AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Kamikaze

Most likely a matter of getting contracts in place. Disney have operated without D23 Expo for years, they don't need to queue everything up to be announced there.

I understand that, but it was only a few weeks ago. With the distinct lack of WDW based announcements, you would have thought they would have tried to fit this in there just to avoid the backlash that happened.

Scuttle

Wow 12 pages already! I just recently watched Avatar out of shear boredom and it was somewhat good. I am excited about the news and cannot wait for something new to come to AK. Like previous posters said I have never even seen Star Wars but I still enjoy Star Tours. I however will never set foot on ToT, lol.

Really!? Well your missing out and I highly advise to build up the courage and go atleast once. Because it is, from an Imagineering standpoint, the greatest ride at WDW. The entire ride is perfect.

durangojim

Avatar was an OK movie, and certainly successful, but I hope they're not thinking this has the long term reliability of Harry Potter.

Seems like an odd fit at Animal Kingdom. Would be better suited at DHS.

Depending on the size of the land and it's emphasis on nature, along with whatever immersive experiences are in store for guests, I'd have a hard time seeing this anywhere but AK.

stitchcastle

So people are upset because it's not Beastly Kingdom which is based on fictional creatures created by the imaginations of human beings but are not actually real-life animals? How is this different except that the storyteller happens to be contemporary?

It's different because those Dragons and unicorns and griffins were fictional creatures that have shaped human history and mythology for thousands of years without having to be real.

This contemporary storyteller's imaginary animals are not even a big internet presence let alone be the focus of an entire culture.

DocMcHulk

Original Poster
I understand that, but it was only a few weeks ago. With the distinct lack of WDW based announcements, you would have thought they would have tried to fit this in there just to avoid the backlash that happened.

I believe the Parks and Resorts presentation was shortened by 30 minutes a little bit before the Expo. There could be the possibility they EXPECTED to announce this, but had to wait a little longer.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Avatar was an OK movie, and certainly successful, but I hope they're not thinking this has the long term reliability of Harry Potter.

Seems like an odd fit at Animal Kingdom. Would be better suited at DHS.
The entire theme of this movie was conservation. How does this not fit in at AK? Besides they have loads more room at AK.

julia_

Not a lot. Avatar ain't no Harry Potter. You don't see kids running around pretending to be Na'Vi. You don't see whole websites and message boards devoted to the world of Pandora, I bet you you can't even find 5 people who know the names of the main characters.

Disney could've easily exploited their other big property by building a Star Wars land somewhere as their answer to Potter.

Don't forget that there are two Avatar sequels in the making...

Brian Noble

Was Song of the South a great movie? Do kids run around pretending to be Uncle Remus?

No. But Splash Mountain is one heck of an attraction.

There is a LOT of material to work with here. Unless they completely sail off the deep end, something pretty interesting ought to come out of it.

JustInTime

I wonder how much of DAK will be consumed because of this announcement? We all know from other park expansions and announcements that when new lands come around designs usually include retheming existing attractions or removing existing lands to make way for the new land.

Let's speculate...What land or attractions will be redone? I'd love to see an entire new land added to DAK, but I'm sure the financials of a totally new land with 2 or 3 new attractions is not feasible. I'm holding out judement until I see what is sacrificed to make way for this concept.

Nothing. Disney Blog made it very clear that this would be an entire new land. Disney is money hungry but not stupid. They are doing this strictly because Universals numbers scare the crap out of them and Animal Kingdom closes at 4:00 daily because there are not enough rides. They are not going to close attractions just to bring this. It would solve their 2 main problems. That would actually make it worse because re-theming an old land would add CRAZY attendance numbers and the capacity would stay the same. So lets get off this train now, please.

How about a World Of Color Avatar attraction? It would add the needed night-time entertainment and the research and development is already there. Plus we have to keep in mind that the new Avatar film is taking place in Pandora's Oceans. Which opens up the possibility for tons of aquatic life AND a World Of Color water show. BAM!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wonder how much of DAK will be consumed because of this announcement? We all know from other park expansions and announcements that when new lands come around designs usually include retheming existing attractions or removing existing lands to make way for expansion
nothing worthy of note should need to be removed.

captainkidd

Disney could've easily exploited their other big property by building a Star Wars land somewhere as their answer to Potter.

This.

Why they haven't done this yet is mind boggling.

I think Universal should retaliate with a whole land dedicated to Twilight. You could have vampires walking around that sparkle when it's sunny outside. Be a cool special effect.

cynic710

I've said it before. Disney made a huge, huge mistake passing on "Harry Potter." Here, we see them scrambling to correct that extremely costly "pass."

"Avatar" is completely the wrong counter-move, as the film already feels dated and stale. Plus, you absolutely KNOW that this new "land" will just be the mothballed concepts for "Beastly Kingdom" draped in Na'vi blue. Some "imagineer" clearly sold Iger on how cheap it would be just to trade Dueling Dragons for dueling orange, striped teradactyls.

The better and more on-point counter-move to Potter would have been a Middle Earth-themed expansion -- especially with the 2 new "Hobbit" films on deck.

you do realize the dueling dragons ride is/was in universal right?

anyway, i think it fits because of its tie in to nature and living with the world, middle earth would almost come off as copying potter for the magic of it all. plus, what kind of rides could be LOTR themed? riding the trees?

SleepingMonk

I've heard some silly (for TDO) figures mentioned.

Compare those numbers with the numbers for the FLE.

People are setting themselves up for a major disappointment with this.

They might be spending a billion dollars worldwide, they're not spending even half that in Florida.

This won't be another gate, it won't even be a full "land". You'll get one major ride and some shops at most.

Maybe.

muse1983

Really!? Well your missing out and I highly advise to build up the courage and go atleast once. Because it is, from an Imagineering standpoint, the greatest ride at WDW. The entire ride is perfect.

100% agree, ToT is indeed a PERFECT experience from beginning to end. Back to the original topic, I love this news! Do I think Avatar was a classic film? Absolutely not, but I do think it will be a EXTREMELY NEEDED addition to AK and am looking forward to how they are going to incorporate it.

julia_

Was Song of the South a great movie? Do kids run around pretending to be Uncle Remus?

No. But Splash Mountain is one heck of an attraction.

There is a LOT of material to work with here. Unless they completely sail off the deep end, something pretty interesting ought to come out of it.

Where's the Like button?

nerdboyrockstar

I honestly expected this more at Universal than anywhere at Disney. And even so, if it was going to Disney, I would figure DHS before AK but honestly, I don't care where it is as long as we're going to get some fantastically themed experiences.

fractal

off the "wires" from the WSJ article. This is pretty exciting!

Construction on the area within Disney World's Animal Kingdom, which executives called a "land," is to begin in early 2013 and include rides, attractions, entertainment and restaurants. The Disney World land is likely to cost an estimated $400 million, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Plans haven't been fully fleshed out, the executives said. Speaking at a Tuesday morning press conference, Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Thomas Staggs said: "We're just beginning the development phase on this project." The attractions are to be created by Walt Disney's ride designers, known as Imagineers, in collaboration with Mr. Cameron. Mr. Cameron said that the attractions at the land were likely to include re-creations of environments from "Avatar," and possibly from two sequels that are planned for release in 2014 and 2015.

In screenings of "Avatar," Mr. Cameron said, "The scenes people liked best weren't the obvious ones, like the big battles." Instead, he said, the favorites were "the creatures, learning to fly, being in the forest at night. The impression we got was that people just liked being in that world." Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger said that the company is likely to add "Avatar" attractions at its other theme parks around the world, though he said no plans had been made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom