AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
But the Harry Potter theme is not going to be stale anytime soon. It is a proven commodity and has reached a Star Wars type level. The avatar theme is already very stale and there is no guarantee that the sequels for Avatar will regain even close to the same interest.

You wanna know Avatar's fate probably is: Jurassic Park or the Matrix. Revolutionary 1st movies with mediocre sequels.

You can bet that Iger and Co have seen advance ideas/materials relating to the sequels and are convinced that Cameron is onto a good thing. This adds more pressure to make the sequels a success. It is a gamble, as these things always are, but it could pay off big time.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
There is a difference between message and theme. Avatar fits the message of Animal Kingdom, it however does not fit the theme. The theme is animals, natural environments, and human culture and mythology which has truth in it. Science fiction does not fit the theme of AK although it may coincide with the message.

I'll take that argument....However, I do have faith that Disney can cross that bridge, and make it relevant to the park.

Thank you for having a valid argument....I was beginning to lose faith that we would see one.

stitchcastle

Where did I say it was "great"? We're not discussing the qualities of each ride on a subjective level, we're discussing themes. It's not that hard to follow.

exactly, we're discussing themes. The Avatar theme does not fit in with Animal Kingdom, sure the message does but the theme doesn't.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Could this be an adpatation of the blue sky idea of retheming future world with the rainforest type rollercoaster that was thrown out there?

ooh thats a throwback. I think a closer link for this has been the desire to do something big at DAK, and is probably more a derivative of what was being looked at with Beastly Kingdom.

WDWGoof07

Going the Avatar route allows the imagineers to mix 2 things they're good at, sci-fi architecture (Tomorrowland, Star Tours, Epcot) with large, dinosaur-shaped animatronics (Universe of Energy, Countdown to Extinction, Journey to the Center of the Earth, etc.)
This should play right to their strengths.
This is why I'm a little worried about how this is going to play out in DAK. The whole "wild future" thing going on in Avatar does sound like an appealing mash-up for a theme park setting...except in DAK. Much of the appeal of DAK lies in its very organic ambiance and realism, and, in my opinion, the humans' architecture (as in the base, aircraft, etc.) are too polished and "cold steel" for DAK.

I still think that the thematic connection to DAK is tenuous, and I didn't like Avatar. But I'll try anything once, and I appreciated the visuals in the movie. Hopefully this will turn out to be a case of "ride surpasses movie" for me.

Just too bad it couldn't be Beastly Kingdom....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But the Harry Potter theme is not going to be stale anytime soon. It is a proven commodity and has reached a Star Wars type level. The avatar theme is already very stale and there is no guarantee that the sequels for Avatar will regain even close to the same interest.

You wanna know Avatar's fate probably is: Jurassic Park or the Matrix. Revolutionary 1st movies with mediocre sequels.
I think you missed my point. It doesn't matter if the movie is good, bad, remembered or not. A top grade E ticket will work regardless.

baymenxpac

sure, just look at the hodgepodge of a thematic mess that is Disney's Hollywood Studios. That's the direction DAK is going with that sort of thinking.

i mean...i guess? i personally think the only thing really hodgepodgey about DHS is the hat in the middle of an old hollywood vibe. but again, i really think they can quell a lot of concerns in the final execution.

Figments Friend

-

This news is absolutely stunning...no matter how people choose to view it. I think we are in for one hell of a ride peeps...so better hang on tight.

This thread alone ( already 40+pages in a mere few hours..) is just the beginning....!

Me like. Me happy. Me very excited.

DAK additions at last...in a huge way!!!

:sohappy:

stitchcastle

A tip of my cap to your stamina......To stir the pot this long is indeed a formidable task :wave:

Well I'm very passionate about Animal Kingdom, it's my favorite park in all of WDW, precisely because it's so far managed to keep its over-all theme largely intact. This current development will signal the end to that.

jt04

For those who don't think this fits in with DAK do not understand Rohde very well. I guarantee this is a perfect match for him. Though I find the Avatar message a bit heavy handed it does resonate with young people and the thought of Cameron and possibly Rohde working together is truly mind boggling.

WDWGoof07

There is a difference between message and theme. Avatar fits the message of Animal Kingdom, it however does not fit the theme. The theme is animals, natural environments, and human culture and mythology which has truth in it. Science fiction does not fit the theme of AK although it may coincide with the message.
I'm not necessarily opposed to this project at this point, but I do have some misgivings about it. This post succinctly states why. Kudos, sir.

artbell2

I guess my next question is this - is there any other news baking in the oven that we don't know about?

I've been wondering about transportation. With Fantasyland expansion, Avatar land, Downtown Disney expansion, new hotels, shopping, etc. How do you move all those people from point A to Point B. I imagine if they sink 400 million in Avatar land there will probably be another entrance.

Mike

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just too bad it couldn't be Beastly Kingdom....

You say that, but Beastly Kingdom never had any fully developed block-buster attractions. Just internet hype of "coasters" and dragons. Not saying Beastly Kingdom couldn't have been good, but so little was ever officially released on the subject, it seems impossible to say it could be preferred.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom