Magical Express..Do you tip the driver?

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
I will admit, I have only done the Magical Express once, and while I think the idea of Disney trapping you on their property is beyond brilliant, I will never use the Magical Express as long as Iam able to drive.

The main reason is, I hate waiting for just about anything, but waiting for bussess is annoying, but another reason is...

Long story short, the one time I did do the Magical Express service, my family and I got stuck with a driver who had this huge sign by his seat saying something like please tip the driver on the way out, and while he did his little speach, he made it very clear, like 3 or 4 times that he appreciated tips. It wasn't funny, it was actually rude.

Now, if I get terrible service, I will not tip, but I usually tip rather handsomely even at average service at a restaurant, its just what people do, but for some reason, this irked me and the driver did nothing, other than drive me to the resort which was included in the price of my vacation, that would qualify for a tip. I was more than willing to load/take my own bags from the bus, which I did.

So Iam wondering, what did he do that deserves more than his hourly rate, and do you, if you take the Magical Express, tip your driver?

Jimmy Thick-Should I get tips for the posts I make here?

ml123_9

For me, I tip anyone that provides me with a service, rather it be a server or bus driver, as long as I have a bags down below. However, what I tip does depend on the quality of service. In your case with him basically begging, he would not get a tip from me. Just like when a server asks if you want change back. They usually lose a dollar or two just for that. I find it rude. So to answer your question, I do tip DME as long as they put a bag below and provide me with quality service. I usually tip $1 per bag.

bubbles1812

In my experience, my family always tipped the DME driver. Even if we did load our own bags (though I don't remember if that actually happened or not...dad might have helped them load the 5 family bags). But I can also remember our bus drivers were always polite and funny and tried to amp us up that we were arriving at Disney. That being said, I would seriously consider not giving the bus driver you had a tip...that is obnoxious. I'd even be ok with a sign saying "tips are appreciated" so long as he didn't beg like your driver seemed to be doing.

It's hard because I know all those people (or the majority) do make their wage really from their tips as everyone knows Disney pays crap to park employees.

AgentB911

To basically demand a tip, as this bus driver apparently did, is just plain rude. As a result, he/she would not recieve a tip from me. Don't beg for it. If a tip is deserved, a tip will be recieved.

On our first trip, I had not planned on tipping the driver. It wasn't until DW pointed out everyone else tipping. And then I felt obliged.

Mousekeeping was a different story. DD and I made envelopes for the mousekeepers, and their tip was budgeted out well in advance.

The Empress Lilly

I don't tip bus drivers. Not even when all the other tourists are tricked / pressured by a rude driver into thinking it is customary to tip the driver.

~ I did send a check to mr. Thick for opening this thread ~

melmood2000

Showing up and driving the bus is what they are paid to do in my opinion, but anything beyond that I will tip for like stowing bags for me or making my journey to disney more enjoyable.

WallyWorld

They lift bags so I don't have to....I tip.

If you don't tip them....at least tell them why....maybe things will change.

I am assuming you didn't....

Timekeeper

To basically demand a tip, as this bus driver apparently did, is just plain rude. As a result, he/she would not recieve a tip from me. Don't beg for it. If a tip is deserved, a tip will be recieved.

Agreed.

If you don't tip them....at least tell them why....maybe things will change.

I am assuming you didn't....

There's no need to lecture someone who is rude in the service that they provide. It's a waste of time, and likely to cause the recipient of the "verbal tip" to become even more agitated, rude, and result in an even more negative experience that you don't want to leave with memories of. If any comments/suggestions are to be made, they're best saved for upper management.

WallyWorld

I have a problem, I address the person I have a problem with. Hiding behind "upper management" helps no one else.

The drivers work hard....steep learning curve...when you look them in the eye, you realize they get it.

muse1983

Well I have never used Magical Express but I always make sure to say Thank You to the bus drivers on property when exiting the vehicle. I think that goes a long way sometimes since I don't necessarily hear anyone else saying anything. But to answer your original question, no I don't feel as if he has done anything to deserve a tip but he would definitely have no chance of it even entering my mind if he constantly mentioned it.

Rob562

I'm with the others in that I don't tip if the driver only drives the bus and I only have a carry-on bag (which has been the case every time I've taken DME, I just have my backpack, everything else was yellow-tagged).

But if the driver had stored bags for me under the bus, I'd tip $1/bag.

And in the past, I've seen a sign up above the windshield saying something like "Your driver is John Smith. Tips for excellent service gratefully appreciated."

-Rob

I_heart_Tigger

I have never had a ME driver handle bags for me so I don't tip. Also, I don't know if this is a new thing for them but the last two years my drivers also mentioned numerous times how much they would like a tip. I don't remember it being this way before 2010 but it got to an embarrasing level on my trip this year when he said the word "tip" about 6 times before he even started the bus.

luv

Never did it. Don't like busses.

But if they're handling your luggage, you ought to give them something...a buck a bag would do.

bubbles1812

I have never had a ME driver handle bags for me so I don't tip. Also, I don't know if this is a new thing for them but the last two years my drivers also mentioned numerous times how much they would like a tip. I don't remember it being this way before 2010 but it got to an embarrasing level on my trip this year when he said the word "tip" about 6 times before he even started the bus.

Maybe Disney reduced the wage of the bus drivers and that's why they are so desperate for tips? It's interesting it happened to both you and Jimmy. Or the bus drivers just decided to get bolder about asking, I don't know. I can't remember it ever being that way but I haven't been since 2006.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
I don't even know if those guys are on the Disney payroll to begin with or if Disney outsourced their services.

Jimmy Thick-But no one should have to deal with people begging for a tip...

real mad hatter

When In Rome!

Well we don't use ME as we fly into Sanford but always tip our driver,$1.00 per bag and it's usually three cases we bring,he's always grateful and replies " thank you sir " But when we arrive back in Scotland our pick up coach driver just sits in his seat and shouts " just put your cases in the back Jimmy " Does he get a tip from me? Of course he does " Get yourself to America and see how it's properly done ":wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom