small footprint (relativly speaking) of SS44. It would fit in New York area too.....
question for you whylightbulb...if they also take down the monsters cafe also, would they try to build in a stage control room into the new construction for the stage (i guess they call the hollywold bowl theatre) there? that would seem like it would open up a lot of room for mardi gras and summer concert series

SS44 is possible, esp since they were doing balloon height testing... But couldn't it also go between MIB and Simpsons?

tirian

As someone who frequents all the Orlando parks and heavily scrutinizes show quality and upkeep, I strongly disagree here. You may not have seen IOA in the years leading up to WWOHP, but it was a mess. Ever since WWoHP opened, though, I am amazed at the upkeep. Everything looks fresh and new, everything works, the rides probably never looked and sounded better, and its extremely rare to see a major (or even minor) show effect not working. As we all know, the same can not be said for WDW.

Sure, Marvel Superhero Island and Toon Lagoon have theming comparable to Six Flags (though still much better - sometimes I doubt people on here have actually been to a Six Flags park), but they were built that way, its not a recent thing and it's not neglect.

Go stand in those queues, look at the massive areas of peeling paint and rust, and tell me it's not neglect.

And no, I'm not talking about Buzz Lightyear. :D

I've got to add that every employee except one was phenomenal at IOA, from the parking lot attendant to the woman who took my order in the Three Broomsticks. Everyone was smiling, relaxed, friendly, and helpful, except for some b**ch coordinator who was loading HP. :p

Captain Chaos

've got to add that every employee except one was phenomenal at IOA, from the parking lot attendant to the woman who took my order in the Three Broomsticks. Everyone was smiling, relaxed, friendly, and helpful, except for some b**ch coordinator who was loading HP. :p

She was in Slytherin ... They are so misunderstood LOL...

Tom Morrow

I've seen peeling paint and rust here and there, but I see it at WDW too. I'm willing to overlook it because IOA's attractions are looking pretty great overall.

Agreed about the guest service. I think I've mentioned it in other threads - Universal's guest service has VASTLY improved and, dare I say it? Rivals or surpasses WDW's current service.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom