Say Cheese! Mickey Is catching you with Red Lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Just saw this on MousePlanet and thought I'd bring it up..

From MousePlanet: Red light cameras have been installed at traffic lights across property. The cameras are similar to those that have been installed around Orlando and Orange County. Notable locations are at many lights along Buena Vista Drive. Please be careful driving, and remember that no time is a good time to run a red light..

Wilt Dasney

I've never encountered one of these cameras where I live, but I've read a lot about them. One thing I've always wondered about is whether they offer any kind of "grace period" before nailing you....e.g., if you enter an intersection while a light is yellow but go under the light a fraction of a second after it turns red, can you expect a ticket in the mail?

slappy magoo

I've never encountered one of these cameras where I live, but I've read a lot about them. One thing I've always wondered about is whether they offer any kind of "grace period" before nailing you....e.g., if you enter an intersection while a light is yellow but go under the light a fraction of a second after it turns red, can you expect a ticket in the mail?

Well, yellow DOES in theory mean "slow down," so you won't have to wonder if you'll make the light or not.

The Empress Lilly

Excellent. Traffic can never be safe enough. No driving through red light means one will never even know the camera's are there.

Wilt Dasney

Well, yellow DOES in theory mean "slow down," so you won't have to wonder if you'll make the light or not.

Which is all well and good, unless you're so close to the intersection or have a friendly tailgater so close that braking would be more hazardous than making the light. Thus the question. :shrug:

Rowdy

Great! As someone said, driving can never be safe enough. I don't run red lights so this isn't one bit of negative to me.

Which is all well and good, unless you're so close to the intersection or have a friendly tailgater so close that braking would be more hazardous than making the light. Thus the question. :shrug:

I think it's based on what color the light is when you cross the white line on the ground before the intersection. If it's red, you ran it. If it was yellow and you couldn't stop, then you're fine.

Tistal

We have lots of those where I live. How they work here (VA):

There are sensors at the intersection lined up with the white stop bar. As soon as the light turns red the sensor is active and a couple of things are done: 3 pictures (I think it's 3, but it may be 2) are taken and a 15 second video is taken. When the camera goes off there is a HUGE flash; you'll know you've been caught; at night it lights up the intersection practically.

Each ticket is reviewed by a person, so if you're behind a big tractor trailer which you may not be tailgating, but you can't see around, and you cross the line you won't get a ticket. Or if there is construction or an accident and the police wave you through the light you won't get a ticket. Or if you roll just a little onto the line and trigger the sensor, but you don't really run the light you won't get a ticket.

There are a lot of what if's involved which is why, here at least, each one is reviewed by a person.

My friend has a job working with the red light cameras; her and I had a long discussion about the logistics when they first started putting them up.

Wilt Dasney

^ So it sounds like you have to actually enter the intersection on a red (at minimum) to get a ticket. Fair enough. :)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Where's the tin-hat brigade? I was looking forward to reading people complain this!

AEfx

Where's the tin-hat brigade? I was looking forward to reading people complain this!

I wouldn't complain about it, nor do I think it's a conspiracy, but I do think it's lazy law enforcement and more of an excuse to make $ than for actual safety.

Oh wait, that would be a conspiracy, right? :)

In any case, I drive myself around Disney every time I am there, and as I don't run lights, I think I'll be OK. :)

dreamfinder

We have lots of those where I live. How they work here (VA):

There are sensors at the intersection lined up with the white stop bar. As soon as the light turns red the sensor is active and a couple of things are done: 3 pictures (I think it's 3, but it may be 2) are taken and a 15 second video is taken. When the camera goes off there is a HUGE flash; you'll know you've been caught; at night it lights up the intersection practically.

Each ticket is reviewed by a person, so if you're behind a big tractor trailer which you may not be tailgating, but you can't see around, and you cross the line you won't get a ticket. Or if there is construction or an accident and the police wave you through the light you won't get a ticket. Or if you roll just a little onto the line and trigger the sensor, but you don't really run the light you won't get a ticket.

There are a lot of what if's involved which is why, here at least, each one is reviewed by a person.

My friend has a job working with the red light cameras; her and I had a long discussion about the logistics when they first started putting them up.

This isn't the case in all locations. I know that some cameras are completely automated, and have mailed tickets to people who were waved across by the police. I believe you could even see the police in the picture. The person sued the town/ticket company, but I don't remember the outcome. I believe it was over turned. Good to know that some places still have someone to check them all though.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wouldn't complain about it, nor do I think it's a conspiracy, but I do think it's lazy law enforcement and more of an excuse to make $ than for actual safety.

Oh wait, that would be a conspiracy, right? :)

In any case, I drive myself around Disney every time I am there, and as I don't run lights, I think I'll be OK. :)
I tend to agree but the solution is pretty simple....don't run red lights.

devoy1701

^ So it sounds like you have to actually enter the intersection on a red (at minimum) to get a ticket. Fair enough. :)

In Tampa it activates if you enter the intersection after the light turns red, just as you said. If you enter the intersection on a yellow light and it turns red you won't get ticketed because technically you still had the right of way.

You also don't get tickets for rolling right turns at these intersections in Tampa as long as you don't go barreling through the intersection...I think you have to slow down to like 5-10mph which you should do anyway. I know this one was a hot item when the lights first came on line.

It's funny though, there is one intersection at the Brandon Mall that regardless of the cameras people run the left turn lights no matter what...I think it has something to do with the fact that it takes you 20 minutes to get through the light no matter what day or time you're there. You'll seriously see the flash go off 6-7 times every time the light cycles!

puntagordabob

This isn't the case in all locations. I know that some cameras are completely automated, and have mailed tickets to people who were waved across by the police. I believe you could even see the police in the picture. The person sued the town/ticket company, but I don't remember the outcome. I believe it was over turned. Good to know that some places still have someone to check them all though.

That would make me very angry to be waved through by a law enforcement officer and later have a ticket for doing so....

boufa

A couple of legal points. There is no law concerning yellow. Yellow is legally the same as green. It is a warning that the light will be changing to red. The laws all concern entering an intersection at red.

Should you slow down and use caution on yellow, absolutely that is why it is there, but if you read the laws they say it is illegal to enter an intersection on RED.

One other point. Our cameras (in Ohio) DO track rolling right turns. The law states that you must make a complete stop prior to making a right hand turn on red. Slowing down to 5 - 10 mph is often times very dangerous (in particular to pedestrians). I know in my area (we) heavily enforce rolling rights. In fact I have a traffic camera down the street from me, and that is ALL that it is trying to catch. Of course that is because tons of people roll right turns, and only a few people on any given day out right blow a light. So as a money maker, right turns on red are a much more profitable business.

boufa

Now for the serious question?

Can I get the photo added to my photopass CD? Are there any magic shots you can get with it? Maybe they could add an image of Stitch somewhere. Or maybe they could put a cartoon rocket on top of your car, blowing fire and smoke out.

Or maybe, if its a safety thing, they could show Mickey and Minnie walking across the cross walk with a "Oh My God We Are About To Be Run Over!" Look on their faces.... priceless. I would run the light just for the photo. Think of how much money they could make.

Along the same lines could they put up these cameras in the parks. Either a) to control the bad driving of people with strollers. or b) they could have on on main street. Every time you pass in front of the castle your photopass photo is automatically taken. They would mail you the picture and automatically bill you. This is genius!!! does anyone have Meg Croften's new phone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom