Why GF is not "popular"?

Leo!

Hi all again,

Reading other threads like "how many days", I'm wondering why the grand floridian is not really popular. I mean, there's lots of members goin' to deluxe hotels but just a few to GF.

Just a comment: I've stayed there like a month ago and the hotel & services are really good, but maybe not worth of the $$ (just my opinion). I've stayed @ other "deluxe" hotels aroud the US, less than half of what GF cost and I had better room, amenities, services.

What other "deluxe" hotel inside WDW d I've to try next time?

Thanks in advance!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
We just got back from GF a week ago. We thought it was stuffy from reports here, but way the opposite! People were so polite, and I mean guests. CM's were awesome. Very helpful and into helping us out. We didnt realize that they had a waterslide and activities for kids until the third day. A great resort for families. Everyone at the pool wearing their robes. Movies at night. Turn down service. A true surprise from what we expected!!!! This resort gets a bad nod for no reason. It is a true Magical Experience. Totally an awesome experience!!! From bell hops to maids, to general people, a much better feeling than a moderate, or even POLY!!!!! This now is our new home. It's a community of good people. Can't believe the friendliest of guests. Everyone seems so polite and happy to be here. No more mods for us, it's either here or values, which give a great vibe as well!!!

Why were people wearing robes at the pool?? :shrug:

Upvote 0

durangojim

We used to love staying at the GF and found it wonderful with and without kids. We would always stay in a MK view room. Unfortunately as the prices increased each year, it seemed like the quality and service declined. We realized that we enjoyed staying at the BC, WL, and now Poly just as much if not more so, so that's where we choose to spend our money now. We'll go back to the GF one day and give it another shot, but probably not for a couple of years.

Upvote 0

desertrat

The price difference between the poly and the Gf is not that much. My Dh won't stay at the GF. He says he doesn't feel comfortable walking around in a t-shirt, swimtrunks and flip flops there.:shrug:We stay at the poly and walk over to the GF for dinner a few nights. I on the other hand love the GF , and I hope I can talk him into staying there someday.

Upvote 0

dave&di

The GF is my favourite resort, stayed in '08 and will be again next year, its not too formal, my BF and I walk around in our casual clothes and baseball caps with no problem! Most people I encounter there look the same and aren't all sipping tea with their pinkies sticking out! (thats little finger, get your minds out the gutter!)

One reason I enjoy the GF is due to the lack of children! We stayed at the Poly last year and loved it but it was too hectic.

Upvote 0

lilredfoxie

its probably price more than anything, but there's also other great ones in the Deluxe category, such as the Yacht and Beach club which has easy access to Epcot and Stormalong bay.

The Contemporary is my personal favorite out of the set because of its modern decor.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I actually think the Grand Floridian is incredibly popular, just not around the large fan base communities. I also think that the theory of social proof comes into play a lot here as well. People read about how many others like Polynesian or Beach Club and they become the best places to stay. I would venture to guess that most people who knock the GF haven't stayed there before. My family (where I am the only real Disney fanatic) has stayed at nearly all the deluxe resorts and my mom and sister easily called the GF their favorite.

Upvote 0

SMZ MD

I was worried about GF because of the rep here and elsewhere about it being a bit stuffy. Had the option to stay there for a conference and found that to not be the case. Both guests and employees were really nice and informal. We have 3 kids who are very active and did not feel out of place. There were lots of children there. Also got a nice conference discount on the room so no rack rates. The only time I felt a little uncomfortable was when we were at the pool one day and the lifeguards were asking everyone there for room card ID to swim in the pool. Made me feel a little like the Clampetts on vacation at the cement pond.

Upvote 0

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I personally know when I'm there - even if in a skirt and heels for dinner, I feel underdressed just to be there.

My neighbor is a multi-millionaire. Doesn't live in a mansion, drives an old Toyota, wears Wrangler jeans and a Hanes white tee.

People that think they have to "dress up" to show or act like they have money make him laugh. One that note. He DOES own DVC and stays at OKW twice a year. Everytime he goes he goes typical tourist fashion :lookaroun

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I was worried about GF because of the rep here and elsewhere about it being a bit stuffy. Had the option to stay there for a conference and found that to not be the case. Both guests and employees were really nice and informal. We have 3 kids who are very active and did not feel out of place. There were lots of children there. Also got a nice conference discount on the room so no rack rates. The only time I felt a little uncomfortable was when we were at the pool one day and the lifeguards were asking everyone there for room card ID to swim in the pool. Made me feel a little like the Clampetts on vacation at the cement pond.

This has been happening more often at the deluxe resort pools lately as they are trying to prevent pool hopping. At Yacht and Beach club, you have to present your room key to get towels and a bracelet in order to use the pool.

Upvote 0

jlevis

This has been happening more often at the deluxe resort pools lately as they are trying to prevent pool hopping. At Yacht and Beach club, you have to present your room key to get towels and a bracelet in order to use the pool.

We're Marriott Vacation Club owners and this happens at our resorts also.

Upvote 0

Did Knee

I have visited the GF lobby a few times, once at christmas of course to see the gingerbread house. I would never stay there though, as the theme does not appeal to my DW and I. The price is also a contributing factor. Our fav has been the WL, but we do plan to try Yacht or BC sometime soon. My issue with the GF theme has always been that it strikes me as a bit antiseptic. I feel as if I am entering the lobby of a hospital, not a hotel. I know others love the place, and I really don't mean to belittle your opinion....it just doesn't work for me. :shrug:

Upvote 0

durangojim

Yep, be glad that they do that. I've had the unfortunate luck to run into people who were using Stormalong bay who weren't staying at BC and it wasn't a pleasant experience (very rude and iconsiderate, spilling their beer into the pool and using some language around my kids I didn't care for them to hear).

Upvote 0

SMZ MD

That's good to know we weren't being singled out. My husband was worried we looked too much like hillbillies. May have been the NASCAR and Steelers Beach towels!!

Upvote 0

dave&di

I have visited the GF lobby a few times, once at christmas of course to see the gingerbread house. I would never stay there though, as the theme does not appeal to my DW and I. The price is also a contributing factor. Our fav has been the WL, but we do plan to try Yacht or BC sometime soon. My issue with the GF theme has always been that it strikes me as a bit antiseptic. I feel as if I am entering the lobby of a hospital, not a hotel. I know others love the place, and I really don't mean to belittle your opinion....it just doesn't work for me. :shrug:

Luckily I've never had to go to an American hospital but they sound amazing!:lol:

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

As a volunteer EMT, I have been in many hospitals. Can't say any one of them has ever invoked feelings of the Grand Floridian, or any hotel for that matter.

Upvote 0

ryguy

I think the Contemporary is just as stuffy. Anywhere there is a convention center makes things awkward. Nothing worse then getting in a elevator with a person who is in a suit and tie and your in your trunks and flops. The few times I have stayed at the Grand I found the rooms to be noisy, the walls were paper thin. Literally could here every word from the room next door. So I frequent other resorts that have quieter rooms.

Upvote 0

KingdomofDreams

Resort preferences are usually a matter of personal appeal, but I'm sure the price point puts quite a few people off. Many people simply can't afford it, others could afford it but just don't want to stay there enough to lay down the cash. The location of the GF is fabulous, but the theming really doesn't do much for me. For us, it would not be worth the money. In all honesty, if I had all the money in the world and could stay wherever I wanted, the GF would be pretty far down the list - due only to my personal tastes and what I'm looking for while on vacation at WDW.

A good test would be if you had complete freedom of choice to stay at any of the WDW Resorts for free would you choose the GF?

I'd probably still go with AKL, BC or maybe I'd give the Poly a try, although I've read some concerning things around here about the cleanliness at the Poly which would make me think twice about that resort.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom