Why GF is not "popular"?

Leo!

Hi all again,

Reading other threads like "how many days", I'm wondering why the grand floridian is not really popular. I mean, there's lots of members goin' to deluxe hotels but just a few to GF.

Just a comment: I've stayed there like a month ago and the hotel & services are really good, but maybe not worth of the $$ (just my opinion). I've stayed @ other "deluxe" hotels aroud the US, less than half of what GF cost and I had better room, amenities, services.

What other "deluxe" hotel inside WDW d I've to try next time?

Thanks in advance!

Obi

My neighbor is a multi-millionaire. Doesn't live in a mansion, drives an old Toyota, wears Wrangler jeans and a Hanes white tee.

People that think they have to "dress up" to show or act like they have money make him laugh. One that note. He DOES own DVC and stays at OKW twice a year. Everytime he goes he goes typical tourist fashion :lookaroun

that's why he's a multi-millionaire. doesn't go off spending all kinds of money on a fancy house, car, clothes and so on... smart if you ask me...

Upvote 0

Plowboy

I never thought the GF was aloof by any means.

My nanny always took us swimming at the GF while mumsie and daddy had tea at V&A's. Our butler would always bring us warm towels for our wet tushes so we wouldn't have to use the ones that others may have touched with their unclean hands.

:lookaroun
Speaking for the great unwashed I say we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sohappy:

Just kidding. It's a nice resort, but @ 5 bills/nt (or whatever) I couldn't have fun...

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I have visited the GF lobby a few times, once at christmas of course to see the gingerbread house. I would never stay there though, as the theme does not appeal to my DW and I. The price is also a contributing factor. Our fav has been the WL, but we do plan to try Yacht or BC sometime soon. My issue with the GF theme has always been that it strikes me as a bit antiseptic. I feel as if I am entering the lobby of a hospital, not a hotel. I know others love the place, and I really don't mean to belittle your opinion....it just doesn't work for me. :shrug:

How can the price be a factor if you're willing to stay at the Yacht Club? It's just a bit more expensive to stay at the GF.

Having stayed at both (and having left the YC early) I actually feel the opposite. For what it's worth (just pointing it out as I'm a book nut), the Unofficial Guide lists the Grand Floridian as the best Deluxe by it's readers, and the Yacht Club as the worst.

Upvote 0

DrummerAlly

Here's my theory... the people who tend to be the Disney-aholics are people that really enjoy the theming and immersion into something unusual (not all of us obviously) that they can't get outside of Disney. I'm guessing that most of us care more about fun than luxury on a WDW vacation. I feel as though the lavish-ness of the GF is something I could see in a really nice hotel in NYC or any other upscale city. Every time I watch them feature super fancy hotels on the travel channel I think "aah.. that looks like the GF!". For this reason, I would venture to bet that GF as the highest percentage of first time (and only time) WDW visitors among the deluxe resorts.

I've never stayed at the GF, but I've been there for dinner and its absolutely lovely. My husband and I sat in the lobby and listened to the orchestra, pulled up room prices on our phones and :eek:. We were staying at the YC on that trip so we were accustomed to high room prices, but the jump between the YC and the GF was quite a bit.

Maybe we'll stay there one day, but when at Disney, I'd rather stay at a resort that immerses me in the unusual rather than luxury. Our favorite resort? Animal Kingdom Lodge!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

My neighbor is a multi-millionaire. Doesn't live in a mansion, drives an old Toyota, wears Wrangler jeans and a Hanes white tee.

People that think they have to "dress up" to show or act like they have money make him laugh. One that note. He DOES own DVC and stays at OKW twice a year. Everytime he goes he goes typical tourist fashion :lookaroun

I know a guy who is the same way. His car is like 20 years old as well. He said if its not broke don't fix it.

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

The cost does not fit what you get. The rooms are no different then if you went to another resort.

Our last stay over labor day weekend was nice (we got it for 169 a night) but the buildings smelled musty and need manintenance.

Parking was ridiculous. You have to park across the street, pretty far away.
The closest parking is for valet. That makes no sense.

Other than that is a very beautioful place and everyone is pretty nice.
You do get turn down service with chocolates :)

And with the monorails not running for Extra Magic Hours it is a real pain getting back from Epcot, MK was not to bad on boats.

Upvote 0

KaneMarko

I have to agree with the folks that say it's probably primarily due to price. It's the most expensive of the Deluxe Resorts.

Our personal favorite resort is Animal Kingdom Lodge. Which is where we stayed last November. But we did a tour of all the deluxe resorts. I can see why people would say GF appears stuffy due to the decor. But when we were there we were in jeans, t-shirts flip flops and tennis shoes and felt we fit right in as most of the people there were in similar attire. I think the decor just gives it this feel of "high society". But we felt it was pretty relaxed there.

Upvote 0

donaldfan

Have stayed at the Poly and BW multiple times and LOVE both. Primarily stay at the Poly.

Stayed at the Grand once -- arrived at the resort at 9AM, our room was still not ready at 5PM. We had to basically force them to give us our keys so we could get ready for dinner. I didn't care that the beds weren't made yet -- just needed a place to shower.

Our room requests were completely ignored, in fact we had the exact opposite of what we had requested. We ALWAYS get our room request at the Poly -- I know that a request is just that -- a request, but I'm just sayin'.

And finally, our hot water in our room only worked after letting it run for about ten minutes. The hotel was full and they could not move us, there was nothing they could do to resolve the situation. For the prices they charge you shouldn't have to run the hot water for 10 minutes prior to showering.

Upvote 0

harryk

I think you answered your own question. For what they charge, it should be the type of place where you should feel extremely pampered. However, you don't get any additional services or benefits there that you can't get at one of the other deluxe resorts.

For my money, the best deluxe resort (and my favorite place on property to stay) is the Boardwalk. Fantastic location (walk to 2 parks), lots to do onsite, easy walking distance of great restaurants, and a fun theme. Nothing tops it for me.

That made me LOL! Imagine?!

Have stayed at BWV several times (in December) and have found that the events along the Boardwalk (entertainers) are nowhere. A basketball hoop for prizes is open - every now and then - and have seen ONE sidewalk entertainer. Each stay has been for at least 7 nights. So where are the events and fun along the boardwalk?

Upvote 0

plaz10

It's a personal perception that the grand floridian has an "upper class" feeling to it. It's a fancy place. You want to look nice when in a nice place. You don't want to show up at Victoria and Alberts in sweatpants! :lol: It's my personal feeling that I feel under dressed to be just walking around the lobby. Regardless of if I have millions of dollars or am barely surviving - I feel underdressed eating at the GF in street clothes. But thats just me

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I'm not the world's most cosmopolitan person, but I've seen enough people dressed ultra-casual in "Upscale" resorts throghout my travels that I don't worry about what I wear when I walk into Grand Floridian. For me, it's primarily cost - before joining DVC the only "Deluxe" resort where I stayed was the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which I loved, even with absolutely no view to speak of. Now that we are DVC, I'm tempted to stay at GF when/if it joins the "family" (wow, doesn't THAT sound ominous, haha). But it'll be primarily for the location - it's a beautiful resort, and while the "stuffiness" of it doesn't affect me, it's also not a theme that attracts me. Love visiting there, dining there. But it'd be the last of the monorail resorts I'd choose if money were no object or if there were all DVC.

Upvote 0

Todd L

We just got back from GF a week ago. We thought it was stuffy from reports here, but way the opposite! People were so polite, and I mean guests. CM's were awesome. Very helpful and into helping us out. We didnt realize that they had a waterslide and activities for kids until the third day. A great resort for families. Everyone at the pool wearing their robes. Movies at night. Turn down service. A true surprise from what we expected!!!! This resort gets a bad nod for no reason. It is a true Magical Experience. Totally an awesome experience!!! From bell hops to maids, to general people, a much better feeling than a moderate, or even POLY!!!!! This now is our new home. It's a community of good people. Can't believe the friendliest of guests. Everyone seems so polite and happy to be here. No more mods for us, it's either here or values, which give a great vibe as well!!!

I gotta admit..I dont know very much about the place . I was really under the Impression that It was a Stuffy over priced place. Makes me think I should go check it out.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I gotta admit..I dont know very much about the place . I was really under the Impression that It was a Stuffy over priced place. Makes me think I should go check it out.

At the very least have a meal there when you plan to go to the MK anyway. Maybe breakfast before going to the park, or break up the day with lunch.

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

Because I live a couple of hours away from WDW, I do not stay at the resorts often. I have stayed at a resort within each level offered by Disney, but never at the Grand Floridian. I have, however, eaten breakfast at the Grand Floridian twice, and roamed throughout the hotel afterward. Perhaps it’s because people in South Florida tend to dress casually at all times, but I have never felt under-dressed or socially unfit when perusing the GF.

I feel that Disney resorts offer “something for everyone”. In the mood for over the top whimsy? Values. In the mood for visually pleasant? Moderates. In the mood for more elegant surroundings? Deluxe. Additionally, there is a degree of architectural diversity within each level for each need and desire.

In short, I believe that it’s a case of diverse options for diverse needs. To each their own.

Upvote 0

runskimom

Gf

My fam LOVES the GF and it is our favorite. We have a hard time thinking about staying at other deluxes because it is just so great for us. We've got 2 young kids, and took grandparents last trip and wore typical Disney gear -- shorts, t's sandals, sneakers and NEVER felt out of place. That's what everybody else was wearing too, btw. The pools are phenomenal for the kids and all the CM's are really friendly. It is a restful spot just one monorail stop away from MK!

Upvote 0

smw

this notion that the gf is "formal" obviously comes from people who've not been. i've stayed there with my family several times and we're almost always "t-shirt people." there's nothing formal aside from the design of the place.

each of the hotels has a vibe or theme to them, but that doesnt mean *you* have to conform to it. do people staying at the polynesian only wear hawaiian shirts, eat pineapple all day, and speak hawaiian?

Upvote 0

harryk

Until we purchased ownership in DVC (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) we stayed at the Grand Floridian, (used their Grand Plan), and found that this resort more than met our needs. No, it was not just the chocolates on the turned down beds each day. The entire atmosphere suggests relaxation. From the quietness of the front desk area, the music in the main atrium, the easy on the eyes decor, we found that this was the place to relax.
There has never been a feeling of stuffiness - just relaxation.
I would always, and have always recommended this resort to our friends who have headed off to WDW and have always received great reports back from them when they have stayed there.

So - I guess it is all about opinions - some love it, others don't so they have to find fault - not that it just does not meet their 'taste'.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom