Why GF is not "popular"?

Leo!

Hi all again,

Reading other threads like "how many days", I'm wondering why the grand floridian is not really popular. I mean, there's lots of members goin' to deluxe hotels but just a few to GF.

Just a comment: I've stayed there like a month ago and the hotel & services are really good, but maybe not worth of the $$ (just my opinion). I've stayed @ other "deluxe" hotels aroud the US, less than half of what GF cost and I had better room, amenities, services.

What other "deluxe" hotel inside WDW d I've to try next time?

Thanks in advance!

plaz10

I think it's because some see GF as having a "stuffy, stuck up" feel to it. I personally know when I'm there - even if in a skirt and heels for dinner, I feel underdressed just to be there.

I think it has less of a "WOO HOO! FUN TIMES" feel and more of a "yes fetch my tea and crumpets" feel.

The $500 + a night cost doesn't help popularity either.

Upvote 0

wdwfan100

We love the GF. It is an absolutely gorgeous resort. But my wife and I are more of the Poly/BC /WL types, rather than the GF types. Those resorts fit our personalities a little better. Sure there is a higher cost at the GF. But to us it is less about the cost (heck it's not like the other deluxe resorts are cheap.) and more about the place the will help us unwind the most. It's just resort preference.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Hi all again,

Reading other threads like "how many days", I'm wondering why the grand floridian is not really popular. I mean, there's lots of members goin' to deluxe hotels but just a few to GF.

Just a comment: I've stayed there like a month ago and the hotel & services are really good, but maybe not worth of the $$ (just my opinion). I've stayed @ other "deluxe" hotels aroud the US, less than half of what GF cost and I had better room, amenities, services.

What other "deluxe" hotel inside WDW d I've to try next time?

Thanks in advance!

I think you answered your own question. For what they charge, it should be the type of place where you should feel extremely pampered. However, you don't get any additional services or benefits there that you can't get at one of the other deluxe resorts.

For my money, the best deluxe resort (and my favorite place on property to stay) is the Boardwalk. Fantastic location (walk to 2 parks), lots to do onsite, easy walking distance of great restaurants, and a fun theme. Nothing tops it for me.

When I first read your title I thought you were talking about your girl friend.

That made me LOL! Imagine?!

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

GF is like God's waiting room. Bunch of grizzled stuffy fossils sitting in the lobby. And check out the scooter parking. Must be 100 deep. Ive stayed at WL and that seemed more personable crowd.

Narcoose rocks. Awesome food and view.

Upvote 0

menamechris

It's the price. I think the majority of vacationers would be happier putting that extra hundred dollars a night toward something else. I stayed there, and while I loved the resort, it was extremely overpriced for the experience.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

GF is like God's waiting room. Bunch of grizzled stuffy fossils sitting in the lobby. And check out the scooter parking. Must be 100 deep.

Is there an award for most ignorant post of the year? If so, this has got to be a strong contender.

GF is very popular. Just might not seem so on this board. But it's occupancy levels are among the highest in WDW.

Truth be told, I think a lot of people just say they don't like it because they can't afford to stay there. May sound rude, but it's true.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I never thought the GF was aloof by any means.

My nanny always took us swimming at the GF while mumsie and daddy had tea at V&A's. Our butler would always bring us warm towels for our wet tushes so we wouldn't have to use the ones that others may have touched with their unclean hands.

:lookaroun

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I never thought the GF was aloof by any means.

My nanny always took us swimming at the GF while mumsie and daddy had tea at V&A's. Our butler would always bring us warm towels for our wet tushes so we wouldn't have to use the ones that others may have touched with their unclean hands.

:lookaroun

:lol:

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

Is there an award for most ignorant post of the year? If so, this has got to be a strong contender.

GF is very popular. Just might not seem so on this board. But it's occupancy levels are among the highest in WDW.

Truth be told, I think a lot of people just say they don't like it because they can't afford to stay there. May sound rude, but it's true.

Do you want to mail it or is there a ceremony I need attend? :p

Upvote 0

menamechris

I don't think its a matter of liking it or not - its the fact that the GF is intentionally catering to a certain demographic. I can think of many other resorts that appeal to people to a much greater degree than the GF...

Upvote 0

Todd L

Like most people said...Its beautiful but a little "stuffy" for my taste..I want to run around in cargo shorts and a Button down shirt and feel like I'm not out of place doing it.

Upvote 0

DaGoof00

The Grand is an Excellent Resort Hotel; friendly staff AND guests. When first staying there, I thought it was going to be stuffy and lack families - ie., be more for older folks.

Nothing was further from the truth. There are families, people dressed casually, many activities and of course the fantastic vibe. It's just a monorail stop ride away from the Magic Kingdom, and is more calm than the hustle and bustle of the Epcot Resorts.

Need to go to the Poly for dinner? Just walk over, or enjoy the food at the Grand. Many also state how they would not pay to eat at V&A's. I have now done it twice, and will continue to do it. Few complain about going out to dinner in DTD and then seeing Cirque - look at V&A's as dinner with show. Great food, great atmosphere (very calming), and a show - the way you are treated, the descriptions of all the food.

As was previously stated, people just look at the price and look away. I think the Grand gets a bad rep by people who don't stay there because they cannot or will not pay the money to stay there; as with most things in society, this leads to generalization of what it may be like. While there are "stuck up" folks that will certainly be there - you will find them on all price tiers, from value to deluxe.

Don't knock it until you try it. While I love, and would stay at any Disney resort hotel, the Grand to me is now my yearly home away from home at WDW once a year! It is relaxing yet close to the magic, offers multiple recreational activities, different modes of transportation, quick access around the MK resort area, and a nice backdrop of Cinderella's Castle. It caters to guests of ALL ages (I'm 24, love it; my parents (late 50's) love it; close friends of mine who travel with me (Within 8+years of my age) also love it

Although it's not for everyone, I hope some of you will try the Grand, I doubt you would be disappointed!

Cheers! :king:

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

We just got back from GF a week ago. We thought it was stuffy from reports here, but way the opposite! People were so polite, and I mean guests. CM's were awesome. Very helpful and into helping us out. We didnt realize that they had a waterslide and activities for kids until the third day. A great resort for families. Everyone at the pool wearing their robes. Movies at night. Turn down service. A true surprise from what we expected!!!! This resort gets a bad nod for no reason. It is a true Magical Experience. Totally an awesome experience!!! From bell hops to maids, to general people, a much better feeling than a moderate, or even POLY!!!!! This now is our new home. It's a community of good people. Can't believe the friendliest of guests. Everyone seems so polite and happy to be here. No more mods for us, it's either here or values, which give a great vibe as well!!!

Upvote 0

yankspy

I like it. We have stayed there twice. It is far from stuffy. How stuffy can a place be that has character meals? Great location, great restaurants, and a very relaxing atmosphere as well.

Upvote 0

The Empress Lilly

It's not any stuffiness I mind. The problem for me is the GF is too formal to me to do a WDW vacation.

I wear shorts, return all sweaty and stinky, pizza stains all over my clothes.

I don't want to mingle with a more formal crowd. And possibly the reverse. :shrug:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom